hulika

Author Topic: On home recording  (Read 1860 times)

Offline frosty_fingerz

On home recording
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:27:53 AM »
I wanna start recording my songs on my pc but i don't know where to start. I have a pretty good pc, 1.5ghz 1gb ram then my guitar and a zoom 606 pedal.

what software/hardware do i need/ you recommend? i'm only doing this for myself so i don't have that much money to burn. and where can i buy them?
"Nolite te bastardes carborondorum"

I live my life between Lion Shots and Chasers™

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
On home recording
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »
You'll have to set out in a way what you want first before deciding on the final configuaration of your hardware and software.

For starters your PC is good. But you'll need a separate hard disk for the software to use as a "scratchpad" where it keeps its temp files. The audio software and the scratchpad must not be on the same hard disk, it will definitely cause latency issues.  If you intend to lay down just one stereo track at a time, a mid to high end commercial soundcard will suffice. Minimum should be at least an SB Vibra, with SB Live and Audigy being the better choices. If you intend to lay two or more tracks simultaneously (e.g. different tracks for different parts of a drum kit) then you'll have to get a multi-track soundcard.

Then you'll need a mixer, possibly two if you intend to use two or more simultaneous tracks. My own home studio, I just used a 4-input China powered mixer which also doubles as the vocals amp. Use that as the preamp because if you use the mic made for computers, it may sound real [gooey brown stuff] (noisy and too sensitive). Not to mention that you'll be limited to only one mic.

Then the software. If you buy say an m-audio soundcard, it may come with Protools M-powered software, which to say, are made for each other. Bar that, there are good software around like Cubase, Adobe Audition (my setup) and Cakewalk Sonar XP.

Then read up on miking and mixing techniques. Beauty of software controlled is that you can "pre-program" many things like fade-ins and fade-outs, panning etc. On low end analog setups, you will have to do that manually as the mix is going on. Beauty too of software is that you won't need too many, if at all, outboard effects. Almost everything you will need is in software : compression, delay, reverb, chorus even distortion. Nice thing is you can always "undo" whatever you did :D. Right now the only outboard effect that I wish I had is a Compressor for the drums.

BAMF
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline frosty_fingerz

On home recording
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:10:27 AM »
wow....that was pretty exhaustive.

thanks man.
"Nolite te bastardes carborondorum"

I live my life between Lion Shots and Chasers™

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
On home recording
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 12:25:39 PM »
Latency comes in 2 flavors: audio and midi. Usually the cpu and hardware, drivers (MME, WDM/KS/Directsound, ASIO), and audiocard/midi interface determine the amount of latency the overall system will produce. Since a hard disk has buffers, it doesn't figure much in latency equations; what a hard disk contributes to is overall track count, usually playback. Obviously fast hard disks (7200 rpm and faster) will have a higher track count than 5400 rpm disks. Data fragmentation also contributes to lower track counts (because the disk has to work harder) so it's always recommended to regularly defrag the audio hard disk.

If you want to know more about computer based recording, try visiting Tweakheadz.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire