hulika

Author Topic: The Sitti Appreciation Thread  (Read 17851 times)

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The Sitti Appreciation Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
I'm surprised to not see any feedbacks to Aya when it comes to these kinds of discussion.   :-D

Maybe he's fed up already?  c",)

Offline trees

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 01:44:23 PM »
mas gusto ko pa si mishka adams. . .

william251082

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
and these, too:

kilala ko ung nsa contrabass ah, si lex ba un?

william251082

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »
Bossa nova? LISTEN to the REAL DEAL!
feature=PlayList&p=B22CB33FAB29CF76&index=1
feature=PlayList&p=B22CB33FAB29CF76&index=2
feature=PlayList&p=B22CB33FAB29CF76&index=4

Bossa nova OPM fusion? Not really crazy about it but I’m not saying that it’s that bad.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
Haaaayyy... Sitti.

Haaaaayyyy...

As much as I would love to come to her defense vis a vis Bamf's beefs, the musiko in me cannot lie about music.

Yes, to this day, she still sings slightly out of tune. Yes, hers is way too nasal a tone. May head tone, may chest tone... yung kay Sitti, nose tone. Yes, she sometimes gives Bossa a bad name.

And yes, it could be said that she's better visually than she is aurally.

But one incontrovertible fact remains --- she's a good person.

I realize that's a non sequitur (spelling?) argument. But still...

Put it this way... Vituperance benefits no one.

If you see a better way, then just do it. Talk's cheap. Action resounds.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 10:19:16 AM »
"Now if Juris learns to Jazz and ditches Chin for a Jazz backing band...now maybe that's gonna be something."  i agree. she can sing but she needs to go solo and do originals..

Claire Marlowe naman and Julie Fordham are in not really into Jazz but they are in their own field. how about Sofia naman? he he

Nga pala... oks si Sofia.

I played a Valentine's gig with her last week. Oks siya. Sa mga bata, siya na 'ata yung pinaka-oks.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 11:31:07 AM »
And furthermore...

Why pick on Sitti in the first place?

No one forces anyone to buy her albums. Granted, some of us are force-fed her sh_t in places which play it. But still...

Sintonado kumanta, 'ka niyo?

Eh, si Ryan Eigenmann (spelling?), hindi?

Kulang sa taste? Eh, si Lito Camo, hindi?

Jazz daw pero di naman talaga jazz sa totoo lang?

Oo nga.

But regarding this last point, I have a solid defense for her. Sometime two years ago, she & I conducted an interview at 19 East's bandroom. She herself said that her recorded output can't accurately be called jazz. Pop-jazz daw talaga ang mas accurate na term sa musika niya.

The way she's marketed has more to do with alien concepts on the part of her handlers than with any stupidity on her part. I doubt anyone has perfect control of press blurbs and PR tomfoolery.

After the interview, she texted me to request that I not print that statement of hers, as certain of her bosses might not have liked it. I honored that request back then, but I feel perhaps enough time has now passed to air this sentiment of hers.

Sitti, kung mabasa mo 'to, pasensya na sa pagbuklat ko ng sinabi mo. No harm no foul naman siguro 'to.

Pero Sitti... gaya ng napag-usapan na natin dati --- research pa. Maganda na ang karamihan sa mga prinsipyo mo sa buhay. Pero sa musika, kailangan mo pa talaga mag-research.

One more thing in Sitti's defense...

Many may not know this but (speaking of jazz) Sitti actually has quite a far-reaching list of old jazz standards in her repertoire. Madami siyang pondong jazz tunes, kahit yung mga lumang-luma at napaka-obscure. (Hindi lang nga niya nakakanta ng madalas sa mga regular gigs niya.)

In fact, the first time she and I met was at a Skarlet gig at Stonehouse, where she jammed with us. We played "That's All". In the key of G.

Prior to that 1st meeting, panay rin ang okray ko sa Cafe Bossa. Tuwing pinapatugtog sa piped-in system ng Stonehouse, di ko matiis ang mga sintonadong nota't di ko mapigilang mag salubong ang kilay at mag-walk-out makaraan ng iilang minuto lamang. Di ko matagalan ang isang buong kanta.

When she jammed with (bassist) Dave Harder and myself, I was pleasantly surpised. Oks naman pala. Of course, to be honest, her dazzling legs, captivating prettiness and endearing charm may have had a bit to do with the good impression she made.

But still...

What I listen for most in any musician is intent. When the intent is cool, sometimes the ragged edges may be forgiven.

Sitti's intent that night was cool.

One more Sitti anecdote...

At the Awit Awards ceremony last year, panay ang tukso ko sa kanya. Everytime she passed, I'd tease her, saying "Queen of Bossa! Queen of Bossa!" out loud. After a few of these good-natured jibes, she took me aside and said she wished I'd stop calling her that.

So I said, "So ano pala? King of Bossa?"

To which she replied, "Hindi. Servant of Bossa."

Nakana, 'di ba?

I may not know her as well as I'd like to and I definitely don't know her as well as those who work with her do. But I'd like to think I know her well enough to say that in one man's final estimate, she's cool.

Bottom-line is: it's not what you play nor even how you play it. It's who you are.

By that yardstick (bad acting, idiosyncratic dance moves and showbiz forays aside), Sitti measures up in my book. Like everyone else, she has quite a ways to go musically, but in the final analysis, she's cool.

O, ayan, Sitti. Press agent as usual ang lolo mong abid pans for life. Yabyu.

Aya Y c",) 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 11:35:47 AM by aya_yuson »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 01:17:10 PM »
Whew nice read Aya. Why pick...well it's there naman...to me, hearing is like listengin to scratching a blackboard.

Lam mo naman...what do we know ? We can only comment on the things that we do know. :D. Like the musicality, nasality  and the pretty face. :D .

For the Lito Camo thing...I guess he had his na din, to give him another barrage would be akin to beating a dead horse. Pero in fairness, an laki ng utang na loob ng music scene ke Lito Camo. Biglang dami ng mga banda who went "if that kind of shyt can make it big, then we got a chance pala !". He sparked a revolution, if you can put it that way :D

I guess you're right then, it all boils down to her handlers. Of course, still not sparing her nasal tone and off-notes.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline paparoni

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 01:33:03 PM »
sayaw darling
sayaw darling

sabay nguso

ahahaha  :-D

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »
sitti's not jazz - never was.  so I'm moving this to the pop forum where it belongs. :)
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »
zZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzz...

Sorry, appreciation thread nga pala.  :-)
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 01:57:42 AM »
sitti's not jazz - never was.  so I'm moving this to the pop forum where it belongs. :)

Wow. Haha. Guess she's not Bossa's servant anymore.  :-D

Wahehe. Joke lang.  :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
Hi, Bamf.  :-)

Hi, Jim.  :-)

Eh, sa nose tone at pagkasintonado, wala akong masasabi bilang pagtatanggol at ako mismo, dehin ko type ang ganire.

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »
Hi, Bamf.  :-)

Hi, Jim.  :-)

Eh, sa nose tone at pagkasintonado, wala akong masasabi bilang pagtatanggol at ako mismo, dehin ko type ang ganire.

Haha.. actually, sitti's a good friend of mine as well. And as sir aya said, she is indeed a great person. In terms of music, i respect her efforts and her style, at least she tries to make it her own. During the time i've played with her, the whole band was into spontaneity and loved experimenting on the tunes (unlike the "square" sound of pop). And that to me was good music. Nasal or whatever, at least we had fun... haha.

Anyway, too bad erskine (and i! :-D) don't play for her anymore. But if she asks me to play for her again, i would.. (ayos din pagdating sa budget kahit papano)  :wink:
Thank God for music..
LF: Fender Frontman 25r

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 03:54:07 AM »
@sir william251082
 lakshmi ramirez on the contrabass..  :-)
Thank God for music..

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 12:09:33 PM »
Hi, Tim.  :-)

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 07:41:52 PM »
naku, ngayon ko lang nakita tong thread na to ah.
hi Tim Cada!
hi Aya!

eto honest ha. alam ko mababasa to ni Tim. hahaha...
I like Sitti 4 years ago when she used to sing jazz standards. Kinda reminds me of Stacy Kent. Kung ibe-base natin sa bossa nova yung pagiging jazz ni sitti with her current music, and people here would agree that she's not jazz (and more of pop), then sige dapat sa pop category nga ilagay ang thread na to. Pero I respectfully disagree sa sinabi ni sir jim ayson that sitti never was jazz. sorry bossing, pero that's what she used to sing before entering the "commercial music industry".
Actually, nagulat nga ako nung lumabas yung cafe bossa eh. parang, "ows? bat bossa nova?" Gusto ko yung recording nung 1st album though. sobrang "raw" at natural ng dating. the rest of the albums, di ko na nagustuhan. well, masisisi ko ba si Sitti kung bossa nova ang pinapakanta sa kanya ng Warner?

kapayapaan sa ating lahat.  8-)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:09:38 PM by kawal »
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »
naku, ngayon ko lang nakita tong thread na to ah.

kapayapaan sa ating lahat.  8-)

kapayapaan! i agree with kawal. ibang klase noon.

sir aya, bisita kayo minsan sa UP :-D
Thank God for music..

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:43 AM »
Sir Tim, pengeng pambili ng gasolina.  :-P

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »
haha,yun lang...  :-D
Thank God for music..

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 03:37:47 AM »
I think Sitti deserves to be a legitimate member of the music industry - whether pop siya, or jazz siya, or bossa nova siya ( I refuse to get drawn into classification).  She has been very active all these years so pabayaan na natin siya. I saw her fill up big venues. Last Valentine's day, her show was filled to the rafters.  If there are people who don't like her, there are people who do. That's life. Merong may gusto ng rap, yung iba ayaw.  May iba gusto rock, iba jazz, iba pop, iba yung covers ng MYMP, yung iba gusto yung tunog ni Sitti.

BAMF said the most practical thing - if you don't like her then don't listen to her. Maybe WHAT WE CAN DO IS  we can encourage her to improve her "medyo" nasal tone kasi it is getting quite irritating.  Moreover, dapat gisingin natin yung humahandle sa kaniya - HOY! AYUSIN NIYO ANG BUDGET NG BANDA NI SITTI!  KAYA NAGWEWELGA ANG MGA MUSIKO SA INYO, BINABARAT NIYO KASI!.

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 03:59:28 AM »
opinion naman lang dba?

1. she sounds like tweety bird singing bozza. i dont know if you can picture it but that what i hear.

2. if shes as nice as you say she is AYA, bow ako. hindi nalang ako makikinig :) but lets put it into perspective, ang pinag uusapan dito eh QUALITY nung artist, labas dun ung personality nya at ung tunay na katauhan nya. kilala ba si Mozart (pronounced as motzart, fyi, sa mga hampaslupa jan! joke!) sa pagiging [avocado] nyang tao? o kilala sha sa mga magagandang composisyons nya?its the latter, i believe.

but i guess, what mr aya yuson is pointing out, wag naman tayong garapal sa pangungutya. after all, the person is a good person. she sings (in this case, trying to) because she loves to. may mali lang sa nangyayari (e.g. queen of bozza and jazz diva monicer). after all, the essense of everything is how are we contributing to world peace (ano daw?) un nga lang, again, ung QUALITY ni sitti as a JAZZ artist ang topic- to which i say, find the material that suites you best. and train your ear.

3. i guess ang may kasalanan eh ung nagpapackage sa kanya. or partly, her too, for putting up with it. i think the artist, being an artist to begin with, should not be dictated upon by whomever. the manager works for the artist, not the other way around. of course you do some ass kissing here and there but then again, you are the artist. you hold the key to the door. now if your KEY (in this case, OUT of.. haha sorry cant help to singit that pardon me) doesnt open doors for FAME, youre an artist just the same. no fame or fortune nga lang. now if you continually kiss ass, then you are no longer an artist but a commodity. choice naman ng bawat tao un.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 02:57:07 PM »
Moreover, dapat gisingin natin yung humahandle sa kaniya - HOY! AYUSIN NIYO ANG BUDGET NG BANDA NI SITTI!  KAYA NAGWEWELGA ANG MGA MUSIKO SA INYO, BINABARAT NIYO KASI!.

Hahahaha... yun lang masasabi ko.  :-D
Thank God for music..

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
I think Sitti deserves to be a legitimate member of the music industry - whether pop siya, or jazz siya, or bossa nova siya ( I refuse to get drawn into classification).  She has been very active all these years so pabayaan na natin siya. I saw her fill up big venues. Last Valentine's day, her show was filled to the rafters.  If there are people who don't like her, there are people who do. That's life. Merong may gusto ng rap, yung iba ayaw.  May iba gusto rock, iba jazz, iba pop, iba yung covers ng MYMP, yung iba gusto yung tunog ni Sitti.

BAMF said the most practical thing - if you don't like her then don't listen to her. Maybe WHAT WE CAN DO IS  we can encourage her to improve her "medyo" nasal tone kasi it is getting quite irritating.  Moreover, dapat gisingin natin yung humahandle sa kaniya - HOY! AYUSIN NIYO ANG BUDGET NG BANDA NI SITTI!  KAYA NAGWEWELGA ANG MGA MUSIKO SA INYO, BINABARAT NIYO KASI!.

very well said.
one thing more, for the past 4 years, i've observed that sitti's way of singing changed. for example, mga nov 2007 i heard her fiddling with a jazz standard song (orange colored skies yata), and i noticed that her vibrato changed. to me it sounded weird. a lot of other things changed. i was trying to figure out if that bossa thing caused it or that was just how warner music told her to sing or her manager. point is, i'm not sure how i'd defend her, coz i like her music BACK THEN when she used to sing standards. on the other hand, i agree with a couple of people here about tha nasal thing and matinis yung boses nya, etc..
(i very much agree on the "budget" part. i am a witness to that. si tim cada rin malamang.. hahahahaha!)

@grasyaps: with all due respect, do you even listen to bossa nova, coz you're not spelling it right. it's not "bozza". i'm sure you know what you're talking about though. and naniniwala ako sa ibang mga points mo especially yung idea na the manager should work for the artist. that's a nice point.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:01:38 PM by kawal »
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »
Kawal, I think he mispelled "Bossa" intentionally. And if he did, I'd agree with the new spelling. This new school of bossa is definitely not bonafide bossa after all.

Medyo mas BOWZZA panga ang tunog sakin, eh.

Regarding how low Sitti's sidemen are paid, yes, i would have to agree that they often aren't paid well.

Not good.