hulika

Poll

Which do you prefer?

double pedal
24 (58.5%)
double bass
17 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Double Bass vs. Double Pedal?  (Read 19699 times)

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
Double Bass vs. Double Pedal?
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:18:43 PM »
double peds na ako!!! lalo na iron cobra
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline Eni

double bass vs. double pedal
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »
2 bass is a pain in the ass pag tune mo pareho. pero i like 2 bass.

Offline omnicloud7

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 07:16:28 PM »
may kanya kanya namang choice ang drummers jan. ako, siguro dobol peds na lang kasi may convenienve factor ito para sa akin.  :D

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:20:01 AM »
OT question: meron ba kayong kilala na naka double bass? i have yet to see somebody locally with 2 bass drums

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:27:46 AM »
Magastos ang double bass e, pero balita ko mas balanced ang feel niya compared sa double pedal.

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 12:56:10 PM »
Quote from: peeves24
OT question: meron ba kayong kilala na naka double bass? i have yet to see somebody locally with 2 bass drums

ako naka dobol bass. pro binabalik ko din sa single kasi hindi na kasya sa kwarto ko. yung drums kasi ng friend ko andito eh. yun nga lang iba kulay
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline ciro

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »
Pare hassel sa gig yan pag double bass... tagal mo mag set up... tapos ang dami mong dala...
for faster inquiries call me 09175297440

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
Double bass is more of a logistic problem because you need to lug around 2 bass drums, you need 2 sets of kick mics (and that's an extra track in the mixing board), you need to tune them as similar as possible (except when it's not same in size or if you want both drums not to sound the same), and it takes a good amount of floor space.

I haven't tried playing a double bass kit yet, but I would love to if I have the chance.  Mas solid nga daw ang feel.  

I have an old Modern Drummer magazine which discussed this topic - double bass vs. double pedal.  I can't remember which issue.  If I could find that article, I'll try to post some excerpts of opinions from different drummers like Mike Portnoy, Virgil Donati, Simon Phillips, etc.

Personally, I prefer double pedals.  It's convenient, and it's what I'm already used to.  And with today's technology and design improvements, double pedals are much better nowadays.

Offline OOOPSiE

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:17:09 AM »
its more like asking na ano mas gusto mo dalin sa gig... double peds or another bass drum???? hehehehe.... isipin mo papunta ka ng gig me dala kang bass drum :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
DEGUSTIBUS NON DESPUTANDUM EST

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 02:35:19 AM »
I don't know about playability but double bass kits look grooovy:

Offline rexdrummer

For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 02:05:46 AM »
This is for bangbus and others who want to find out how to move the Hi-hat stand closer to the left bass pedal.

I use a Pearl HA 100 Hihat to bass drum attachment

and Pearl AX 20 Dual Quick release clamp

attach the clamp on the left bass drum...ingat lang kasi nagkaka mark ang finish so if you want put a tape on the area where you want it placed.

I belong to the Lord's Drumline!

My kit : 9pc Pearl export (Jet Black) Cymbals: Sabian paragon and vault Hardware: Pearl Icon & Elim. double peds.  Pearl Reference series (Granite Sparkle)

Offline rexdrummer

For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 02:14:09 AM »
Next you can attach the Z rod to the clamp like this

The next picture will show you what you need to attach to the Z rod and that will also serve to connect with the AX 20 dual clamp.

My kit : 9pc Pearl export (Jet Black) Cymbals: Sabian paragon and vault Hardware: Pearl Icon & Elim. double peds.  Pearl Reference series (Granite Sparkle)

Offline rexdrummer

For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 02:31:08 AM »
The last picture shows the AX 20 clamp is attached to the Hi-hat stand, plus the other end is clamped on to the Z rod.

Just remember since you only folded the legs that will give you limited options on how to angle your Hi-hat pedal. Also make sure that the stand is balance/straight. You need to make sure you're protecting the bass hoops against too much weight.

Offline rexdrummer

For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 02:36:23 AM »
Bangbus and fellow drummers hope this helps you on what you need to know. If not hey just send me a reply and I'll try to help the best way I can.

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 03:30:44 AM »
Hi Rex, thank you so much for your prompt reply! I will go down to my local drum retailer today and get one as I badly need it to accomplish a double bass setup like your tight kit! This the last thing that I need after recently acquiring an additional left floor tom. I'll send you pix when i'm done. Once again Rex thank you for hooking me up!

Best regards to you and your family there in WI!

:D

Offline rexdrummer

For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 06:21:21 AM »
No problemo...glad to help! Yah as soon as you have pictures of your set post it here.

Keep drummin!

Offline metalmanmiggy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 10:52:34 PM »
sir ano po ung para muffle dun sa bass drum? san nkakabili nun?

Offline CHAMPorado

• Philmusicus Noobitus
For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 11:08:19 PM »
that is part of the drumhead> The model of the bass batter skin is EVANS EMAD (Externally Mounted Adjustable Damping). the EMAD comes with 2 variants (thin and thick) of muffling foam that you slide into a circular frame attached to the head  :P

check the signature of bangbus, may closeup snap ata also of his emad.  :P

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 02:44:29 PM »
ask ko lang kung lahat ba ng 2 bass user's eh ganyan ang ginagawa???
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline CHAMPorado

• Philmusicus Noobitus
For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 06:36:15 PM »
Quote from: jun_BALARAW
ask ko lang kung lahat ba ng 2 bass user's eh ganyan ang ginagawa???

that specific part is highly recommended to bring the hihat stand next or as close as possible to the left bass drum pedal. if you are particular like bangbus in keeping the hihat stand stable and yet close to the snare and left bass drum pedal, you will need this, otherwise you will be forced to rely on the unfolded legs of the hihat stand for stand stability which actually prevents the hihat stand from being next to the left bass drum pedal due to the limited space between the hihat stand, the 2nd bass drum and left bass drum pedal. in other words, tatama yung hihat stand legs sa left bass drum at left bass drum pedal pag unfolded yung legs.

but if you're comfortable or fine with having the hihat stand a bit away from the 2nd bass drum pedal and snare, then you don't need this.  :P

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 05:34:50 AM »
aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhh! this thing is expensive here in ripoff britain! average price for this is 37-40£ (4k pesos)! how i wish i was in the states instead where it only sets you back by $36!

£30 is the cheapest i could find and thats from an online store in Germany pa! although the store offers cheap dhl 4 to 7-day shipping to uk for only 700pesos altogether including 4 optimounts that i would be getting from em. wish me luck!

:)

Offline rexdrummer

For Double Bass Drum
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
That price is really high! Mabuti na lang I didn't include the price for it, I  was before but decided to edit. You will really hate the price there. Good Luck!

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
double bass drumkit?
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »
i'm making a study on this and hope you guys can help me out with this survey...

are you guys willing to invest on a double bass drumkit or a single bass drumset with double pedal is enough already? let me know your anwser guys...cheers

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
Re: double bass drumkit?
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »
i sense an export joey jordison kit looming around . . . i hope it'll find its way to your showroom JP!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 05:34:05 AM by bangbus »

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: double bass drumkit?
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 06:30:46 PM »
hahaha..ang galing pareng jun ha..hehe...well eto pare pinapag aralan pa namin hehe, thanks bro...