hulika

Author Topic: Great Pinoy Drummers: Harley Alarcon  (Read 18087 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Great Pinoy Drummers: Harley Alarcon
« on: February 12, 2005, 11:07:59 PM »
I bought the Remastered edition of the P.O.T. album recently and was blown away listening to Harley Alarcon's drumming again. I would highly recommend this as a "drummer's album" if you want to check out great rock and funk grooves! This album was recorded back in 1997 but still sounds great today.

Of today's drummers, I would think that Vic Mercado of Bamboo follows in the Harley tradition.

Offline bassman16

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 12:33:22 AM »
Vic was great when he played here last year! Damn! He started off with a 5 minute drum intro, then the bass and guitar came in, he just kept pounding away like a possesed drum machine, then, when bamboo FINALLY got on stage, they started of whith one of thier songs, followed by two others consecutively. He didnt stop between any of them, he just kept the beat going the whole time. I think he went for a little over 20 minutes there.

They mostly did Rivermaya covers during thier concert here. Was ok though. I didnt like how they made us wait. The posted time was 8pm, but they didnt come out till 11. The opening bands were pretty good though. Local ones. Cyanide and Cynoshure (spelling?).

After the show, they went to this local bar, which i happened to have arrived at just a few minutes beforehand. I sat this *hold up index finger to thumb, close to Nathan. Hese an exelent bass player, mind you. So it was pretty exciting. lol.

At the bar we went to, there was this band playing, lol, get this, Noypi. Not that i have anything wrong with the song, its just the situation. Think about it, your covering the nations rock anthem of the year, with its composer up on stage, bottle of red horse in one hand, mike in the other, and hes listening to you butcher his song. Ouch. No offense ment to whoever it was playing that night, but you got it way wrong man. Way wrong.

Anyway, ive gone far enough from the topic. Thats my talent. Start of talking about anything, from drummers to effect pedals, and at the end of the post, ill still end up talking about basses. lol. I love me.

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 01:10:45 AM »
yeah harley is one of the best and grooviest drummer. he sounds so darn mature and tasteful dyan sa POT at sa Rizal Underground days. too bad he ain't with POT today, i think.

i won't forget his drumming advise to me when i ran to him before they were about to record the POT album years ago. ahh those were the days tlgahhh...ooohhss..hehehe!

si vic of Bamboo....another whipper snapper young drummer atleast live...soon he'll mature up and play better imho. he plays like as if he is trying to blow away a Mar Dizon in the audience, LOL!

Offline dinosaur jr

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 01:55:55 PM »
ey! i agree with you guys, harley's a great drummer.  :D  :D  :D

bamboo's drummer is also good, but he 'overplay' most of the time during live gigs (like 90% of the time). pumapangit tuloy d quality/clarity of their songs. layo nya kay harley 'no!

there's a very fine line between grooving & overplaying.
- Whatever's Cool With Me -

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 01:51:32 AM »
when POT played at Club Dred way back the time na pasikat pa lang sila aba eh i was totally blown away! kaso ang yabang ni harley at super sabog pa sya...HAHAHA!!! actually silang apat naka high sila ng todo nun....shhhhh!

naka-high sa music nila...hehehe!

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 02:38:50 AM »
Karl Roy's drummer with Kapatid, Jun Balbuena, is excellent. I can't compare him to Harley because Jun has a more modern style. He plays "Pagbabalik ng Kwago" with a drum n' bass feel for example.

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 01:27:27 AM »
yeah great band! jun's has a great drumming feel as well. sayang di ko pa sila nakita live.

Offline charliebrown

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 09:22:09 PM »
Magaling din drummer ng Barbies Cradle...  :D

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 01:05:44 AM »
yep tama! Barbie's drummer is such a mature controlled drummer who
can play as groovy as possible but can also shred the drums to kingdom come, hehehe. kadikit nya ata si MAr Dizon kaya may pagaka-jasser din sya.

Offline muzikabampiro

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Great Pinoy Drummers : Harley of POT
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 11:30:18 PM »
hell yeah! but for me Michael Alba comes first before harley...! a drummer knows who Michael Alba is, right?! His a devil himself...!

but of course my greatest drummer of all times are, Mike Portnoy of Dreamtheater, Dennis Chamber, Tony Royster... and who says me?! you are the great drummer, he is d great drumer, WE all are great drummers!!!  :twisted:

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 01:06:02 AM »
yung si Rolly Quizon (nope not the son of dolphy, kapangalan lang tlgah) galing din sa drum kaso kaliwete ang set-up nya. btw-kabalen ko yan sa pampanga. parang sya si vinnie coliuata sa drums when
he throws some drum chops.

Offline bLitZed

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 02:07:52 AM »
yeah! the name's wendell garcia...even with barbie's lullaby-like voice..he still definitely makes the performance lively...
and check out brian velasco on live performances too..

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 08:15:36 PM »
Quote from: cs_mapper
yep tama! Barbie's drummer is such a mature controlled drummer who
can play as groovy as possible but can also shred the drums to kingdom come, hehehe. kadikit nya ata si MAr Dizon kaya may pagaka-jasser din sya.

SHRED? hehe i though only we guitarists use that term... pati rin pala sa drums... hehe im learning drums as of late... hehe its much more fun learning it than guitar... you dont feel like it's work... hehe pero first love ko pa rin ibanez ko hahaha!

as for good drummers... si terry bozio and virgil donati magaling na kilala ko... siyempre portnoy! pero ibang klase ung drummer ng PAIN OF SALVATION!!! sobrang kakaiba ung rhythm niya... kilala nyo ba siya? and what do u think of him?

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 03:32:42 AM »
parang death metal or speed metal band yan ah.
ewan ko but that style of music and drumming is really boring for me. sa mga bata ayos yan pero para sa mga old timers gaya ko nahhh, been there done that kind of thing for me.

POT master of groove playing.
barbie's Cradle as well.
at marami pang iba.

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 11:17:52 PM »
uhhhmmm DUH!!! haha it's funny how people wan't to comment on something they know nothing about and act like they know everything... first off... pain of salvation is not a death,hardcore,speed metal band or whatever... PoS is a progressive band... the most innovative drumming i've ever heard...  you can compare him to mike portnoy although i never heard any drummer with such as odd timing as his...

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 12:30:38 AM »
Quote from: fingertapper1
uhhhmmm DUH!!! haha it's funny how people wan't to comment on something they know nothing about and act like they know everything... first off... pain of salvation is not a death,hardcore,speed metal band or whatever... PoS is a progressive band... the most innovative drumming i've ever heard...  you can compare him to mike portnoy although i never heard any drummer with such as odd timing as his...

Read carefully...
I love DT's music and portnoy is a great drummer but unfortunately not as innovative
you think he is according to more elite drummers on the net.
virgil donati and terry bozzio did made such impressions.

PoS, LOL! i really thought they are such band bec. of the name.
well, like i said i'm too bored for this complex stuff. been playing drums
for almost 20 years and God know's I'd been through all this complex technical stuff
starting from Rush, Chick Corea ELectric/Acoustic band, Buddy Rich, etc etc.
YEah the much older stuff.

Offline xoako

• Philmusicus Noobitus
hehe
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 10:40:46 PM »
pinaka dabest pinoy drummer saken c Bagets at Mar Dizon.. bow!! :)
humayo kayo at mag parameee!!! ako manunuod!! hehe

Offline YJMCowboy

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 01:35:43 AM »
I've seen Jestoni este Harley live twice long ago, buhay pa yun Rizal.
Power drumming yun style niya with finesse. Power drumming talaga , binayo niya talaga yun no toms-only floor tom set-up niya. Parang tunog dobol bass, ang bigat ng tugtog. I also heared him play Jazz live on radio,
parang jazz drum solo. Astig din.

Daming nagsasabi matindi si vic mercado, I only heared the records
and some live Tv performances, but i don't think he's in the same league as harley. Harley is up there just below the top with the best of them I think. Sila Michael at Mar. They're slugging it out on the peak.
Wala pa kong nakitang mas magaling kay Alba. Si mar alam mong matindi, pero the time I saw him parang ayaw itodo.

Merong pang isa akong narinig sa iba, Yun si "Bagets". Matindi daw yun pero hindi di-nota. Pag feel player yun daw ang magaling. I've never heared him, eh san bang banda sha?!!!!!!!!????????????
Pumping music, sex and iron...

Offline YJMCowboy

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 02:21:05 AM »
I saw Vic Mercado at Simon Philipps. I was rather impressed.
He had some serious chops you don't usually see guys that age.
Ok din.
Pumping music, sex and iron...

Offline toybitz

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 03:26:10 AM »
I like Bagets and Jayvee Torres of Ethnic Faces and Color It Red...hindi sila overplayer at hindi rin nakakaantok...swak lang talaga.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline lifeisaquagmire

• Philmusicus Noobitus
brian velasco
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 10:14:14 PM »
drummer!!! where and when can i watch this dude play??

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 03:20:28 AM »
oo nga ano na kaya balita sa drummer na yan?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »
si Harley na sa Saipan na.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline lifeisaquagmire

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Brain velasco!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 07:53:15 PM »
the drummer brian velasco!!! where and when can i watch him play??

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Harley Alarcon is back
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 06:11:14 PM »
Picked up the news that Harley Alarcon is back in town and will be playing at a P.O.T. reunion with the original members - Karl Roy, Ian Umali (guitar), and Mally Paraguya (bass)!

POT Gigs:
July 21 - Chakik's, Julia Vargas, Pasig
July 22 - Bistro 70's, Anonas, QC