hulika

Author Topic: The Right Amp  (Read 21299 times)

Offline ice.lacsina

The Right Amp
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
We all know that every amplifier has got their own flavors: fender amps have that bright tone, marshalls have that classic rock sound. I go to different small and medium sized venues at kung anong amp meron dun, yun ang ginagamit ko in which most are 30 to 65 watt amps.  And most of the time, I spend lotsa time just tweaking and tweaking just to get the tone that i want. I've used Marshalls and Fenders pero until now, I still haven't found the right amp for me. I just want to know if you experience the same or if you've found the right amplifier for your tonal flavors. If you do, anong amps yun at anong settings ang favorites nyo. Thanks!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Right Amp
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »
We all know that every amplifier has got their own flavors: fender amps have that bright tone, marshalls have that classic rock sound. I go to different small and medium sized venues at kung anong amp meron dun, yun ang ginagamit ko in which most are 30 to 65 watt amps.  And most of the time, I spend lotsa time just tweaking and tweaking just to get the tone that i want. I've used Marshalls and Fenders pero until now, I still haven't found the right amp for me. I just want to know if you experience the same or if you've found the right amplifier for your tonal flavors. If you do, anong amps yun at anong settings ang favorites nyo. Thanks!

Unless you play one very specific style of music, there is no one "right amp".  You'll never stop searching if you think there is.  And even if you did play one specific style of music, your ideal tone from the amp might eventually evolve because your music is also evolving.

Actually, you almost answered your own question.  Like guitars, various amps have different sounds. Determine what each is good for and use them when appropriate.  Think of them as tools for certain jobs.   If you insist on using the wrong tool, you can't expect to do the job as well or as painlessly as with the right tool. 

But if you really want to stick to one amp (tool), you'll have to make sure that you can replicate the situation in which it works best.  That means using the same gtrs, effects, cables, and the same type of room characteristics, noise, and other related factors to your sound as heard by you and the audience. 

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:48:12 PM »
marshall! -- fenders are not versatile enough!  :-(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:49:25 PM by markv »

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »
XXXX! -- XXXX are not versatile enough!  :-(

Same argument from Fender users.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:07:18 AM »
For the utmost in flexibility and combined with good tone I would recommend a Diezel Herbert.  Also, if you can afford, have a great collection of amps.  Your timbre preferences may evolve overtime but a good sounding amp with character NEVER loses its value in ANY style of music.

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:14:03 AM »
ako din parang everytime na nagtry try ako ng amp gusto ko lagi yung tunog dahil kaya bago sa pandinig ko? =)

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:38:51 AM »
Unless you play one very specific style of music, there is no one "right amp".  You'll never stop searching if you think there is.  And even if you did play one specific style of music, your ideal tone from the amp might eventually evolve because your music is also evolving.

Actually, you almost answered your own question.  Like guitars, various amps have different sounds. Determine what each is good for and use them when appropriate.  Think of them as tools for certain jobs.   If you insist on using the wrong tool, you can't expect to do the job as well or as painlessly as with the right tool. 

But if you really want to stick to one amp (tool), you'll have to make sure that you can replicate the situation in which it works best.  That means using the same gtrs, effects, cables, and the same type of room characteristics, noise, and other related factors to your sound as heard by you and the audience. 

+1 dito sa sagot ni Joric.

I don't think you'll ever find 1 amp that will satisfy you 100% of the time.  The more you play the more you'll realize that there is not one amp that will do everything well.  Take me for example I like Fender Blackface amps for clean tones and Marshalls for distorted tones.  I like to bring my amp/s to gigs.  That way hindi ko na kailangan paglaruan yung amp para mahanap yung sweet spot niya.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:17:18 AM »
I forgot to mention that the Diezel Herbert does not have any sweet spot.  At all volume settings it sounds good.  It was designed that way.  Since its a 3 channel monster, I don't even care about Fender Cleans or Marshall Drive because it has its own voicing that sounds good that wont make you miss a Fender or Marshall in a gig situation.  Despite this, I have a bunch of Marshalls for different timbre and Deltaslim is right that amps are different tools for different jobs.

However some amps are still worth keeping more than others because of their character.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 07:32:59 AM »
I forgot to mention that the Diezel Herbert does not have any sweet spot.  At all volume settings it sounds good.  It was designed that way.  Since its a 3 channel monster, I don't even care about Fender Cleans or Marshall Drive because it has its own voicing that sounds good that wont make you miss a Fender or Marshall in a gig situation.  Despite this, I have a bunch of Marshalls for different timbre and Deltaslim is right that amps are different tools for different jobs.

However some amps are still worth keeping more than others because of their character.
I bet it can do a Dumble tone.  :wink:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »
I forgot to mention that the Diezel Herbert does not have any sweet spot.  At all volume settings it sounds good.  It was designed that way.
I think that is because it relies more on the preamp saturation rather than power amp saturation, much like most Mesa amps. Anyway, the Fletcher-Munson curves (equal loudness contours) still apply, which will affect how differently you'd dial in the amp at low volume compared to higher volume.

In response to ice: Unlike your situation, we bring our own amps to gigs. My main amp is Mesa Road King with matching 4x12 cab, no pedals. But still, I get use other amps, usually with pedals. At one point I was even using a rack full of stuff.  What I've noticed is that my playing adapts to the rig that I am using. When I am playing through my Mesa rig, no pedals, I generally play tighter and more aggressive. When I am playing through some pedals into a Fender Bassman, I generally play a little looser and a bit less aggressive, more laid back. If I'm playing through a Rivera Quiana, no pedals, I am somewhere in between, leaning slightly to how I would play if it were the Bassman. I guess that over time, I subconsciously learned how to adjust, or adapt, my playing style to make the best of the difference each of the rigs have to offer. I very rarely have to change the settings. But if I have to, I always start with the amp, tone controls set at 12 o'clock, then go from there.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 08:38:14 AM »
I found ONE of my amp that I'm gonna keep for a very long time. 
It's a Brown Note D lite (Dumble Lite) obvsiously the topology of the amp is the Dumble amp.
Brown Note is the counterpart of Fuchs .... Brown Note @ west coast and Fuchs @ east coast.
Favorite Setting:
 Preamp:
Volume = 2 o clock
EQ = 12 o clock
 OD :
Gain: 10 o clock
volume : 12 oclock
Master:
for bedroom levels :  .75 to 2
Presence : 12 o clock

My other amp is a Carvin Legacy.... I know I'm gonna sell and get another amp....it's nice...but I know there's another nicer one out there. I'm also eyeing on an Allen Encore amp for my Fender clean fetish. Topology of the amp is based on the Vibrolux. I'm not really a pedal guy....I don't really rely on my pedals for my sound (like Satch) ....I'm more of an amp guy.... guitar plugged to the amp.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:10:14 AM by Phil »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 09:21:46 AM »
Phil,

Someone suggest that I use the Channel 2 of the Herbert to approximate the overdrive channel of a Two Rock Custom Signature Reverb.  Never heard one so I would not know how to get that tone from the Herbert.

I know about the Fletcher Munson effect and thats why I endorse the Herbert for flexibility because its tone controls are powerfull enough to tweak at each volume level and still retain its character at any volume.

I can vouch for it bedroom level.  Arie can vouch for it small club gig level against a dimed 1x12 and I think Wally G. had fun playing with it at loud levels.  And thats only for the clean channel!!!

Ubersam,

Agree with you on your points.  But for me it really does not matter how each amp gets its own unique voice going.  I just buy and try.  If I like it.  I keep it and forget about how its done.

+1 -- my playing adapts to every different gear. The good sounding gear seems to suggest to the player how to play.  I sound different thru my Vox AC30 and thru my Herbert but both have the same character. Go figure.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 10:55:02 AM »
There is no "right" amp, but what I can say for sure, there is always a "wrong" amp.

Each amp has its own voice, its own behavior, and for some, even the looks matter.  But for me, the right amp means an amp that can respond best to my playing style with the least processing (i.e. no compression or OD pedals) and at the same time can nail the timbre I want, that cuts through any volume scenario...  and it should also work well in a given musical situation.  You won't use a Bogner Uberschall for Jazz, you know, in the sense that you can go for a Fuchs or a nice Fender Blackface instead. 

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 06:03:32 PM »
@Sir Joric: - I agree on what you said about how our tastes evolve and how different amps have their own tone. But i guess I'm the guy who would stick to one amp since the affordability always counts on my measure. Maybe I should rephrase it from "the right amp" to "the versatile amp".

@Sir Alex - I really like how you describe the versatility of your Herbert.  I've heard and read reviews about it and they are all good. But same with the VOX AC30, I would also love your Herbert if I only had lots of $$$$$$$$. :-D Sorry, but I forgot to include the affordability. hehe.

@Sir Phil -
I'm not really a pedal guy....I don't really rely on my pedals for my sound (like Satch) ....I'm more of an amp guy.... guitar plugged to the amp.
Same here - I mostly set up simple too, that's why the amp matters to me.

To All: I guess I can split it up to 2:

(This one's for me) Let's see... If we'd stick to one 30 - 65 watter versatile amp, one that would be balanced on both clean and overdriven, regardless of the music you play, or the brand, what would it be?

(and this one's for the sake of everyone so that flames wont be burning in this thread): Let's do something like this: "I play jazz and this amp suits me best, etc..." With this everyone can learn through opinions.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »
@Sir Joric: - I agree on what you said about how our tastes evolve and how different amps have their own tone. But i guess I'm the guy who would stick to one amp since the affordability always counts on my measure. Maybe I should rephrase it from "the right amp" to "the versatile amp".

Good man.  You are a practical guy and so am I.  I buy gear in the hope that they work for my style and get a lot of utility (ie, versatile and sounds good for the many musical styles I might play).  Otherwise, I sell.  Although I do my homework before a purchase, I don't invest a lot of pride or sentimentality in my gear if they aren't working out for me, so I don't mind rolling gear in search of good sounding, high-utility tools.

If I were to suggest just one in an affordable price range, I'd say a Peavey Classic 30.  Pretty good cleans (mix of Fender/Vox/Marshall) and Marshall OD.  Even without a pedal, it covers a lot of ground.  Contrary to myth (or lies), I've never dimed it in a gig (anyone who thinks you can dime a C30 for a small club blues gig is either lying or does not know what he's talking about!); it's plenty loud and I've never gone past 12 o clock on the master vol.   I've also never had to use 2 boost/OD pedals at the same time for it.  It's got a good basic sound that just needs a different flavor sometimes depending on the song or passage.

Another option is find an amp with good cleans and use a pedal in front.  A good ol' Fender tube/SS or Yamaha amp are great for this purpose.  99 times out of 100, a good player can make that  simple setup sound as good as anything for any price, IMO. 

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 08:50:34 AM »
If you play mostly jazz with some variety and want something affordable and reliable and is easy to carry I'd go for a Roland JC-77...
Great over all sound I use it most of the time...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline buliwyf

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 09:25:46 AM »
basta malakas okay na yun, tweak tweak na lang :)

pag mahina there's nothing you can do about it kahit anong adjust pa gawin.

my personal dream amp would be a Full-Stack Marshall Major (200W all tube amp). then play it cranked in a small-ish club, destroying everybody inside who doesn't have enough faith on rakenrol.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
If you play mostly jazz with some variety and want something affordable and reliable and is easy to carry I'd go for a Roland JC-77...
Great over all sound I use it most of the time...

yup, lots of great old rolands too!

Ice,
BTW, the newish Roland Cube 60 is VERY versatile and VERY highly rated.  look into it...

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 09:58:29 AM »
Also, if you can afford, have a great collection of amps.  Your timbre preferences may evolve overtime but a good sounding amp with character NEVER loses its value in ANY style of music.

I'm now a believer in this.  'Nuff guitars... amps naman.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 10:32:46 AM »
I'm now a believer in this.  'Nuff guitars... amps naman.
PTP only.  ... s o s y a l.  :mrgreen:

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 10:37:15 AM »
PTP only.  ... s o s y a l.  :mrgreen:

PTP?  Wat dat?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »
PTP?  Wat dat?
point to point ... in short ...tao ang masosolder hindi transformer.   :evil:

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »
point to point ... in short ...tao ang masosolder hindi transformer.   :evil:

Transformer?  More than meets the eye!   :-D  Corny ako.

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 12:50:18 PM »

If I were to suggest just one in an affordable price range, I'd say a Peavey Classic 30.  Pretty good cleans (mix of Fender/Vox/Marshall) and Marshall OD.  Even without a pedal, it covers a lot of ground.  Contrary to myth (or lies), I've never dimed it in a gig (anyone who thinks you can dime a C30 for a small club blues gig is either lying or does not know what he's talking about!); it's plenty loud and I've never gone past 12 o clock on the master vol.   I've also never had to use 2 boost/OD pedals at the same time for it.  It's got a good basic sound that just needs a different flavor sometimes depending on the song or passage.

Another option is find an amp with good cleans and use a pedal in front.  A good ol' Fender tube/SS or Yamaha amp are great for this purpose.  99 times out of 100, a good player can make that  simple setup sound as good as anything for any price, IMO. 

Ooh. A Peavy Classic! I haven't heard or tried it live but i've heard those  15 watt types and i heard some punch even on the cleans, and boosting both highs and lows sounded metal on the OD channel. If the 8 incher is that powerful already, I guess the 12s would be alot better! I can't wait to try that C30. Thanks Sir Joric!

yup, lots of great old rolands too!

Ice,
BTW, the newish Roland Cube 60 is VERY versatile and VERY highly rated.  look into it...
The Roland JC Combos are good! But the only JCs I've tried were those 2X12's. I don't know if the smaller ones sound the same.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »
basta malakas okay na yun, tweak tweak na lang :)

pag mahina there's nothing you can do about it kahit anong adjust pa gawin.

my personal dream amp would be a Full-Stack Marshall Major (200W all tube amp). then play it cranked in a small-ish club, destroying everybody inside who doesn't have enough faith on rakenrol.

Langyang dream yan... Hahahaha! :evil:

I'm not very picky with amps; I just like it to have a great clean sound with lots of headroom so that my pedals can do their thing. For multi-channel amps, I prefer a crunchy blues/hard rock tone because I'm not really a high-gain metal/thrash guy anymore. I'm into Van Halen/Neal Schon/Michael Landau/Satriani dirty tones :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20