hulika

Author Topic: pups for my FENDER '57RI japan strat  (Read 5564 times)

Offline maria athena

• Philmusicus Noobitus
pups for my FENDER '57RI japan strat
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:42:14 PM »
ano kaya bagay na pups sa fender '57RI strat ko? ngyn kc eh alnico ang stock nun eh, kung sakali mag upgrade ako, ano kaya bagay na ilagay dun? tnx

Offline Kulas

Re: pups for my FENDER '57RI japan strat
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »
are you looking to replace the whole set or piece ba piece lang?

it depends on your taste, your music, and your budget.

first, what sort of sound are you looking for in your strat? the stock alnico pickups on the reissues are pretty good already. if you want a bright, jangly strat tone, get vintage spec pickups. if you want a round fat, glassy, bluesy tone, get a hot or overwound set. if you want a modern-sounding strat, get EMG's.

next, your music. that kind of music will you be playing with that strat? kasi the tone you'll be getting might not match the particular music you'll be playing. like a low-output vintage set might not do justice to heavy metal music, you'll just end up frustrated.

last, budget. if the budget is limited, the choices are limited, if you have a pretty high ceiling on your price, the possibilities are endless. there are the cheaper GFS pickups (which are good na rin) then there are the mid-priced dimarzios and duncans and fender CS pickups, then there are the boutique ones, the lollars, fralins, bareknuckles, etc.

so yun, think of what you want muna para you won't end up spending on something na hindi mo magugustuhan in the end. good luck!

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »
GFS are really good and bang for your buck.

Bill Lawrence Keystones, highly recommended and super affordable. You may also consider the Lawrence L-series stuff. www.billlawrence.com

Rival to BL's? Kinman Pick ups.

Lace Holy Grails are supposed to be very good too.

If you wanna go high end, the handwound, scatter wound variety, check out Bare Knuckles, O.C. Duff, Lollar and Fralin. I'd tip my hat to you if you dive for the Suhr V60s (Arghhh!!!)

if you're on a beer budget, have them scalarized. If they squeal at high gain, BAMF pot them (mine have been and have fantastic results on my stock alnico greco pick ups).

Want more bark and spank for the bridge? Stick a steel baseplate underneath.

Want to warm the bridge up? Have a tone pot attached to it.

You can also give it a new character just by changing the capacitor, upgrade the wire material, and pots to CTS spec.

Changing pick ups makes all the difference toy our tone, but great tone can also be achieved when you find new adventures with what you already have  :wink: just an alternative solution for you to consider. Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Ahhhhh... the ever evolving universe of the strat. don't you just love to bath in option anxiety?!@  :wink:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Jayson77

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 08:23:25 PM »
fender lace ganda
J&J Virgo Sales Corp. Silkscreen Printing Inks and Supplies

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:41:20 PM »
I'd go for EMG SA's specially when equipped with the EXG or SPC.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:44:23 PM »
I'd go for EMG SA's specially when equipped with the EXG or SPC.

yun! mismo rin yan! same with emg-sv's, (with the pole pieces for that classic look). i'm ultra happy with the emg-t's i have on my tele, and have tried an emg loaded MIJ fender strat that was lovely.

Ron Kirn

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:18:37 PM »
well, good luck finding EMG's if you opt for them. so difficult to buy them these days.

mine was as good as sold 30 minutes after i posted my ad. would probably be bummed for the price i sold it had it not been an old acquaintance who bought it.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:47:56 PM »

ginagawa ba ni BAMF ito?

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »

ginagawa ba ni BAMF ito?

hasn't yet, but i've discussed it with him and its a zinch to do  :wink: we can choose the materials pa, copper, aluminum, titanium, adamantium and depleted plutonium  :wink: ji=ust kidding 'bout the last three...  :-D

Ron Kirn

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:09:45 AM »
hehe...

pero oks na copper, Twangbanger ang dating! :-D

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »
uy gusto ko din ng baseplate.. pero para sa tele neck hehe try try lang

click on the link, they have several clips of some strat pickups, from LACE to LOLLARS TO FRALINS..

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat_Pickup_Sound_Clips_W1.cfm

gudluck

Offline maria athena

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 12:15:22 PM »
tnx sa mga replies.,staggered alnico stock pups nito eh maganfa na tumunog, gus2 ko lng upgrade pa.,hehe.,gus2 ko kc ung mdyo twangy and bluesy ung tunog.,hehe.,

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »
if i were you i would just have it star grounded, put on a treble bypass capacitor and the leave the pickups alone, the fact that it is a 57 reissue the pickups are an integral part of the design. if you want the twangy thing youl have to put on a switch between signal of the neck pickup and the bridge so that when you select the bridge or neck with the added switch turned on youll get the psuedo tele config on the second position.

Offline mikeeboy

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »
of all those brands that youve mentioned which is locally availabe dito sa pinas brandnew?

sa audiophile Dimarzio and Duncans ang meron eh,
are you tryin to be an OAs?

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 05:18:56 PM »
minsan merong fender custom shop pickups sa perfect pitch.

but the rest of the brand names being thrown around? no... they'd have to be bought abroad.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 05:34:19 PM »

but the rest of the brand names being thrown around? no... they'd have to be bought abroad.

Like 10years ago yata when i was still working for them meron nga pati lace at texas pero konti lang naubus din agad tapos di narin nag pasok ulit

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »
got my EMG DG20 from ebay.SA set with EXG and SPC and pearl pickguard.

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »

we have the same guitar.  oks na oks na tunog niyan.  but if you want extra bite and twang, try putting a copper baseplate sa bridge

tnx sa mga replies.,staggered alnico stock pups nito eh maganfa na tumunog, gus2 ko lng upgrade pa.,hehe.,gus2 ko kc ung mdyo twangy and bluesy ung tunog.,hehe.,

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »

Like 10years ago yata when i was still working for them meron nga pati lace at texas pero konti lang naubus din agad tapos di narin nag pasok ulit

meron padin lace at texas. check yupangco main.. lots of lace. blue, gold , red etc

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 09:19:51 AM »
....get an ORIGINAL Fender pickup like one of the Custom series..... sayang ang pagkaFender ng strat mo.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 09:55:18 AM »

we have the same guitar.  oks na oks na tunog niyan.  but if you want extra bite and twang, try putting a copper baseplate sa bridge

i still remeber it correctly 2 klase lang and lumabas na MIJ reissue strats one is the 50's which is actually a 54model in maple necks basswood or poplar body 3tone and 2tone sb, whine red and black colors with V-neck and 1 ply pickguard. the other is the 60's i cant remember the exact year model, also came in with same colors but with rosewood fingerboard C-neck and 3 ply pickguard. we sold those at 22k back then.

and come on, whats the point of acquiring a reissue strat if your going to replace integral parts? just try to keep it as it is. yun nga siguro starground lang at treble leak mod lang ayus na yan. walang replacement. sa mga reissue nakakabawas sa appreciation yun stock parts replacements. if you keep it as it is in ten years mag aapreciate payan and who knows baka maisipan mopa yan i liquidate diba. kung gusto mo pa mas hotter sound get a hotter guitar, dude sayang e! :-o
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:56:32 AM by erniebong »

Offline maria athena

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
sa bagay.,tnx guys

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 07:47:42 PM »
i still remeber it correctly 2 klase lang and lumabas na MIJ reissue strats one is the 50's which is actually a 54model in maple necks basswood or poplar body 3tone and 2tone sb, whine red and black colors with V-neck and 1 ply pickguard. the other is the 60's i cant remember the exact year model, also came in with same colors but with rosewood fingerboard C-neck and 3 ply pickguard. we sold those at 22k back then.

but I didn't get this from PP.  mine's a Jap Fender 57ri.  2 pc alder body / 1 pc maple neck / Fender Original Vintage Pickups :-)

and come on, whats the point of acquiring a reissue strat if your going to replace integral parts? just try to keep it as it is. yun nga siguro starground lang at treble leak mod lang ayus na yan. walang replacement. sa mga reissue nakakabawas sa appreciation yun stock parts replacements. if you keep it as it is in ten years mag aapreciate payan and who knows baka maisipan mopa yan i liquidate diba. kung gusto mo pa mas hotter sound get a hotter guitar, dude sayang e! :-o

well, you can still change the PUs.  just keep the stock ones in case you'd want to sell this guitar all stock in the future.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 07:55:54 PM »

+1 for that!

the fender CS pick ups are very very good. Great clean, and have a nice ring when overdriven, and quack better than daffy and donald can.  :wink:

Ron Kirn