hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296730 times)

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #800 on: December 31, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
thanks, kitc. i just checked the guitar rig website though, noted on the multifx. any software recommendation for creating drumtracks and basslines? also, im planning to get i5+4GB memory. would that be enough for recording? thanks again.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #801 on: January 02, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
That i5 would be more than enough.

Since you are getting a windows lappy (most likely), almost any DAW out there will allow you to make drum tracks and basslines since they all come with their own instrument plugins. Sonar for ex. already comes with Guitar Rig, Session Drummer and several plugins that allow me to make realistic tracks; Cubase, Logic, Ableton all give you the same fuctionality. If you have a mac, it already comes with Garageband which is quite full featured for a 'basic' DAW.

The only caveat with these DAWs? You will have to come to terms with midi. If you are looking for a drum machine capability, some of the DAWs mentioned above come with midi and audio loops that allow you to piece together relatively complete (if rather uncomplicated nee boring) backing tracks. If you have something like a Roland GR-33 or similar, I believe it has a midi output capability which allows you to use the guitar as a midi input instrument.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline kelen

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #802 on: January 02, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
Did you highlight the inputs and outputs?

sir I tried both asio4all and m-audio asio and it's still not working. I looked around the net for answers, people said that turning off my soundcard maybe will do the trick? it will automatically shut itself off upon detecting a new driver right?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #803 on: January 03, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
you can try that but since the right drivers already appear in the asio routing, the problem may be somewhere else. can you tell me how you have things set up? if you were in alabang, i might be able to take a look at your rig right now.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline kelen

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #804 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
you can try that but since the right drivers already appear in the asio routing, the problem may be somewhere else. can you tell me how you have things set up? if you were in alabang, i might be able to take a look at your rig right now.

I can get to alabang but not today  :cry: on saturday, sir

guitar > cable > 2 pedals > m-audio fast track > cable > pc

latency set to 256 or 512

sa FL studio gumagana naman pero sa guitar rig lang talaga ang problema

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #805 on: January 04, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
I'm usually in qc on weekends.

Looks to me like you want to hear the plugin in realtime, right? You should be able to do that in standalone mode. Latency is a bit high at 256 samples; that i5 should be able to do better. I think you have a config problem with your pc as well.

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #806 on: January 04, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
noted, KitC. thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #807 on: January 05, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »
I'm curious how you got FL and Guitar Rig set up and it's bugging me that you can't get sound. Out of curiosity, how are you monitoring your outputs?

Offline sQuid

« Reply #808 on: January 14, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
Sir KitC,

Will this remove my iMac's hum when recording?

http://www.aapexonline.com/ground-loop-isolator-noise-suppressor-filter-killer-rca-to-rca-20-amp-23-long.html

Set-up is iMac>Behringer UCA>Behringer Mixer (via RCA)>Rode M3

Audio starts to hum when the USB soundcard is plugged in to the iMac USB port. Kapag di naka-connect sa mixer malinis yung tunog ng M3.

TIA!  :)
<::denjerus::>

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #809 on: January 15, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
Sir KitC,

Will this remove my iMac's hum when recording?

http://www.aapexonline.com/ground-loop-isolator-noise-suppressor-filter-killer-rca-to-rca-20-amp-23-long.html

Set-up is iMac>Behringer UCA>Behringer Mixer (via RCA)>Rode M3

Audio starts to hum when the USB soundcard is plugged in to the iMac USB port. Kapag di naka-connect sa mixer malinis yung tunog ng M3.

TIA!  :)

Do you hear the hum on recorded audio?  Yung UCA200 ko may hum sa monitoring but on recorded audio wala.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #810 on: January 16, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
I'm beginning to think that since the Imac is relatively a desktop laptop, it's possible that it's power supply is 'noisy' when it comes to certain usb audio devices. Like skin says, if the recorded audio has no hum but monitoring does, then I would look down the line from mixer to monitors. It's possible that an unbalanced cable is picking up hum from a nearby power supply. Check the RCA connections. (I'm curious why the chain is mixer to M3 via RCA... isn't the M3 a mic?).

Have you tried using a different usb port? I'd suggest using a powered hub, but even that may generate noise.

Offline cyberkamote

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #811 on: January 18, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »
hi po sa mga experts, planning to buy an audio interface to record at home, here are my needs:

must be able to handle mic (PL and XLR connectors) and at least 1 instrument inputs simultaneously and I need to take it in to my PC via USB

now so far the combos I have in mind are (entry level lang po):

• - Behringer Xenyx 302USB + Behringer UCA202
  • - Behringer Xenyx 502 + Behringer UCA202 (basically the difference from above is the USB power)
  • - Lexicon Alpha + Behringer UCA 202
  • - M Audio Fast Track (however this one doesn't have PL mic capabilities)

Obviously I dont have much knowledge on other products, specially the USB interface part (thus I only listed UCA 202 in most of my choices above).

Any comments/suggestions?

BTW: Im only a hobbyist and want to record acoustic guitar + mic to my PC.

Offline plitipiw40315

• Veteran Member
« Reply #812 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »
hi po sa mga experts, planning to buy an audio interface to record at home, here are my needs:

must be able to handle mic (PL and XLR connectors) and at least 1 instrument inputs simultaneously and I need to take it in to my PC via USB

• - Behringer Xenyx 502 + Behringer UCA202 (basically the difference from above is the USB power)

Obviously I dont have much knowledge on other products, specially the USB interface part (thus I only listed UCA 202 in most of my choices above).

i think ypu wont be needing UCA202 for your first choice..since it has already usb 2, which means you can directly plug it to your PC/Laptop..  :)
...drummers are good ROLL models...

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #813 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »

Get the first one and sell the your UCA202.  It is best to record acoustic guitar with a good mic.  If you want to use this method and sing simultaneously, get the Xenyx 802 so you have 2 xlr's.

If you can get it in the US, get this one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615405-REG/ART_USBDUALPREPS_USB_Dual_Pre.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:06:49 AM by skin »

Offline cyberkamote

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #814 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »
Get the first one and sell the your UCA202.  It is best to record acoustic guitar with a good mic.  If you want to use this method and sing simultaneously, get the Xenyx 802 so you have 2 xlr's.

If you can get it in the US, get this one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615405-REG/ART_USBDUALPREPS_USB_Dual_Pre.html

now that I've read the specs again sa website nila, oo nga noh, I dont need the UCA 202!!! Thanks bro for pointing that out!

Now, the problem is I have to find a Xenyx 302USB! hehe! (out of stock sa lahat ng InTune outlets)

Also, thanks for pointing out that the 302USB can only accept one input at a time (either PL or XLR) - I was wondering though, aside from iPods and other music players (CD player,etc) what are those RCA inputs for (the line in and the 2-track input) on the 302?

BTW, I don't have credit card so I cannot purchase online..the product you showed is quite similar to the 302 tho' thanks!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:15:40 PM by cyberkamote »

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #815 on: January 19, 2012, 03:40:44 AM »
hi again, it's been a while since I tried to record something, anyway I have this problem, every time I record, there's always latency, I've ignored this for the past two years since I thought that maybe it was just my slow computer(i just moved the delayed track and sync it with the rest of the track) but I just want to know if latency is really something we have to accept when using usb interfaces? I've set the buffer size to 512 and I can't set it any lower than that...oh btw, the delay i'm talking about is when I turn monitor ON on a track where I'm trying to record something. Hope my explanation didn't sound off.

I'm using a windows 7 laptop, I3, 2gigs ram(used to be 3gigs but time has taken its toll on this lil fellah)

My real question is this, will a computer with a very powerful processor be capable of eliminating latency when using usb interfaces? Or would a firewire interface be better?

I ask this since I've decided to stick with windows and I plan to build a music production pc from the ground up....i'm looking for ideas on what parts to buy.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #816 on: January 19, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
It depends on the device. Latency can be directly attributable to the efficiency of a device's drivers and some high end usb devices, such as RME's Babyface, can achieve latencies as low as 48 samples (in windows; with OSX it's as low as 14 samples) which calculates to 1.08 ms at 44.1 kHz.

Assuming the buffer size of your usb audio equates to samples, you are experiencing a latency in the area of 11 milliseconds, which is very much noticeable when monitoring live during overdubs. Drummers (at least, the good ones) will get thrown off their rhythm during these situations, as well as other musicians who have an ear for tight timing.

So is a new computer the answer? I'd say get a better interface, and not necessarily firewire. Make sure that interface is a proven one with rock solid drivers.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #817 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
hi again, it's been a while since I tried to record something, anyway I have this problem, every time I record, there's always latency, I've ignored this for the past two years since I thought that maybe it was just my slow computer(i just moved the delayed track and sync it with the rest of the track) but I just want to know if latency is really something we have to accept when using usb interfaces? I've set the buffer size to 512 and I can't set it any lower than that...oh btw, the delay i'm talking about is when I turn monitor ON on a track where I'm trying to record something. Hope my explanation didn't sound off.

I'm using a windows 7 laptop, I3, 2gigs ram(used to be 3gigs but time has taken its toll on this lil fellah)

My real question is this, will a computer with a very powerful processor be capable of eliminating latency when using usb interfaces? Or would a firewire interface be better?

I ask this since I've decided to stick with windows and I plan to build a music production pc from the ground up....i'm looking for ideas on what parts to buy.

Download drivers from this site.   www.asio4all.com

I assume you're still using the integrated soundcard of your computer.

Offline plitipiw40315

• Veteran Member
« Reply #818 on: January 19, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »
Also, thanks for pointing out that the 302USB can only accept one input at a time (either PL or XLR) - I was wondering though, aside from iPods and other music players (CD player,etc) what are those RCA inputs for (the line in and the 2-track input) on the 302?

you can use it for drum machines and synth's..  :)
...drummers are good ROLL models...

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #819 on: January 19, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
hi sir KitC

im planning to set-up my pc for recording eto po specs ng pc ko, anu po ba dapat unahin ko?  :-) sound card, anung software kaya maganda for beginners and anung interface mag-suggest nyo to hook up my guitar to my pc?!
 thanks .. i hope you can help out.. thanks again..  :)

intel i3-2100 3.1ghz
2 gig ram
64 bit windows 7 ultimate
p8h61-mlx asus board
320 hdd

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #820 on: January 19, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
hi sir KitC

im planning to set-up my pc for recording eto po specs ng pc ko, anu po ba dapat unahin ko?  :-) sound card, anung software kaya maganda for beginners and anung interface mag-suggest nyo to hook up my guitar to my pc?!
 thanks .. i hope you can help out.. thanks again..  :)

intel i3-2100 3.1ghz
2 gig ram
64 bit windows 7 ultimate
p8h61-mlx asus board
320 hdd

Get a separate audio interface.  For free software, check out Reaper and for guitar effects check Amplitube.

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #821 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
sir skin : what can you recommend na auido interface?!

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #822 on: January 19, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
sir skin : what can you recommend na auido interface?!

Budget?  How many tracks are you gonna record simultaneously?

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #823 on: January 19, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
Budget?  How many tracks are you gonna record simultaneously?

i cannot estimate eh, anu ba yung pinaka-basic 4 tracks? or 8 tracks sorry no idea talaga..

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #824 on: January 19, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
i cannot estimate eh, anu ba yung pinaka-basic 4 tracks? or 8 tracks sorry no idea talaga..

For starters people usually get the M-audio fast track.  Check out JB since they distribute M-Audio locally.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-fast-track-mkii-usb-audio-interface-with-pro-tools-se/h76481000000000