hulika

Author Topic: About guitar recording...  (Read 10939 times)

jakobspiral

Re: About guitar recording...
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2006, 09:49:17 AM »

hmmm..... parang nainspire ako dito.... ano kaya i-mod ko ART and replace the tube... wonder how different it would sound with a NOS tube

ey, san makakabili ng NOS or Telefunken tube dito sa pinas? anyone here know anyone here selling these?

also, anyone here know if the self noise on the ART is because of its electronics or tubes? coz, if it's because of the electronics, then i guess changing the tubes won't reduce the self noise... there's still noise, even if i unplugged all inputs... there's still a little bit of noise...

alright i put the screws back halfway. :-)

i just realized that i prefer the sound of my guitar being plugged into a vocal preamp (my ART) as compared to a guitar amp. amazing. :-D

so, in addition to the topic "About guitar recording...", you could also plug a guitar into a vocal preamp. i tried it and it sounds great for clean guitar!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 10:15:28 AM by jakobspiral »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2006, 01:58:19 PM »

ey, san makakabili ng NOS or Telefunken tube dito sa pinas? anyone here know anyone here selling these?

If you look around in Raon, you might find some NOS (New-Old-Stock) RCA 12AX7s if you're lucky enough. Generally, the chinese tubes are crappy and inconsistent - something about their philosophy of quantity over quality. You can go for Sovtek or EH tubes; even PPitch sells some Fender branded 12AX7 (pricey). The ART is somewhat noisy at high gain settings, try feeding it a hot signal to get better SNRs.

Hazel, I've been thinking of using a 12AT7 or even 12AU7 for a possibly smoother distortion. It will mean less gain if I use the 12AT7 though.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Direk

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2006, 02:23:44 PM »

check this out: http://www.amxtubeaudio.com/
look for analog guy named, Andrew.

jakobspiral

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2006, 02:36:21 PM »

check this out: http://www.amxtubeaudio.com/
look for analog guy named, Andrew.

Ayun! Thanks! :-D

...i just called them. unfortunately, they don't sell telefunken, NOS, tung-sol, or electro harmonix. they sell sovtek though, 900 bucks. :-)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 03:23:05 PM by jakobspiral »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2006, 01:59:46 AM »
.... Wouldn't want to have the bottom fall off when you pick the ART up.

ehehe, that's what i thought Kit.  hmmm..... parang nainspire ako dito.... ano kaya i-mod ko ART and replace the tube... wonder how different it would sound with a NOS tube

@abyss have you heard about the sytek pre by mr mike stoica?  how does it compare to the RNP?  thanks.

i have heard about sytek and they have been very good reviews; pretty much on par with how people received the Great River stuff, i think. however, i've never personally used Sytek stuff but am very curious to give them a go.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2006, 04:25:52 AM »
Sovtek....reliable....cheap....for amps ...sounds like cardboard...yuck. IMHO lang. preamps and powertubes. I have 3 power tubes 5881s ...who wants it?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »
medyo may latency pero di naman masyado compared to native instruments guitar rig... (or maybe di lang pala naayos nung store yung software settings...

sound ng NI GR eh halos similar sa mga stomp boxes ng boss. somewhat 50% digital and 50% analog ang tunog thats why have acquired it. Anyway back yo ur problem sa latency? gaano kataas? we usually get as low as 6ms lang. try tweaking some setting sa audio settings and NIGR control panel.

Huh?  The stompboxes are just causing too much digital noise especially the distortion boxes.  With the real analog versions, you get some nasty hummmmm.  With the Guitar Rig versions, you get nasty hummmmmm + shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   which is so pathetic. 

And have you even bothered to A/B the stomps and the GR versions?  the DS1 for instance sounded a bit lossy in the highs compared to the real one.  The TS808 emulation was good though, however it still lacks transparency beause of the digital shhhhhhhhhh noise.

I only recommend guitar rig if you are stuck on modellers. IMO it emulates much better than the PODXT and others, only that I hate the high gain sounds.  The Mesa emulations are far from the sounds of a real Recto.

TUBE AMPS RULE!  :evil:

Offline aden

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2006, 10:45:17 AM »
ang dami ko natutunan sa inyo...
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2006, 04:44:12 AM »

ako rin. nasa favorites ko na ito. hehehe

OT: anybody here ever tried zvex's half watt amp driving a 4x12? miced? etc? just a question though.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2007, 08:11:30 AM »
KitC i think there's also one from Radial.  i want one of these!  :-D

yeah, it's called an x-amp. i have one. haven't used it since the day i bought it.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »
You mean this?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2007, 10:31:05 AM »
to Hazel:

whoa... entry level = hiss, k i'll remember that. :), next time, i'll test the unit first before i buy it... (i hope my art mp can be fixed... if not i'll just buy an avalon... kidding.  :-D)

to KitC:

hmm... i guess my at2020 must be low output (that's weird, i thought condensers were supposed to be loud...) since it's the only thing before my art mp in the signal chain.

my signal chain:

at2020 -> art mp -> jamlab

or

guitar -> sansamp -> jamlab

hmm, you do mods... great! can i have your contact #?

also, is there a thread compiling contact #'s and names of people who do mods? like KitC, BAMF, etc. i tried messaging BAMF once, his mailbox was full...

My Behringer MIC200 is now pressed in operation and I don't seem to have much hiss problems with it (if at all). The secret to it is not to be tempted to put the gain volume up. With the gain at past 12 o clock, that's where you hear the hiss.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2007, 12:23:35 PM »

ako rin. nasa favorites ko na ito. hehehe

OT: anybody here ever tried zvex's half watt amp driving a 4x12? miced? etc? just a question though.

Turi is in the house!!! :-D
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info