hulika

Poll

which processor is better?

Intel
0 (0%)
AMD
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Intel Vs. AMD  (Read 9934 times)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Intel Vs. AMD
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »
heehehheee..need help guys..maga-assemble ulit ako pc...mejo outdated na knowledge ko sa mga ganito...and i cant find a decent answer a tipidpc...

pero so far eto lang ang nakalap kong impormasyon:

Intel is good, pero mahal...

AMD is as good as Intel, but cheaper...

pero ang pinakamahirap sa AMD ay ang mabilis mag oveheat...

matagal na din akong walang alam sa mga ganito...paki refresh naman ang utak ko lalo na ngayon may mga dual core processors na sila...
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Intel Vs. AMD
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:39:39 PM »
Mukhang outdated na yung info mo. hehehe.

Last time AMD processors had real heat problems was during the heyday of the first generation of Athlon processors. And that's like what, 7 or 8 years ago? Intel had its own share of heat problems more recently with their Prescott Pentium 4's.

Intel and AMD has been neck in neck for several years now, neither leading the other in the performance race for long periods. Right now, it seems like Intel has the edge with their Core 2 processors (dubbed The Empire Strikes Back). Performance versus the X2 can be debated upon, but in terms of acceptance, lamang yata ng kaunti Intel.

Personally, I think it's fine to go either way.

Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
heheheee....my friend who owned an AMD sempron got some heat problems too...and meron din ganun problems dati sa mga users dati ng pc na sinu-support ko sa dati kong work...

pero siguro ok na nga ang AMD ngayon...mag assemble ako ng pc na naka X2 hehehee...

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »
oo nga kosang marzi mejo outdated ka na sa info...

the last news i heard and read... amd is planning to stop making processors in the not so coming future... BUT they will be the one to distribute the chips for INTEL

bottom line is... AMD still won :D ppero wala ng competition kung magkataon kasi lahat Intel na
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline D3m1tr1

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:05:29 AM »
Intel pa din, In terms of durability...AMD is cheap..yes, but think of the long run...so pay for good quality...Hope you think about it, because it would be hard if you after buying an AMD processor, you'll be buying an Intel processor and another motherboard again... God bless.
"Live life with a purpose" from "Purpose driven life"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
Intel pa din, In terms of durability...AMD is cheap..yes, but think of the long run...so pay for good quality...Hope you think about it, because it would be hard if you after buying an AMD processor, you'll be buying an Intel processor and another motherboard again... God bless.

Doesn't matter. Anytime a socket changes, you WILL be buying a new processor and motherboard. Intel and AMD are both guilty of this (Intel with their 478- and 775-pin Pentiums and AMD with their 754/939-pin and AM2 Athlons). The older Pentiums (pre-C2D) were notorious for being power hungry (hence, very hot) and pricey, while the very early Athlons and Durons did suffer from heat problems. There IS NO DIFFERENCE in terms of quality and durability - price is often not an indication of quality, this is just plain uninformed. AFAIK, the reason for a lot of heat related problems with the athlons has more to do with USER ERROR than anything else and is not a reflection of the chip manufacturer itself. As a matter of fact, the later Athlons and Athlon64s DID trump the equivalent Pentiums at that time in terms of performance, power consumption and heat dissipation. Let's not try to spread false info here. I have used Pentiums and Athlons and usually, it was a game of leapfrog between the 2 with the next socket release usually outperforming their competitor's by a wide margin.

Don't try to rely on some site's cpu reviews because some have a decided slant towards a particular manufacturer; Tom's Hardware, for example, is decidedly pro-Intel. Always take any review with a grain of salt because there was a recent study conducted on the amount of payola involved in online reviews and it came out to something like 89% of all reviews had payola.

What's worrying now is that AMD's financial troubles may cause Intel to be the remaining cpu manufacturer. The recent cpu price wars did affect AMD greatly; this is not a reflection of AMD's quality but of Intel's cut-throat competition strategies. This is not good for consumers since that will mean a monopoly and we all know how Intel likes to price their procs higher than the competition. If there's no competition, what's to stop them and keep them in check? Think about it for a while.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline D3m1tr1

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:02:24 PM »
It a matter of choice, I didn't based it on some site reviews. True that some problems are with the user in regards with the heat problems, so for me with my experience, I rather go with Intel, unlikely for my friends who got AMD before, now they wanted to get Intel processors...A lot of people is not tech wise including me. Hindi naman tayo parang US na malamig ang environment...so there are two choices...Intel or AMD. Basta ako Intel parin.  :lol: God bless po.
"Live life with a purpose" from "Purpose driven life"

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:09:56 PM »
The empire strikes back?!?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  nice.  thanks, al!   :-D

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »
thanks for the infos guys!

like i said, sobrang outdated na ang knowledge ko sa mga ganito...

thats bad...AMD is planning to surrender? awww....wala na tayong magagawa pag nagdecide na taasan ng Intel ang prices ng processors nila...

balik na lang tayo Cyrix!  :lol:

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:58:54 AM »
Cyrix is quietly making its mark in the ultra-portable laptop market with it's C7-M processor. But for desktops... I don't know.

You mean to say AMD processors are less durable?

The same Athlon XP1600+ I used five years ago is still doing fine in a family friend's house. We donated a Duron-based PC in my school more than six years ago. It still works fine to this day. I currently have an Athlon64 3000+. I've had it for nearly two years and has been overclocked to 260-270MHz for more than half that time, and, until lately, runs nearly 24/7. Ultra-stable.

The truth is there's really no telling which is generally more durable, as nobody has really gotten to test the supposed 15-year lifespan of a processor. Most other components die out much much sooner and the upgrade cycle is too fast. It's largely a matter of perception since Intel procs are usually more expensive and that they've been around much longer.

jakobspiral

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
Don't try to rely on some site's cpu reviews because some have a decided slant towards a particular manufacturer; Tom's Hardware, for example, is decidedly pro-Intel. Always take any review with a grain of salt because there was a recent study conducted on the amount of payola involved in online reviews and it came out to something like 89% of all reviews had payola.

I read the confession of a former reviewer for Guitar Magazine somewhere in the internet, binabayaran raw sila para mag-bigay ng good review for gear. I don't know if that's true though.

Anyway, sabi ng techie sa computer shop in Gilmore, when they tested it mas maganda raw AMD for graphics, pero mas mabilis nga lang uminit.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Anyway, sabi ng techie sa computer shop in Gilmore, when they tested it mas maganda raw AMD for graphics, pero mas mabilis nga lang uminit.

Well, for one thing, most AMD procs prior to the Athlon64's didn't have heat spreaders so you could say that they tended to reach operating temps much faster than Intel procs. OTOH, that fact that Intel procs needed those heat spreaders in the first place is that they needed a more efficient way to radiate heat out from the core because of their higher wattage output... even during idle!

Intel procs prior to the C2D are notorious for heat output. If you are able to find an unbiased comparative report between AMD and Intel, you will find that AMD consistently had lower operating temps; only the newer 65 nm and 45 nm process C2Ds now beat AMD in terms of heat but that is debatable because AMD procs tend to run cooler in idle. This translates to less energy consumption and hence, more power savings.

The present king-of-the-hill are Intel's Core 2 Duo's however, and I'm planning on that proc for my next build. AMD's next core will be the Barcelona/Phenom quad core and hopefully, it will be able to at least equal Intel's quads. We definitely need the competition between the 2 if prices are to remain at the low levels they are now. I shudder to think what would happen if only Intel emerged as the sole processor manufacturer.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

jakobspiral

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »
Oh yeah, they might raise their prices to absurd levels if AMD goes away! :-(

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
bili ka ng cooling fan na tatak volcano.....mga 700 - 1000php un last time i checkd....medyo rare nga lang kasi di na ata sila gumagawa......super reliable.....my AMD does not overheat kahit buong araw nakabukas...medyo may konting noise lang from the strength of the fan expelling heat.....but for me...who cares kung may konting ingay....mas malakas naman ung speakers ko (creative 350 ata or 370..basta malakas) and at least di overheat.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »
bili ka ng cooling fan na tatak volcano.....mga 700 - 1000php un last time i checkd....medyo rare nga lang kasi di na ata sila gumagawa......super reliable.....my AMD does not overheat kahit buong araw nakabukas...medyo may konting noise lang from the strength of the fan expelling heat.....but for me...who cares kung may konting ingay....mas malakas naman ung speakers ko (creative 350 ata or 370..basta malakas) and at least di overheat.

True. Dati akong Volcano 6+ owner. Up to 42 deg C lang temps ko... pero nabingi naman ako... huh? wazzat?  :|

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 10:43:24 PM »
exagerate naman kayo sir....di namn ganun ka ingay eh

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »

Trust me when I say maingay ang volcano. I upgraded from a Volcano 6+ (7,200 rpm) to a Thermaltake Beetle (now at 1,850 rpm) when I moved to an Athlon 939 platform. The silence was very refreshing. I experienced ear fatigue with the volcano to the point of headaches after working on my pc for at least 2 - 3 hrs. It forced me to take frequent breaks as a result. I can now work longer on my pc without problems unlike the volcano where I had to take breaks every 45 mins or so.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 02:31:29 AM »
You can go with AMD and install three large exhaust fans in your cpu case tapos tapat mo sa aircon at electric fan. hehe.

But if i were you and i had the money id go with intel, i dont even know why. hehe
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
You can go with AMD and install three large exhaust fans in your cpu case tapos tapat mo sa aircon at electric fan. hehe.

:?

You obviously haven't touched a Prescott's HSF under full load, have you?

My Athlon right now only has 3 fans; one intake which cools the HDs, one HSF (with heatpipes for better efficiency), and one exhaust - no need for additional electric fans and I don't have airconditioning. Highest recorded temps were 55 degrees C during summer. Your knowledge of AMD is largely outdated.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:07:14 AM by KitC »

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 03:48:34 PM »
damn....am i really that outdated?  :lol:

anyways...nakapag decide na ako...im going for the AMD X2's...mag invest na lang ako sa cooling nya para hindi masira...mukang ganun din naman mangyayari pag bumili ako ng pricey na Intel C2D tapos gagastos din ako sa fans and cooling devices...

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 08:42:52 PM »
The Intel C2D E4300 isn't pricey.

Anyway, as long as you won't be doing any real serious overclocking, the stock HSF will do fine. Heck, an E4300's FSB can really be cranked and the stock HSF will still be able to handle it pretty well. Many of the new chassis being sold today already have intake and exhaust fans included. And it case what you buy doesn't, them black fans are pretty cheap now. Of course, ibang usapan na kung bling bling ang habol mo din.

Honestly speaking, the real reason why I went for an aftermarket heatpipe HSF was for a more silent operation.

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 10:32:06 PM »

Trust me when I say maingay ang volcano. I upgraded from a Volcano 6+ (7,200 rpm) to a Thermaltake Beetle (now at 1,850 rpm) when I moved to an Athlon 939 platform. The silence was very refreshing. I experienced ear fatigue with the volcano to the point of headaches after working on my pc for at least 2 - 3 hrs. It forced me to take frequent breaks as a result. I can now work longer on my pc without problems unlike the volcano where I had to take breaks every 45 mins or so.

hmmm....my pc uses a volcano....yeah its noisier than most computers running on other fans....but i just ignore it and concentrate on what im doing....during summer nga..halus buong araw ako sa tabi ng pc ....doesnt bother me....

pero these days parang namimiss ko na ung sound ng fan na un hehehe...tahimik ang laptop eh...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 11:43:36 PM »
KitC has a DAW. he can't afford to ignore the noise. hehehehe.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 01:00:47 AM »
KitC has a DAW. he can't afford to ignore the noise. hehehehe.

Yup! Even when wearing my trusty headphones.  :-D (Damn those Senns are like head vices... these AKG's are truly liberating.)

The fact that AM2s run cooler in idle are enough to sway me to AMD for the next DAW build but I can't find a suitable chipset... and the newer E2140 seems too hobbled with the lower L2 cache. I'm liking the E6750's but they're pricey and I won't go for the xx00 C2Ds because of their reported BSODs. What's an upgrader to do?  :|

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 06:20:39 AM »

:?

You obviously haven't touched a Prescott's HSF under full load, have you?

My Athlon right now only has 3 fans; one intake which cools the HDs, one HSF (with heatpipes for better efficiency), and one exhaust - no need for additional electric fans and I don't have airconditioning. Highest recorded temps were 55 degrees C during summer. Your knowledge of AMD is largely outdated.

that was what i was told by that sales personnel when i bought my processor last feb. hehehe saying it was the reason it was cheaper. Ouch my butt hurts. hehe
The fretboard is a vast universe.