hulika

Author Topic: How big is the difference of using "K" or "A" cymbal compare to ZBT?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Joshua_Ducut

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Hi drummers, gaano po ba kalaki ang difference ng tunog ng mga Zildjian "K" or "A" model compare doon sa entry level na "ZBT" bukod sa pricing niya?

Offline jviado

Re: How big is the difference of using "K" or "A" cymbal compare to ZBT?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
Hi drummers, gaano po ba kalaki ang difference ng tunog ng mga Zildjian "K" or "A" model compare doon sa entry level na "ZBT" bukod sa pricing niya?

Sobrang layo bro.

K and A are both B20 Bronze.
K is dark.
A is bright.

ZBT is B8 Bronze(Entry-level).

Masyadong bakal yung tunog ng ZBT para sakin. :-D

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »

malaking difference.

ZBT leans on the brighter spectrum. kumbaga sa EQ, maraming High Frequencies.

Ang A or Z, musical sounding and sounds great in a band setting.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
while this doesnt directly answer your question, i'd just like to share my experience.

the first cymbals i had were Sabian B8 Pros, they were really nice. then i decided to upgrade to Sabian AAX, and AA cymbals ... the crashes sounded better, i did miss the ride of the B8 Pro.

then i heard ZBT and B8 cymbals in practice studios ... those things sounded like tin cans (harsh and unmusical, sometimes they sound like trashcan lids, in other studios they sound like a bad china). i couldn't stand it, the sound irritates me. if i ever played drums, i would throw away those cymbals, or travel 2 hours back to my place just to get my AA's ... that is how bad entry level cymbals sound.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:29:24 PM by IncX »

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
while this doesnt directly answer your question, i'd just like to share my experience.

the first cymbals i had were Sabian B8 Pros, they were really nice. then i decided to upgrade to Sabian AAX, and AA cymbals ... the crashes sounded better, i did miss the ride of the B8 Pro.

then i heard ZBT and B8 cymbals in practice studios ... those things sounded like tin cans (harsh and unmusical, sometimes they sound like tin cans, in other studios they sound like a bad china). i couldn't stand it, the sound irritates me. if i ever played drums, i would throw away those cymbals, or travel 2 hours back to my place just to get my AA's ... that is how bad entry level cymbals sound.

same thoughts. you nailed it to a tee, bro Incx.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Joshua_Ducut

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Salamat po sa mga nag reply, now i know i have to shed some cash for a quality cymbals. Sale pa naman sa JB yung mga cymbals ng 50% tapos pwede pang 3-6 month payment, kaya i might look for "K" or "A" models. Thanks po ulit!

Offline IronCobra

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
Go for K/K customs. I'll tell you it's very different specially if your ears are sensitive. Let me share my old kit... It's for home/personal use but I highly recommend it. But if for practice studio, never at babasagin lang yan ng mga hard hitters.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
Salamat po sa mga nag reply, now i know i have to shed some cash for a quality cymbals. Sale pa naman sa JB yung mga cymbals ng 50% tapos pwede pang 3-6 month payment, kaya i might look for "K" or "A" models. Thanks po ulit!

Know what sound you want too. The A and K lines also sound different from one another. The A lines are generally brighter and more focused and wet, the K lines are darker, drier and generally more complex. Don't misunderstand the darkness of the K lines though, a good majority of drummers use or eventually switch to Ks because of its more complex tone, and recordists favor it because it can never be too harsh.

You'd probably lean toward the As at first because it sounds a lot like your stereotypical cymbal samples, but trust the guy who recommends Ks (I'd recommend Ks too!).

Sir IncX is also right, if you have the money now, it's good to start with the B20 alloy cymbals. If you hear ZBTs again after hearing As and Ks, or any well made B20 cymbal of any brand, you'd feel really bad for the ZBTs. They sound like sheet metal from a construction site.

Eto para may ibang point of comparison ka sa mga Zildjian lines:
ZBT - Datu Puti vinegar
ZHT - Datu Puti spiced vinegar
A - Knorr sinigang sa sampalok na may gabi mix
A Custom - Knorr sinigang sa sampalok mix
K - sinigang sa bayabas
K Custom - sinigang sa kamias, kalamansi, santol, whatever, tapos depende kung gaano kagaling magluto ng sinigang yung nagserve sayo
K Constantinople - sinigang sa hotel restaurant
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline dolfmen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:13:45 AM »
Know what sound you want too. The A and K lines also sound different from one another. The A lines are generally brighter and more focused and wet, the K lines are darker, drier and generally more complex. Don't misunderstand the darkness of the K lines though, a good majority of drummers use or eventually switch to Ks because of its more complex tone, and recordists favor it because it can never be too harsh.

You'd probably lean toward the As at first because it sounds a lot like your stereotypical cymbal samples, but trust the guy who recommends Ks (I'd recommend Ks too!).

Sir IncX is also right, if you have the money now, it's good to start with the B20 alloy cymbals. If you hear ZBTs again after hearing As and Ks, or any well made B20 cymbal of any brand, you'd feel really bad for the ZBTs. They sound like sheet metal from a construction site.

Eto para may ibang point of comparison ka sa mga Zildjian lines:
ZBT - Datu Puti vinegar
ZHT - Datu Puti spiced vinegar
A - Knorr sinigang sa sampalok na may gabi mix
A Custom - Knorr sinigang sa sampalok mix
K - sinigang sa bayabas
K Custom - sinigang sa kamias, kalamansi, santol, whatever, tapos depende kung gaano kagaling magluto ng sinigang yung nagserve sayo
K Constantinople - sinigang sa hotel restaurant

sakto to nung una akala ko A lang ako forever, tapos narinig ko yung mga K dark pagtapos nun never ending GAS na. pero ngyon solve na ko sa K pero may mga A parin na ok prang ng med thin na 18 na A.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »
sakto to nung una akala ko A lang ako forever, tapos narinig ko yung mga K dark pagtapos nun never ending GAS na. pero ngyon solve na ko sa K pero may mga A parin na ok prang ng med thin na 18 na A.

akala ko dati pang jazz lang yung K series, tapos nung nakarinig ulit ako ng A series sabi ko letse ang sakit sa tenga, lalo na yung mga ride! parang nanggaling ka sa metal zone na pedal tapos lumipat sa tube amp tapos bumalik ulit sa metal zone  :lol:

Pero may mga favorite pa rin naman ako na A series, yung 20" A medium ride and generally mga A splashes and chinas.  pero sa basic cymbal trio, mas ok talaga K/HH/HHX  :)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
primary cymbal set up na hi hat crash at ride, mganda ang K.

Pero sa accents, splashes and extra crash. masarap haluan ng A.

kung sabian, HHX all the way. Legacy and Evolution. BAM.

@sonicassault

#asimkilig sa examples :D

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 10:05:41 AM »
primary cymbal set up na hi hat crash at ride, mganda ang K.

Pero sa accents, splashes and extra crash. masarap haluan ng A.

kung sabian, HHX all the way. Legacy and Evolution. BAM.

@sonicassault

#asimkilig sa examples :D

nagpipigil lang ako na sabihan si TS na mag Sabian HHX na lang kung may cash naman :lol:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »
nagpipigil lang ako na sabihan si TS na mag Sabian HHX na lang kung may cash naman :lol:

mahal kasi talaga ng stuff kay yupangcs... sighhhh...

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
mahal kasi talaga ng stuff kay yupangcs... sighhhh...
magrerecommend sana ako ng staggs, pero hindi yata fair kay TS yun kasi di pa na madistinguish ang cymbal sounds.

Istanbul!  ikaw mag endorse wala akong experience dun eh :lol:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »
magrerecommend sana ako ng staggs, pero hindi yata fair kay TS yun kasi di pa na madistinguish ang cymbal sounds.

Istanbul!  ikaw mag endorse wala akong experience dun eh :lol:

wag mo na iexperience at baka magbenta ka ng staggs mo HAHAHA #CertifiedConvert #Stagg2Sabian2Istanbul

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 11:21:35 AM »
wag mo na iexperience at baka magbenta ka ng staggs mo HAHAHA #CertifiedConvert #Stagg2Sabian2Istanbul

pag may pera na. hahahaha. wala akong pera pang Sabian eh  :lol: pero di ko papakawalan ang 8" Furia splash ko. Yun ang first cymbal "find" ko eh, soulmates kami  :lol:

TS: check out some Istanbul cymbals  :) not one of the prominent big-company cymbals, but you'd be surprised how people like ralph swear by these things  :)