hulika

Author Topic: I honestly despise the SIGNATURE/DESIGNER "coolness" idea  (Read 17812 times)

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I honestly despise the SIGNATURE/DESIGNER "coolness" idea
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 01:40:42 PM »
that's why i said if its for professional use or you need it to earn money, ibang usapan na yon. i was referring sa situation na hilig ang pinag uusapan. haven't you read my first post? oh anyway, kung hilig ng girl ang mamahaling bag at ikaw naman ay mahilig sa gitarang 50K, then wala akong makitang difference or wala kang karapatang mag tanong sa girl na 'bakit mahilig ka sa mamahaling bag' kasi nga, the way i see it, pareho lang kayong bumili ng mamahaling bagay dahil GUSTO niyo.

now, kung yung girl ay mahilig sa mamahaling bag at ikaw ay bumili ng mamahaling gitara dahil PROFESSION mo ang tumugtog, then that's a different story kasi obviously, ikaw mei reason ka to buy that expensive guitar.

people, try to analyze the situation. di porket against kayo sa signature items, doesn't mean you have to be one-sided...  :roll:

Okay, here's my stand on this. I myself don't own a P50k guitar. What I have is an RJ LP. If there's a cheaper alternative, then why bother getting a ridiculously expensive one? I'm not against people who buy signature items. As long as they have the dough for it. Kung wala kang pera, pero nagpupumilit kang sumabay dun sa mayayaman, dun na ako nababadtrip. How I wish my brother can read this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:42:11 PM by riffscreamer »

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »
I spend more where it actually matters to spend more. With instruments, there will always be differences among entry-level, mid-level, and pro-level so I tend to spend more on these; where it might matter and will give you a real-world (meaning usable) advantage. I find this to be true also with products such as cars (say, choosing between a Chery and a Honda), audio equipment (Minami or Kenwood), video equipment (Asahi or Sony), etc.

However, with bags, belts, and shoes, I don't spend more on designer brands of these products. I can't seem to rationalize spending Php50K on a bag because a Php500 bag will actually serve the same purpose (its SOLE purpose actually) of carrying my stuff around. Designer brands may be chic but, for me, they don't offer any "special" advantage that could justify their steep price.

And this has something to do with these products' designs. Belts, bags, and shoes aren't that complicated at all in their design. So, in the simplicity of their design, I find they could only offer two real-world advantages over their cheaper counterparts: AESTHETICS & STURDINESS. Meanwhile, with a product as complicated as a car, or an amplifier, or an LCD TV, aside from the two aforementioned advantages they may have technology incorporated in their design that may actually give you a lot more usable advantages. Thus, it may be wise to spend more on these types of products.

But if LV could come up with a pair of shoes that could pick up women (yung tipong may push button sa sole and, when pressed, the woman you are talking with will become instantly attracted to you), I might pay 50K for those. Until then, a 50K-pair-o'-shoes will, at the end of the day, still just be a pair of shoes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:54:57 PM by FINGERZAP »

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »
I spend more where it actually matters to spend more. With instruments, there will always be differences among entry-level, mid-level, and pro-level so I tend to spend more on these; where it might matter and will give you a real-world (meaning usable) advantage. I find this to be true also with products such as cars (say, choosing between a Chery and a Honda), audio equipment (Minami or Kenwood), video equipment (Asahi or Sony), etc.

However, with bags, belts, and shoes, I don't spend more on designer brands of these products. I can't seem to rationalize spending Php50K on a bag because a Php500 bag will actually serve the same purpose (its SOLE purpose actually) of carrying my stuff around. Designer brands may be chic but, for me, they don't offer any "special" advantage that could justify their steep price.

And this has something to do with these products' designs. Belts, bags, and shoes aren't that complicated at all in their design. So, in the simplicity of their design, I find they could only offer two real-world advantages over their cheaper counterparts: AESTHETICS & STURDINESS. Meanwhile, with a product as complicated as a car, or an amplifier, or an LCD TV, aside from the two aforementioned advantages they may have technology incorporated in their design that may actually give you a lot more usable advantages. Thus, it may be wise to spend more on these types of products.

But if LV could come up with a pair of shoes that could pick up women (yung tipong may push button sa sole and, when pressed, the woman you are talking with will become instantly attracted to you), I might pay 50K for those. Until then, a 50K-pair-o'-shoes will, at the end of the day, still just be a pair of shoes.

+1
My point exactly.

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »
However, with bags, belts, and shoes, I don't spend more on designer brands of these products. I can't seem to rationalize spending Php50K on a bag because a Php500 bag will actually serve the same purpose (its SOLE purpose actually) of carrying my stuff around.

if you tell that to Chanel, they'll probably say:

"Our bags ARE DEFINITELY NOT ONLY FOR CARRYING STUFF AROUND. Chanel is a statement."

LOL, i dunno what that means, but what is trash to you may be precious to someone else; what you take for granted can actually be appreciated by others.

for an immediate example, signature stuff is usually associated with Social Status; the more of it you have, the higher your status in life. it's the same with guitars; the more Suhrs you have, it means you can afford it, thus you have a high status in life.

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »
if you tell that to Chanel, they'll probably say:

"Our bags ARE DEFINITELY NOT ONLY FOR CARRYING STUFF AROUND. Chanel is a statement."

This probably means "If you're stupid enough to believe this statement, then THANK YOU for making us richer!"  :-D
Look, a bag is a bag.

LOL, i dunno what that means, but what is trash to you may be precious to someone else; what you take for granted can actually be appreciated by others.

for an immediate example, signature stuff is usually associated with Social Status; the more of it you have, the higher your status in life. it's the same with guitars; the more Suhrs you have, it means you can afford it, thus you have a high status in life.

Again, the simplicity of a bag and the complexity of a guitar are factors here. Whether it be a Php500 or a Php50,000 bag, it will serve the same purpose of carrying your stuff around; kahit na, let's say, imperfect yung pagkakatahi nung cheaper bag. But consider a Php5000 Lumanog and a Php50,000 Ibanez, they could be worlds apart! If the Lumanog had a warped neck and cannot be in-tune, it will not be even playable! So it cannot serve its purpose. But the Php500 bag, with all its imperfection, still serves its purpose. This is what I mean by "I spend more where it matters to spend more".

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »
that's why i said if its for professional use or you need it to earn money, ibang usapan na yon. i was referring sa situation na hilig ang pinag uusapan. haven't you read my first post?

now, kung yung girl ay mahilig sa mamahaling bag at ikaw ay bumili ng mamahaling gitara dahil PROFESSION mo ang tumugtog, then that's a different story kasi obviously, ikaw mei reason ka to buy that expensive guitar.

Gurl I read your post, but what I failed to emphasize was POTENTIAL of an item.  Example.  If you had 300sq. m of idle land in Ayala, versus a hectare of idle land in San Mateo, Rizal, they both are STILL IDLE INVESTMENTS.  Non-moving investments.  But why is the Ayala property more expensive than that of the San Mateo one?  That is because the Ayala property has more intrinsic value and has the potential to generate income, kahit na puro talahib lang siya.  On the one hand, ang isang lupa sa San Mateo na puro talahib ay pareho lang ang benefit kumpara sa isang lupa sa Makati na puro talahib.

IMO, a LV bag, no matter how much "intrinsic value" they say they possess, cannot bring you income, at all, (unless you talk about rarities that most Hollywood celebrities buy, and eventually sell for much higher because they were pre-owned by celebrities.)  On the other hand, an expensive guitar may probably exceed the quality of a cheap guitar, but in an "investment" context, a working musician can benefit from that.   

people, try to analyze the situation. di porket against kayo sa signature items, doesn't mean you have to be one-sided...  :roll:

You don't understand.  Kaming mga lalaki ang nabubutasan ng bulsa. :D

Offline gUrLaLiEn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »
You don't understand.  Kaming mga lalaki ang nabubutasan ng bulsa. :D

ganun ba...  :lol: nyahahaha... sabihin niyo dun sa girl bumili siya mag isa niya...  :lol:

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
so ano na to, nagko-concede na ang mga kababaihan? panalo na ba kami?  :-D
Ows? Di nga?

Offline gUrLaLiEn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 06:29:10 PM »
so ano na to, nagko-concede na ang mga kababaihan? panalo na ba kami?  :-D

panalo saan? mei laban ba?

Offline redhotchillipepe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »
most of my shirts are priced at only 150 bucks and i'm proud of it. i don't care if you have a polo or guess shirt. at least hindi ako nangungutang pambili ng luho ko.  8-)
funky monk

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 04:12:43 PM »
most of my shirts are priced at only 150 bucks and i'm proud of it. i don't care if you have a polo or guess shirt. at least hindi ako nangungutang pambili ng luho ko.  8-)

tshirt ko pang ofis 75 pesos lang...pag bumili ako ng isang set(6 shirts) may discount pang 40 pesos kaya 410pesos na lang para sa anim na shirts  :-D
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline redhotchillipepe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »
tshirt ko pang ofis 75 pesos lang...pag bumili ako ng isang set(6 shirts) may discount pang 40 pesos kaya 410pesos na lang para sa anim na shirts  :-D

hhmmmm... san ka bumibili pre? ha ha ha :-D yung bibinibili ko usually sa greenhills yung shirt na may print lang sa harap pero minsan mahal pa, yung 150 sa sm dept. store.  :-D
funky monk

Offline bianxraquel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »

eh panong hindi magiging 75 each generic na plain black lang naman tshirt mo araw-araw sa office eh amfufu!

Offline boplex

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »
"branded" ba ang bench??? kasi isa sa luho ko ung bumili ng briefs ng bench n penshoppe...i feel sexy kasi  :-P...kesa yc bikini or carter... :-P

sa ken kasi, subjective din ang brand...depende sa maraming factors like capacity to pay, classification ng need or want...like wats been said b4 me, if u have the moolah, or u need it for work, then its ok to buy higher brands...everything else, yabang or inggit lang nagdrive sa taong un... :evil:

abt d plain shirts....i buy my plain shirts sa divisoria...P58each, its plain, ryt, so wat, i can't complain...pag gus2 ko ng print, edi DIY print... (OT: we are selling our band shirt...P200 only...check out our frendster: wearefreefish@gmail.com...shameless plug... :lol:)...

Offline rimshot601

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
May mga mayayaman kasi na ayaw nilang matawag silang kuripot.  :lol:
There's humor in irony...
~Rrrakkenrohohoholl!!!

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
hehe, interesting thread. POV ko, let them splurge all the way until they realize what a moron they were for becoming too attached to that signature hype dodo. bags and guitars cant be compared, never should be, considering the potential of the guitar to the user vis-s-vis the bag to its owner.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »
hhmmmm... san ka bumibili pre? ha ha ha :-D yung bibinibili ko usually sa greenhills yung shirt na may print lang sa harap pero minsan mahal pa, yung 150 sa sm dept. store.  :-D

sa tutuban pre...ok naman yung quality nya mejo makapal at malambot yung tela...suki na ko dun kaya pag nakita nila pagmumuka ko na parating sa shop nila alam na nila kukunin nila...

eh panong hindi magiging 75 each generic na plain black lang naman tshirt mo araw-araw sa office eh amfufu!

ayoko kasi nung mga damit na may print...minsan lang ako magkaron ng ganun karamihan mga bigay/regalo pa sakin...
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »

hahaha parehas tayo bro, set din ako pag bumili ng shirt sa divisoria, plain din kadalasan binibili ko. pag wala kasing print, wala silang masasabi na "uy di ba suot mo yan nung isang araw?" hahahaha.
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 11:54:30 PM »
sa school paper namin, may article na related sa thread na to. from what i remember, (tinapon ko na kasi yung paper na yun. hehe). nakalagay dun na bumibili ang mga tao ng signature/designer brands dahil ito'y nagtataas ng kanilang self-esteem, and it kind of associates themselves with a certain crowd, the "in" crowd i believe.

but this is not the case for me. i'll buy anything that works. i'll buy branded stuff because they offer designs that non-branded stuff does not offer, and vice-versa too.  :-)

Offline Stompbox

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »
Mas importante sa akin itsura ng damit o ng gamit, hindi yung brand.  Ang mentality ko: if I can buy it for cheap, then I'll get it.

I'm not one to boast brands anyway.
Stompworks Studios :: motion graphics.visual effects.web design.print     http://www.stompworks-studios.com

STEREODEAL  http://www.myspace.com/stereodeal

Offline kriz_dabu

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
i always go for the quality. kung kaya naman ng bulsa why not. kanya-kanyang trip lang naman eh.  :-D
PLAYING THE MUSIC, NOT THE INSTRUMENT. kriz_o_baterista*™

http://krzph.multiply.com

Offline Tiger Balm ^_^

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 11:13:38 PM »
ang ayaw ko lang na ganyan yung sa mga bags ng babae like louis vutton yung  mom ko na aadik tas di naman niya gagamitin sayang lang sa pera naka tago lang sa cabinet eh kung ibigay nalang nya sakin ung pera may pam bili pa ko ng gibson les paul...  :-D  :-D  :-D
my mint ds1+cash for ur ds2 :)

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 01:39:43 AM »
kung sa tingin mo reasonable naman yung price para sa hanap mo...why not?but say pay 50-60k for a bag no way!hey marami mas cheap at mas matibay na brand if ya know where to look..

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 12:46:20 PM »
ang ayaw ko lang na ganyan yung sa mga bags ng babae like louis vutton yung  mom ko na aadik tas di naman niya gagamitin sayang lang sa pera naka tago lang sa cabinet eh kung ibigay nalang nya sakin ung pera may pam bili pa ko ng gibson les paul...  :-D  :-D  :-D

muntik na ko maduling sayo bro hehe.

seriously, may mga taong naapektohan pag meron silang nakikitang signature items na gamit ng iba. for some it raises their self-esteem. sa iba 9like me) walang epekto.

Offline soulfeather

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »
Puwede ka kumita using a P50,000 guitar.  Sa bag na P30k, puwede mo ba pagkakitaan? :D

+10000000000000

same argument pag nagtatalo na kami sa gastos ni gf.... wehehehe

Pero I think people who can really afford it (excluding posers of course who can buy one for show or people that buy the fake ones) buy it because it has now become their standard of living...

Like for us I guess none of us will really wear a pair of mighty kid or a dino light shoes if hey had an adult size for it...

For me I believe in the practicality of an item should be at least equal for their amount... like suites/ dress... designer clothes really have a different cut that curves to the contour of the body.... but you can also have a suite taylor fit for less than the price. might also be a status symbol...

I might be wrong though...  :roll:

labo.... hehehe :-D