hulika

Author Topic: anything about the Beatles ...  (Read 358200 times)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: anything about the Beatles ...
« Reply #375 on: May 18, 2010, 06:24:04 AM »
Few of the many reasons why I love George Harrison too

I His voice

He’s got only one vocal style. He cannot sing like John & Paul who’s got many ways to sing. But he just sang very well in Something, My Sweet lord & While my guitar gently weeps. For me no one can sing those songs  better than him. I’ve heard a lot of cover versions by Paul Gilbert, John Mayer, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley et al.. but for me George just sang it the way it should be.

II His unselfish attitude

1. He staged the Legendary Concert for Bangla Desh. The First All Star Concert for a cause
2. He let friends do his part as lead guitarist. Paul played lead guitar in Taxman, Eric in While my guitar     gently weeps & John in For you blue.
3. He was always with Ringo when Ringo struggles to write, songs like It don’t come easy, Octopus garden, Me and you(babe), Photographs

III Guitar playing skills( best displayed on these songs)

1.   This guitar can’t keep on crying (original & new version, slide & not)
2.   Day after day (Bad Finger)
3.   Moment in Paradise (Electric Light Orchestra Zoom album)
4.   The Bluest blues ( live with Albert Lee)
5.   Octopus garden (even the demo version is nice)
6.   The end (with Paul & John)
7.   In my life (you cannot remove the intro here, simple but there can be no substitute)
8.   And I love her (Classical guitar for the intro)
9.   And your bird can sing ( Joe Walsh praised George & wonder where did he get the idea)
10.   Let it be (two versions were released)
11.   Sun King/ Mean Mr. Mustard/ Polytene Pam/ ..bathroom window
12.   I’ll follow the sun ( pure clean tone)
13.   Words of love(paying homage to Buddy Holly with nice ad lib)
14.   Hey bulldog (used SG or this song and gave the axe to his best friend Eric)
15.   Drive my car (wasn’t sure if he used slide or not)
16.   Your love ( with Carl Perkins, Rockabilly))
17.   Here comes the sun (nice acoustic rendition, Beatles version & with Paul Simon)
18.   Back in the USSR
19.   I'm only sleeping( guitar solo played backwards)
20.   Real love (who would not love the guitar works here)
21.   Free as a bird (Paul gave good words to George for the slide work here)
22.   Nowhere man( the first song I’ve heard where harmonic was used in the guitar solo part)
23.   Cheer down
24.   Johnny be good ( with Deep Purple, live)
25.    While my guitar gently weeps on the second guitar solo part with Eric Clapton( for many times, but live in Japan is the best version for me), with Gary Moore ( Live in London)

IV song writing

1.   Something
2.   While my guitar gently weeps
3.   Old brown shoe
4.   Here comes the sun
5.   This guitar can’t keep on crying
6.   You know what to do
7.   Don’t let me wait too long

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:40:52 AM by slowhandpal »

Offline Mocho

« Reply #376 on: May 18, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »
Oh sh@#$^$$#@! Sorry kung napamura ako nung binuksan ko yung internet ko kaninang umaga. Kinilabutan ako nung nakita ko to sa apple.com.

Check the trailer at http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/nowhereboy/

Tagal pa ng movie pero worth the wait, medyo teary-eyed na ko habang pinapanood ko. Parang yung mga nababasa ko sa mga libro yung mga scenes sa movie. Sana lumabas dito sa 'tin!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:28:20 AM by Mocho »

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #377 on: May 18, 2010, 09:26:42 AM »
^Nice find, Mocho.  :mrgreen:

Meron pang isang Beatle-film in its pre-prod stages. Si Liam Gallagher ang may pasimuno.

http://pitchfork.com/news/38730-liam-gallagher-producing-beatles-movie/
Ows? Di nga?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »
^Nice find, Mocho.  :mrgreen:

Meron pang isang Beatle-film in its pre-prod stages. Si Liam Gallagher ang may pasimuno.

http://pitchfork.com/news/38730-liam-gallagher-producing-beatles-movie/

Nice find indeed! sus! ang ganda ng hofner guitars na gamit! by the way speaking of Gallagher brothers, are they both Beatle fans or Liam only?

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »
by the way speaking of Gallagher brothers, are they both Beatle fans or Liam only?

Hardcore Beatlemaniacs sila! Obvious naman sa songs nila. Parang laging "teka, parang narinig ko na sa Beatles to ah." Noel admits he wants to sound like the Beatles. And Liam believes that he's Lennon reincarnated. lol
Ows? Di nga?

Offline audio deft

« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »
there was a time, though, that liam gallagher and george were quarreling. george was saying things like, liam was silly, and that in the future no one would talk about oasis, stuff like that. and liam would answer back, blah blah blah.....

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #381 on: May 19, 2010, 06:35:29 AM »
there was a time, though, that liam gallagher and george were quarreling. george was saying things like, liam was silly, and that in the future no one would talk about oasis, stuff like that. and liam would answer back, blah blah blah.....

parang nadinig ko nga yon. Parang ang last word ni Liam ay George should remain Quiet :wink:

How about the release of Love album & Oasis album na halos magkasabay sa date of release, parang may konteng intriga don ah. Hmm Bryan  :lol: please come in :wink:

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #382 on: May 22, 2010, 08:14:39 AM »
There was a rumor that the three remaining Beatles then would perform together for the Nature Law Party Concert in London 1992. Julian & Dhanni were also rumored to have attended.  :wink: A friend just told me about this but I'm getting busier these days, can't verify.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:43:12 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #383 on: May 27, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »
 :wink:

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the richest of the four? :wink:

Sir Paul McCartney is on the top of the charts -- the money charts, that is -- in the category of rich rock 'n' rollers, according to the annual list of the world's richest individuals published today in the Sunday Times. The Times says McCartney's wealth is estimated at £475 million ($730 million), placing him at fifth overall on the complete 2010 Rich List, according to NME.com.

McCartney is directly followed by Simon Fuller (£350 million), Sir Mick Jagger (£190 million), Sir Elton John (£185 million), Sting (£180 million), Keith Richards (£175 million), Simon Cowell (£165 million) and Olivia and Dhani Harrison (£160 million). Ringo Starr placed 15th with £140 million.

At the top of the rich music makers list is Edgar Bronfman and family (£1,640 million). Edgar Bronfman Jr. is chairman and CEO of Warner Music Group.

On the 2009 Rich List, McCartney was #120, up from #158 the previous year with an estimated wealth of £440m (roughly $676.4 million), down £60m (roughly $92.2 million) from the previous year.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles-Examiner~y2010m4d25-Sir-Paul-McCartney-tops-rich-rockers-on-2010-Sunday-Times-rich-list

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:45:55 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline audio deft

« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »
what more kung di sya nabawasan ng pera dahil sa divorce nya? hehe

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »
what more kung di sya nabawasan ng pera dahil sa divorce nya? hehe

I wonder why John was not in the list? His records are timeless right?

Offline audio deft

« Reply #386 on: May 29, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
I wonder why John was not in the list? His records are timeless right?

ang tingin ko, ang lamang kasi ng mga na mention na names sa mga list is that they are still able to hold tours. unlike si john, who died in 1980, sa royalties nalang aasa ang kanyang estate.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #387 on: May 29, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »
ang tingin ko, ang lamang kasi ng mga na mention na names sa mga list is that they are still able to hold tours. unlike si john, who died in 1980, sa royalties nalang aasa ang kanyang estate.

you maybe right bro. That may also the reason why Ringo is in the list too. I think these days he is equaly busy like Paul
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:36:10 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »
Years ago, Forbes mag published that Paul McCartney was already worth $4B. Not surprising. Numerous hit records, albums, concerts and investments including performing and non performing assets.

John's L. investments, other than music, were livestock and real estate. This according to "The Love You Make." There were rumours that his estate had gone close to $100M later after his death.

In the mid 90s, Rolling Stones signed a $100M US tour contract. I'm sure that in the year 2000 their US tours may have been worth more.

Offline Mocho

« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »
I've seen some clips nung mga recent concerts nya, di pa rin nagdedeteriorate yung boses  :-D

BTW, alam nyo yung mga kanta nya na ka-duet nya si Michael Jackson (Say, say, say) & Stevie Wonder (Ebony & Ivory), I've read somewhere na meron din syang duet with Kenny Rogers na hindi nirelease (or maybe rumor lang yun.).

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »
I've seen some clips nung mga recent concerts nya, di pa rin nagdedeteriorate yung boses  :-D

BTW, alam nyo yung mga kanta nya na ka-duet nya si Michael Jackson (Say, say, say) & Stevie Wonder (Ebony & Ivory), I've read somewhere na meron din syang duet with Kenny Rogers na hindi nirelease (or maybe rumor lang yun.).

This could be very possible because Kenny Rogers released an album in 1981 called "Share Your Love" produced by Lionel Richie. One of Kenny Roger's earliest country/pop crossover album. One of the tracks on that album is called "Going Back To Alabama" which Michael Jackson did background vocals. they could have done a track where they did a duet. We don't know if there are alternate or throwaway tracks during that session but we could not rule out the possibility of a duet.

RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2010, 09:48:45 PM »

Mas gusto ko ang " The Man", I just don't know if it was released only as single.

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #392 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:41 AM »
Mas gusto ko ang " The Man", I just don't know if it was released only as single.

"The Man" is taken from Paul McCartney's 1983 album "Pipes Of Piece". Unusual for McCartney is that this is one of his American sounding albums. Steve Gadd played on some tracks and did an instrumental collaboration with Stanley Clarke with the track "Hey Hey".
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #393 on: June 01, 2010, 09:20:43 AM »
"The Man" is taken from Paul McCartney's 1983 album "Pipes Of Piece". Unusual for McCartney is that this is one of his American sounding albums. Steve Gadd played on some tracks and did an instrumental collaboration with Stanley Clarke with the track "Hey Hey".

okay, who played guitar solo then bro for The Man? Was it Steve Lukather? remind me I'm having amnesia :wink:

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #394 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:44 AM »
okay, who played guitar solo then bro for The Man? Was it Steve Lukather? remind me I'm having amnesia :wink:

I don't remember too I'm afraid. It's one of the four though for sure: Eric Stewart, Denny Laine, Hughie Burns or Geoff Whitehorn.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #395 on: June 01, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »
I don't remember too I'm afraid. It's one of the four though for sure: Eric Stewart, Denny Laine, Hughie Burns or Geoff Whitehorn.

If it's between the four guys then Steve Lukather only appeared in Give my regards to Broadstreet, with his bandmate Jeff Porcaro. I think Eric Stewart also played guitar with Dave Edmunds on the film.

How about Steve Miller?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »
If it's between the four guys then Steve Lukather only appeared in Give my regards to Broadstreet, with his bandmate Jeff Porcaro. I think Eric Stewart also played guitar with Dave Edmunds on the film.

How about Steve Miller bro? in what Paul's song did he play guitar ?

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2010, 12:20:03 AM »

Steve Miller and Paul McCartney have associations as early as 1969 on the Steve Miller Band's album "Brave New World". Paul played bass, drums and backing vocals on the tracks "Celebration Song" and "My Dark Hour".

Steve Miller performed three tracks on Flaming Pie "If You Wanna", "Young Boy" and "Used To Be Bad". Steve co-wrote the last mentioned track.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2010, 05:24:24 AM »
Steve Miller and Paul McCartney have associations as early as 1969 on the Steve Miller Band's album "Brave New World". Paul played bass, drums and backing vocals on the tracks "Celebration Song" and "My Dark Hour".

Steve Miller performed three tracks on Flaming Pie "If You Wanna", "Young Boy" and "Used To Be Bad". Steve co-wrote the last mentioned track.

ang ganda seguro pakinggan nito

Offline e-guitar

« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »
Oh sh@#$^$$#@! Sorry kung napamura ako nung binuksan ko yung internet ko kaninang umaga. Kinilabutan ako nung nakita ko to sa apple.com.

Check the trailer at http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/nowhereboy/

Tagal pa ng movie pero worth the wait, medyo teary-eyed na ko habang pinapanood ko. Parang yung mga nababasa ko sa mga libro yung mga scenes sa movie. Sana lumabas dito sa 'tin!

Napanood ko na to, kaso hindi ko pa nabubuo! napanood ko sa internet! Enjoy to panuorin! Maganda pala story ng buhay ni John... :-)
DEAL REFERENCES: larry.galang, bass13man, mb.la13.