hulika

Author Topic: PM Tablet Users Thread - iPad, Galaxy Tab, PlayBook, Surface and the Clones!  (Read 35228 times)

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
Let's talk about how these tablets changed our everyday life, from the way we browse the internet, the way we play, read, interact and work!  :lol:

This is not limited to iPad users only, all folks who owns a tablet from Kindle, Galaxy Tab, Windows-Based ones, the soon to be released Blackberry Playbook to even all those Android Tablets popping around (iPed, aPad, ePad, iRobot etc) are welcome to share their experience on how their devices made their life easier and fun!  :-D

--

anyways lemme start, all I can say is my iPad generally replaced my MacBook and it made me realize that its redundant to keep another portable computer around if I can easily bring my much lighter and thinner iPad.. thus I sold my MacBook..  8-)

if syncing and data backup I reverted back to my trusty PC Desktop as another machine is essential to keep the backup for iPad data and installed applications.

the iPad can read PDF files so there's no need to print everything I need when im preparing for a presentation or reviewing for a report or when I need lyrics for a song, the iPad can also download eBooks online so no need to constantly bug myself going to powerbooks doing follow-ups on newly released titles.

doing presentation also is a walk in the park with the "Keynote" iPad app that works like "Microsoft Powerpoint" and with the size and weight of the iPad its easier presenting it to a small group of people and with the accelerometer all I need is to flip it to show something or when I need to present to a much larger group of people I can just hook it up in a projector using an iPad to VGA connector.

as a hobbyist photographer I found the iPad much friendlier than a laptop as all applications I need to edit, enhance and manipulate a photograph is already available like the "Photoshop Express", "Photo FX Ultra" and "Retouch" and with the iPad Camera Connection Kit I can easily transfer all photos I taken from my DSLR to my iPad in less than a minute (the iPad Camera Connection Kit transfers 50-100 photos in less than 2 minutes), the iPad also supports almost all HD Video format taken by any DSLR and Point and Shoot cameras, the iPad can play this video too! (im excited with the next 4.2 iOS as it might have a built in video editing tool).

graphic design and presentation is easier with the iPad too! with apps like "Autodesk Sketchbook Pro" I can easily do a quick sketch and present them immediately, it takes time to practice doodling using your fingers but if you have no time for it there's a third party ipad accessory you can buy.. the "Pogo Sketch Stylus".. it goes around a grand and you can doodle away!  :wink:

as a gamer the iPad is perfect mobile gaming tool! with the A4 Processor running at 1GHZ its fast to load a graphics-heavy app like "Grand Theft Auto: China Wars HD", "Field Runners", "Mirror's Edge", "Plants vs Zombies HD" and "Command and Conquer: Red Alert" and playing it is amazing with the iPad's 9.7" display in 1024x768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch the graphics is bright and live specially when playing it at your most comfortable way. (the iPad can also play your average iPhone/iPod Touch games and all you have to to is click the "2x" button on lower right corner to full size it albeit in slightly lowered resolution).

working online is also another thing my iPad does best! as almost any place in metro manila already has Wi-Fi connection you can easily fetch your emails in style, I owned a WiFi only iPad so im planning to either upgrading to the 3G version or doing a "Mi-Fi" setup so that I can just bring my broadband internet with me. (since owning an iPad 3G will require me to cut my broadband sim to "micro" with that I wont be able to use the sim with my USB Broadband Dongle again).

taking down notes is easy too with the iPad's full keyboard setup, as you can position the iPad relatively at any angle you can type at your most comfortable way, (in your lap, at the table or in your arms) you can also quickly scribble if you want.  :lol:

as a musician I was able to use the iPad as a live recording tool as the simple recording app "Voice Recorder" can do quality recordings even in "sleep" mode (maximizing battery life), I also installed "Amplitube" and will going to use it as soon as I acquire an iRig clone.. also not to mention other cool music utility apps like "MyChords", "Drums HD" and many more!

I dont really use my iPad when listening to music as I already have my trusty iPod specifically for it though the iPad has a built in iTunes that manage your music library as it was in the desktop I rather leave it as is as I also have limited space for music (I only have the 16GB version), the videos are perfect tho I limit it also because of storage limitations..  :cry:

(my iPad)  8-)

now I am waiting for the release of the iOS 4.2 for iPad (multitasking, folders and many more enhancements I can just imagine!)

overall I believe that the iPad and other fledgling tablet devices will soon replace the laptops and with technology rapidly evolving I wont be surprised if a year or two from now we will start our transition from laptops to tablet devices.  :-D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:22:13 PM by rockophoria »
imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: PM Tablet Users Thread - iPad, Galaxy Tab, PlayBook and the Clones!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:04:42 PM »
i hate you man. :D

will share something once i get mine!

in my case, i think i'll be able to use the iPad mainly as a reading device, for a whole lotta magazine subscription. that camera-connection-kit thing also tickled my senses!

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:50:04 PM »
i hate you man. :D

will share something once i get mine!

in my case, i think i'll be able to use the iPad mainly as a reading device, for a whole lotta magazine subscription. that camera-connection-kit thing also tickled my senses!

yeah me to way back! hahaha its 2 small devices you can carry on your pocket..

first is the direct card reader device where you can immediately transfer your photos by plugging it in to your iPad:

and the other one has a USB for directly plugging your camera's data cable (if your camera uses compact flash rather than secure digital) like this one:

and its easy to transfer the photos.. its fast and also has the option to delete the copied photos from the SD Card or keep them..

its really essential dude! specially if you do a lot of photowalks and portrait shoots.  :lol:

but what I find weird is that you cannot "full preview" a shot first before you can transfer it (only thumbnailed preview).. you need to transfer it first before you can view it fully (even the videos..) means that the iPad wont read from source.. it only connects and transfer. (this I hope will be fixed on the next iOS release which is the 4.2)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:24:56 PM »
this is the next target after i got my netbook

our very own Cherry Mobile Superion.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
^ Yun o!

I heard this one sells for less than 20k.. (correct me if im wrong) and runs Froyo Android 2.2? @ 600mhz Qualcomm processor?

Marzi gawa ka kaagad ng review and photos if you get one! hehehe parang wala pa akong nakikita sa marketplace nito eh.. pero I heard it was already released?

they say it has 2 cameras (front and back) a micro SD slot and has 7" screen?  :|

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:15:26 PM »
Sana magkaroon ako ng needs for these devices. Kindle is tempting, pero talagang may preferred ko ang amoy ng papel at ang magbuklat physically.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
I'm a bit curious, yung Superion runs on 600 Mhz while yung Magnum is 1GHz. Pero hindi specified kung anong model ng Qualcomm yung nasa Magnum. Yung Qualcomm MSM 7227 ay gamit din yata ng HTC.

MegaHertz myth? I stopped believing that noong mag shift into x86 ang Apple :-D (I'm just baiting) :-D

Semper Erectus

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
first is the direct card reader device where you can immediately transfer your photos by plugging it in to your iPad:

and the other one has a USB for directly plugging your camera's data cable (if your camera uses compact flash rather than secure digital) like this one:

question: can this handle other forms of media like flash drives and external hard disks or is it limited to pictures only?

what prevents me from getting the ipad (and iphone as well) is the fact that the memory is very limited and has no actual room for expansion.

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »

question: can this handle other forms of media like flash drives and external hard disks or is it limited to pictures only?

what prevents me from getting the ipad (and iphone as well) is the fact that the memory is very limited and has no actual room for expansion.

it is limited to photos and videos only..

I tried plugging my 2GB USB stick full of PDF files but all the iPad can tell me is "Device not supported" and I also tried plugging in my external 80GB HD and my USB Broadband dongle the iPad complained: "The device is consuming/using too much power". so a lot of apps require specific files to be uploaded to the iPad like "Goodreader" and "VLC" but all files cannot be simply transferred via USB or External HD.. you need to go through iTunes first before you can transfer it.

sad reality that is..

but also a blessing in disguise accordingly if you look into perspective :-D

see this is what I found odd about apple the first time I began using their products.. why cant we do this, why cant we use that, why cant this be etc etc.. but I kinda realized that Apple wanted their products to run smoothly and within standards.. and by allowing users to do or perform whatever Apple think will slow their products will be bad for their own image..

imagine users constantly uploading and transferring movie files of different format into the iPad even if Apple only supports MPEG4 with the reason that MPEG4 will run smoothly with their quicktime movie player, so by users playing all those formats alltogether will eat up a lot of juice and will lagg the quicktime player and eventually stall the performance of the iPad.. then what will users say? "Apple products are slow and they suck" (without even thinking it was their own doing that cause it in the first place).

one good example.. the "VLC Player" app for the iPad.. comsumers demand it, they wanted it even with the first iteration of the iPhone.. so Apple approved it in the appstore eventhough it aint perfect yet just to make the consumers happy.. well I tried the VLC app and I loaded my iPad with some of Manny Pacquiao's fight in DIV-X format.. verdict? they are crappy.. yes the VLC can play multi-coded videos but those file formats arent coded to play seamlessly with the iPad.. so id rather spend time converting those DIV-X to MPEG4 rather than risk slowing down my iPad.. or worst lagging it or crushing the iOS. (and spend more time restoring and jailbreaking it)

now there are rumors that Apple will silently pull the "VLC App" off the Appstore..

Apple likes to work within standards and whatever standards is that it worked seamlessly and efficiently within their products so all we can do is wait for Apple to constantly upgrade and update it as we dont know more better than them in terms of their products. :-D

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
now there are rumors that Apple will silently pull the "VLC App" off the Appstore..

Apple likes to work within standards and whatever standards is that it worked seamlessly and efficiently within their products so all we can do is wait for Apple to constantly upgrade and update it as we dont know more better than them in terms of their products. :-D

I suspect that the issue is not about the performance of VLC but more on the Copyright (or Copyleft :) ) issues.

http://www.osnews.com/story/23977/Copyright_Infringement_Claim_Filed_to_Apple_Over_VLC

Semper Erectus

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »
see this is what I found odd about apple the first time I began using their products.. why cant we do this, why cant we use that, why cant this be etc etc.. but I kinda realized that Apple wanted their products to run smoothly and within standards.. and by allowing users to do or perform whatever Apple think will slow their products will be bad for their own image..

imagine users constantly uploading and transferring movie files of different format into the iPad even if Apple only supports MPEG4 with the reason that MPEG4 will run smoothly with their quicktime movie player, so by users playing all those formats alltogether will eat up a lot of juice and will lagg the quicktime player and eventually stall the performance of the iPad.. then what will users say? "Apple products are slow and they suck" (without even thinking it was their own doing that cause it in the first place).

one good example.. the "VLC Player" app for the iPad.. comsumers demand it, they wanted it even with the first iteration of the iPhone.. so Apple approved it in the appstore eventhough it aint perfect yet just to make the consumers happy.. well I tried the VLC app and I loaded my iPad with some of Manny Pacquiao's fight in DIV-X format.. verdict? they are crappy.. yes the VLC can play multi-coded videos but those file formats arent coded to play seamlessly with the iPad.. so id rather spend time converting those DIV-X to MPEG4 rather than risk slowing down my iPad.. or worst lagging it or crushing the iOS. (and spend more time restoring and jailbreaking it)

you have a good point. come to think about it yes it does make sense but there are somehow some things that hinder me. yes the room for expansion is the major reason for it. you did say 16gb for your ipad and that is somewhat decent for me. though all i need is something with larger space, and just the capability of being able to interact with devices like flash drives or printers. since apple is now integrating multitasking with the new os, im sure that isnt far behind.

you did a good review, which now makes me consider getting one as well, something that i can use when im gonna be doing a lot of moving around but cannot risk leaving my laptop in one place. based on your review, i asked myself, why dont i have something to get me through days where its recommended to leave my laptop behind to be more mobile. i have a back problem actually, and i dont really like the idea of having my laptop with me all the time because of that. but who knows, apple just might be able to answer my request as technology gets better.

as for now, i rely on my smartphone to do my dirty work when i have to be very mobile. time to start saving for one (and wishing apple answers my wish at the same time haha)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 03:11:45 AM »
^ Yun o!

I heard this one sells for less than 20k.. (correct me if im wrong) and runs Froyo Android 2.2? @ 600mhz Qualcomm processor?

Marzi gawa ka kaagad ng review and photos if you get one! hehehe parang wala pa akong nakikita sa marketplace nito eh.. pero I heard it was already released?

they say it has 2 cameras (front and back) a micro SD slot and has 7" screen?  :|

yes. i checked online and it sells 'daw' for 19,000-

tatlo lang yata ang units ng Cherry na Qualcomm powered. nagtataka din ako, this one has a 600Mhz processor while the smaller one has a 1Ghz procy? parang mali pinaglagyan no?  :-D pero yung Magnum eh HD daw up to 720p.

ok syang ilagay sa kotse for audio/video stuff.

and the 2 cameras? yup meron. but i still dont find it useful.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 03:33:36 AM »
and the 2 cameras? yup meron. but i still dont find it useful.

Hhhmmm.... Put it on a stand as a a source of music to 'set the mood'. Well, you know the rest....  :evil: (Thanks Hayden for the idea)

Semper Erectus

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »
Hhhmmm.... Put it on a stand as a a source of music to 'set the mood'. Well, you know the rest....  :evil: (Thanks Hayden for the idea)

hehehe..tapos mag host ako ng live streaming site na 100 pesos lang ang membership watch all you want na..pwede!  :lol:

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Sa tingin nyu bababa ang presyo ng iPad pakalabas ng iPad 2 as well as nung mga ibang tablet rivals niya?

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »
Sa tingin nyu bababa ang presyo ng iPad pakalabas ng iPad 2 as well as nung mga ibang tablet rivals niya?

I guess, pero di sobra. Locally, at least. Medyo delayed din bago dumating yung bago. Sa itouch, 'di sobra yung binababa nung generation before this (dami pa naman sa malls).

iPad user here :-D but if the iPad 2 is really different.. hmmm :roll:
I really like it. Made the iTouch obsolete for me.

Still have the macbook for more intensive stuff though. 

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
Kung ang current vendors ay hindi maga-guarantee na gagana ang Android 3.0 sa tablet nila ngayon, then wag na munang bumili. Yung 3.0 kasi eh may optimizations for tablet devices. Unlike ngayon, vendors do the optimizations. Whereas sa 3.0 by default ay oks sa tablet.

Semper Erectus

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 11:57:08 PM »
I guess, pero di sobra. Locally, at least. Medyo delayed din bago dumating yung bago. Sa itouch, 'di sobra yung binababa nung generation before this (dami pa naman sa malls).

iPad user here :-D but if the iPad 2 is really different.. hmmm :roll:
I really like it. Made the iTouch obsolete for me.

Still have the macbook for more intensive stuff though. 

Marami akong nababasa na "possibly" around 100-200$ daw ang aalisin, another option is they could stop manufacturing the 1st gen ipad and focus instead on the newer one..sana ibababa nalang yung price.  :-D

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
Kung ang current vendors ay hindi maga-guarantee na gagana ang Android 3.0 sa tablet nila ngayon, then wag na munang bumili. Yung 3.0 kasi eh may optimizations for tablet devices. Unlike ngayon, vendors do the optimizations. Whereas sa 3.0 by default ay oks sa tablet.

maghintay na lang tayo ng next gen tablets ng mga vendors. napaisip din ako sa Superion eh. kung bukod sa main parts eh parts na ng Cherry mobile ang nilalagay nila, malamang maging malaking issue ko ang battery life nyan.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 12:38:36 AM »
Marami akong nababasa na "possibly" around 100-200$ daw ang aalisin, another option is they could stop manufacturing the 1st gen ipad and focus instead on the newer one..sana ibababa nalang yung price.  :-D

dami nang lumalabas na mockups nung 2. looks a lot better :-D

there's this at bestbuy, for what it's worth:

But it could just be a verizon version of the ipad, as engadget said.

Offline vinz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »
sino gumagamit dito nung mga apad yung tig 4k-5k ba yun? wanting to buy one pang browse browse lang pag tinatamad mag PC...suggestions sa brand at mga specs naman mga brad 4k to 5k lang budget ko as of now...di ko kasi alam kung ano ba maganda olats ako sa mga gadgets eh hehehe

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
sino gumagamit dito nung mga apad yung tig 4k-5k ba yun? wanting to buy one pang browse browse lang pag tinatamad mag PC...suggestions sa brand at mga specs naman mga brad 4k to 5k lang budget ko as of now...di ko kasi alam kung ano ba maganda olats ako sa mga gadgets eh hehehe

chong hit or miss ang magandang quality nyang mga android based ipad clones.

pag nasira pa yan, wala kang service center na pedeng pagdalhan. wala din yatang warranty yan sa seller. so ang mabibigay kong advice sayo eh goodluck sa budget toy hunting mo.

pero kung makakadagdag ka pa hanggang 10k pataas, may mga nagbebenta dito ng Archos tablets.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline vinz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
chong hit or miss ang magandang quality nyang mga android based ipad clones.

pag nasira pa yan, wala kang service center na pedeng pagdalhan. wala din yatang warranty yan sa seller. so ang mabibigay kong advice sayo eh goodluck sa budget toy hunting mo.

pero kung makakadagdag ka pa hanggang 10k pataas, may mga nagbebenta dito ng Archos tablets.

hhmmm mukhang pwede na rin to brad...salamat sa tip! :-)

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:17 AM »
a few more days to go before the iPad 2 guys! :-D

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
a few more days to go before the iPad 2 guys! :-D

Lapit na :-D from the details out there, parang di masyado malaking upgrade though