hulika

Author Topic: how to make a "dark" pickup brighter  (Read 2318 times)

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
how to make a "dark" pickup brighter
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »
guitar gurus,

i recently had a SD Jazz/JB set installed into my Ibanez Artcore hollowbody and noticed  a slight problem with my tone - while the JB had the usual great treble bite, the Jazz pickup sounded wayy too dark.  these pickups usually match very well, but in this case, there's too much of a transition when switching pickups.

the SD Jazz has always been dark, but maybe putting it in a hollowbody took it over the top.  even with tone at 10, there's hardly any treble sparkle.

is there anything i can add to the circuit that can somehow put some treble back? a cap or a different tone stack?
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
Re: how to make a "dark" pickup brighter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »
sorry mods, pa-check lang if my thread is entered correctly.  parang nagka-error when i submitted it.
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline riccaliolio

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »
Daanin mo na lang sa EQ, bro. ;)

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
or rewire it with higher value pots. hehe just my opinion.  :roll: :roll:
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline .bong.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:35:14 PM »
Ano value ng potentiometer nyo sir? If 250k, palitan nyo ng 500k para mas bright ang tunog  :-)
.bong.

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
Ano value ng potentiometer nyo sir? If 250k, palitan nyo ng 500k para mas bright ang tunog  :-)

that's right! apiirr  :lol: :lol:
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »
Try mo muna 'to.  Lower your neck pickup, but raise the individual pole pieces.  So in essence, it's the same distance from string to pickup.   :-)
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline .bong.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:02 PM »
that's right! apiirr  :lol: :lol:

Hahaha...Pareho lang pala tayo ng post kanina  :lol:
.bong.

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:49:34 AM »
thanks for the advice!

the potentiometer fix sounds promising.  di ko lang alam yung value ng pots ko, but i'll investigate further.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:37:50 AM »
all the answers are above, but let's put them in order, from easiest/cheapest to do to the most expensive:

1. adjust amp/pedal EQ (not practical coz your tone will be off when you switch to bridge pup)
2. assign one of your od pedals for exclusive use with your pickup & adjust pedal's EQ
    (i used to use a Digitech Screaming Blues for a muddy neck pup)
3. adjust the height of pickup poles
4. change capacitor
5. change potentiometer to 500K or "no-load"
6. convert ordinary potentiometer to "no-load"
7. replace pickup   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:43:00 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline kayo2jp

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
i have a hollowbody guitar with Seth Lover neck/SH 59 bridge and Epi Dot with Phat Cat set. this combo serves me well. :wink:
"life is a journey way back home"

Offline AkelleFusion

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »
If you have money to burn, the best thing to do to make your guitar to sound bright is to have your fingerboard/fretboard turned into maple (assuming that it is not.:P )

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 08:23:08 PM »
Crystalcore. :D

guitar gurus,

i recently had a SD Jazz/JB set installed into my Ibanez Artcore hollowbody and noticed  a slight problem with my tone - while the JB had the usual great treble bite, the Jazz pickup sounded wayy too dark.  these pickups usually match very well, but in this case, there's too much of a transition when switching pickups.

the SD Jazz has always been dark, but maybe putting it in a hollowbody took it over the top.  even with tone at 10, there's hardly any treble sparkle.

is there anything i can add to the circuit that can somehow put some treble back? a cap or a different tone stack?
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »
before spending anything on a pedal or fiddling the eq to match the neck but ruining it for the bridge pickup, check mo yung wiring and solder joints. i had a sort of similar problem with a scatterbrane set. nung una kong kinabit yung neck pickup seemed permanently stuck in woman-tone. i emailed the pickup winder and he told me to check if a strand of the braided wire (or solder) had penetrated to the core wire. it sounded great after i'd fixed that. yung .022 mfd cap was always in play and it was dumping all the highs to ground.

again, check mo yung wiring and solder joints.

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »
sounds like a plan.  hassle lang kasi yung artcore, hirap masilip yung wires from the f-holes.  will probably bring it to sir arie over the christmas break...