hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296807 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
sir Kitc,

what can you say about the sb x-fi elite pro or an m-audio sound card? btw whats a good mic to record from a gutiar amp. I just want to create a decent demo. What do you suggest? Thanks

I'd choose the M-Audio. Phil's reco on the e609 is recommended as well.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »
Hello po Sirs,

Your impression po for the Zoom G2.1u guitar effects with USB interface as recording gear. Sa tingin nyo its decent enough for those with tight budget? I used un Cubase for recording, me latency po sya pero kung bypassed naman e pede mo marinig sya real time. Pede rin sya sa vocals using a decent mic lang.
Meron po ba kayong better setup for budget as tight as un mgagastos mo for this setup?

Thanks  :-)

If you have a small mixer, try routing the analog output of the Zoom and Cubase into the mixer so that you have zero latency hardware monitoring. Turn off input monitoring in the guitar track to prevent phasing while recording.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
sir Kitc,

what can you say about the sb x-fi elite pro or an m-audio sound card? btw whats a good mic to record from a gutiar amp. I just want to create a decent demo. What do you suggest? Thanks

e609s

thanks sir Phil

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »
sir Kitc,

I'd choose the M-Audio. Phil's reco on the e609 is recommended as well.

Thanks sir Kitc

Offline marcowpg3

« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
sir kit eto yung mga specs na tinitignan ko, ok ba ito?
-Win XP
-Intel 3.0 Ghz Dual Core
- Intel D965 GCCLR motherboard (with firewire)
-1 gig memory
  tapos may on board video and audio yung motherboard (ok na ba yung audio nitong mobo?)
(compatible naman ito with Pro Tools or Sonar diba?)
Tnx!

Yes. This will work.

tnx sir kit!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2007, 11:40:46 AM »
sir kit eto yung mga specs na tinitignan ko, ok ba ito?
-Win XP
-Intel 3.0 Ghz Dual Core
- Intel D965 GCCLR motherboard (with firewire)
-1 gig memory
  tapos may on board video and audio yung motherboard (ok na ba yung audio nitong mobo?)
(compatible naman ito with Pro Tools or Sonar diba?)
Tnx!

Yes. This will work.

tnx sir kit!

I forgot to add. Protools needs specific hardware in order to run. You cannot use onboard audio for PT, only Sonar. From what I read, M-Audio's Jamlab interface is the cheapest way to get into PT, or you can use Digidesign's Mbox interface for PT LE. For the hardcore PT HD systems, I suggest checking for compatibility on the Digi site.

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2007, 08:31:17 PM »
sirs... the software i'm currently using is sony vegas 7.0... is this an okay software or should i use other software?
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis........
http://axebass26.multiply.com .....
 GAS LIST:  WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE $$ 5string  EBS Micro Bass 2 Preamp  MONO Gig Bag

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:28 PM »
Vegas is primarily an audio post production tool for video. While it can be used for recording, it might not have the necessary tools for other aspects of audio production such as midi. Browse the sticky on free plugins and software, there are links there to several free audio recording software. There are also time limited demos of Sonar and other software that you can download. Pay special attention to Reaper which is unexpiring shareware.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2007, 06:55:28 AM »
Sir, If I have a shure sm57 and an Maudio 2496 how do I connect it? is it just straight cable or do I need any additional hardware? tnx

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »
Sir, If I have a shure sm57 and an Maudio 2496 how do I connect it? is it just straight cable or do I need any additional hardware? tnx

Get a mic preamp or a small mixer. Use the mixer to interface between the mic and your 2496.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
thank you verymuch sir.  :-D

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2007, 01:59:55 AM »

Get a mic preamp or a small mixer. Use the mixer to interface between the mic and your 2496.

sir from (mic)sm57 - (mixer) samson MDR6 6-Channel - (sound card) m-audio 2496 from (mixer) where do I connect the output since the soundcard needs an rca input? the only output on the mixer for rca is the cd output... do I need a special cable or converter? thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2007, 10:54:44 AM »
You can use the cd output but you lose master level control flexibility. Better to use the main outs or control room outs. You can use any rca-to-rca cable, just add those rca-to-PL (1/4" TS) adapters so you can connect those to the main/control room outs.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »
thanks sir kitc, pacenya na i'm a nube for setting things like this.

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »
mga sir napadaan lng kasali po sa thread na to ung sa soundproofing? thanks po  :-D
COMBOWORKS

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »
mga sir napadaan lng kasali po sa thread na to ung sa soundproofing? thanks po  :-D

The thread title is specific, "Setting up your PC for Recording". There is already a thread re: soundproofing.

Offline stanley

« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2007, 11:34:22 PM »
sir, do i need a mic preamp if i already have a mixer ( behringer 1202) with built in mic preamp. thanks
In God We Trust, In Gold We Trash

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2007, 01:06:42 AM »
sir, do i need a mic preamp if i already have a mixer ( behringer 1202) with built in mic preamp. thanks

Depends. If you're not happy with the sound of the 1202, you can get an external preamp that gives you the clarity and/or coloration that you want. Btw, I was reading a very unbiased review of the xenyx preamps and it compared favorably with the mackie XDR preamps.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2007, 01:21:23 AM »

even the names rhyme:  xenyx = onyx?

seriously, you'll need to spend a lot more to have a noticeable performance advantage.  personally, i'd use it till it breaks.  then you'd most probably have learned and earned enough to move up to better preamps.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2007, 01:23:51 AM »
Oh! Not the Onyx, Vince! It's heads above the Xenyx by a wide margin. The XDR preamps are pre-onyx, usually found in the VLZ series mixers.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2007, 01:26:39 AM »
oh those?  hehe.  my bad.

xdr din ba yun nasa mackie spike?

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2007, 01:35:18 AM »
Yup! the spike does have xdr preamps. To be specific about the xenyx, look for the March 2007 issue of Recording. Even user reviews in some forums confirm this but, in general, they say the xenyx preamps are warmer and bigger, while the VLZ was a bit airier and had a more natural soundstage.

Offline kremetory

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »
Ok.... rather than set up a tutorial thread, let's make this into a Q & A sort of thread and the emphasis will be on setting up your PC regardless of the specs. Remember, however, that some pc configurations are not compatible with audio no matter what you do. Also remember that most pc's coming out today have a decided slant towards powerful video capabilities, something which often conflicts with glitch-free audio performance. If you are decided about great audio performance, you will have to give up great video performance (which means you will have to give up that 8800GTXProMillenium+1 and go for a considerably less powerful vidcard).

Q1: yah i've read this part and i was wondering if how does a high end video card would affect the audiocard of the pc??????
Q2: do you sell gears for recording like mixers and other pre-amps and amps that is not that expensive coz' im just new in this kind of business....hope you could help me out thanks.
Q3: what is SPDIF what is it for???

Offline stanley

« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2007, 11:47:21 PM »
Yup! the spike does have xdr preamps. To be specific about the xenyx, look for the March 2007 issue of Recording. Even user reviews in some forums confirm this but, in general, they say the xenyx preamps are warmer and bigger, while the VLZ was a bit airier and had a more natural soundstage.

thanks sir kitC.
In God We Trust, In Gold We Trash

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2007, 12:11:10 AM »
Q1: yah i've read this part and i was wondering if how does a high end video card would affect the audiocard of the pc??????

While you can use a relatively powerful video card, bear in mind that audio also has stringent needs with regards to processing, that's why it's often recommended to use a less powerful vidcard. Video card manufacturers are sneaky... they know how to wring every last ounce of processing power from the cpu; everything from hogging the pci bus to throttling down other peripherals. That's why SLI and Crossfire capable motherboards are often not recommended for audio, and why I strongly advocate DAWs dedicated to audio processing.

Q2: do you sell gears for recording like mixers and other pre-amps and amps that is not that expensive coz' im just new in this kind of business....hope you could help me out thanks.

No, I don't sell gear... but I could recommend you to the 'good guys'.

Q3: what is SPDIF what is it for???

S/PDIF stands for Sony/Philips Digital InterFace. It is a digital audio protocol jointly developed by Sony and Philips for the transfer of audio signals digitally. It was originally a consumer format but has gained widespread acceptance in audio circles. It was originally an electrical format using unbalanced coax cables, but has since been adapted to optical transmission as well. Most semi-pro and pro soundcards (as well as some consumer gear) have s/pdif in one form or another.

hth,