hulika

Author Topic: The PRS Thread...  (Read 496114 times)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The PRS Thread...
« Reply #950 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
I don't like that heel either. Dati daw kasi maliit yung heel, but then there were dead spots on the fingerboard. Nung hinabaan nila yung heel, nacure daw yung dead spots na yun.

Sa mga 24 fret models yata medyo maiksi ng konti ang heel. I've seen that Ed Roman heel mod sa website niya. I think the luthiers here can do the same.  :-)
But I'm a bit skeptic about having a heel mod done. Baka kasi magkaroon nung dead spots na yun or baka hindi maging stable yung neck. I dunno. But a smaller heel would certainly a big comfort pagdating sa upper frets.  :-)

PRS's fingerboard radius is 10". It feels good, though kung naka wrap around tailpiece, ang hirap hanapan ng aftermarket na sakto sa radius nun. Most common na aftermarket tailpiece ay mga 12" ang radius.

Although I have yet to see an older and smaller heel, I was always under the impression that they made it that big for "strength."  Irregardless of whatever their reasons are for making them that big, I know of some US made and a lot of Korean made ones (including my SE) that have uneven sustain length on a particular fret.  This is what you are calling a dead spot, right?  In my SE's case, tune down half a step and the dead spot moves up a fret.  I guess it has something with the frequency in which the wood resonates and vibrates.

We share the same sentiments as far as the heel mod is concerned.  I could live without it.  Why wreck PRS's exquisite paint job (on US models at least)?  PRS has one of the best paint jobs IMO and they know it.  I think that is actually the reason why we seldom see PRSes in natural finish.

Yeah,  I cannot live with anything lower than a 9.5" radius.  Isn't one of the US Santana's in 12" though?  I suffer your same predicament as far as replacemnt bridge parts are concerned.  I've given up looking for a replacemnt ready-made trem block but am quite scared to have one fabricated because if the original block gets destroyed as they try to replicate it in steel, I'll have one unusable guitar!   :-(

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #951 on: November 09, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
Although I have yet to see an older and smaller heel, I was always under the impression that they made it that big for "strength."  Irregardless of whatever their reasons are for making them that big, I know of some US made and a lot of Korean made ones (including my SE) that have uneven sustain length on a particular fret.  This is what you are calling a dead spot, right?  In my SE's case, tune down half a step and the dead spot moves up a fret.  I guess it has something with the frequency in which the wood resonates and vibrates.

We share the same sentiments as far as the heel mod is concerned.  I could live without it.  Why wreck PRS's exquisite paint job (on US models at least)? PRS has one of the best paint jobs IMO and they know it.  I think that is actually the reason why we seldom see PRSes in natural finish.

Truly.
But it doesn't apply to all their guitars, particularly with Modern Eagles. I've got evil plans sine the ME has a rosewood neck. If it's finished or not, I'm not yet sure. But it looks unfinished or maybe have a satin finish to it. No poly or sticky gloss finish at the back. Therefore, it might be easier to have the heel modded. lol. More reasons to get a USA PRS.  :evil:

O yes. I really don't like their guitars in natural finish. I love it when it's brown, gray-black, emerald green, wine red, or the ME blue.  :-)

Then again, how do we explain the neck joint of a 305 and a 513? Darn those guitars. Abominations when it come to the neck heel. If we thought that the large heel is large, if you see the neck joint of those two models, you'll sh@tbrix.  :lol:

Yeah,  I cannot live with anything lower than a 9.5" radius.  Isn't one of the US Santana's in 12" though?  I suffer your same predicament as far as replacemnt bridge parts are concerned.  I've given up looking for a replacemnt ready-made trem block but am quite scared to have one fabricated because if the original block gets destroyed as they try to replicate it in steel, I'll have one unusable guitar!   :-(

You can get a replacement part direct from PRS, though. But the sad part is, it's gonna cost you and arm and leg.

Bummer those US Santanas. They look really good, I'd stare at them all day. It's got a really short scale length too. Santanas have 11.5", I think. The acoustics have the 12". But I've read that the neck of the US Santana models are friggin baseball bats!  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:52:30 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline ernestjulian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #952 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »
Hey man. The 25th Anniv SE Custom 24 has a wide thin neck. It's a different feel but I am digging it. Yes, it is Korean made but the eagles make the neck feel so much better..... Got mine on sale and JB still on sale now till the 15th.

+1
I play guitars for EMBERCORE | LITA'S CURSE | BLUNT CONCEPT

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #953 on: November 09, 2010, 11:21:12 PM »
Truly.
But it doesn't apply to all their guitars, particularly with Modern Eagles. I've got evil plans sine the ME has a rosewood neck. If it's finished or not, I'm not yet sure. But it looks unfinished or maybe have a satin finish to it. No poly or sticky gloss finish at the back. Therefore, it might be easier to have the heel modded. lol. More reasons to get a USA PRS.  :evil:

O yes. I really don't like their guitars in natural finish. I love it when it's brown, gray-black, emerald green, wine red, or the ME blue.  :-)

Then again, how do we explain the neck joint of a 305 and a 513? Darn those guitars. Abominations when it come to the neck heel. If we thought that the large heel is large, if you see the neck joint of those two models, you'll sh@tbrix.  :lol:

You can get a replacement part direct from PRS, though. But the sad part is, it's gonna cost you and arm and leg.

Bummer those US Santanas. They look really good, I'd stare at them all day. It's got a really short scale length too. Santanas have 11.5", I think. The acoustics have the 12". But I've read that the neck of the US Santana models are friggin baseball bats!  :lol:

On that note, then maybe the SE Opeths are the way to go for those heel mod thingamagigs.  The flat finish on those maple necks look doable.  But man!  Don't you just feel like you're bastardizing them when you do something as drastic as that?   :-D

As far as a replacement, complete US trem assembly upgrade is concerned, PRS does not recommend it because the pivot screws are in inches instead of the SE's metric units.  PRS did not explain any further when I inquired about it ages ago.  They said that the only US bridge part I could use on the SE's bridge were the stainless steel saddles.  This confused me further because I was under the impression that the saddle string slot should be aligned with the pivot screws so if the US saddles would fit on a korean bridgeplate, why wouldn't a US bridge align with the SE's existing pivot screw holes?  You are right, the korean vs. US parts incompatibility is one huge bummer.

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #954 on: November 10, 2010, 04:49:40 AM »

Yes sir. Me and my trusty acoustic. Bokalbs all the way.  8-)

:lol: :lol: FB.

Nasan ang pamatay na shorts?
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline ammospau

• Netizen Level
« Reply #955 on: November 10, 2010, 05:29:33 AM »
share ko lang latest pic ni tremonti ko hehe! walang laitan ng quality ng pictures ha? lol

with his brother cort evl-z4 and family  :wink:

Gabby Alipe ikaw b yan?  :lol:

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #956 on: November 10, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »

Medyo siya nga yan :lol:
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #957 on: November 10, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
On that note, then maybe the SE Opeths are the way to go for those heel mod thingamagigs.  The flat finish on those maple necks look doable.  But man!  Don't you just feel like you're bastardizing them when you do something as drastic as that?   :-D

Man that satin finished neck on the Opeth look promising. Imagine a glossed body pero ang neck ay parang sa mga SE Standard.  :-) It would feel great! Though I doub't about the mod there kasi singlecut siya. Damay na yung heel sa body. lol.

I dunno, I don't think it's bastardizing the guitar if the mod would push through. Perhaps just something that would bring out more of the guitar's potential.  :-)

As far as a replacement, complete US trem assembly upgrade is concerned, PRS does not recommend it because the pivot screws are in inches instead of the SE's metric units.  PRS did not explain any further when I inquired about it ages ago.  They said that the only US bridge part I could use on the SE's bridge were the stainless steel saddles.  This confused me further because I was under the impression that the saddle string slot should be aligned with the pivot screws so if the US saddles would fit on a korean bridgeplate, why wouldn't a US bridge align with the SE's existing pivot screw holes?  You are right, the korean vs. US parts incompatibility is one huge bummer.

Oh yes. Metric versus US standard measures.

For the bold part, yes. That's my impression too. Same with other trem systems where the saddle slots align with the pivot screws. Tricky bummer.

Nasan ang pamatay na shorts?

Just got word from Sir Spankyrigor last night. My orders finally arrived. It was supposed to arrive on the 19th. Earliest the thought would be on the 12th. But nooooooo. It was so friggin fast! 10 days ahead of schedule. Once naikabit ko na, it's photoshoot day.  :lol:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #958 on: November 12, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
From my boring and straightforward pickup wiring on page 16,

I changed the configuration of my guitar.

1 500k push/pull volume pot and 1 500k push/pull tone pot.

volume pulled up - neck parallel
tone pulled up - bridge parallel

volume pushed down - neck series
tone pushed down - bridge series

I like this better than coil split. Having two push/pull pots also adds a great diversity in sounds.  :-)
I wired them sa perf board para hindi masira yung parts. At kung magpapalit ako ng kung ano man, madali isolder at idesolder. Hindi masikip. Pickup wires were soldered sa perf board na mismo.  :-)

:-D :-D Inspiration came from Sir BAMF's parker fly works.  :-D :-D

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:01:25 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #959 on: November 12, 2010, 12:59:58 PM »
Finished wiring everything last night.  :-)

Shorts pictorial to follow.  :-D

Offline renz13

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #960 on: November 12, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »
^nakalagay dun sa kama yung pants baka suot na yung shorts :lol:

cloth wire po gamit nyo?
Transactions: yahoo!, sinosimelo, pentagram x, BossingBoss, masterchoxter, r_chino18, Souljp21, Xelly, Atomo, steliocore, allanfig, captcalamares, cenchria

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #961 on: November 12, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
^nakalagay dun sa kama yung pants baka suot na yung shorts :lol:

cloth wire po gamit nyo?

LOL. Haha. Pants ni cayle yun, yung taas na kama ng double deck ang kama ko.  :-D

Yes bro. Vintage cloth wire ang tawag, galing sa WDmusic.  :-) Stranded siya pero matigas, parang solid wire tuloy ang dating. Maganda.  :-)

Offline renz13

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #962 on: November 12, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
LOL. Haha. Pants ni cayle yun, yung taas na kama ng double deck ang kama ko.  :-D

Yes bro. Vintage cloth wire ang tawag, galing sa WDmusic.  :-) Stranded siya pero matigas, parang solid wire tuloy ang dating. Maganda.  :-)
cool....dagdag mojo din yung cloth :-D
Transactions: yahoo!, sinosimelo, pentagram x, BossingBoss, masterchoxter, r_chino18, Souljp21, Xelly, Atomo, steliocore, allanfig, captcalamares, cenchria

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #963 on: November 12, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
 :-) ganda ng prs mo. sana magkaroon na partner Epi LP ko. PRS custom 24 is the sheeeiiiitt! HAHA!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #964 on: November 12, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
:-) ganda ng prs mo. sana magkaroon na partner Epi LP ko. PRS custom 24 is the sheeeiiiitt! HAHA!

Thanks bro. Custom 24 is also my dream.  :-)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #965 on: November 13, 2010, 01:59:04 AM »
Hey, chino.

Please do a demo of the parallel/series option you did when you have time.  I'm only familiar with how a parallel/series wiring between 2 buckers would sound and I would really love to hear how that wiring option will sound on individual buckers.

Also, aside from the ease of removal and remodifications, what are the other advantages of hooking it up via perfboard?  You may have something very useful there and I would really like to know.   :-)

Thanks bro.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #966 on: November 13, 2010, 08:21:36 AM »
Hey, chino.

Please do a demo of the parallel/series option you did when you have time.  I'm only familiar with how a parallel/series wiring between 2 buckers would sound and I would really love to hear how that wiring option will sound on individual buckers.

Will do shoot a demo when I find the time bro. May utang pa din ako sa kanila na shorts shot. lol. Pag parallel wiring, medyo parang single coilish ang sound pero mas full and has just a little volume drop compared to coil split. Hum cancelling din.  :-)

Also, aside from the ease of removal and remodifications, what are the other advantages of hooking it up via perfboard?  You may have something very useful there and I would really like to know.   :-)

Thanks bro.

Hmm. I dunno. I actually did it for the ease of removal and mods. Pati para hindi ako solder and desolder sa mismong lugs ng components, baka kasi masira or maiging madumi. Saka masikip sa cavity, kung magsosolder ako samismong lugs ng pots or whatnot, I'd have to take them all out the solder them sa labas para madali. With the board, I just solder them there mismo. Yung ground ko ay may connection sa board so andun na sila lahat then nakaconnect sa likod ng volume pot.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #967 on: November 14, 2010, 09:18:41 PM »
Just bought a few boxers. Para makapag picture na. lol. Tomorrow is the day. wtf.  :-D :-D

Offline paulo0027

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #968 on: November 14, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »
Just bought a few boxers. Para makapag picture na. lol. Tomorrow is the day. wtf.  :-D :-D

nice  :-D
akala mo
MARIA CLARA yun pala MARIA OZAWA

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #969 on: November 15, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »

Malayo ang tingin. Alone.

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #970 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
GAS!!!

PRS Custom 24 SE

Just love the top!!!
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #971 on: November 15, 2010, 12:52:18 PM »
^^ noice!  :-D

SE Semi Hollow...GAS..

Offline ernestjulian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #972 on: November 15, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

hahaha! yung prs tremonti ni gabby alipe na kakakuha ko lang last week eh yun talaga si gabby alipe. hahhaa! impostor yang prs tremonti ko na yan ahhaa!
I play guitars for EMBERCORE | LITA'S CURSE | BLUNT CONCEPT

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #973 on: November 15, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
^^ noice!  :-D

SE Semi Hollow...GAS..

worthy bro.  may ganito pa ba sa JB Music?  :-D
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #974 on: November 15, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
worthy bro.  may ganito pa ba sa JB Music?  :-D

Merong isa kahapon sa JB music South Mall.  :-)