hulika

Author Topic: anything about the Beatles ...  (Read 360499 times)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: anything about the Beatles ...
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
something new here..

after 40 years, a George harrison unfinished song (during the Abbey road session) will be released soon with a little help from another song writer Dean Johnson

George Harrison

IT’S not every day you find  yourself writing a song with a  former Beatle.
But Wirral  singer/songwriter  Dean Johnson found himself  doing just that when he was asked  to complete  a fragment of a song  originally written by George  Harrison at the height of  Beatlemania.
The original 10 lines were given  to biographer Hunter Davies by  George for inclusion in his   Beatles biography published in  the late 1960s, but were put aside  and forgotten until  recently.

They were picked up by BBC  Radio Merseyside’s Spencer  Leigh, who suggested that maybe   a contemporary songwriter could  make the fragment into a song. He  approached Dean.
“Spencer called me out of the  blue and left a message saying he  had an interesting proposition  for  me,” explained Dean, from Oxton.

“I called him back and when he  said he would like me to work on  George’s unfinished song  I found  it unbelievable, tremendously  exciting and above all a complete  honour.

“My brief was to follow George’s  sentiment through to its  conclusion. The words were both  brutally  honest and compassionate and  Harrison was obviously writing  from the heart.

“I just tried  by my best ability  to get into the mind of someone in  George’s position and I am so  pleased that  most people who have  heard it, think I achieved a  credible continuity with the  original lyrics.”

The original fragment was  written by George when Hunter  had asked each Beatle to submit  a  sample of their handwriting. It  was then discarded as scrap paper  from the floor of Abbey Road   studio, where it is almost certain  that it would have been thrown  out by the cleaners if he had not   picked it up.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2009/11/02/wirral-songwriter-completes-george-harrison-beatles-song-40-years-on-92534-25067387/

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:24:28 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2009, 06:06:03 AM »

While I don't subscribe to the idea that Russia is evil, just perhaps its red, I'm amazed how their music touch the Russians as I wonder how the japanese were fascinated by the Beatles before when few of them can only speak and understand English :|

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=27493

The Beatles bring down the Evil Empire
Dean Robbins on Friday 11/20/2009

Beatle imitators start a Russian 'Revolution.'
Article Tools:  Read more Television items
 Email this article
 Print This Article
 Email the author

The Beatles racked up a lot of achievements in their musical career, but now we have to add one more: destroying the Soviet Union. How the Beatles Rocked the Kremlin (Saturday, 12:03 a.m., PBS) convincingly argues that the Evil Empire was brought down not by the West's nuclear arsenal or its many anti-Communist institutions, but by "I Want to Hold Your Hand." A wide range of Russian interviewees insist that Beatles music smuggled into the country gave them the vision to doubt their repressive government, along with the courage to resist it.

"We listened to the music and it saved us," says one man. "It stopped us from being Soviet slaves. That's what the government was afraid of."
Indeed, the Soviet leaders did everything they could to stamp out the Beatle menace. Guards were posted at airports to intercept black-market records, and citizens could be arrested for expressing approval of "Can't Buy Me Love." Soviet tanks may have squashed resistance in Eastern Europe, but they were powerless against the spirit of freedom heard in the bootleg tapes passed from hand to hand. As an elderly Russian puts it in halting English: "First hole in Iron Curtain vas Beatles."

I hope your grandmother, who said back in 1964 that Beatles music was nothing but noise, feels suitably chastened.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:25:52 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline fattyacid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »
yung hey jude dpat un hey jules. pero mouthful masyado pag kinanta. . jules(julian) anak ni jonh ginawa nya yun nung nag divorce si jonh and his 1st wife. . sabi nya kay julian ''hey jules dont take it bad take a sad song and make it better''at yun naisip nya isulat yung sinabi nya.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »
yung hey jude dpat un hey jules. pero mouthful masyado pag kinanta. . jules(julian) anak ni jonh ginawa nya yun nung nag divorce si jonh and his 1st wife. . sabi nya kay julian ''hey jules dont take it bad take a sad song and make it better''at yun naisip nya isulat yung sinabi nya.

may issue kasi ata to dati e na tungkol a drugs tong Hey Jude, kasama na ang Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds at Happiness is a warm gun

Offline fattyacid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »
yung lucy in the sky talagang may issue dun. yung mga unang letra nung title ginawan ng issue. "L-ucy in the S-ky with D-iamonds. . L.S.D. . . yun daw ibig sabihin ng kanta. eh nagkataon pa may interview kay paul tinanong kung nagddrugs sila and he say yes. sinabi nya gumagamit sila ng LSD. pero ung kanta daw sabi ni john eh di para dun (LSD) nagmula yun sa drawing ni julian. tinanong nya anak nya kung ano ung drawing sabi "its lucy in the sky with diamonds. ayun dun daw nya naisip isulat. pero di about sa drugs

inosnik16

« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »
tet teenew te--new!

something in the way she moves..

woooot!

the best! :mrgreen:

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »
while rock band The Who takes a break and Oaisis called it quits, Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) will again be heard.

Posted on 19th Nov 2009 19:00 to category Band / Celebrity News

Liam Gallagher recording with Zak Starkey
Great deals on musical instruments

Zak Starkey will be playing the drum kit on Liam Gallagher's debut solo album, it has been revealed.
According to the ex-Oasis frontman, he is working with several former bandmates on the project, which he will start work on next year.

Starkey, the son of former Beatle Ringo Starr, toured with Oasis between 2004 and 2008 and also plays with The Who in place of the late Keith Moon.

Gem Archer, who joined Oasis in 1999, will play electric guitar on the record, while bassist Andy Bell will also contribute.

Speaking to MTV, Gallagher confirmed that the musicians have already been demoing some new material and that he plans to release his album in July 2010.
"I'm feeling confident about the songs," he commented, adding that he believes "they could better than Oasis".

The Manchester band, who notched up hits such as Don't Look Back In Anger, Wonderwall and Live Forever, split during the summer after electric guitar player Noel Gallagher chose to quit.

http://www.gear4music.com/news/article/Liam-Gallagher-recording-with-Zak-Starkey/KP/2009-11-19
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:27:42 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2009, 06:14:55 AM »
Ringo Starr grabbed a little help from his friends for his new album Y Not, due January 12th, 2010. The Beatles drummer will be joined by his Fab Four bandmate Paul McCartney on a couple of tracks, including first single “Walk With Me,” which finds Macca and Starr sharing vocals. Other guests and songwriters on Y Not, Ringo’s first album since 2008’s Liverpool 8, include Joe Walsh, Joss Stone, Van Dyke Parks, Ben Harper and Richard Marx.

Talking about working with his old Beatles mate, Starr said in a press release, “Paul was doing the Grammys, so he came over to the house and was playing bass on ‘Peace Dream.’ So I played him this other track and Paul said, ‘Give me the headphones. Give me a pair of cans.’ And he went to the mike and he just invented that part where he follows on my vocal. That was all Paul McCartney, and there could be nothing better.”

“He makes it bigger and he makes it fuller,” Starr said of McCartney’s work on “Walk With Me,” which was co-written by Starr and Parks. “It makes the song like a conversation between us, and that was Paul’s idea to do his part one beat behind me. That’s why he’s a gen-i-us and an incredible bass player.” Macca last appeared on a Starr album over a decade ago, on 1998’s Vertical Man. The pair also reunited earlier this year at a benefit concert at Radio City Music Hall.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:16:57 AM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »

Joe Walsh is Ringo's in law

Ringo Starr Gives Brother-In-Law Work On His Next Album
by Paul Cashmere - November 21 2009
photo by Ros O'Gorman

Ringo Starr has given his brother-in-law some work, allowing him to play guitar on his next album. Mind you, his brother-in-law is Joe Walsh from the Eagles.

Obviously the Walsh marriage was the celebrity wedding no-one seemed to notice. Ringo and Joe became related last December when Marjorie Bach, the sister of Ringo’s wife Barbara Bach married in Los Angeles. It was Joe’s 4th marriage.

While that news seemed to slip by just about everybody in the media, including us, Ringo casually mentioned it in a press release this week announcing his new album.

In media release stated the cast of the album ‘Y Not’ is a “groovy and deeply felt song cycle that finds Ringo leading a smaller core group of old and new friends including longtime pal and recent brother-in-law Joe Walsh, Dave Stewart and longtime Roundheads member Steve Dudas on guitar, Benmont Tench of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on keyboards, Don Was and Mike Bradford on bass.

The album also features Starr’s engineer and co-producer Bruce Sugar on keyboards, as well as some special guests like Joss Stone, Ben Harper and Richard Marx on vocals, Ann Marie Calhoun on violin and Tina Sugandh ? aka Tina The Tabla Girl – on tabla and chanting. Starr’s songwriting collaborators on Y Not also include familiar and new names like Joe Walsh, Dave Stewart. Joss Stone, Glen Ballard, Richard Marx, Van Dyke Parks, Gary Nicholson plus Gary Wright and his former Roundhead band member, Gary Burr”.

Walsh and Starr wrote, played and sing the opening track ‘Fill In The Blanks”.
‘Y Not’ will be released on Hip-O Records though Universal in January.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »

Good news to everyone! Beatles straps are already available at JB music store.

It will only cost you 2.2k but its less 25% kaya Php 1, 650 na lang

wala sa budget pero napabili ako dalawa(Trinoma branch), revolver at help, babalikan ko pa dalawa magagandang design.

http://www.planetwaves.com/PWbeatles.Page

pass the word. until Dec 31 lang ang sale

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2009, 12:42:07 AM »

May Ilokano at Hiligaynon pa dito.  :-D
Ows? Di nga?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2009, 05:05:33 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone

Offline playamoth

• Netizen Level
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
Merry Krsnas and a Hare New Year to one and all!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »

Paul wins Gershwin award

Paul McCartney will be honoured with a fledgling but prestigious musical honour, after being named Monday as the latest recipient of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.

The U.S. Library of Congress, which administers the honour, announced the 67-year-old British musician and former Beatle as its third winner of the songwriting prize on Monday.

"It is hard to think of another performer and composer who has had a more indelible and transformative effect on popular song and music of several different genres than Paul McCartney," Librarian of Congress James H. Billington said in a statement.

Billington selected McCartney after discussion with entertainment industry leaders.
The Library of Congress houses the George and Ira Gershwin Collection, a vast resource of musical manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, other documents and memorabilia that originally belonged to the famed songwriting brothers.

"As a great admirer of the Gershwins' songs, I am highly honoured to be given the Gershwin Prize by such a great institution," McCartney said.

Organizers will celebrate McCartney with a star-studded tribute concert being planned for spring 2010, with a line-up of performers to be announced later.

First awarded in 2007, the Gershwin Prize was created by Bob Peter and Bob Kaminsky, Mark Krantz and Cappy McGarr — who also created the Kennedy Center's Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

The first two Gershwin Prize recipients were musical icons Stevie Wonder and Paul Simon.
With files from The Associated Press

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2009/11/16/gershwin-prize-mccartney.html

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2010, 10:34:04 PM »
whats really the cause of their break up sa alam mo lang? I'll share some next post from the magazines i just got early this week.  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:37:04 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2010, 12:05:14 PM »

one of the reasons of the breakup per interview by Rollingstone:

We got fed up of being side men to Paul, said John.

HowlinJohnny

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2010, 04:13:18 AM »
Truly that Ely Buendia is a fan of John Lennon because he's even mimic the way of John making a "funny face" while strumming his guitar in the beatles recording session of "And I love her". But I can't remember the Eraserheads music video where I caught Ely do the same funny face just Lennon did. Sa "With a Smile" at yun

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:15 AM »

The mighty Itchyworms used to cover Beatle songs.  :-) Fact is Dyugs own a lot of Beatles stuff :-)

Even suggested (unsolicited) to Dyugs lately if they can do a video with Chino on bass since he'sleft handed & Kelvin on lead :-)

By the way, during the making of Let it be. Fighting between John, Paul & George was somehow intense that, John & paul wanted that their songs be on separated on sides A & B as released single. John & George nearly came to a fist fight. George walked out & told them that they'll each other in clubs

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2010, 10:12:02 AM »
I thought the Beatles break up was because of MONEY. Getting fed up with Paul as sidemen was only a part of the story. Correct me if I am wrong, though it was not really highlighted, in the Anthology video, Paul was explaining how the other Beatles went to court asking for  relief regarding his action of buying in some shares of stocks at the Apple without the other members knowing. At that time, it was the father of late Linda E. who acted as an adviser to Paul. Although, later this was settled.

Probably, ownership of shares at the Apple made him think that he could now infuse his musical artisry without much argument and dictate the direction for the Beatles. Or may be not. But later on, the rest of the Beatles followed Paul's step to might as well be part of the Apple's list of shareholders.

Though, I am not sure whether or not the Beatles (either as individual or as a group) were the incorporators of the Apple, but this became an eyeopener. Later, other other acts also had their groups incorporated.

See, the Beatles were not just music revolutionaries, they also evolved to make music as their business too. It was not just the "art" after all...the money too.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
I thought the Beatles break up was because of MONEY. Getting fed up with Paul as sidemen was only a part of the story. Correct me if I am wrong, though it was not really highlighted, in the Anthology video, Paul was explaining how the other Beatles went to court asking for  relief regarding his action of buying in some shares of stocks at the Apple without the other members knowing. At that time, it was the father of late Linda E. who acted as an adviser to Paul. Although, later this was settled.

Probably, ownership of shares at the Apple made him think that he could now infuse his musical artisry without much argument and dictate the direction for the Beatles. Or may be not. But later on, the rest of the Beatles followed Paul's step to might as well be part of the Apple's list of shareholders.

Though, I am not sure whether or not the Beatles (either as individual or as a group) were the incorporators of the Apple, but this became an eyeopener. Later, other other acts also had their groups incorporated.

See, the Beatles were not just music revolutionaries, they also evolved to make music as their business too. It was not just the "art" after all...the money too.

sgt. Peppers concept had been pauls idea, and John was responsible for the best song of the Album which is A day in a life.

John saw the trouble coming when Brian Epstein died. John said " I knew that we were in trouble then, I didn't really have any misconceptions about our ability to do anything other than playing music" But Paul didn't see it that way. Paul is positive minded ( not saying John isn't, so with george & ringo), 5 days after brians death, he convinced them to do Magical Mystery Tour, which had been primarily paul's invention.

In 1969, they had been trying for days to write & rehearse new material for an upcoming live show- their first since August 1966 (San Francisco, If my memory still serves me right)- but the task wasn't going well. The only one who had any sense of urgency was paul. Said Paul " I don'y see why any of you, if you're not interested, got yourselves into this, what's it for? It can't be for money. Why are you here? I'm here because I want to do a show, but I don't see an awful lot of support."

You're right bro, Paul wanted to bring in Linda's father Lee Eastman and brother John Eastman to take the void left by Brian Epstein. All three felt that Paul already exercised enough sway over the Bands fate and they didn't want Paul's potential in laws overseeing their business. John in particular, thought he couldn't allow his partner such an upper hand.

The three wanted The Rolling stones manager Allen Klein which Paul didn't like. He didn't even sign the contract with Mr Klein.  :wink: next post naman. there's a lot of inside info about the break up of the Beatles- the best band the world ever had.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:27:37 AM by slowhandpal »

Offline Carlo Romero

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »

one of the reasons of the breakup per interview by Rollingstone:

We got fed up of being side men to Paul, said John.

Looks like an interesting issue... I have to get a copy!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
Looks like an interesting issue... I have to get a copy!

you should get a copy bro. it's very very interesting :wink:

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2010, 10:51:47 PM »
The issue about the other Beatles getting fed up as sidemen with Paul was also already discussed in John Lennon's interview with the Playboy Magazine just before his untimely death. John was unabashed to admit it. Likewise, in the book "The Love You Make, " Peter Brown also wrote the same issues about the story behind the break up. The book got a low rating for publishing Beatles stories about their downsides. But years later, Paul would corroborate the facts which John had previously said and Brown's analysis that contributed to the (Beatles) break up. Ringgo, more or less, said the same thing.

jan13

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »
Beatles Forever!!!  I bought the White Album and boy they rock! They're just amazing songwriters.
I saw the movie Across the Universe and I like the way they used the beatle songs in the movie.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Across the universe and I am Sam soundtrack.. Tha Best!