hulika

Author Topic: Gundam Kits and Mods  (Read 172925 times)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Gundam Kits and Mods
« Reply #350 on: November 11, 2010, 10:23:52 AM »
Regarding the Technical Pen, any specific brand which is good for panel lining?

I've always used Rotring, even during college days, but, that's a personal preference.  Objectively Staedler's good too.
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #351 on: November 11, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
I have a question.
Will enamel thinner melt/strip bosny paints or just enamel paints? And are bosny paints acrylic or lacquer? Tagal ko na nagamit ng bosny di ko pa rin alam kung lacquer or acrylic siya. Kasi may nakalagay acrylic epoxy

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #352 on: November 11, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
I have a question.
Will enamel thinner melt/strip bosny paints or just enamel paints? And are bosny paints acrylic or lacquer? Tagal ko na nagamit ng bosny di ko pa rin alam kung lacquer or acrylic siya. Kasi may nakalagay acrylic epoxy

Enamel thinner won't affect Bosny paints.  In my experience, I've used enamel wash directly over non-topcoated acrylic paint, but it's always safer and "cleaner" when the surface is topcoated.  Bosny is Acrylic Epoxy Lacquer which is something sort of "impossible" to some people because they don't believe acrylics and lacquers don't mix.

I posted something related to this at my blog, and I quote myself:

Misconceptions about Paint

I was posting very frequently in several forums a while back and the most common question I get when it comes to painting is "What paint do you use?"  My usual response was "I use Bosny and/or RJ London paints, and they are basically Acrylic Epoxy Lacquer  Paints.  In the modeling arena, people only know either Lacquer, Enamel, or Acrylic paints, and seeing a paint type like Acrylic Epoxy Lacquer was a bit of a stretch.  In one such forum, one even told me to make up my mind if I was using either Lacquer or Acrylic because that person couldn't quite accept having both in the same paint (even after showing the label), and another one even said that "Epoxies" are two part glues that can't be added in spray can paints. One thought that it might just be regional naming conventions because I was living in the Philippines.  To quote him verbatim:

"Maybe It has to do with your country's use of english, As the definition of lacquer is a mixture of natural resin and pigment ( modern day we use chemicals). Comes from the Portuguese word lac, and they used it long ago as an alternative to tempera.  And I have never seen the term epoxy used like that.

Again I am not trying to tell you your wrong, as it seems like our countries must use the words differently."

The thing is, Bosny and RJ London are European formulas manufactured in Thailand.

Definitions-wise:

"1673, from Fr. lacre "a kind of sealing wax," from Port. lacre, unexplained variant of lacca "resinous substance," from Arabic lakk, from Pers. lak (see lac). The verb meaning "to cover or coat with laqueur" is from 1688."

From Dictionary.com:

–noun
a protective coating consisting of a resin, cellulose ester, or both, dissolved in a volatile solvent, sometimes with pigment added.
any of various resinous varnishes, esp. a resinous varnish obtained from a Japanese tree, Rhus verniciflua, used to produce a highly polished, lustrous surface on wood or the like.

It's a common misconception that the term "lacquer" corresponds directly to paint (or a paint type). Lacquer is actually a type of varnish (the other type is polyurethane, like Future, and even some acrylic varnishes) that is mixed with paints or pigments (mostly with automotive spray paints) that give finishes their lovely shine.

Epoxy, on the other hand, is mixed with paint (or pigment) to increase its bond, its quick-drying property and overall strength. Epoxy paints are more resistant to light scratches. Hence, these types of paints actually don't need to be top coated unless you want extra protection (or that uber shine).  Epoxy is a term often associated with glue, but in itself is a resin-based "hardener."  That's why we call those two part glues as "epoxy" glues; one is the binder/glue, the other is the hardener/epoxy.  Also, epoxy can't cure sealed under pressure, and only when it get exposed to air or a certain temperature range does it start to harden.

Acrylic, in turn, is a base for pigments, much like how some paints have enamel and latex bases.  Acrylic and latex paints are water soluble and therefore can be thinned with plain  water.  Enamels are not, and require enamel thinners.

So, a Lacquer Acrylic Epoxy paint has 3 components; an acrylic-based pigment, epoxy to harden it, and lacquer to give it shine.

New Manila Sound

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #353 on: November 13, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »
Here is my very first gundam creation. No panel linings yet and no major modifications. Im still trying it out and waiting for my Creative side to spark hehehe...

MG Aile Strike Gundam

Hope you like it. Spray painting is not easy but still learning hahaha...
" I HEAR VOICES AND THEY DON'T LIKE YOU "

Offline kureiori

« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
I use Flat black as base and primer, then Bosny 351 Gold, then gloss clear to make it shine  The result is a bit grainy for others, but is just fine with me.  

If you have an Airbrush, you can try the Tamiya or Mr Hobby paints, but I'm not quite sure how shiny they are.

There's also Alclad chrome then transparent yellow + orange to simulate gold.

pwede ba namin makta ang mga paint sgadgets workshop nyo po  pa tutorial naman heheh spcecialy s chrome gustko kasi chrome ang accens

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #355 on: November 15, 2010, 06:39:58 AM »
Here is my very first gundam creation. No panel linings yet and no major modifications. Im still trying it out and waiting for my Creative side to spark hehehe...

MG Aile Strike Gundam

Hope you like it. Spray painting is not easy but still learning hahaha...

Nice! Good thing it has a launch pad/action base. I'ma get me this one also para may kasama ung strike e+ iwsp ko. How much is the kit sir mod?

Hmmm! Wheres the musha?
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #356 on: November 15, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »
Nice! Good thing it has a launch pad/action base. I'ma get me this one also para may kasama ung strike e+ iwsp ko. How much is the kit sir mod?

Hmmm! Wheres the musha?

Thanks Man. I got the Aile Strike on sale for 1,980 petot. The Shin Musha is still on process but hopefully i'll finish it before christmas hehehe. I'll take pics of it and show you the progress once i'm free later.

Offline palmmuteboi

« Reply #357 on: November 15, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
just my share, my old Rx-78 hehe. no mods done here just some poor panel lining when i was a kid hehe. but yeah i still love it :)

Like us : facebook.com/Guitarispa
Subscribe : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuCgSf6rTrXcF7Z5eORMVYA

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #358 on: November 15, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
san nakakabili ng mga ganyang models na pwede mo pinturahan? parang gusto ko rin magsimula ng ganyang hobby.  :-D

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #359 on: November 15, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »
Toy stores sir. Great Toys offer them a little cheaper though. The kits are not plain white, some parts already have colors. Its up to you if you want to change the color or just build it as it is.

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #360 on: November 15, 2010, 08:31:20 PM »
Thanks Man. I got the Aile Strike on sale for 1,980 petot. The Shin Musha is still on process but hopefully i'll finish it before christmas hehehe. I'll take pics of it and show you the progress once i'm free later.

Nice medyo mura pla ang aile strike, swak sa budget, sana sale din sa GT greenhills. Looking forward to your musha wip...

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #361 on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »
Nice medyo mura pla ang aile strike, swak sa budget, sana sale din sa GT greenhills. Looking forward to your musha wip...

Hahaha, original price for the Aile Strike, if my memory serves me right, is 2,200 petot.

Regarding the Musha...

You want a peak???

Its not yet done though...

Here it is:

Enjoy!!!

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2010, 06:54:23 AM »
Hahaha, original price for the Aile Strike, if my memory serves me right, is 2,200 petot.

Regarding the Musha...

You want a peak???

Its not yet done though...

Here it is:

Enjoy!!!

Now thats what im talking about! Nice start man... Nkaka-inspire, ang bilis mo gumawa. 1 MG will take me 3weeks - 1month to finish. Snapbuilding and panel lining plang un. :lol: Busy kc eh.

@ sir MATX... Whats the proper way of top-coating using spray can? Can i just spray it straight to a built kit or will i have to disassemble and spray per piece. I already applied decals na kasi baka mabura kpag nahawakan and i want to protect its stickers. Will topcoat ruin the panel line? Thanks..

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #363 on: November 17, 2010, 07:34:35 AM »
Di naman mabilis, wala lang masyadong magawa, so instead of wasting my time doing nothing, I build hehehe.

Regarding spraying, I do it per batch of parts. I dont build it before spraying the parts. Its also easier to color parts that has more details if its not connected yet hehehe...

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #364 on: November 23, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
Here is the complete Shin Musha Gundam hehehe, natagalan kasi sa paghahanap ng Gold spray paint...

Shin Musha Gundam:

Enjoy...

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #365 on: November 23, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »
Here is the complete Shin Musha Gundam hehehe, natagalan kasi sa paghahanap ng Gold spray paint...

Shin Musha Gundam:

Enjoy...

Nice, ganda talaga. Sana maibigay na 13th month. Kuha din ako ng copy ko nito. Tsaka red frame. Darn gundams, nakakaaddict.

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #366 on: November 23, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »

Shin Musha Gundam:

Enjoy...

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #367 on: November 24, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »

Shin Musha Gundam:

Enjoy...

Very nice, for someone who's just starting.

I've always used Rotring, even during college days, but, that's a personal preference.  Objectively [ice cream]'s good too.

I'm pretty sure I only wrote   s t a e d l e r   here, but I wonder why it got "creamed," pun intended.

New Manila Sound

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #368 on: November 24, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
Very nice, for someone who's just starting.

I'm pretty sure I only wrote   s t a e d l e r   here, but I wonder why it got "creamed," pun intended.

Thanks Matx, I couldn't have done it without your help though. Thanks for all the advice. Now i'm addicted to building, I want to make more but the sad part is that I don't have anything to build hehehe. 2 Gundams done na eh but im planning to change the color on some parts of the Strike Gundam, maybe i'll try it out hehehe. Again, Thanks Matx

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #369 on: November 24, 2010, 11:30:24 PM »
Thanks Matx, I couldn't have done it without your help though. Thanks for all the advice. Now i'm addicted to building, I want to make more but the sad part is that I don't have anything to build hehehe. 2 Gundams done na eh but im planning to change the color on some parts of the Strike Gundam, maybe i'll try it out hehehe. Again, Thanks Matx

No worries.  It's always nice to see people make awesome stuff on their first or so tries.  I am still considering selling my unbuilt Unicorn, and maybe my VDash and Spiegel, I'm just having a bit of a hard time letting go (considering I didn't really like these three, well, the V-Dash was my Prize for an online contest, but the Unicorn kinda grew on me).

If ever I decide,  I'll let you know first.  I do have an unbuilt regular (not designer's color) NG 1/100 00 Gundam I'm selling for PhP 1300 with free built 0-Raiser, if you want it.  The difference between the regular and designer's color is that aside from having a different hue the latter has the 0-Raiser included, and it comes at around 2600++

New Manila Sound

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #370 on: November 24, 2010, 11:55:39 PM »
No worries.  It's always nice to see people make awesome stuff on their first or so tries.  I am still considering selling my unbuilt Unicorn, and maybe my VDash and Spiegel, I'm just having a bit of a hard time letting go (considering I didn't really like these three, well, the V-Dash was my Prize for an online contest, but the Unicorn kinda grew on me).

If ever I decide,  I'll let you know first.  I do have an unbuilt regular (not designer's color) NG 1/100 00 Gundam I'm selling for PhP 1300 with free built 0-Raiser, if you want it.  The difference between the regular and designer's color is that aside from having a different hue the latter has the 0-Raiser included, and it comes at around 2600++

I'll think about it but I want either the Unicorn or a Sinanju hehehe. I want to create a black unicorn with chrome frame or red frame hehehe...

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #371 on: November 25, 2010, 12:13:53 AM »
I'll think about it but I want either the Unicorn or a Sinanju hehehe. I want to create a black unicorn with chrome frame or red frame hehehe...

That would look kewl.  I'll let you know about the Unicorn. 

I have mentioned a few times the Sinanju is my most favorite of all, and you won't go wrong if you get it.  In fact, get one.  I can help you get a brand new one cheaper than most mall prices, but I'll have to check with M1gs.

New Manila Sound

Offline suspendead

• Board Moderator
« Reply #372 on: November 25, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »
That would look kewl.  I'll let you know about the Unicorn. 

I have mentioned a few times the Sinanju is my most favorite of all, and you won't go wrong if you get it.  In fact, get one.  I can help you get a brand new one cheaper than most mall prices, but I'll have to check with M1gs.

Cool, get me updated on that one cause ill be in Manila for a few days during the early part of December, that kit is Wicked man, I love it specially when I saw it on the 2nd episode of Gundam Unicorn series...

Offline kureiori

« Reply #373 on: November 26, 2010, 01:58:09 AM »
ask ko lang po kung ano pinaka mura airbrush?? maliban sa deovir ang mamahal kasi dun eh

yung pang begginers lang poh di mtindihan yung mga specs kasi nung mga airbrush

Offline kureiori

« Reply #374 on: November 28, 2010, 02:29:21 AM »
ayan nkpko sa may nakita po ako worth 900php sa airbrush sa ace ok na po kaya yun pang begginer sa gunpla??? compressor na lang any suggestions??