hulika

Author Topic: SOPA - Online Censorship Stike!  (Read 18941 times)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: SOPA - Online Censorship Stike!
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
Please do understand that this law mainly goes after the P2P sharing system, preventing torrent sites to share copyrighted material.  It doesn't hamper one's "freedom" but prevents people from committing piracy.  There are a lot of people who claim using  torrents are not stealing, but merely sharing information.

The main problem if this law passes, is it's a blanket law.  You won't be able to "reference" other photos and put them on your websites/blogs.  You won't be able to do "covers" for your favorite songs like (ugh) Baby, Baby and (uck) Poker Face.

You will no longer be able to get lyrics online, or even discuss anything that requires referencing other material, because anything that's copyrighted is off-limits.

Copyright, or the fancy way of saying it, Intellectual Property, is automatic.  Copyright is by virtue of creation.  Now, instead of the actual authors running after you, whether they like it or not, the government to which the author's copyright originate will.

It's like swatting Jack Sparrow and his crew whose ship is docked in a heavily populated area with a 10 kiloton nuke.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:16:27 PM by matanglawin »
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
Please do understand that this law mainly goes after the P2P sharing system, preventing torrent sites to share copyrighted material.  It doesn't hamper one's "freedom" but prevents people from committing piracy.  There are a lot of people who claim using  torrents are not stealing, but merely sharing information.

The main problem if this law passes, is it's a blanket law.  You won't be able to "reference" other photos and put them on your websites/blogs.  You won't be able to do "covers" for your favorite songs like (ugh) Baby, Baby and (uck) Poker Face.

You will no longer be able to get lyrics online, or even discuss anything that requires referencing other material, because anything that's copyrighted is off-limits.

Copyright, or the fancy way of saying it, Intellectual Property, is automatic.  Copyright is by virtue of creation.  Now, instead of the actual authors running after you, whether they like it or not, the government to which the author's copyright originate will.

It's like swatting Jack Sparrow and his crew who's ship is docked in a heavily populated area with a 10 kiloton nuke.

pano na ang party pilipinas at ch 2 artistas boys and girls? wawa naman hehehe
wala ka na mapapanood na ganun dahil hahabulin ka ng gobyerno ng US?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:37:03 PM by heyman »
yada yada yada.....

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »
pano na ang party pilipinas at ch 2 artistas boys and girls? wawa naman hehehe
wala ka na mapapanood na ganun dahil hahabulin ka ng gobyerno ng US?

Nakow!

New Manila Sound

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus

New Manila Sound

Offline weedurpart2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »
i love how some people's arguments are still because of Wikipedia. LOL

http://www.dga.org/News/Guild-News/2012/January-2012/The-Truth-About-Rogue-Sites-Legislation.aspx

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

New Manila Sound

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
ayus lang yan. rule of escalation. magkakaroon din ng technology to circle around the blocks and laws in a few months when this pushes through.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
ayus lang yan. rule of escalation. magkakaroon din ng technology to circle around the blocks and laws in a few months when this pushes through.

Remember Napster? 

New Manila Sound

Offline inzsairis

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2012, 10:44:05 PM »

even Google made a protest yesterday.. (bumalik na yata sa dati ngayon home page nila).... maapektuhan din nito yung mga marketing/advertising company sa internet... big and small...

powertrip lang talaga US congress eh...
Inter spem et metum... Inter arma carita

Offline musicdigitalsounds

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »
 :-(
Philmusicus Addictus / Lester William Polsfuss

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »

Best one I've seen.

kitteh barbeq iz baaaad!!

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:40 PM »
let them pass this damn law and tire their asses off hunting down all the gazillion coverers, derivators and linkers! magsasawa din yang US government na yan. big brother aint that big...  ^-^

Offline Mariel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »
Hmm.. Kaya ba talaga nila i-track ang mga IP natin? Lalo pa at puro proxy ang binibigay sa atin ng major ISPs? (Except for big businesses of course)

Rohirrim

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 01:33:48 AM »
SOPA and PIPA are very selfish laws, made by selfish people for the selfish people.

The bill clearly states that the judgements and orders rendered by a US court shall be automatically enforeceable against any server, computer, or any transmitting device wherever located. IT WILL NOT RESPECT THE LIMITATION OF JURISDICTION. They will shut em down with DoS and brute force attacks, that I am sure of. They need not file for an action to enforce foreign judgment. THEY WILL ENFORCE IT, not to sound flip but, WITH GREAT FORCE.

The law will in effect create a legal and government sactioned hacking and cracking of computer systems. THE VERY SAME THING THAT THEY WANTED TO FIGHT DURING THE 80s, 90s and early 2000.

chances are that if your computer is running on a pirated or downloaded version of windows or any other OS and is connected to the internet, YOU ARE NEXT.

Offline Mariel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 01:36:48 AM »
Then go Linux. The hell with this sh*tty Win OS.

*(Bitter kasi pirated ang OS harhar)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »
Hmm.. Kaya ba talaga nila i-track ang mga IP natin? Lalo pa at puro proxy ang binibigay sa atin ng major ISPs? (Except for big businesses of course)

Have you ever wondered how they tracked the guy who "wrote" the <I love you> virus?

Then go Linux. The hell with this sh*tty Win OS.

*(Bitter kasi pirated ang OS harhar)

It's not just the OS.  Most software nowadays have a background "call home" script.

New Manila Sound

Offline Mariel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »
Have you ever wondered how they tracked the guy who "wrote" the <I love you> virus?
TBH, No. I don't have the time to go Google and Wiki this (and sound smart after copy-pasting links) but I'm guessing that it took them lots of time (and money?) to track those. 

Bigla ko lang naisip kasi yung possible course of action at yung pwedeng effect nito sa mga powerless at inosenteng internet users na baka mapagbintangan ng power tripping gov't body na mamintang na lang without respecting the due process (which is similar to a forum mod banning one member's ip add na nadamay pati yung ip add ng iba)

It's not just the OS.  Most software nowadays have a background "call home" script.

Should've mentioned "go freeware" (most softwares running on Ubuntu are free).

Rohirrim

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 02:19:05 AM »
This is like putting a price tag on every Ones and Zeros generated by your computer. If it aint paid for, you aint getting it. Every single digital signature, watermark or any identifying code embedded in a particular "information" has a price, and if you want it, you must pay for it. Otherwise, they will shut you down. I can only imagine that the US will find labor and cost saving devices in order to fully enforce the law, of course they will not send agents across countries, why do that when they can send packets.. tons and tons of it, until the server fails and is rendered "down"

The horrific aspect of the law is the enforcement. Imagine a scenario where both the SOPA and IPA are passed and enforced. A forumer of philmusic quotes something from a website like Encarta Encyclopedia (assuming free wikipedia.org is already down) or an interview of an artist from some music website, Philmusic will automatically get the boot for facilitating piracy and unauthorized use of Intellectual property. Even if Philmusic servers are here in the Philippines, a US judge may summarily order to shut down philmusic without prior notice and hearing, plus the action is In Rem which means that it is enforeceable against "the whole world" no need for personal service of summons, summons may be done by mere PUBLICATION.

With the deep packet inspection feature of the law, the "user" who had committed the said infringement is put to the mercy of the FBI and US COURTS.

SOPA and IPA if passed will definitely change that way we use the internet, and now I can almost hear big brother breathing from the otherside of my telephone..

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2012, 02:22:07 AM »
You don't read or watch the news either?

One's IP address is only a small part of it.

New Manila Sound

Rohirrim

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2012, 02:23:42 AM »
You don't read or watch the news either?

One's IP address is only a small part of it.

maybe he/she was too young to remember the #amahack days and the I LOVE YOU bug..

Offline leviathan

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »
there are a lot of sites that will be affected... even the ones that provides free help for most people.. this will kick us back to 80's when we used rewind a cassette tape with a pencil where there are lots of delays and hassles all over...

Kitten BBQd is Bad..

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 03:24:31 AM »
kaya ngayon pa lang download and save as much as you can to your hard drives para meron pang mababalikan  :-D
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline weedurpart2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 07:20:30 AM »
so, i assume you know they took down Megaupload already... so this happens next. LOL i love the internet.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/01/19/anonymous-takes-down-doj-website-in-response-to-megaupload-case/

kaya ngayon pa lang download and save as much as you can to your hard drives para meron pang mababalikan  :-D

noted.

Offline DiMarzSiao

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
there are a lot of sites that will be affected... even the ones that provides free help for most people.. this will kick us back to 80's when we used rewind a cassette tape with a pencil where there are lots of delays and hassles all over...

Kitten BBQd is Bad..

I prefer the 20 peso bill...  :-D

By trying to look unique, everyone ends up looking the same.
-goes with the "sound" too

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »
I use Megaupload as a "cloud" for sending large files to clients and suppliers and vice versa.  It's more reliable than Rapidshare.

What's next?

New Manila Sound