hulika

Author Topic: dj from australia, moving to manila, want to start events  (Read 4098 times)

Offline technics1200

• Philmusicus Noobitus
dj from australia, moving to manila, want to start events
« on: March 08, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
hi my name is brendan, im from gold coast, qld, australia.

I mix hardhouse, hardtrance, trance, hardcore, breaks, drum n bass, jungle, progressive house, house

im going to be saving up quite alot of money here in australia, before I move to manila. My goal is to be promoting "rave" style events with the best local manila talent. Ofcourse im wondering what the electronic dance scene is like at the moment in manila. I tried doing a search on google but I cant find any rave websites for manila, and I also cant find much dance information on there either.

Is there even a rave scene that exists there?

Offline freeformula

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 05:04:24 PM »
The "rave" scene was around back in 1997-98 and the likes of Goldie and Josh Wink have graced our shores. There have been a number or party organizers such as Boiler Room, Groove Nation, Natural Born Clubbers, and a few others. One of the more prominent ones today is http://www.bigfishmanila.com/ and from their site, you will see the DJs/clubs they've brought in. Check out this thread for pictures of the past Bigfish gigs as well: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5425

Offline technics1200

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:01:41 PM »
thankyou so very much for your help freeformula! :)

manila is such a massive city and yet it was so very hard for me to even find any information on the rave scene! :P

Offline jgllams

scene
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 04:01:48 AM »
hi,

i'm from electronica manila and i would like to invite you to our forum at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/electronicamanila/

you can talk to the people there more about the "scene" here in manila.

oh, you can check out this site too:

http://bigfishmanila.com/

Offline brendan

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 04:36:04 PM »
awesome  :D

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 04:13:22 PM »
Are they still called "Raves"? :) My impression is that the scene has past us by. Eddie Boy Escudero has a photo exhbit going on about the mid 90's rave scene --- I'll try to get the gallery info here. The exhibit is called "When We Danced."

The reason Eddie Boy put up the exhibit is nostalgia, and to document a piece of pop culture history - back when those parties were underground events. before the big corporate sponsorships etc, they had a certain vibe that no longer exists daw.  

I'm surprised Eddie Boy's point was glossed over by Tim Yap when he wrote about the exhibit in the Inquirer... as usual Tim Yap is more into writing about himself. Then again if the point were more known then Yap's dance club might be affected, hehehe

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 04:18:13 PM »
Ah here it is, from the invitation... opening is long past but the exhibit is still going on.

Come to the opening of When We Danced, photographs of the party
years of 1995-2000 by Eddie Boy Escudero, on March 8, 2005 at the
Silver Lens Gallery, 33C South Tower, Pacific Plaza, Bonifacio. Call
8160044 for more information.

The exhibit will run up to April 12, 2005. The gallery is open from
9am to 5pm.

Offline brendan

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 11:52:06 AM »
in australia at the moment, the electronic dance scene is actually alot bigger than any other genre of music. Especially in the 2 major cities, where it is taking over in a big way and not slowing down. We have huge raves very often.

In melbourne, there is about 100 nightclubs within a 500m square radius, most of which cater for the electronic genres. This means that theres always a selection of nightclubs open, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is only getting bigger and bigger here. Maybe it will get bigger in manilla one day.