hulika

Author Topic: "Albert King can blow Eddie Van Halen away with two notes"  (Read 5334 times)

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Albert King can blow Eddie Van Halen away with two notes"
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
From Guitar Player, 1988

Do you have any advice for people who find themselves overplaying?

"Yeah. In my experience, when you're playing in a big hall--a 10,000 seater or some thing--at some point the flashiness, playing incredibly fast, and being technically capable starts to be a blur. I've found that, in general less is more. For example, Albert King can blow Eddie Van Halen off the stage with his amp on standby, even though technically Eddie Van Halen is probably the most over-whelming guitar player alive. You know, Eddie Van Halen can pretty much play circles around anybody existing. But Albert King can blow him away with two notes. I have nothing but respect for Eddie; I can't even comprehend what he does. But why would anybody want to play like that? After two or three solos it's a blur. Heavy metal is one format, and the important thing there is to really kick ass. It takes time, but after a while, you should just settle down and get your intellect out of the way and just let the guitar play itself." - Joe Walsh

I honestly share the same sentiments. How do you guys feel about this?

Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Albert King can blow Eddie Van Halen away with two notes"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
this is better aimed at Yngwie, i think. I've seen Eddie play a few times and he is as capable of lightning fast stuff as he is the slow stuff. i do agree with the article to an extent but i would expand on it to specify that tasteful fast playing can be just as interesting and powerful as slow notes. Two great polar examples would be Buddy Guy and Guthrie Govan...I've seen both live up close and, sh*t, their taste in notes, phrasing and composition are equally as interesting; it ain't about how fast you get to the end of the song, its how you steer the song and the notes to get there.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline km-r

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
+1 mas fit yan kay mr INGVEI...  :-D

this is one reason why i like paul gilbert, he can play incredibly fast but with awesomeness...  :-D
and i was blown away with one jamming he had in a G3 tour, with satriani and petrucci, he really flowed out some nice notes...

hendrix does not overplay...  :-)

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »
Eddies got good note selection too and is definitely up there with the greats. I dont think its fair to say that Albert king can blow him out of the water too because it depends on your audience. for musicians that will probably be true that AK is the [gooey brown stuff], but to the actual vast majority of consumers of music (the people we play for), i think theyll be more impressed with eddie. At the end of the day, ticket sales says it all.

It all really depends on who your talking to.

Im sure this is in reference to the slash, JM thread..  and  I still stand by MHO that JM killed slash  :oops:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:34:54 PM by vhunter »

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
or Batio or Herman Li. Great inputs Abyss, as always.

Offline SeafoodPancake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »

+1 for Batio and Herman Li.
"got milk?" ,"got GAS?"

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:52:09 PM »
yeah, i love Batio's techniques and I was always referred to his lessons and material when I was learning from guitar teachers back in the day. Batio was (still is, actually) a pretty popular clinician in IL where is from and the guy has great speed and efficiency but the message of his songs always seemed to get lost on me. I would prefer Paul Gilbert as a better balance of speed, finesse, playfulness and creativity when it comes to bridging quick playing with content.

@Vhunter: i agree that JM did much better than Slash in the vid...I am sure Slash is an accomplished and skilled axeslinger in his own right but he hasn't really done anything out of the box to challenge himself as much as JM has in the past few years. I am fan of Slash's old work but, honestly, Velvet Revolver is not really all that (I've seen VR and Army of Anyone live for comparison) and I find the group more GnR "lite" as opposed to something truly new that expands on Slash's potential as a guitar player. Dude needs something new to shake the cobwebs off instead of basically playing with the 'ol GnR guys and boxing himself in post-GnR...
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
Eddies got good note selection too and is definitely up there with the greats. I dont think its fair to say that Albert king can blow him out of the water too because it depends on your audience. for musicians that will probably be true that AK is the [gooey brown stuff], but to the actual vast majority of consumers of music (the people we play for), i think theyll be more impressed with eddie. At the end of the day, ticket sales says it all.

It all really depends on who your talking to.

Im sure this is in reference to the slash, JM thread..  and  I still stand by MHO that JM killed slash  :oops:

True, entirely different styles and audience. I guess I am in a phase where it gets tiring to listen to already when guitarists overplay so to speak (and I'm only in my mid 20's so I dont think its age). I do appreciate tasteful fast playing, and I still get 'wow'ed by the likes of Guthrie and even Eric Johnson.

About that thread, yeah it made me dig up the article. Somehow, that thread about TIME mag's top 10 list got me thinking too. I was amused at how many people were complaining that none of G3 were included when very few actually realized that SRV wasnt in it either - and nor was EVH. Funny, I saw them doing a cover of Little Wing in youtube, and they really butchered the song - especially Yngwie. Only Satriani did the song justice. Classic example of overplaying.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »
well, let them play what they want to play. thats where their hearts are.
*i find it hard to tell that a "thing" is ugly, when i know someone loves it very much and thinks its soooo pretty :-D
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »
*i find it hard to tell that a "thing" is ugly, when i know someone loves it very much and thinks its soooo pretty :-D
the analogy i've always used is music is like talking. its communicating and relating a thought or emotion. and when you look at it that way, you cant say one form is "good" and another is "awful". you either get it or you dont. someone else might get it. baka iba lang yung language used. or the words used are different from what you're familiar with or what you want to hear. your technique is similar to the way you enunciate stuff. your knowledge of theory is your vocabulary. your phrasing and note choice similar to choosing the words to use.

it doesnt matter whether you speak clearly or slur your words, whether you use just a few words or many, whether you use simple words or deliver a flowery speech. as long as you get your message across to whoever it is you want to reach, then you've done your job.

that said, i still dont get why Slash is in there instead of Angus. the music they play is a bit similar. the styles are comparable. the technique is close enough for any difference to be negligible. their tones are both orgasmic (although Angus has had been more consistent in that department, Slash's took a nosedive after AFD I think). they're both stuck doing what they've been always been doing in the beginning and are still making tons out of it. heck, in terms of image, both are equally iconic (top hat wearing, curly haired guitar slinger vs. school boy). but Angus has been around longer, has been more consistent, has been able to sell us the same song in the same key for over 30 years, and has better teeth.

Offline jehed

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
I dont agree in his view that 'Heavy metal is one format'. He is Joe Walsh, what is it that he can't understand with the diversity of music? Oh well, thats how he sees in and this article was written in '88.
and thats the fun i have though.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
the analogy i've always used is music is like talking. its communicating and relating a thought or emotion. and when you look at it that way, you cant say one form is "good" and another is "awful". you either get it or you dont. someone else might get it. baka iba lang yung language used. or the words used are different from what you're familiar with or what you want to hear. your technique is similar to the way you enunciate stuff. your knowledge of theory is your vocabulary. your phrasing and note choice similar to choosing the words to use.

it doesnt matter whether you speak clearly or slur your words, whether you use just a few words or many, whether you use simple words or deliver a flowery speech. as long as you get your message across to whoever it is you want to reach, then you've done your job.

that said, i still dont get why Slash is in there instead of Angus. the music they play is a bit similar. the styles are comparable. the technique is close enough for any difference to be negligible. their tones are both orgasmic (although Angus has had been more consistent in that department, Slash's took a nosedive after AFD I think). they're both stuck doing what they've been always been doing in the beginning and are still making tons out of it. heck, in terms of image, both are equally iconic (top hat wearing, curly haired guitar slinger vs. school boy). but Angus has been around longer, has been more consistent, has been able to sell us the same song in the same key for over 30 years, and has better teeth.

agree.

sometimes i don't like something but, it is I who doesn't like it so why would i judge him/her? im just 1 of the billion poeple who have their own preference.

but this is not to say that i am deaf. i know people who sings in tune and who do not. i know who has the voice, or kung sino ang pinipilit lang. kung sino ang pinipilit mag gitara, at ang may skill.

im talking about people who has more or less matched skills.

Offline deewantoy_11

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »

Good analogy bro. If you'd allow me to borrow it, what do you think about people who talk too much and lack substance then? That's what I'm trying to point out. I have nothing against fast playing (like Abyss said, you can play fast and tasteful at the same time) and I'm not trying to compare two styles. I understand we all have different preferences, but lets not stray too far from the topic. Its not about diversity, its about substance. Just an exchange of opinions in this thread, I hope no sparks fly.  :-)

OT: yeah, I'd rather have Angus in there as well.

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 02:55:04 PM »
Let's change the question: what do you guys think about guitarists who tend to "overplay"?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »
i don't agree with Joe Walsh...I mean, Joe is the same dude who's has the widest brand range in guitar endorsing..last time I check he's now cool with floyd rose equipped guitars..

...Albert King wouldn't blow anybody at all if he were to sub EVH in VH.., same when people booed steve vai when he took Yngwie's vacancy in Alcatrazz.  And yes, YJM do blow up countless classics..but that's just his style and he wouldn't apologize for that "less is less and more is more" motto in guitar playing.  Stevie ray and moreover, Bonamassa play tons of notes in blues, but no one argues with the fact that they were great.

the right person in the right band and music setting is what always counts for me.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
Let's change the question: what do you guys think about guitarists who tend to "overplay"?

can you elaborate "overplay"?

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
here are my thoughts on this:

EVH can probably play like Albert King if he should choose to... chances are pretty high that he can emulate the technique.

However if the situations were reversed, I doubt Albert King could do what EVH does.  :-)

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »
can you elaborate "overplay"?

Well the term is relative. What I see as overplaying might not be the case for you. Or maybe for others there is no such thing as overplaying? But since you asked, I see it in 2 ways: when one plays really fast but neglects phrasing and feel; and when I feel like I'm watching a circus more than listening to music.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »

EVH can probably play like Albert King if he should choose to... chances are pretty high that he can emulate the technique.

However if the situations were reversed, I doubt Albert King could do what EVH does.  :-)

KABOOM!! :-D
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline toybitz

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
i have a thread before about overplaying..when the search function is ok...I'll grab the youtube link of a classic example of overplaying "Faithfully".
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »
Well the term is relative. What I see as overplaying might not be the case for you. Or maybe for others there is no such thing as overplaying? But since you asked, I see it in 2 ways: when one plays really fast but neglects phrasing and feel; and when I feel like I'm watching a circus more than listening to music.

ok i got it.

like one post said, one can play really fast but still plays meloducally and with feel..

but you are correct, some just...plays fast.
my take on that: soldiers who has high caliber weapons who aims nothing but the air. i think dragonforce belongs to that category. agree or not? well, thats my perception.

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »

However if the situations were reversed, I doubt Albert King could do what EVH does.  :-)

True. In fact I dont think anyone could do what EVH does. Just as Walsh stated, EVH can play circles around anyone (at the time the interview was made) I guess for him it gets tiring to listen to as well. Btw, my sentiments are not directed towards EVH and Albert King per se. I am a fan of both. Abyss was dead on in saying that Walsh's statement would have been more suited to the likes of Malmsteen and Batio.

@pitongjerome - yeah. Dragonforce is too much for me to swallow, definitely.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:44:48 PM by boogsy »

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
Shades of the SRV vs Yngwie thread.   :-D  I'll defend the EVH side, just because the bluezguy seem to get a lot of lop-sided favor in these kinds of threads (on a guitar forum no less).  Well, not really taking sides, since I'd listen to both.

Ganito lang views ko dyan.  Strict blues in large doses can also get boring.  It's also prone to overplaying from the guitar players.  Sure, the blues 'kings' are legends in their own right, but I also can't listen to it for extended hours.

Second, they chose to do what they do.  Go back in time to their youth, make Albert King or SRV take up neo-classical shred, then make EVH or Yngwie take blues to heart.  It takes the same amount of skill and effort to get to where they are right now.  Astig pareho para saken.

About "Just plays fast"...  :roll: :roll: well that's only what you hear.  There's an equal amount of nuances compared to when you hear a bent vibrato or a timed pause or good phrasing in a blues player.  There is also texture and richness of detail to hear in the EVH sonic palette.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
Go back in time to their youth, make Albert King or SRV take up neo-classical shred, then make EVH or Yngwie take blues to heart.  It takes the same amount of skill and effort to get to where they are right now.  Astig pareho para saken.

True that.

With EVH naman, i've read somewhere that he actually grew up idolizing Eric Clapton and could play every single Clapton solo by heart.  So I'm assuming that I don't think there is a need for us to go back in time to see if EVH can do the blues.  He grew up on it. :)