hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296675 times)

Offline wilfredo.eclipse

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2009, 01:55:57 PM »
Good Day. Ask ko lang sana ano kaya ang magandang software for recording? Adobe Audition kasi gamit ko medyo limited. Thanks  :-D

djently

« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
Good Day. Ask ko lang sana ano kaya ang magandang software for recording? Adobe Audition kasi gamit ko medyo limited. Thanks  :-D

http://audacity.sf.net
http://reaper.fm

reycantong

« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #378 on: May 04, 2009, 01:04:59 AM »

How come it is LIMITED?
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #379 on: May 04, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »
How come it is LIMITED?

Maybe because it doesn't do midi that well? I find it very good (and fast) for audio post, though.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline wilfredo.eclipse

« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
How come it is LIMITED?

Hirap po ma explain ehh. hehe :lol:

Offline krkNdrx

« Reply #382 on: May 09, 2009, 03:49:34 AM »
noob question here.. :-D here we go, A Core 2 duo or Core 2 quad core for DAW? will the e7400 processor be more efficient or capable for DAW or Quad is the way to go like the Q8200 for its price/future proof?.. it's like 2.8ghz vs 2.3ghz, a faster processor or higher cache? planning on building a PC  strictly for DAW only for band set up recording only not for midi/sequencers or other techno stuffs, so i won't be using so many plug-ins,maybe a little reverb, EQ, compressor/gates, that's all.. i am planning to use Cubase or Sonar..TIA \m/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:51:33 AM by krkNdrx »
keep it low..<br /><br />1994 fender u.s.a. 40th anniversary..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #383 on: May 10, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »
Depends on your requirements. Either a dual core or quad core will work, speed is usually more important for track counts and plugins.

I think the more important item to consider is your audio interface. If you will be recording an entire band, you will need at least an 8-input interface. What's the use of getting a powerful computer if all you will feed it is 2 channels? Of course, you have to make sure that the audio interface is compatible with your computer.

Go into the details of your motherboard chipset and look for incompatibilities with your intended soundcard. Look in the various hardware forums if they have any problems with particular chipsets, or even firewire/usb incompatibilities.

One other thing, choose your OS wisely. XP is a very mature platform, although MS will stop support for it very soon. A colleague of mine is trying out Vista-64 but he seems to be having his share of headaches... which is usually the case when migrating to a new platform.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline krkNdrx

« Reply #384 on: May 10, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »
thanks kitc, for I  now i will be just using my yamaha mixer/usb..for just demo quality recording i hope, my original plan was to buy an maudio ultra 8r kasi wla dealer ng presonus here in the phil., unfortunately out of stock yung 8r, so i was kinda disappointed..so i purchased this yamaha which comes with a bundled cubease 4, for PA use na rin, i will be just getting a stereo recording from this but i can record multi-track but not simultaneously, one by one like drums first or guitars and so on..but in the future i will buy the 8r usb w/c is my original plan, a liitle cheaper than the 2626, the pci sound card i am having second thoughts but it is an option also because of its price and it is also tried and tested..my other concern is will the yamaha act as a sound card/interface also or it is just an interface and what will be used is the stock sound card of my PC? :?

so i guess the the duo will be just enough for what i have, i just have to get the right mobo that is compatible with my software and i will be using the XP pro 32 bit flatform matured na kasi  :-D the less hassle the better for me..can i PM you the system requirements of my cubease?, i need some suggestion.. some computer techs seems clueless when setting up for DAW they are so in to gaming rigs..i was thinking of getting also a P35 based mobo like you hehe..mas mura na ngayon compared from the price 2years ago..thanks in advance KitC.. :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #385 on: May 10, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »
Oops! I migrated to a P43/P45 mobo since the MSI P35 I used blew a chip when I 'sparked' the usb port rendering my backplane usb ports dead and my vidcard without power. I read somewhere that the P45 chipsets seem to be better suited for DAWs but I really never had any trouble with either save for the busted chip.

Which Yamaha mixer are you using? If it has usb connection, then that is already your audio interface although I believe you are limited to stereo recording. This can be ok for demo recordings but you are limited to recording an entire band in one-shot passes; overdubbing will be a bear with those kinds of mixers (i.e, USB 1.1). Still, if your band is really good, the room you are recording in acceptably quiet and acoustically good, and you have the mix dialed in perfectly, it can be achieved.

Offline krkNdrx

« Reply #386 on: May 10, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
haha, so its the P43/45 for me too.. :-D  , the mixer is Yamaha with built in usb already, comes with cubease .. i have read it needs setting up ASIO driver..lahat naman siguro ng interface..I got this mixer to get both worlds for pansamantagal for PA use and recording demo's, while waiting for the ultra 8r, for 8 simultaneous multitrack recording, sayang wala presonus, i believe it can be daisy chained for instant 16 track, nasa $300 sa states firewire pa, where can we buy FP10 here in the phil?.. :-D

and..additional question po, can i still use my old but not abused 40gig hard disk IDE 5200rpm  yata speed nya, for the system only..then sa program and project I' ll buy the SATA hard disk 7200rpm, i don't have any idea what is the minimum HD size for program?  are the 160-250 gig for program and storage ok?  thanks KitC!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:55:09 PM by krkNdrx »

Offline juanberto

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #387 on: May 10, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »
hi question lang bakit yung UCA200 ko distorted ang ouput.  I mean pag nilakasan ko sabog na ang out meaning distorted nga. anybody po? pag hihinaan naman sobrang hina.
Mix well...

Offline juanberto

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #388 on: May 10, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
UCA200 question. bakit ang ouput ng sound ko e distorted pag nilakasan ko? driver error kaya ?
Mix well...

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #389 on: May 10, 2009, 08:43:12 PM »
Maybe because it doesn't do midi that well? I find it very good (and fast) for audio post, though.
Ahh. I do MIDI independently kasi e. Maybe that's his case...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #390 on: May 10, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »
UCA200 question. bakit ang ouput ng sound ko e distorted pag nilakasan ko? driver error kaya ?
Haven't used something like that ever... but, logically, check your levels...

Offline glbert

« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
Napaka informative na thread nito.

From my other post ito yung tanong ko po:
Gagamit po ako ng Laptop. MSI 340x with Core 2 duo, 2G RAM, with usb and firewire ports.

Gusto ko sana ng multi-track recording, like simultaneously recording 7 tracks, lalo sa drum tracks. Kung gagamit ako ng 7 mics for the drumkit, pano ko sya palalabasin ng 7 individual tracks sa pc for fine tuning and mixing?

After reading tama na kaya conclusion ko?
My setup would be:

Adobe Audition on Laptop=>M-Audio FAstrack Ultra(USB)=>Drum Mic Kit

or Alesis Multimix12 FireWire to replace M-Audio Fastrack Ultra

Alin ang mas ok? May kulang pa ba mga sir or good to go na ito? Or mas may ma-recommend pa kayo for a better setup?
Salamat
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:35:37 PM by glbert »
Hatankaru:
feature=plcp&context=C3624703UDOEgsToPDskKlm3Q3SJwNn0b34rMFjbp6

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #392 on: May 12, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »
You will definitely need an interface with 8 mic preamps in order to record 7 miked tracks simultaneously.

Adobe Audition on Laptop=>M-Audio FAstrack Ultra(USB)=>Drum Mic Kit

The Ultra only has 4 mic pres while the Ultra 8R has 8 mic pres. With the former, you will need an additional 3 mic preamps in order to accommodate 7 mics.

or Alesis Multimix12 FireWire to replace M-Audio Fastrack Ultra

I think the multimix only has 4 mic pres - you will have to add mic pres to complete your mic setup. This makes the Ultra 8R one of the better choices for your needs. Alternatives include Presonus Firepod/FP10, Focusrite Saffire Pro...

An alternative is to get an interface with 8 line inputs then add a mixer that has at least 8 mic preamps each with direct outs; e.g., some mixers like the Mackie 1642 VLZ3 has 8 direct outs for the first 8 preamp channels.

Offline glbert

« Reply #393 on: May 12, 2009, 06:07:24 PM »

I think the multimix only has 4 mic pres - you will have to add mic pres to complete your mic setup. This makes the Ultra 8R one of the better choices for your needs. Alternatives include Presonus Firepod/FP10, Focusrite Saffire Pro...

An alternative is to get an interface with 8 line inputs then add a mixer that has at least 8 mic preamps each with direct outs; e.g., some mixers like the Mackie 1642 VLZ3 has 8 direct outs for the first 8 preamp channels.

thanks for the reply sir, btw who are the local distributors of Presonus, Focusrite and Mackie interfaces/mixers here? Para maka-canvass ako ng prices. Medyo hindi ko po alam mga bilihan ng mga gamit e. JB, Audiophile and Behringer lang alam ko po. thanks.  :-D
Hatankaru:
feature=plcp&context=C3624703UDOEgsToPDskKlm3Q3SJwNn0b34rMFjbp6

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #394 on: May 13, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
Check the Recording Supplier directory in the stickies.

Forerunner Technologies/The Music Source carries Mackie products. Unfortunately, there are no authorized distros for Presonus and Focusrite locally.

Offline krkNdrx

« Reply #395 on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »
poor us! :cry: wala presonus, i like to try  it because tower of power uses presonus on their live gigs.. no other options here i dont know if may nakagamit  na ng toneport UX8 from our fellow philmusicians, it runs at around 25k..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2009, 08:48:43 AM »
Well, the choices you have locally are Alesis Multimix mixers (5th Ave/Avesco), Mackie mixers/Native Instruments Audio Kontrol (Forerunner/TMS), MAudio/PT M Powered (JB Music), and PT LE (DMI and Challenge Systems). I'm not sure if Yupangco carries the Yamaha usb mixers/interfaces. There are/were a few Presonus interfaces floating around here in the forum classifieds. Other alternatives include MOTU and RME (interestingly, I'm testing both interfaces, an 828 mk3 and Fireface800, for a colleague right now).

Offline krkNdrx

« Reply #397 on: May 15, 2009, 03:33:39 AM »
yupangco carries yamaha with usb interface unfortunately no stocks available.. :? haha.. :-D yeah I saw one or two presonus products from classifieds..very tempting but I prefer brand new and from authorized dealers if possible for warranty purposes..just my opinion :-Dbut if it is half the price or lower i might reconsider hehe.. :roll:

Offline pavloid

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #398 on: May 16, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »
Hi everyone! this is my first post on this thread. my bandmate and i are putting up a recording studio. we already tried recording a few tracks (guitar, bass, etc.) with our audio interface and was successful. the thing is, we can't use the mixer for main out and headphone out.

i've checked http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_hookup_a_mixer.htm for reference but it doesn't work for me because the mixer we have is behringer xenyx 2222 and it doesn't have alt 3/4 bus. i also tried connecting channel inserts from the mixer to audio interface line in but still no good. anyone familiar with this set-up?

here are picture of the mixer's rear:  http://www.behringer.com/EN/images/lightboxphotos/2222FX_P0558_Rear_XXL.jpg
and top front:  http://www.behringer.com/EN/images/lightboxphotos/2222FX_P0558_TopFront_XXL.jpg

btw, it's really great to have this thread here. i've been reading through it recently and i must say, it's really informative. kudos to the people who've been sharing ideas especially to mr. KitC who's been extremely helpful!!!

reycantong

« Reply #399 on: May 16, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »
poor us! :cry: wala presonus, i like to try  it because tower of power uses presonus on their live gigs.. no other options here i dont know if may nakagamit  na ng toneport UX8 from our fellow philmusicians, it runs at around 25k..

I'm currently using Line6 Toneport UX8 for my pc. Works great for me. The included POD Farm is very nice. Ok din preamps.