hulika

Author Topic: Why My Guitar Gently Weeps  (Read 2396 times)

Offline LaXter

Why My Guitar Gently Weeps
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:01:36 AM »
Hi peeps,

Read this one yesterday, here's the link to the article. Just want to hear your thoughts!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.c6711469c9e1

GAS-Masked

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why My Guitar Gently Weeps
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
Go Taylor Swift!

(Though of course for different lessons... penthouse anyone?)

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
^ LOL

Maybe it's not that there are less guitar heroes now compared to 3-4 decades before
Mayer and Frusciante inspire me to play if we're talking about the younger heroes
Perhaps the losses these giants are experiencing are to be attributed more on the rise of more affordable copies since I personally think some of their guitars are ridiculously priced.

Taylor Swift as a guitar hero... :lol: who would've thought?

Offline xaeroblade

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
^ LOL

Maybe it's not that there are less guitar heroes now compared to 3-4 decades before
Mayer and Frusciante inspire me to play if we're talking about the younger heroes
Perhaps the losses these giants are experiencing are to be attributed more on the rise of more affordable copies since I personally think some of their guitars are ridiculously priced.

Taylor Swift as a guitar hero... :lol: who would've thought?
Same reaction when I read the article about her being the next EVH. But after reading it, well it did make a point but in a different perspective.
Bands: Project:Materia and

Offline dullFingers

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 11:41:56 PM »
Go Taylor Swift!

(Though of course for different lessons... penthouse anyone?)

Hustler  :-D

Offline LaXter

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 06:02:31 AM »
Hustler  :-D
Mayhe he needs a lesson or two from her though. Lol. But seriously, I really do think that sales drop experienced by G and F are really due to lack of interest of this generation. But I don't believe that guitar will die together with those companies, maybe we'll see more affordable stuff from them which will eventually lead to the rise of other companies who produce affordable but also high quality instruments.
GAS-Masked

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58:09 PM »
thoughts?

IMO I think youngsters nowadays don't like playing instruments at all (e.g. guitar, bass, drums etc etc.) because, the mainstream media will feed you kind of songs that is about ass, money, blings, getting drunk and high, banging each other, etc etc in the tune of some music made from fl studios or any app that can be used for making beats.

nowadays, try to ask a couple of 9 year old children if they know who sang N.I.B. and I bet no one can tell, but ask them who sang effin' Anaconda. Their response will end the discussion already.  :lol:

disclaimer: just my thoughts. I'm not blaming the kind of music that is trend today.  :lol:
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline Kennyadry

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 05:43:43 AM »
This video is a great debunk for this article

"I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 05:54:57 AM »
thoughts?

IMO I think youngsters nowadays don't like playing instruments at all (e.g. guitar, bass, drums etc etc.) because, the mainstream media will feed you kind of songs that is about ass, money, blings, getting drunk and high, banging each other, etc etc in the tune of some music made from fl studios or any app that can be used for making beats.

nowadays, try to ask a couple of 9 year old children if they know who sang N.I.B. and I bet no one can tell, but ask them who sang effin' Anaconda. Their response will end the discussion already.  :lol:

disclaimer: just my thoughts. I'm not blaming the kind of music that is trend today.  :lol:

I think it is because of the emergence of EDM. These youngsters thought they can make music by using laptop alone. well they can but most electronic musicians are knowldgeable with instruments like piano/keyboard.
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline Kennyadry

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 05:59:26 AM »
To add to that, the author of this article seemed to forgot (or probably just did not know) that there are more guitar companies, which some of them are better IMO (musicman, suhr, ibanez, etc) than it used to. It "might" be true that guitar sales are declining in general, but IMO more and more guitar players these days are becoming smarter (or practical) than becoming fanboys of these top three makers. More guitar players have access to "very" cheap brands, and not to mention the "chinese clones"
"I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 08:54:33 AM »
To add to that, the author of this article seemed to forgot (or probably just did not know) that there are more guitar companies, which some of them are better IMO (musicman, suhr, ibanez, etc) than it used to. It "might" be true that guitar sales are declining in general, but IMO more and more guitar players these days are becoming smarter (or practical) than becoming fanboys of these top three makers. More guitar players have access to "very" cheap brands, and not to mention the "chinese clones"

I think Ibanez is worse than the big three.  If you go to Japan, Ibanez guitars don't sell much -- always beaten by the big three by a large margin.  If you look at the quality of the big three products in Japan, I would say they are at the top of their game.

Offline broduo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 01:19:53 PM »
"Positivity 2018 No Negativity"

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
If there's any truth to this article, used prices of guitars should be going down.  Time to hunt down that les paul, I suppose. Another angle not mentioned, is that these days, people are more crowded together and space is at a premium.  Condo dwellers will tend to keep only a few favorites and use some amp emulation and portable studio setups, and these affects which products would sell well.  Long gone are the days of the single family dwelling, with dedicated music rooms and home offices converted to studios.  It's not that the guitar generation is getting older, but it's just getting harder to hoard guitar related gear. 
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »
If there's any truth to this article, used prices of guitars should be going down.  Time to hunt down that les paul, I suppose. Another angle not mentioned, is that these days, people are more crowded together and space is at a premium.  Condo dwellers will tend to keep only a few favorites and use some amp emulation and portable studio setups, and these affects which products would sell well.  Long gone are the days of the single family dwelling, with dedicated music rooms and home offices converted to studios.  It's not that the guitar generation is getting older, but it's just getting harder to hoard guitar related gear.

Nice thought there ^
This applies to me personally...well not the part about hoarding guitar related gear, i don't have the money for that even if I want to  :lol: but the idea of considering your living space when buying gear

Offline xaeroblade

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
In this country, this is actually a big factor when it comes to buying gear. The "san ko ba ippwesto to pag nabili" or "mabubulabog kaya kapitbahay ko dito".
Bands: Project:Materia and

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »
The core of any "____ is dead" statement is really that disconnected business people can't make money off that thing as easily anymore so they look for the next minimal effort thing to make money off of. All the millions of guitar players in the world are still playing guitar. And whatever is trendy on the radio is not going to make them say "my hobby is dead, bye."

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
EDM is just a phase.

Parang techno diba? I thought rock will eventually die if they kept playing techno on tv and radio. Pucha kahit Nu107 pinasok na. They even tried fusing it with rock/metal(which sounds cool, btw). Pero di mo talaga mapapatay gitara o kahit anong manual instrument na nangangailangan ng oras, pasensya at talento.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis