hulika

Author Topic: Tube Amp DIY'ers Club-DIY Bassman soundclips p.25!  (Read 278143 times)

Offline johnravacio

Re: Tube Amp DIY'ers Club-DIY Bassman soundclips p.25!
« Reply #1250 on: July 28, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
Thanks Brad! Sayang gawa ka rin. Mag-quata ka lng ng 10 components/wiring per weekend cguro naman in 4 months time matatapos ka rin. I think I've started this project somewhere 1st week of April or last week of March. Dahan2x lang hangang natapos din :)
good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement...

Offline deliciouspapa

« Reply #1251 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »
Thanks Brad! Sayang gawa ka rin. Mag-quata ka lng ng 10 components/wiring per weekend cguro naman in 4 months time matatapos ka rin. I think I've started this project somewhere 1st week of April or last week of March. Dahan2x lang hangang natapos din :)

weekends (actually, just saturday) lang ako may time, usually i do it per section.  typically:
1) Power supply
2) Power amp
3) Preamp
4) Chassis

madalas tumatagal pagkatapos ng preamp step dahil tinatamad ako ilipat from my development chassis.

nonetheless, yes!  in a couple of weeks i can start the 6L6 amp, pero malamang toroid transformer from  rs phil muna yung ot.

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1252 on: July 30, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »
weekends (actually, just saturday) lang ako may time, usually i do it per section.  typically:
1) Power supply
2) Power amp
3) Preamp
4) Chassis

madalas tumatagal pagkatapos ng preamp step dahil tinatamad ako ilipat from my development chassis.

nonetheless, yes!  in a couple of weeks i can start the 6L6 amp, pero malamang toroid transformer from  rs phil muna yung ot.

heheheh I'm doing the opposite on your process. Bali sa implementation chasis mauna tapos last yung Power Supply. Pero yung planning stage yung pinaka matalagal which includes Chasis layout, Point to Point wiring layout, etc.

But anyway, post mo rin project developments mo dito and/or Elab.ph :) Godspeed!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:46:03 PM by johnravacio »
good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement...

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1253 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:55 PM »
Who needs a Mercury Magnetic if you have the AT&S M6/Z11 Transformers with Ultra-Linear?

This is my Project Soldano SLO 50 using M6/Z11 Transformers from Edrel Sison. These transformers are world class quality built locally :P

Few more weekends to go to finish this build :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:55:11 PM by johnravacio »

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1254 on: January 22, 2015, 08:39:32 AM »
evil_sith.jpg

yes, yes, let the tone flow through you.

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1255 on: April 06, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »
Project Soldano SLO using Z11 Cores

After battling with 120hz hum over the long weekend, it turned out to be a not so competent tube in the Cathode Follower position (V3 in Soldano Circuit). I'm not sure why Cathode Follower positions are very picky about tubes to use (maybe because we use it beyond it's specification). I had the same problem with this 120hz hum on my JCM 800 build. Filter caps were okay as measured.

Finally, it's done :)

Conclusions/L earnings

Z11/M6 Cores are insanely awesome! The over-driven tone was very well define in comparison with my old build. Clarity of the clean channel were sparkling like a Fender Amp.

The use of Ultra-Linear on the otherhand(as I've expected) was not so suited for the kind of music I play. It cuts a lot of distortion. Unless you like the Fender Bassman 70 then the Ultra Linear is for you :)

Contrary to the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier(100W) which uses a grid stopper resistor of 1.5K and Screen resistor of 1K for both 6l6 and EL34 which makes the sound a little dull as most users whining about, this build toggles both the grid stopper and screen resistor when switching 6L6 to EL34 thus retaining clarity. Grid Resistors are (6l6 2.2K/EL34 5.6K). Screen Resistor (6l6 500 Ohm/EL34 1K). This build could also switch from using Ultra-Linear and Screen Resistors.

Lastly, we cannot assume that a new tube, measured as good, will always work as expected when put in an actual circuit and listen to it. Enjoy the journey!

Front View without the wood enclosure

Wood enclosure

Finished Amp along with my DIY speaker with Eminence Red Coat speaker

This build uses a TAD(Tube Amp Doctor) 6L6GC-STR which has higher Plate Voltage limits

than JJ's

Finished Amp with it's wood enclosure

Back View

Guts of the Amp, it's point-to-point wiring except for the footswitch circuit
Been procrastinating for weeks because I wanted to make a pcb for it. I ended up using a

protoboard heheheh :)

Another front view of the amp

Special Thanks to:

Edrel (AT_ALPHA) for these awesome Z11 Cores. They run cold after an hour of playing at home level volumes. Truly world class!

Tony Tecson for all the advises and troubleshooting Tips.

All the people at elab.ph for the pat at my back! You know who you are! Seriously, thanks guys :)

Last but not the least, to my wifey who has the sharpest hearing on EARTH! Who does Quality Checks from time to time (from measurements, symmetry in the external design, 60hz Vs 120 Hz, tight vs. loose, clarity, sound stage and many others).

Sources
Z11 Core Power Transformer, Output Transformer and Choke from Edrel (AT_ALPHA)

TipTop Tinsmith - Customized Aluminum Enclosure

Epektos.com - Orange Drop caps, Pots, Jacks, others.

Jaycee Designs Megamall - Customized Faceplate

Lyric Store - TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes

Alexan - Relays

Everything else, Deeco :P

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:23:24 PM by johnravacio »

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1256 on: April 07, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »
^congrats on your build! :wave:
so when can we hear some soundclips?  :)
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1257 on: April 07, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »
^congrats on your build! :wave:
so when can we hear some soundclips?  :)

Thanks Kawal! hehehe we will see. Medyo kumukain din ng oras gumawa ng demo, I'll post them here once available :)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1258 on: August 22, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
work in progress: 57 champ clone/5F1

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1259 on: August 22, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
Where do you guys have your chassis frames built? And where do you guys have your cabs / enclosures made?
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1260 on: August 22, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
Where do you guys have your chassis frames built? And where do you guys have your cabs / enclosures made?

Try asking Mang Raul where he gets his chassis. The chassis he used on my 5F1 is good. Carpenters and furniture builders here in Lucena are not interested in building a cab for me so I am building one myself.

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1261 on: August 24, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »
work in progress: 57 champ clone/5F1

Ayos Roy! Keep them coming :)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1262 on: August 25, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
Ayos Roy! Keep them coming :)

Thanks! Mang Raul built the 5F1 circuit for me. I am impressed coz he even made the output and power transformers. I had to source the tubes and speaker though, as well as build the cab :-)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tube Amp DIY'ers Club-DIY Bassman soundclips p.25!
« Reply #1263 on: August 31, 2015, 12:03:52 AM »
Lesson learned lately: drilling mounting holes in the chassis with the components already in place can break the amp. Got a loud hum when a capacitor had a loose solder. However, I still cannot find what's causing the hiss and whistling sound. The amp was dead quiet before I drilled holes in the chassis. I don't think it is a tube coz none was plugged when I drilled.

Update: noise disappeared after I resoldered all connections.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:13:54 PM by royc »

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1264 on: September 02, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
Here is a quick demo of my new 57 Champ/5F1 clone :-)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:30:27 AM by royc »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1265 on: September 02, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
^^

Sounds nice.  :)

Offline jeff-55

« Reply #1267 on: September 03, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »
Sir royc ganda ng diy cab.  :)

Mga sir hingi lang ng tulong. How do you check an output transformer's secondary taps, kung alin ang 8ohms, 16ohms etc. Try ko kasi mod yung 5e3 based clone ko and gusto ko ma ensure ang outputs nya since magpalit din ako ng speakers although originally the amp came with an 8ohms speaker.

Upon cheking inside the amp may 3 leads coming from the secondary taps of the ot, kaya iniisip ko posible na hindi lang 8ohms ang outputs nya. The ot seems to use same wire color coding as the ones usually na search ko from the net na gamit for tweed deluxes (black, yellow, green), although parehas ang colors I still want to make sure tama yung magawa ko na wiring.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1268 on: September 03, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »
Where do you guys buy your octal output tube sockets?
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1269 on: September 04, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »
Sir royc ganda ng diy cab.  :)

Mga sir hingi lang ng tulong. How do you check an output transformer's secondary taps, kung alin ang 8ohms, 16ohms etc. Try ko kasi mod yung 5e3 based clone ko and gusto ko ma ensure ang outputs nya since magpalit din ako ng speakers although originally the amp came with an 8ohms speaker.

Upon cheking inside the amp may 3 leads coming from the secondary taps of the ot, kaya iniisip ko posible na hindi lang 8ohms ang outputs nya. The ot seems to use same wire color coding as the ones usually na search ko from the net na gamit for tweed deluxes (black, yellow, green), although parehas ang colors I still want to make sure tama yung magawa ko na wiring.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Another source uses the same color coding:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/shock-brothers-diy-amps/202070d1382066242-first-time-amp-%96-5f1-boot-hill-cabinet-build-40-18030-pdf
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:25:35 PM by royc »

Offline jeff-55

« Reply #1270 on: September 04, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »
Thanks Sir Royc, the one from classic tone matches even the colors of the primary taps on the ot of my amp.  So safe pa rin pala if i'd use an 8ohms speaker since 8 or 4 ohms ang taps ng ot, was just having doubts kasi nga clone lang yung amp ko chief baka may 16 ohms dun ang masaksakan ko ng 8ohms speaker, for sure di maganda kalabasan nun hehe.

Sir royc kamusta yung tunog ng weber sig speakers dun sa 5f1 amp mo?  isa kasi yung weber sig series sa pinagpilian ko na gamitin.  Thanks

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1271 on: September 04, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
Thanks Sir Royc, the one from classic tone matches even the colors of the primary taps on the ot of my amp.  So safe pa rin pala if i'd use an 8ohms speaker since 8 or 4 ohms ang taps ng ot, was just having doubts kasi nga clone lang yung amp ko chief baka may 16 ohms dun ang masaksakan ko ng 8ohms speaker, for sure di maganda kalabasan nun hehe.

Sir royc kamusta yung tunog ng weber sig speakers dun sa 5f1 amp mo?  isa kasi yung weber sig series sa pinagpilian ko na gamitin.  Thanks

Pati yung kit from TubeDepot yan din ang color coding may brown wire din. Kung bili yang transformer possible na standard pero kung gawa it depends kung sinunod ang color coding. Siguro naman kung kokopya din lang pati kulay gagayahin.

Maganda ang tunog ng alnico sig 8S sa 5F1 exactly the tone I have been looking for. Vintage tone sya hindi modern. Hintayin mo ang speaker na gagamitin mo bago ka gumawa ng cab malalim kasi ang mga bagong speakers.

In case din mo napansin yung short demo ko eto ang link ng 5F1 ko with sig 8S on a pine cab and thin floating baffle. May few hours break in ang speakers using an mp3 player.

Try ko magrecord ulit this weekend mabilisan lang kasi yan.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:54:01 PM by royc »

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1272 on: September 06, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
Here is a quick demo of my new 57 Champ/5F1 clone :-)

Ang ganda pagkagawa ng Cab brad! Congrats on your new toy :)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1273 on: September 07, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »
Ang ganda pagkagawa ng Cab brad! Congrats on your new toy :)

Thanks! First time ko mag pine cabinet. Para syang acoustic nagreresonate ang tunog and parang may natural reverb. Soft wood nga lang ang pine nagkakadent kapag nakakanto.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tube Amp DIY'ers Club-DIY Bassman soundclips p.25!
« Reply #1274 on: December 05, 2015, 07:23:05 AM »
No sound from my Champ clone when I turned it on this morning. It was working last night. The rectifier tube is not glowing but the power and preamp tubes are lit. Any advice on how to check if the rectifier tube is the culprit? The amp and tubes are less than four months old and seldom used. Thanks!

Edit: mukhang busted tube. Anyone knows of a local seller ng russian 5y3gt rectifier tube? Iwas muna ko sa chinese tubes. Wala sa spud music at epektos.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:50:36 AM by royc »