hulika

Author Topic: Do you use compressor pedals when you play in worship?  (Read 3979 times)

Offline nrebua

Do you use compressor pedals when you play in worship?
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:37:28 PM »
Hello mga sir! Ask ko lang kung gumagamit kayo compressor pedals kapag tumutugtog and how do you use them? What brands of compressors do you use and always on po ba or may mga certain songs lang kayo na ginagamit yung compressors niyo? Thanks and God bless!!  :-D

Offline Kulas

• Board Moderator
Re: Do you use compressor pedals when you play in worship?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
yup! i use compressors on my rig.

i keep it always on, in the beginning of my pedal chain, after the guitar. it gives the guitar a more even volume level especially when it hits the dirt. medyo mahina na lang effect nung roll-off ng volume knob if you want to clean up the dirt, pero in my case, ok lang naman since i shuffle between 2 drive pedals (crunch and OD tone, lead tone pag cascaded) so i don't really use the volume knob to clean up the tone.

matter of preference lang naman, if you want the compressed clean tone, then go get yourself one. if you love your playing dynamics, and like to play with your volume knob, i'd suggest wag ka na lang mag-compressor.

i also use the compressor to boost the signal a bit, since i use puro single coils. para mas full yung tunog ng overdrives.

the compressors i use are the HBE compressor retro (on my PT2 board) and a kalikot audio hikari comp (in my nano board)

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »

i keep it always on, in the beginning of my pedal chain, after the guitar. it gives the guitar a more even volume level especially when it hits the dirt. medyo mahina na lang effect nung roll-off ng volume knob if you want to clean up the dirt, pero in my case, ok lang naman since i shuffle between 2 drive pedals (crunch and OD tone, lead tone pag cascaded) so i don't really use the volume knob to clean up the tone.

matter of preference lang naman, if you want the compressed clean tone, then go get yourself one. if you love your playing dynamics, and like to play with your volume knob, i'd suggest wag ka na lang mag-compressor.

i also use the compressor to boost the signal a bit, since i use puro single coils. para mas full yung tunog ng overdrives.

the compressors i use are the HBE compressor retro (on my PT2 board) and a kalikot audio hikari comp (in my nano board)

Hi bro,

ok ba yung Hikari comp? how do you compare it to MXR dynacomp? kaka-tempt eh.
"Accomplishing the impossible is all about seeing the invisible."

- Sun Stand Still

Offline nrebua

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »

Salamat sir!  :) Medyo nakakapanibago nga sa simula yung compressor.. Pero habang nagtatagal, mas nasasanay na.. do you set the sustain/compression high or slight compression lang dinadagdag mo?

Offline Kulas

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
Hi bro,

ok ba yung Hikari comp? how do you compare it to MXR dynacomp? kaka-tempt eh.

mas clear yung hikari, yung dynacomp kasi tends to muddy up the sound eh.

Offline Kulas

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:46:55 PM »

Salamat sir!  :) Medyo nakakapanibago nga sa simula yung compressor.. Pero habang nagtatagal, mas nasasanay na.. do you set the sustain/compression high or slight compression lang dinadagdag mo?

hmmm, gusto ko yung medyo squishy na tone so medyo nasa gitna, yung hindi subtle pero hindi naman overly compressed din. sakto lang, hehe.

Offline nrebua

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
hmmm, gusto ko yung medyo squishy na tone so medyo nasa gitna, yung hindi subtle pero hindi naman overly compressed din. sakto lang, hehe.

salamat sir! kakabili ko lang kasi ng comp, medyo hinahanap ko pa yung preferred settings ko at nakakapanibago sa tenga.. mas ok nga siya sa single coils kesa humbucks.. napapaisip lang din ako kung ginagamit ni Nigel Hendroff yung Signa Comp nya dun sa Starplayer niya dati hehe..  :)

Offline Rageworx

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »
I just got a Boss Compressor (the Opto Modded version). I have been a fan of the Dyna Comp for a while now and when I got the Boss, I was all praises for it. Made the worship sounds come more "lush" and "alive". The thing lang is I tried it both for the LP and the Strat and the Strat got the most when it comes to tone.
Pedals on Sale: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=273860.msg3741566#msg3741566
References: unoh, zyehj, alamat, BAMF, trem3, macrulez019, brown, Kenzu0911, lemon15, spliffbwoy, lmichiko, derekdecastro, kurtcobainer, progfather, metalheadz

Offline steliocore

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »
Naintriga rin ako sa Hikari, transparent daw e. Ross based ba yun? May EQ knob yung huling kita ko. Parang Diamond. Hehe. Sana makatry ako ng Hikari! I have Boss CS3 and it does the job naman kaso I have some issues with the buffer, nag-iiba dating ng Super Crunchbox pag may buffer before. Kaya yun. Hanap ng iba na mura sana.

Offline Rageworx

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »
The Opto modded CS-3 is miles away from the stock CS-3. Transparent na transparent and nawala yung muddiness

Naintriga rin ako sa Hikari, transparent daw e. Ross based ba yun? May EQ knob yung huling kita ko. Parang Diamond. Hehe. Sana makatry ako ng Hikari! I have Boss CS3 and it does the job naman kaso I have some issues with the buffer, nag-iiba dating ng Super Crunchbox pag may buffer before. Kaya yun. Hanap ng iba na mura sana.
Pedals on Sale: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=273860.msg3741566#msg3741566
References: unoh, zyehj, alamat, BAMF, trem3, macrulez019, brown, Kenzu0911, lemon15, spliffbwoy, lmichiko, derekdecastro, kurtcobainer, progfather, metalheadz

Offline J-ROCK80s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
I once had the hikari and it added clarity on my tone.. I lost it because it was too late to back out sa deal :-( sabi nga nila "honor your word" hehehe!

I'm not a comp guy but more of EQ.. going back with the hikari, mas ok sya kesa sa MXR Comp..

Do you use compressor pedals when you play in worship? --- Yes when chorus is on
Ref:Toybitz,Poundcake, Moncseb, xelly, radicalzz, incubus32, Bossingboss, NTM, glassisblack, stelicore, milzer, manilacoke, bumbum, jah_blues, chis005, fretzburner, siopao69, rockarolla

Offline dennispalle

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:50 AM »
Yes, since nkasingle coil rin ako. Always ON rin pati
|Paul Cochrane's Timmy Overdrive|Neunaber Stereo Wet reverb|2010 Fender Telecaster MiM|Boss DD7|EB Volume Pedal jr|Ibanez TS9|Korg Pitchblack| Strymon Timeline |