The Musician Forums > Guitar Central

THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer

(1/513) > >>

gitarakista27:
I always wanted to start a thread about my favorite guitar player and probably favorite musician. If my sister never bought Any Given Thursday and Room for Squares, i would have never learned to play guitar. And even when he made Heavier things, i still went on to play his songs. Lalo na nung lumabas ang Continuum, where he showed another kind of "heavy" with his sound evolving further. And when he released "TRY!" with Pino Paladino and Steve Jordan, he introduced me to blues. Masyado na siyang madaming nagawa para sakin. In terms of style, he has influenced me and in terms of genre, he opened me to new sounds. Dati puro ROCK lang ang tugtugan ko ngayon mas lumawak. Jazz nalang di ko pa naeexplore pero masyado pang madameng kelangan matutunan sa Blues so i'll venture into jazz after i graduate nalang.

This is my side. I idolize John Mayer. I think he'd go very far in the blues-rock world and he'd grow old to be a legend like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck(hehehe puro strat player noh?). Pero I want to hear your side my fellow forumites. Pabor ba kayo sakanya? do you like him? do you hate him or call him "baduy"? do you think he's lame or he sucks? sige na tell me. i'm so friggin' curious lang. hehehehhe ok lang kahet i-bash nyo siya. you have your opinion and i have mine. :-D

Red_Strat:
I'm a fan. :wink:
I learned to appreciate the blues because of John Mayer's music. It served as a transition from the usual pop/rock music.\

During the "Room for Squares" album, I thought he was just another Lifehouse, Dave Matthews-sounding artist. And "Your Body Is A Wonderland" has gotten me a few places too. :lol:
When Continuum came out, I was surprised with his new sound. That's when I started listening to the albums between Continuum & Room for Squares.

His Room for Squares album, I think, served as a way for him to be introduced to a lot of ears. I like how he turned away from pop, & went on to play his own style of blues. I hope he doesn't sell out - I think he's doing fine as is.

As a guitarist, I think he can really go a long way. There's a lot of soul in his playing. He's very young compared to Clapton & the other blues greats, so I look forward to what he can do in the future.

Let's just say that he also influenced my choice on what kind of guitar to play. (check avatar)

boogsy:
John Mayer is a great guitarist/singer/writer/performer. He truly belongs to the stage, which is evident when you listen to his live album Any Given Thursday. Can anyone here play Neon while singing it? :D

gitarakista27:

--- Quote from: boogsy on February 27, 2008, 09:15:36 PM ---John Mayer is a great guitarist/singer/writer/performer. He truly belongs to the stage, which is evident when you listen to his live album Any Given Thursday. Can anyone here play Neon while singing it? :D

--- End quote ---

ang hirap!!! talgang mastered na nya ang mga finger technique, for electric or acoustic guitar. kaya napaka flexible nya. at di din sya purist or one sided. i think eric clapton was once a bit of a purist to blues and blues rock dati but please correct me if i am wrong.

nineworkz:
me likey John Mayer's music kahit nung first album to present...

versatile...ive read sa interviews na blues influenced talaga sya
covering songs sa idol niya na si SRV...and u could definitely hear yung
influence sa playing niya lalo na pag electric stuff...his nuance and tone
obvious...

his cover of Bold As Love kicks ass! Hendrix would be proud!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version