hulika

Author Topic: aspiring to be a dj  (Read 4494 times)

Offline wowoo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
aspiring to be a dj
« on: January 17, 2008, 08:41:11 PM »
 :mrgreen:

hello everybody... can anybody help me how to start my own kit, for newbies like me. im going digital...and i want to learn how to be a "chef" one day  :-D

thanks...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: aspiring to be a dj
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:30:28 AM »
learn to beatmatch.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »
Everyone seems to be investing on a Serato kit nowadays. 

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »
buy a pair of turntable.. or A USB turntable.. it is the way of a dj to learn how to do a beatmuch and some scratch'n techniques.,. if your jus mixing a cd player every last song and another songs.. your not a dj.. your only just a sound operator.. kaya nga DISK JOKey diba.. hehe.. yung iba kasi panggap lang.. so go earn money and buy those hot chick turntables...!!!
Reyzuna!!!

Offline travism

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
If you have budget for a set up then go cd & vinyl... but if you have none, might I suggest going digital. Check out Traktor by Native Instruments.

Offline uninvit3d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:53:44 AM »

Try to buy "virtual DJ".. It's a software for digital mixing and stuff..

There's also a trial version online for 30 days..
"garbage in.. garbage out.. "

Offline karlo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
since you want to go digital...

1. traktor for a more traditional dj feel. best with a dj mixer-ish controller like the vestax vcm 100 or the xponent. or cheaper, bcd2000 or bcd3000 (a lot flimsier tho). bpm detection plus the almighty sync button which is a great timesaver. you cn get really creative on your mixes with traktor... google search "ean golden" to get a taste of what you can do with traktor.

or you could go with...

2. ableton live. purists would probly say this isnt "dj-ing" strictly but whatever. eliminates the element of beatmatching because tempos are aligned automatically with a little preparation, so you can focus more on a really creative and crazy live mix. layer loops, pile on all sorts of effects, do live remashing, all on the fly. i <3 live. use a midi controller. uc33 offers a lot of control and its cheap, so good to begin with. google "moldover" or "bassnectar" to see the power of ableton live.

if you want a mix between classic analog mixing and digital file manipulation- get any of the timecoded systems: Serato scratch, stanton final scratch, or m-audio torq. torq is the cheapest option, but the serious djs seem to tend to go with serato... people say you can put on more of a show if you actually have decks in front of you but thats a matter of opinion. of course, you'll need a decent dj mixer and 2 decks/cd players.
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline gerardlee

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »
virtual dj if you want also to mix videos.

personally i wouldnt like it since i am also a beginner, trying to master beat matching first.  then go for the mashup

my setup are: traktor connected to the ddm4000 using a sound card with RCA output in 4 channels.  then i use the bcd3000 midi controller to control the traktor for 2 channels.

im just learning to get use to it.
NI TRAKTOR 3, ESI GIGAPORT HD 8-CHANNEL SOUNDCARD
BEHRINGER DDM4000 5-CHANNEL MIXER, ALLEN & HEATH XONE 1D MIDI CONTROLLER
M-AUDIO UNO, AXIOM 61 KEYBOARDS, M-AUDIO BX5A MONITORS