hulika

Author Topic: studio monitors on a budget  (Read 22453 times)

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
Re: studio monitors on a budget
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 12:14:15 AM »
Ok so we've established na maganda ang flat monitors...thanks all...next question...mejo dumb perro just need to confirm I guess...kelangan bang patay lahat ng EQ mo sa pc?  yung mga standard EQ's ng sound card mo?
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 01:18:31 AM »
Ok so we've established na maganda ang flat monitors...thanks all...next question...mejo dumb perro just need to confirm I guess...kelangan bang patay lahat ng EQ mo sa pc?  yung mga standard EQ's ng sound card mo?

Let me get one thing straight... your using Alesis MM 8USB right? and your speaker monitors are connected in the Mixer?

The Chain Should me PC > USB Mixer > Monitors

You should use Alesis ASIO as your main device using your DAW Apps. Your Mixer will also serve as your Audio Interface. So no need to worry about the EQ Stuffs.

Lets bring this query of yours in the USB and Firewire Mixers Thread. ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 02:06:56 AM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
I just don't get it that some folks bother to compare monitors and talk about flat response when the rooms where they are put don't match the speakers.  I mean, tuning the room is very important to utilize the flat response of monitors.  Kaya nga yung mga bi-amped monitors adjustable ang tweeter to adjust to the room's frequency response.  If you have offending bass frequencies, forget about huge bass drivers as they can give much "fake bass". Hence, you shall be having muddy mixes. 

Kumbaga, the room is just as important as choosing the monitors.  Hence you need a lot of bass trapping and make sure your room isn't very square-ish.

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »

Let me get one thing straight... your using Alesis MM 8USB right? and your speaker monitors are connected in the Mixer?

The Chain Should me PC > USB Mixer > Monitors

You should use Alesis ASIO as your main device using your DAW Apps. Your Mixer will also serve as your Audio Interface. So no need to worry about the EQ Stuffs.

Lets bring this query of yours in the USB and Firewire Mixers Thread. ;)

Hmm...you just gave me some more questions my friend.  Thanks in advance, see you in the other thread. 
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline chec

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007, 03:20:03 PM »
I just don't get it that some folks bother to compare monitors and talk about flat response when the rooms where they are put don't match the speakers.  I mean, tuning the room is very important to utilize the flat response of monitors.  Kaya nga yung mga bi-amped monitors adjustable ang tweeter to adjust to the room's frequency response.  If you have offending bass frequencies, forget about huge bass drivers as they can give much "fake bass". Hence, you shall be having muddy mixes. 

Kumbaga, the room is just as important as choosing the monitors.  Hence you need a lot of bass trapping and make sure your room isn't very square-ish.

sir may alam ka bang site na may guide or tips on choosing the monitors that is right for your room? or how to tune a room...?=)
one day it'll all make sense

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »

sir may alam ka bang site na may guide or tips on choosing the monitors that is right for your room? or how to tune a room...?=)

http://www.realtraps.com/articles.htm

I suggest that you use less powerful monitors so that you do not get as much room reflections if you cannot afford to put some traps around your bedroom so your graduation pics won't be evicted...  :lol:

Offline chec

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2007, 03:31:12 PM »
hehehe thanks sir=) yup i'm aiming to get a 5"-6" monitors naman eh...maliit  lang=)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »
hehehe thanks sir=) yup i'm aiming to get a 5"-6" monitors naman eh...maliit  lang=)

Believe me, 6" drivers are still bassy in an untreated room. 

Offline chec

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 05:23:23 PM »

Believe me, 6" drivers are still bassy in an untreated room. 

so the most advisable are the 5" monitors...=)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »
I'd go for the larger cones... better in the long run.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2007, 04:03:16 AM »
it would be adviseable to invest in the 6" woofers because, even in an untreated room, you can compensate for the lack of room treatments by adjusting the trim on the monitors, placing the monitors with ample space around it, and using de-coupling aids to isolate the lower frequencies so at least you can hear what "true" bass you monitors are putting out from your mix. i leave all my monitors flat with no boost or trim to them regardless of how big their woofer size may be so, for instance, between my Events and Genelec's, I am able to discern a consistency in my mixes even if the monitors have a different character to them. now, in an untreated room there are compromises but you can still get a relatively accurate mix by checking your mix on a spec analyzer so you can affirm that the bass you hear is the exact bass you WANT in the mix so, read up on your instrument EQ skills because using this approach allows your mix to translate better to other systems even if your monitoring environment is less than ideal.

the moral of the story is: don't skimp on your monitors, they are the most accurate window into polishing your mix accurately.

ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2007, 03:05:35 PM »
studio monitors on a "TIGHT" budget..(mainly for sequencing/live single tracks)

peace sirs, kita ko din tong thread buhayin ko lang din po...

eto po scenario:

meron po akong (2) wharfedale 8.1a diamond...balak ko pong bili ng maliit na subs para sa set up...

eto po mga tanong ko po-

ok lang ba di wharfedale ang brand na bihin para sa subs?
kung ok, anu po kayang available dito sa atin na mura mura?
pwede ba yung PC subs ang isabay(e.g. yung creative SBS 390 2.1? which mura kasi e) sa wharfedale setup for sequencing tracks?pati final mix?

salamat po..ngatz.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »

eto po scenario:

meron po akong (2) wharfedale 8.1a diamond...balak ko pong bili ng maliit na subs para sa set up...

eto po mga tanong ko po-

pwede ba yung PC subs ang isabay(e.g. yung creative SBS 390 2.1? which mura kasi e) sa wharfedale setup for sequencing tracks?pati final mix?

salamat po..ngatz.gbu

Subs, especially bandpass designs can only give you "false punch" and chances are you'll have either muddy mixes or no bass at all.

I suggest you maintain your setup and save up for a new pair of 6" or 8" monitors.  For as long as you don't get those offending bass frequencies in your room you're ok.

And let the mastering engineer do the bass cutting for you.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2007, 11:28:49 AM »
Subs, especially bandpass designs can only give you "false punch" and chances are you'll have either muddy mixes or no bass at all.

I suggest you maintain your setup and save up for a new pair of 6" or 8" monitors.  For as long as you don't get those offending bass frequencies in your room you're ok.

And let the mastering engineer do the bass cutting for you.

salamat sir skunkyfunk sa reply.ipon na lang muna ako ulet.hehehehe...tsaga nalang muna sa diamond ko.. :-) ngatz.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2007, 05:48:13 AM »
i took a closer look at the Behringer MS16 and MS20 yesterday. winamp was running through a pair of MS16's and i was thoroughly unimpressed with the sound. didn't bother to listen to the MS20, so i assume it to at least be a little better. but i'm still having a hard time getting over such a small pair of speaker sets having a power consumption rating of 80 watts.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 01:14:24 PM »
...tsaga nalang muna sa diamond ko.. :-) ngatz.gbu

sir bindoy, the wharfdale diamond's got good user reviews from those who do hiphop stuff.  actually saw ur post at studio-central.

are those monitors or audiophile speakers?  it's actually more expensive than krk rp5's.

been usin the ms40's which are not even branded as monitors, pang multi-media nga lang siya eh accoridng to behringer.  guess i just try to work with what i have.

:-) :-) :-)

OT: sir studio-central din pala kayo ah...hehehehe...astig!

sir, flat monitors po ito.hairline lang talaga with rp5 and desisyon ko...

tried them last week.ok naman sya.cant comment pa further kasi di pa ako start talaga sequencing.siguro pagtagal po sir.

pero sa review alone, superior talaga KRK!

ngatz.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
i took a closer look at the Behringer MS16 and MS20 yesterday. winamp was running through a pair of MS16's and i was thoroughly unimpressed with the sound. didn't bother to listen to the MS20, so i assume it to at least be a little better. but i'm still having a hard time getting over such a small pair of speaker sets having a power consumption rating of 80 watts.

these ms16 and ms20's are multimedia speakers. they are not really for studio monitoring. the MS40 is in the Low end for monitoring... ishould know coz i have one :). mejo kulang yung mid range ng ms40 tsaka mejo mataas ang highs. go get yourself a samson resolv 40 na lang almost same price with the behri ms40
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »
thanks for the suggestion.

i'm going to prioritize other stuff for now, though. maybe the delay can allow for something better.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2007, 02:20:25 AM »

eto po scenario:

eto po mga tanong ko po-

salamat po..ngatz.gbu

@bindoy: Kung sequencing man lang sa tracks ang purpose mo, you can do well with the KRKs kase they are of pretty good quality. Just make sure to pay attention to whatever meters you have running in your sequencer (or equipment) to stay clear of clipping, especially if you are sampling a loop for your tracks. Kicks are notorious for introducing transients that can ruin your whole mix because of the odd clip. Also, if you do get a sub, test it out with your monitors first and make sure your room is not too "live" (ie, has multiple reflective surfaces opposite you monitors) because it will wreck havok with your sub output. Not all subs are made equally so test them out at the store with a comparable monitor set so you KNOW your setup will reap the benefit of your purchase. As far as your room treatment goes, you will know that your room is not reasonably treated for destructive bass freqs if you hear bass "warbling" instead of a solid "thud" when seated in your monitoring sweet spot.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2007, 10:04:01 AM »
@bindoy: Kung sequencing man lang sa tracks ang purpose mo, you can do well with the KRKs kase they are of pretty good quality. Just make sure to pay attention to whatever meters you have running in your sequencer (or equipment) to stay clear of clipping, especially if you are sampling a loop for your tracks. Kicks are notorious for introducing transients that can ruin your whole mix because of the odd clip. Also, if you do get a sub, test it out with your monitors first and make sure your room is not too "live" (ie, has multiple reflective surfaces opposite you monitors) because it will wreck havok with your sub output. Not all subs are made equally so test them out at the store with a comparable monitor set so you KNOW your setup will reap the benefit of your purchase. As far as your room treatment goes, you will know that your room is not reasonably treated for destructive bass freqs if you hear bass "warbling" instead of a solid "thud" when seated in your monitoring sweet spot.

thanks sir, abyss...un nga sir, hehehe wharfedale ang napili ko over the KRK...hehehe.pero sana maging ok naman tong diamond 8.1a...mahabang habang test pa to.
tama kayo sir, siguro once may budget na for the subs, masmaganda nga talagang dalhin ko ung monitors ko para for testing.
i also noticed na may bass cut/filter knob ung monitors ko.di pa ako sigurado kung para san yun.better check it out first.

thanks sir for the reply, salamat salamat ! :-) :-) :-)

ngatz.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2007, 10:56:27 AM »
bindoy,

If it's any consolation, the NS-10's got their start as affordable bookshelf speakers initially marketed towards college students living in dorms (it's a US thing). Looking at all the reviews, I can see that these speakers come highly rated. If you really need to add a sub, make sure it's one that's recommended by Wharfedale.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
bindoy,

If it's any consolation, the NS-10's got their start as affordable bookshelf speakers initially marketed towards college students living in dorms (it's a US thing). Looking at all the reviews, I can see that these speakers come highly rated. If you really need to add a sub, make sure it's one that's recommended by Wharfedale.
salamat sir kitC...tignan ko nga po yung NS-10sssss  8-) mukang ok to eh...madalas pagusapan dito sa monitors.

pero sir, malamang naman di ba kung magrecommend ang Wharfedale, malamang brand na din nila un?

salamat sir.ngatz.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2007, 11:18:37 AM »
pero sir, malamang naman di ba kung magrecommend ang Wharfedale, malamang brand na din nila un?

Definitely. The Diamonds have 5" cones I see. Medyo bitin sa bass pero if you see the NS-10s, maliliit din ang woofer cones nila, around 6" ata. Mixing engineers never needed to add a subwoofer to that classic.

Try to get your ears attuned to the Wharfedales. Usually, monitors need a little burn in time to get their cones sounding properly. I've even heard of some engineers who would operate the speakers for 24 hours at high volumes just to burn them in. They just leave them is a booth facing each other; sometimes they would put one  of the speakers out of phase with the other so that the cancellation would lower the volume a bit (bet it sounds weird).

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2007, 11:41:59 AM »
Definitely. The Diamonds have 5" cones I see. Medyo bitin sa bass pero if you see the NS-10s, maliliit din ang woofer cones nila, around 6" ata. Mixing engineers never needed to add a subwoofer to that classic.
Try to get your ears attuned to the Wharfedales. Usually, monitors need a little burn in time to get their cones sounding properly. I've even heard of some engineers who would operate the speakers for 24 hours at high volumes just to burn them in. They just leave them is a booth facing each other; sometimes they would put one  of the speakers out of phase with the other so that the cancellation would lower the volume a bit (bet it sounds weird).

:-o  :-o  :-o  :lol: weird nga talaga...tekateka nahihilo na ata ako...hehehe...
naalala ko na yung yamaha NS-10!!! kelangan pa kasing makita pa ung pic e...hehehehe...yan kasi ginagamit na mixing dun sa PM recording(greenhills/QC) nung kaibigang sound engineer ko dun.ganda nga ng tunog nun!!!at tama kayo sir...ala ngang subs yung sa kanila just plain un lang talaga.

salamat sir kitC.ngatz.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline paparazzi

• Netizen Level
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2007, 11:47:56 AM »
I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a n00b question...

I've been slowly building my rig at home. I've got an M-Audio Axiom 25, a Line6 Toneport UX1 for my guitar, and my DAW is Ableton Live 6 (sometimes alternating with Logic Express). I think I need studio monitors but I can't afford mid-level ones, moreso the really good ones. I basically use the setup to do my own home recordings. Sometimes I carry the Toneport and a laptop to gigs and play live with them (guitar).

My questions is - given the very limited budget that I have - would you recommend me getting a Samson Resolv 40A for about 8K+ or ONE piece of KRK RP5 for a little less? I can't afford a pair of KRK RP5s at the moment, I can only afford half a pair. Should I get one piece of RP5 or a pair of Samson Resolv 40As? I don't think I'll be doing my own mixes yet so I'm trying to find out if I can live in mono for the meantime.

TIA.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:49:16 AM by paparazzi »