hulika

Author Topic: Why I hate artist endorsed Major Brands?  (Read 52770 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why I hate artist endorsed Major Brands?
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2007, 10:01:14 AM »
TAM,

I agree whole heartedly and I would like to add that I noticed that the more endorsers a brand has, the sound of their products get worse or it is harder to get a good sounding instrument from any batch :)

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2007, 10:16:28 AM »
hey what's the brand of les paul copy? yung mga lawsuit era ba? :-)

Offline koji

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
oo nga naman bro.. please tell us what japanese make it was.. Navigator ba?.. or Edwards, Greco, Zemaitis, Tokai, Fujigen..? nai-intriga talaga kami e hehehe.. peace..  :-D
"mabuhay ang gitaristang pinoy rakenrowl.."

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »
nakatry na kasi ako ng burny. ang ganda ng tone. As well as micsis' bill brothers les paul.

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2007, 10:43:30 AM »
oo nga naman bro.. please tell us what japanese make it was.. Navigator ba?.. or Edwards, Greco, Zemaitis, Tokai, Fujigen..? nai-intriga talaga kami e hehehe.. peace..  :-D

firemodel55 is referring to a bills brothers les paul copy.

Offline koji

« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
nakatry na kasi ako ng burny. ang ganda ng tone. As well as micsis' bill brothers les paul.
naka try ako nung NAVIGATOR LP STD sa tokyo way back and i was really amazed sa sound nya.. i mean it seemed the best japanese-made LP among the japanese LPs that I had the chance to try (Edwards, Grassroots, Greco and Tokai) there.. kaya nai-intriga talaga ako kung anong brand ng LP yung tinutukoy ni Firemodel55.. unfortunately, i havent tried any Gibson USAs yet so i cant give you any feedback on that.. by the way, the Navigator LP STD wasnt cheap either.. it was 160,000yen (about 75,000pesos ata).. peace..  :-D

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
The burny that i tried had a very clear tone and was very responsive. Pero yung Bill's brothers ibang klase yung sustain! Pero back breaker :-D

Offline koji

« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2007, 11:09:26 AM »
The burny that i tried had a very clear tone and was very responsive. Pero yung Bill's brothers ibang klase yung sustain! Pero back breaker :-D
ganun ba.. would you happen to know who makes Bill's Brothers LPs?.. hindi kaya Tokai Gakki?.. nagka-interest kasi ako sa mga japanese made LPs kasi i couldnt afford the original Gibson USAs before e hehehe.. pero nakakagulat prices ng mga Navigators ngayon.. nasa 280,000yen(mga 120,000pesos?) na pala yung pinaka murang LP STDs nila.. grabe talaga men.. so lumalabas ngayon na mas makakahanap ka pa siguro ng Gibson LP USA na mas mura hehehe.. thanx bro..  :-D

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
Randy,

I guess a USA Gibson remains useful until your next good or better sounding guitar.  In my case, my Gibson USA got useless fast.  Up to this date, I have not yet heard or found a killer sounding US Gibson.  The most disappointing trip for me was to test around 12 Gibson Historics and Signatures straight in one day in Tom Lee Hong Kong and conclude than none of them sounded good. The sales concurred. As I said, a white ESP Alex Laiho killed the Gibsons.  Again The salesman concurred and we were playing on clean.    That included a Slash and Zakk Wylde Bulls Eye that I so much wanted to love. 

I suggest that you take some time to call Ken Volpe of Ultrasound and ask how their real Gibson 59 Burst sounds like and compares to other newer guitars.  They never were so excited about it.  Now, we all know that only a few vintage Gibsons specially Bursts sound good.  If the US guys with experience can say that, why do you find it hard to accept to reconcile that there is a large chance that a Gibson may sound bad?

Peace

Very true! Not because its a Gibson it automatically sounds good.... I gave up my Gibson Gold Top and settled with my trusty old vintage hondo... coz it had the tone and feel I was after.... pero syempre I'm still in search for a really good sounding Gibson pa rin.. :-D... i cant afford to get one of those bakers!
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »
... There are exceptions, though. Scott Henderson has extensively worked with John Suhr to come up with his signature Suhr Standard. He might have been paid as well for endorsing a Suhr guitar, but Henderson's remark that Suhr is the best guitar company he's ever worked with seems to have more credibility because the quality of Suhr's products is much higher than the more popular mass production-oriented manufacturers.
woooshoooo... you're just saying that kasi you own a Suhr. Suhr sucks mehng...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tsss.... panget naman ng suhr eh!!!! hahahaha
i'd pick a rockers guitar over a suhr any day!! !
haha loko lang ian!

Hoy, mga loko kayo ah! Hehehe! Nabasa ko lang yun sa interview kay John Suhr at Scot Henderson. Read them here:

http://www.suhrguitars.com/downloads/pdf/JSinterview.pdf
http://www.guitar9.com/interview77.html

:)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:08:58 PM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline cowboi_way

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
hmmmm...   unahan ko na kayo!!!!

thread lock.  :-D
fender standard strat (standard lang)squire by fender strat cali (crap)fender fm 25dsp (crappy)marshall ms-2r (great sounding amp, cool od)yamaha fx370c (ok na rin)kahon - maestro ( nakita sa mag used by escueta)line 6 - floor pod ( yeah  ! )
fender-dc60

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2007, 01:31:44 PM »
What an entertaining read! First i find out Eric scores a JG... and Alex is on his way to #41. Hahaha... good stuff guys. Keep it up. After 59 I havnt gassed for anything. Write more about the JG ... so number 1 and 2 passed? Frets and workmanship?

Anyway, about the topic. Your mistake was opening up a copy of guitar world. GFTPM and GW as well as Guitar Player are all Ad magazines. Very little in theory and objectivity. They give 5 stars to whomever puts more ads in their magazines. It's really a shame though because once upon a time .. they had good articles and were a treat to read. Now at days, Guitarist UK and Guitar Techniques are a much better source for articles and reviews. They dont bias TOO much but its pretty obvious when they do.

For the signature models... well.. its really just a Jordan play like was mentioned earlier. The thing is there are things that are for you and things that are not. If eddie likes his 5150, can't blame him. I recently had a marshall jubilee in my house and was amazed at how "slash like" it sounded.. but it wasnt for me. To each his own. There are alot of artists that have Mock up heads on stage without any real electronics other than the pilot light running as endorsment deals. Mesa is very popular for this. Youll see these empty heads go on sale on ebay once in a while. I think zakk even gutted a marshall and put in a slo100 in the cab just coz he liked it so much but couldnt use one. Honestly marshall, mesa, peavey dont care what the artist uses as long as it gets its add space and sells more units. At the end of the day... we all just have to research real hard and try as much as we can... and use that for our decision making.

Blah blah blah ... senti... hahaha welcome back alex.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 01:33:34 PM by vhunter »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2007, 05:52:49 AM »
I suspect that the Bills Brothers is a Greco because the tuners have the brand on them.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »
I suspect that the Bills Brothers is a Greco because the tuners have the brand on them.
hmmm interesting. Diba Greco eventually became fender japan? I'm not sure though

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2007, 12:01:25 PM »
hmmm interesting. Diba Greco eventually became fender japan? I'm not sure though

Di yata e.. As far as I kow, may merger and Greco with Zemaitis kaya Greco-Zemaitis na yung ibang newer products nila.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:02:33 PM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2007, 12:09:41 PM »

Reg,

ang dami Gib LP custom and Std na napahiya dun sa Bills Bros LP na ito. Buti nalang walang takers nung pinost ko last week.  :-D
I'm standing on a ROCK and my name is on the ROLL

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »
... There are exceptions, though. Scott Henderson has extensively worked with John Suhr to come up with his signature Suhr Standard. He might have been paid as well for endorsing a Suhr guitar, but Henderson's remark that Suhr is the best guitar company he's ever worked with seems to have more credibility because the quality of Suhr's products is much higher than the more popular mass production-oriented manufacturers.
woooshoooo... you're just saying that kasi you own a Suhr. Suhr sucks mehng...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tsss.... panget naman ng suhr eh!!!! hahahaha
i'd pick a rockers guitar over a suhr any day!! !
haha loko lang ian!

Hoy, mga loko kayo ah! Hehehe! Nabasa ko lang yun sa interview kay John Suhr at Scot Henderson. Read them here:

http://www.suhrguitars.com/downloads/pdf/JSinterview.pdf
http://www.guitar9.com/interview77.html

:)

Hehe astig yung shur ni Scott Henderson at Guthrie Govan  :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2007, 07:00:47 AM »
Erniebong,

Just to clarify, I dont just THINK that the Peavey 5150 (1st edition) is inferior to the Soldano SLO100, I HEAR IT to be inferior.

In fact, I had the Peavey 5150 first way before I had a Soldano SLO100.  Then I was able to get a Soldano Hot Rod 50 which was suppose to be designed around the SLO100s lead channel.  I felt that the Peavey 5150 was still worth keeping because of its different voicing.  But, with great reluctance, under pressure from Gary of the Amp Shop and Mr. Lito Bote who had heard and tested the SLO100, I bought one.  When I first plugged it, it creamed that Peavey 5150.  Still in denial, I had told myself that the 5150 had a unique sound that EVH must have appreciated.  As time passed, no way!!! I was plugging more and more into the SLO100.  Everytime I plugged back into the 5150 it sounded so far --- it lacked dynamic, sounded muddy (Brown sound eh?), had a bad clean sound.  There was no note definition and string separation.  In my case, I started off with an inferior amp that was acceptable to me and I got upgraded to a killer amp which it was based on.  I sold the 5150.  Up to this day, NO one who has ever tried the SLO100 locally has said that the Peavey 5150 is better than the SLO 100. 

Just a side note that I mentioned before, the last amp SRV was testing was a SLO100.  He was ready to integrate it into his rig before he died.  According to SRV's tech, Stevie loved it like anything but they did not have time to set it up because they were in the middle of a tour.  If you know SRV, he is more meticulous than Eddie when it comes to gear.  If you know SRV, he does not mind playing a Tokai Strat on Stage.  If you know Stevie, than you know he took Cesar's Criticism to heart and made him his tech.  If you know Stevie, he mikes 50 different amps in different rooms at the same time during recording and can tell which amp has a bad sounding power tube with all of them on at the same time.

Now that you mentioned Brand Equity, let me give you an observation.  The more a celebrity endorses, the more cluttered its gets for the consumer and mixing up TShirts and mixing that up with guitar equipment is so detrimental because you feel that they are making money out of you (Why is he into Tshirts when he is just suppose to endorse guitars?).  Just two days ago I was attending several FGDs, wherein consumers are so jaded with endorsers -- I guess because you have endorsements everywhere -- these Class C respondents said in verbatim "nababayaran lang sila".  They felt the brand was better off and more credible without celebrities as endorsers.  My agency representative also concurred.  Based on further research, Endorsers like Kris Aquino, Sharon and Manny Pacquiao have so many products endorsements that consumers NOW cannot clearly associate or remember to which product the celebrity made a sales pitch for -- this always comes out after post ad tests.

True Steve Vai says no one is to blame.  On the other hand, I say we should not extoll anybody either.    By the way ernie, do you own any artist/signature guitars, amps or effects?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2007, 09:22:01 AM »
Alex,

Maybe EVH has a different opinion on his 5150 than yours that gave him reason to stick with it?

....and preference too.

Bitoy
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2007, 09:26:09 AM »
Well, aside from US$25,000 bucks, he now has an EVH III which means he is not sticking around any more with the 5150.  The difference is I realized that early on way before he did.

Offline markflo

« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2007, 10:22:18 AM »
Well, aside from US$25,000 bucks, he now has an EVH III which means he is not sticking around any more with the 5150.  The difference is I realized that early on way before he did.

really? i heard he realized it on may 21 2006, at 6:03pm whilst sitting outside his porch, just as the moon was rising on a clear cloudless sky...so you realized it before then, huh? kewl...how much earlier did you realize it? was it the same day? you do realize you 2 are on 2 differnet time zones right? you guys are 15 hours earlier than us here so it's unfair.  :evil:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2007, 10:45:18 AM »
For Cliff, both #41 and #55 are considered special guitars.

I bet he tells that to all his clients.  ;-)

Congrats in advance on your new Baker.  :-D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:31:11 PM by deltaslim »

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2007, 12:59:36 PM »

really? i heard he realized it on may 21 2006, at 6:03pm whilst sitting outside his porch, just as the moon was rising on a clear cloudless sky...so you realized it before then, huh? kewl...how much earlier did you realize it? was it the same day? you do realize you 2 are on 2 differnet time zones right? you guys are 15 hours earlier than us here so it's unfair.  :evil:

ha ha ha... alaskador ka man!

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2007, 05:50:03 PM »
MY BAKER IS BETTER THAN YOUR BAKER BECAUSE MINE HAS WINGS!

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2007, 05:53:14 PM »
my baker makes cheap 1 peso pandesal......

*WOOOOOO SAABOOOGGGG....yeah i know......sorry sorry wala lang.....