hulika

Author Topic: do you shoot using full manual?  (Read 9614 times)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: do you shoot using full manual?
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2010, 02:51:06 AM »
parang follow up sa "porke't may dslr ka e photographer ka na"

matatawag mo bang photographer ang isang tao kung hindi sya nagmamanual.

i know mababaw yung definition pero karamihan kasi talaga iniisip naka manual ka kapag may dslr e.

i dont shoot manually, never needed to, never had to. to others like me...do you think you are worthy to be called a photographer or just a poser (pun intended)

these were his concerns eh. but lets say you reply:

I dont want to sound like a seasoned pro...but YES.

Most of the time since i also have a manual focus lens on my lens line-up.

question: does that address his real concerns?

or was i going off-topic because i wanted to address them?

whats the practicality in saying:

But for everyday humdrum to exerting effort photography it works for me most of the time.

or posting photos you took with this certain setting with a certain camera, in addressing the concerns of the poor kid at the feeling of being inferior just because he doesnt use manual settings when taking photographs with this DSLR?

OT who?

Please, do not feel that im attacking you. If there is anyone OFF TOPIC, it aint me brother. Im leaving it for you to figure out who.

Now, let get back to the real topic.  8-)
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:41 AM »
Damn like a surgeon.

You forgot to read between the lines though pre.
All the time i was still talking about my first hand experience of full manual mode....look it up again...senyor.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »
wag naman sana maging GC at AG thread itong Photography forum.. we are here to enjoy talking about the cool world of photography, not to argue how it was achieved.

nag start talaga ako sa full manual pentax film slrs (since photojournalist ang uncle ko at nakikikalikot at sa gear nya nun).. sinubukan din ako turuan ng uncle ko how to repack a film kaso interesado.. sayang heheh

kaya when I had my first SLR (a Canon EOS 1000fn) eh mejo madami ng automatic features yun kaya inenjoy ko rin gamitin.. almost all the time eh naka green mode ako.

but then napansin ko kasi na kapag naka auto mode ako eh pare-pareho ang exposure effect nung mga photos ko.. unlike kung tinitingnan ko yung mga kuha ng uncle ko eh anggaganda ng effects.. minsan oversaturated.. mejo overexposed to achieve those strong outlines.. tinanong ko sya paano na nagagawa yun.

then sinabi nya kuntrolin ko manually yung settings ng camera ko.. like kapag I want to achieve a natural vignette or whatever.

that's when I fell inlove using manual settings.. mejo nagkakaron kasi ng signature ang mga kuha ko.. but syempre kung mabilisan yung kailangan kon kunan eh I wont hesitate using the green dial.. no that big of a deal for me.

pero syempre manual focus pa rin yung lente ko eh so manual pa rin.. in a way heheh.

and I dont look down on green dial users.. di ko sila kino-consider as amateurs or something.

the only one I still consider an amateur is ME
imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline neicon27

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »
Nung bago yung DSLR ko,  I'd shoot first manual then preset.  Para may comparison ako ng shots.. kung mas maganda yung preset.. adjust ako sa manual until almost the same sila.  Eventually that's how i felt comfortable using manual settings....

But I still use the presets up to this day  :-D

sabi nga nila..  "To break the rules, you have to learn it first.  That way you know you're breaking it right" :D
"Learn the rules before you break them.  That way you'd know if your breaking them right."

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
sabi nga nila..  "To break the rules, you have to learn it first.  That way you know you're breaking it right" :D

Eto din yung 1st rule na tinuro samin sa workshop. :-D

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
+1M

at kailangan pa bang matawag kang photographer? whats important is you capture the moment, how you had it in your mind, how you wanted it to come out as. it pays to learn how to maneuver around your settings but only to allow you to tweak them in accordance to the result you want.

ang tanong eh bakit mo papahirapan ung sarili mo kung pwede ka namang mag arrive at the same result with less hassle. think: efficiency. hindi naman sa lahat ng oras controlled ung environment mo: lights and movement ng subject mo.

pag may nakikita ba tayong picture na kahanga-hanga, dont we oftentimes just admire it and say 'ang ganda' rather than ask ourselves whether that photo was taken in Manual/Auto settings?

and that phrase 'hindi porke may DSLR ka, photographer ka na', works 2 ways.

first to those who, for show, whether or not they know how to take photos or have the talent for it, brandish their DSLRs around, wanting to be referred to as a photographer.

second, to those sour-graping folks who, out of their envious crab-mentality driven mind, likes to ridicule anyone who has a DSLR, whether they have the talent or not, referring to them as posers and brats who just have enough money to buy an expensive piece of gadget.

lets try not be either. or worse, both.  :wink:

good.
so, do you shoot full manual?
:-D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:43:12 PM by kawal »
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
i'd rather be technical on this thread than be subjective and bathe myself too much to the idea of the indian-pana analogy.

kapag sinabing "full manual" i'd define it as:

1. no AF/old-school focusing - na hindi suitable sa mga DSLR ngayon dahil wala naman split-screen ang mga shutter nila, di tulad ng mga 35mm cameras nung unang panahon. imagine how car racing photographers adjust their focus in less than 2 secs, mano-mano.
2. manual exposure metering - i'd bet lahat ng DSLR ay may auto-metering functions; though pwede mo pa rin i-adjust ang exposure manually, na hindi ko alam kung bakit mo gagawin. well, unless gusto mo ng artsy-fartsy underexposed photos; o di kaya hi-key.
3. manual shutter speed
4. manual aperture

as for me, i DO NOT shoot full manual. let's enjoy the technology na pinagpaguran ng ilang dekadang pagsasaliksik ng mga henyo ng potograpiya.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:44:53 PM by kawal »

Offline paranoid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 06:59:31 PM »
i'd rather be technical on this thread than be subjective and bathe myself too
as for me, i DO NOT shoot full manual. let's enjoy the technology na pinagpaguran ng ilang dekadang pagsasaliksik ng mga henyo ng potograpiya.

+1 to this.

we can just use the manual function if we really want a different outcome.

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 12:10:12 AM »
kung medyo uniform/constant yung light ng venue (or kung may nakakabit sa cam kong flash) mag mamanual ako.

minsan kung walking around/travel with friends/family, nasa P nalang kasi tinatamad.

minsan pag sa madilim na events at walang flash baka mag Aperture priority ako.

personally, i only care about results. basta maganda kalabasan ng shot ok na ko.

insisting on using manual all the time simply because its not "automatic" is just meaningless measurebating.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 03:28:48 AM »
Reason why i shoot in M mode is i wanna teach myself, wanna train myself HOW to calculate and react quickly to most situations im in.

Doing it old school first then buy a D3S then shoot in AUTO....joke :-D
I could definitely trust the meter on the D3S coz its worth US$5K  :-D

Heck...kahit na manual ako at sundin ko yung meter reading ng cam medyo underexposed pa para sa akin ang resulta thus overexposing
intentionally a little bit to suit my taste.

You can say pre-dial the EV COMP to suit my taste but id rather keep things on factory settings and just adjust manually.
Maybe that is why i question the meter sometimes THUS making all decision first hand rather than relying on the on-board chip.

I have to question the meter and the metering mode...shooting a sunset landscape with a high dynamic range between the sky and the sea the meter tells you one thing but you want to achieve something else like for example do a silhouette of a passing cruiseship towards a sinking sun.

Shooting MANUAL is not a right of passage to some club where you think you are a member of some elite IKNOWMORETHANYOU mentality.
It should not have been put into a different light other than being what it is.

It should be basic common practice amongst newbies into photography especially to a fanboy like me 8-)

O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »
I seldom use manual mode or any manual na pwede gawin sa camera. Nakakatamad eh!

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
i'd rather be technical on this thread than be subjective and bathe myself too much to the idea of the indian-pana analogy.

kapag sinabing "full manual" i'd define it as:

1. no AF/old-school focusing - na hindi suitable sa mga DSLR ngayon dahil wala naman split-screen ang mga shutter nila, di tulad ng mga 35mm cameras nung unang panahon. imagine how car racing photographers adjust their focus in less than 2 secs, mano-mano.
2. manual exposure metering - i'd bet lahat ng DSLR ay may auto-metering functions; though pwede mo pa rin i-adjust ang exposure manually, na hindi ko alam kung bakit mo gagawin. well, unless gusto mo ng artsy-fartsy underexposed photos; o di kaya hi-key.
3. manual shutter speed
4. manual aperture

yes ganyan nga - think of 19kopong kopong film cams na manual lahat - walang naka auto sa kahit anong feature nung cam. gayahin mo yung setting nung old film cameras. pati yung iso setting fixed sa isang value for at least 30 shots emulating a film roll where you are stuck with it until you use all the frames.

nakakapagmanual na ko pero sa still life lang din. sayang yung moment kapag event e, kasi madalas overexposed yung shot to the point na washed out na yung pic ko dahil mali ang timpla. nakakapagpractice na rin ng manual focusing pero palagi ko naiisip na "teka, ang mahal mahal nitong lens na to at kaya ko nga binili kasi mabilis ang AF tapos gagamitin ko na manual - may topak ata ako"

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »
I seldom use manual mode or any manual na pwede gawin sa camera. Nakakatamad eh!
so ano na yung bago mong body??? mali ba talaga yung 5D mkII na hula ko???

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »
"teka, ang mahal mahal nitong lens na to at kaya ko nga binili kasi mabilis ang AF tapos gagamitin ko na manual - may topak ata ako"
exactly! think of a D3's 51 AF points tapos hindi mo naman gagamitin and AF. think of pallas' 70-200mm pushed to it's 200mm focal end tapos hindi mo naman gagamitin yung VR. sayang diba? it surely does not make you a pro. it makes you dumb instead.  :-D

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »
^ ahh about VR yan talaga ang labs na labs kong feature ng lens! heheh

I have this 28-200mm Sigma traded sa isang 18-200mm Sigma with defective AF pero with working OS (optical stabilization) since di ko naman kailangan ng AF so pinakawalan ko yung lens ko na may AF (pero walang OS) sa isang lens na may sirang AF (pero may OS).

Now im enjoying it bigtime.. at meron din akong full manual AI-S na 50mm prime.. no metering.. no AF.. at sa "M" dial mo lang sya magagamit, not even the flash will work when im using this lens.

so overall manual AF ang mga lens ko, pero dadating din ang time na kakailanganin ko ang AF so my next lens purchase will be a AF 35mm f/1.4.
imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
There are times I need to do manual settings (though not the focusing bit, labo kasi mata ko).. and these are:
1. doing studio photos
2. doing stitched landscapes
There will be problems once you do this in auto mode, photos would not be consistent.

For all other uses, I use aperture-priority .
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline paranoid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
Aperture priority for DoF adjustments.

Offline Donnel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »
Manual but with autofocus
Program pag nanood ng gig wala pa kasi magandang lens pang low light eh

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
i shoot full manual. no AF kasi tinanggal ko yung power terminal nung lens.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2010, 07:11:19 PM »
^bat mo tinanggal? ayaw mo ng AF?

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »
I only use full manual when I use the 50mm 1.8. Madaling timplahin ang shutter speed pag low light. Pero pag kit lens and tele, P lagi. Adjust nalang ng ISO pag kailangan.

Example:

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »
^bat mo tinanggal? ayaw mo ng AF?
sira ang motor... kaysa yung cam ko ang masira...

ayoko din ng autofocus...ewan. di lang ako sanay. nasanay ako sa de-film eh.

tsaka iba kasi yung pihit ng EF Lenses compared to EFS..

Isa ako sa mga old-skul na binanggit sa itaas....
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

Offline GNOB29

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2010, 10:37:04 AM »
ako nung nag umpisa ako last month mga 2 weeks ko ginagamit ung settings na AV/TV sa 450d ko para lang mapag aralan ko.

ngayon naka full manual na ako mas na appreciate ko ung ako mag adjust sa kuha at kung ano ang i priority ko sa mga shots ko plus the exposure etc.
i already dispose here: Fender Strat 50th Anniversary Made in U.S, Fender Strat MIJ Reverse Headstock, Epiphone Firebird, Godin Acoustic, Octave OC2, XBOX 360.

My Gear: Hamer Vector, Fender Strat 57ri, Warlock and my Pedalboard...

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
ako nung nag umpisa ako last month mga 2 weeks ko ginagamit ung settings na AV/TV sa 450d ko para lang mapag aralan ko.

ngayon naka full manual na ako mas na appreciate ko ung ako mag adjust sa kuha at kung ano ang i priority ko sa mga shots ko plus the exposure etc.
that's why canon called it the CREATIVE ZONE... enjoy...

here is me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allenvcpascua/

canon5D and 1kD. Sigma Lenses.