hulika

Author Topic: is it really that hard to play the trumpet?  (Read 25083 times)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
is it really that hard to play the trumpet?
« on: August 15, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »
Hello!

I really want to learn how to play the Trumpet. But it seems too hard. All good trumpet players I know have started playing the instrument since childhood. But me, I'm already in my second year of college.  to add up to that, I have no strong musical background. I play the bass and I can hardly read any notes. I also have braces, I heard that it is even harder to make the trumpet sound with braces.

what do you think?

Trumpet players! any tips for an aspiring trumpet player like me?
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: is it really that hard to play the trumpet?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »
It's not easy, but it's not impossible. I'm already in my mid-20s and I was able to play "Moon River" after a month of practicing. :)

Kaya yan! :)
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »
It's not easy, but it's not impossible. I'm already in my mid-20s and I was able to play "Moon River" after a month of practicing. :)

Kaya yan! :)
wow! you have just started playing the trumpet for one month and then you could already play such songs? wow. Okay, first thing I gotta do is buy a trumpet. I almost bought one. My dad offered to buy me one in HK when we were shopping in TOMLEE. It was a yamaha and it was not expensive. Less than 20k. But then I was still undecided so I didnt let him buy it for me. I SWEAR, the next time we go to hongkong (which is in the near future, LATEST is december), I am going to buy that trumpet.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY..

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »
No problem. But don't make the stubborn mistake that I made: get in touch with a competent teacher. I learned it on my own so the learning curve is soing to be REALLY steep. Good luck in your new hobby! :)
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

william251082

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:25:07 AM »
Much harder than saxophone for sure! But if you want to be REALLY good, all instruments are DAMN hard!

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
Much harder than saxophone for sure! But if you want to be REALLY good, all instruments are DAMN hard!
yes, i've heard from a conductor that the sax is really easy to learn and that the trumpet is damn hard.

Offline cgconn

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:39:05 PM »
The sax have a lot of keys and it looks like it's hard to learn but it is the easiest wind instrument to play compare to the trumpet or clarinet.

Offline P-CHA

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 01:25:42 AM »
haha..parang si flea... trumpet at sax ang hawak.... :-D
Make something out of nothing and nothing into something....-Nimbus9

jakobspiral

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 06:29:59 AM »
I think the flute is the easiest wind instrument, is it?

Anyway, trumpet kasi walang reed so dapat lips mo mag-produce ng vibration, which is harder. I'm not sure kung kaya with braces kasi nahirapan friend ko who has braces but he said he was able to play sax naman. Why not ask a trumpeter who had braces? I think braces will be an issue. I even postponed my plan to play the clarinet due to my braces. I hate singaws.

So plano mo magplay for the pops orchestra? :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:31:42 AM by jakobspiral »

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »

Anyway, trumpet kasi walang reed so dapat lips mo mag-produce ng vibration, which is harder. I'm not sure kung kaya with braces kasi nahirapan friend ko who has braces but he said he was able to play sax naman. Why not ask a trumpeter who had braces? I think braces will be an issue. I even postponed my plan to play the clarinet due to my braces. I hate singaws.

yes, you could play the SAX with braces.  it is highly plausible. But in the trumpet, i do not know. and i'm betting that it will be very,very hard. the trumpet is already really hard to begin with anyway! and Personally, i have not known a trumpeteer who has braces. but what I fear is that if i learn to play the trumpet now and then later on have my braces removed, it would be very hard for me to adjust since my embouchure(?) would be different. :( :( :( :( :( :(

I already play for the pops orchestra. just not as a trumpet player (and i have no plans of doing so).

thanks for the reply.

jakobspiral

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 08:40:14 PM »
wow, you got in bass! congrats! ngayon ko lang nabalitaan :)

talo mo pa kami ni roj hehe, mga di pumasang bassist ng pops :D

yup, rinig ko naghihintay pa nga muna mga bata until they get their permanent teeth to play the trumpet raw...

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »

Damnit!  And I find myself cussin' everytime I try that flute!  Easiest????  There goes my wind blowing aspirations. :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »
wow, you got in bass! congrats! ngayon ko lang nabalitaan :)

talo mo pa kami ni roj hehe, mga di pumasang bassist ng pops :D

yup, rinig ko naghihintay pa nga muna mga bata until they get their permanent teeth to play the trumpet raw...
thanks.. its nothing really. alam ko mas strict sila sa pagtanggap ng bassists dati. ;)

oh i didnt know that! but i have decided na.. im gonna buy a trumpet soon and im gonna start playing with or without braces. hahahaha.

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 12:05:39 AM »
Damnit!  And I find myself cussin' everytime I try that flute!  Easiest????  There goes my wind blowing aspirations. :-D
i really dont think that the flutes the easiest. :)

Offline ilazher

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »
in my opinion, the flute is medium hard to learn, and once learned, it is easy to play badly but  difficult to play well and in tune. I've been playing the instrument of and on for 30 years now, but i still don't like my c# tone (all keys open).

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
UPDATE:

ordered a beginner bach trumpet from a guy my friend referred. that guy is known for importing brasses and supplying local major orchestras. will get it by 3 weeks time.

in the mean time, i've been practicing with a mouthpiece and occasionally borrowing a trumpet from orchestra mates.

truly, it was very hard to make the trumpet,or mouthpiece rather, sound with braces. i've only got the hang of it by the 3rd day.
Now, (its my fifth day), i am able to consistently make the trumpet sound and little by little, creating a fuller tone. My problem is that i could not hold a note long enough when i play. hehe. and i do not have control of the notes i play. hehehehe.

basically, thats it. cant wait for my trumpet to arrive.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »
what's the difference between a trumpet and a bugle?
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

jakobspiral

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 11:38:34 PM »
the simplest non-technical explanation: bugle wala ata yung tatlong pindutan na nasa trumpet. alam ko mouth lang gamit para baguhin yung nota ng bugle.

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »
MORE UPDATES:

Day 8: 4th day WITH trumpet. 1st 4 days with mouthpiece only.

Can do High C already. And sometimes high G. also, better note control. can hold notes for around 2 bars.

konti nalang and maybe i can move to the valves na. puro open lang ginagawa ko. hehehe.

Okay na to! for someone like me!! i dont know with you, pero satisfied na ako. hahaha.  i have CERAMIC/ "Invisible" braces (even thicker than the metal ones) -_-

Offline dingricon

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
Bea,
you wear braces?...personally, i don't recommend my students to try brasses w/ braces......hmmmmm...
i don't want to judge your teacher..but...........
anyway, what book are you using?
If need more help pm me......

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 01:17:11 PM »
Bea,
you wear braces?...personally, i don't recommend my students to try brasses w/ braces......hmmmmm...
i don't want to judge your teacher..but...........
anyway, what book are you using?
If need more help pm me......
Hi! thanks for your concern. Yes, i have been discouraged many times because of my braces. I was supposed to try the trumpet last Sept. 2007 pa but was discouraged by our conductor. But now, i got enthusiastic and tried it no matter what.

I dont have a teacher. my trumpet has not arrived yet. it will arrive in 3 weeks time. So, in the mean time i am practicing with a mouthpiece (vincent bach 7c) and "connecting" it with the orchestra's stock trumpet whenever I have the opportunity to do so (the orchestra is in our school so.. i go there every break time and dismissal time).

I will get a teacher when my trumpet arrives and some of the young orchestra trumpeteers and wind players have been helping me, giving me tips.

Is there something wrong? I know that the very first time playing brasses is crucial and i must get a teacher already but I guess I got too excited and couldnt wait for my trumpet to arrive before I start playing.

Thanks. Please enlighten me. I'm not so sure with what I'm doing, i maybe have really bad technique. and the inside of my mouth hurts because of the braces (sores).   :-(

Offline dingricon

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 12:56:11 AM »
notes for the trumpet w/o pressing the 3 valves are -
low C
G (2nd line on the staff),
 high C (3rd space on the staff),
high E (4th space)
High G (above the 5th line)
etc...
check your pitch with any standard instruments like keyboard or tuned guitar or tuner... Bb instruments (trumept, clarinet, tenor sax, soprano sax etc) are 2 semitones higher than the concert pitch..
example: - Bb on piano/keys is your C on Trumpet,
                C on piano... - is your D ...

send me an email.. dingricon at yahoo dot com.......
i will share a beginner's trumpet book saved on pdf...at least you have a guide before you get a teacher (to have one  is highly recommended)...... :wink:

Offline dingricon

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »
Bea,

check your email..sent you 2 books in pdf file..not the best but it helps...let me know when you got it.....

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
Bea,

check your email..sent you 2 books in pdf file..not the best but it helps...let me know when you got it.....
Thanks! got it. :D

will try it out soon

Offline SuperWeak!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »
sana inuna nyo munang mag aral ng recorder para madali na sa inyo ang trumpet since me braces kayo dapat dun muna kayo nag focus kasi sabi yun sakin ng dad ko e (teacher ang dad ko ng trumpet,sax and any brass instrument) kasi lahat ng tinuturuan nya sa recorder muna nag sisimula tapos alam narin nila ang sax trumpet clarinet flute obue etc,etc saka pag me natutunan ka na sa recorder na piece ma aaply mo na rin sya sa trumpet,sax,flute... yan lang ang sabi sakin ng dad ko sana... nakatulong ako :-D