hulika

Author Topic: Are You a Visual Timekeeper?... or simply a drummer?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline zyncopado

• Netizen Level
Are You a Visual Timekeeper?... or simply a drummer?
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
Not all drummers are created equal.  Some are great, some are mediocre, some are better off doing something else.  However, the beauty of our instrument is the fact that we get to have the BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE!

People like Michael Alba, Victor ng Cavite, Harley Alarcon, Mar Dizon, Ernie Severino, Leslie "wolf" Gemora, Reimund Marasigan, the late Edmund Fortuno, Ringo Star, Tommy Lee, Allan Burdeos, John Blackwell, Rikki Rocket and Zoro, among others, are musicians who bring the drums in the forefront by being more than drummers.  They use facial expressions, stick twirls, stage cages, acrobatic maneuvers, etc on top of their timekeeping to call themselves Visual Timekeepers. Heck, some of them even sing lead vocals like Don Henley, Phil Collins, Benjie "bagets" Mendez, Dean Castronovo...

In your own opinion, would you consider yourself a visual timekeeper or simply a drummer?  Are you part of the "act" or are you just riding on your Vocalist's and your Guitar Player's extrovertish stage persona?

Does your "snobbish" or "congenial" persona engage your audience or not? 

Kasama ka ba sa nagdadala ng banda?  O ikaw ba ang mabigat na dinadala?

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
Re: Are You a Visual Timekeeper?... or simply a drummer?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:52:38 AM »
another interesting topic :)
GDBLZ

Offline niNgpo

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
i'm simply a drummer! ahaha! i can't do certain things like stick twirling.
Although it's a big help to keep your performance attractive.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »
Im simply a drummer. Everything I do during performance comes out naturally, like dancing or head bobbing/banging. Making an "act" is not my style, and I dont think that makes me a pabigat drummer.  :-)
So Be It.

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:23:59 PM »
i let my groove and the way i play do the flash for me. di rin ako masyadong mahilig magtricks except sa ginagawa kong crossover sticking crash fill.

gusto ko low-key lang ako, pero mabigat parin ang dating. :) baka mainis lang rin mga kabanda ko kung natuto ako magtricks at magpasikat.
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
I'm simply a drummer. Pero masaya pa rin. :-)

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:08:31 AM »
In line with the topic one thing popped in my mind; what Thomas Lang said:

" Never let your tricks/showmanship get in the way of your drumming."

If you are able to do tricks while keeping a steady beat then good for you, if you cant, it is still good! :lol:
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »
hmmm... i'm not really aware of what i do when performing. i just focus on the song, and when i get carried away, i do some tricks.
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline niNgpo

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »
In line with the topic one thing popped in my mind; what Thomas Lang said:

" Never let your tricks/showmanship get in the way of your drumming."

I remember that! also he said "it's just all about the visual goofiness"

Offline briant

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 01:12:30 AM »
just a simple drummer... but not a showman... can't do those stick maneuvers  :-D
\"Drums is the pulse, and without the pulse there\'s no life...\"

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »
simpleng drummer lang, jusko ialagay ko pa ba yang "stick tricks" sa pagtugtog ko eh kung hirap na hirap na nga ako sa tinutugtog ko..diba?  :lol:
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline kimpoy19

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
saamin, lahat kami pantay lang. kasi kapag may unity hindi niyo mararamdaman na nagaakbayan kayong mga magkakabanda.
pero hindi ako nagstick-tricks. hindi ko magagawa yung siguro kapag pinractice ko. hehe! pero iba saakin, sumasayaw ako habang nagdudrums eh. ewan ko kung bakit gnun, medyo may mga sway ako. =D
drumming is my greatest way to praise the Lord!

Offline arcie_tofu03

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »
dont have any stick tricks or acrobatic manuevers..just giving the song half of its life and my bandmates do the rest..just simple as I am..
\

Offline zyncopado

• Netizen Level
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 12:57:36 AM »
maybe, the right question is ... are you exciting to watch onstage (visual timekeeper) or are you boring (simply drumming)

do you exude confidence?  do you engage your audience?  do they leave the venue saying... "ALL the people onstage served the music dynamically!"  Or do they say... "if not for the DRUMMER, the band would have been cohesive."

simply a drummer is different from a simple drummer.

"simply a drummer" is someone who sits behind the kit and only concerns himself with himself.  typical look of this individual is someone who doesn't know his "mouth is open"... "has a blank stare"... "no confidence"...  "beat not infectious".

Are you a Visual Timekeeper?  or simply a drummer?

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 09:38:41 AM »
Knowing all sorts of tricks doesn't make one a better Musician but can be cosidered as sort of a BONUS.

Having a Good Posture Playing with Confidence and not looking Silly yet enjoying myself is enough for me to get the job well done.  8-)

Another Issue is Over Playing alot of not too experienced players sometimes have the tendency to "Over Play" even if it was not Musically Fit just to "Show OFF" which can really be annoying both to the ears and eyes.  :roll:
Arguing over the Internet is like joining the "SPECIAL OLYMPICS"...Becoz "Even If You Win You're Still A RETARD.!!!"

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »
maybe, the right question is ... are you exciting to watch onstage (visual timekeeper) or are you boring (simply drumming)

do you exude confidence?  do you engage your audience?  do they leave the venue saying... "ALL the people onstage served the music dynamically!"  Or do they say... "if not for the DRUMMER, the band would have been cohesive."

simply a drummer is different from a simple drummer.

"simply a drummer" is someone who sits behind the kit and only concerns himself with himself.  typical look of this individual is someone who doesn't know his "mouth is open"... "has a blank stare"... "no confidence"...  "beat not infectious".

Are you a Visual Timekeeper?  or simply a drummer?

This has become a subjective question, bro. Even the audience's opinion on a particular drummer may vary, so mahirap magbuhat ng sariling bangko. :-D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:53:56 PM by Bammbamm »
So Be It.