hulika

Author Topic: Proper Jazz Guitar Instructor  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
Proper Jazz Guitar Instructor
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »
After beating around the typical genres of Rock and Blues and focusing 80% of my playing on licks and neglecting all accompaniment and rhythm guitar skills, Im finally ready to take the plunge and invest in some decent Jazz Guitar Lessons with a focus on accompaniment, standard songs, and chord based concepts.

Any of you guys know a decent instructor that can teach me Jazz Fundamentals? By Fundamentals, I mean FUNDAMENTALS! No show-offy-speed-legato-hybrid-picking-11 million bpm-shred-fusion-repetitive-guitar-lick-that-relies-on-muscle-memory-super-sweep picking-riff lessons. Ive finally grown weary of devoting time to licks (which account for 10% of music in a typical band setting) and want to focus on understanding what goes on under the hood of harmonies and song structures.

I think I owe it to the guitar to be really good at playing music (not repeating practiced pyrotechnics), sukli sa daming beses na pinasaya ako ng gitara.

Im a typical Average to advanced Rock guitarist who would want to dip his toes in Jazz and get a hold of some decent fundamentals on accompaniment, and what It really means to improvise (Tired of hashing out memorized scales on I IV V's)

If you are such an instructor or would know anyone who can do this kindly PM me your fee, details and number.

Again I'd prefer someone who can teach me with a formal background on music instruction, I'm not looking for a degree holder, but I'm avoiding shredder's who claim to be Jazz Instructors and try to teach me Fusion-y Allan Holdsworth licks.

I've got no gripe with shredders or guitarists who think like athletes but Its just not what Im looking for.

Thanks! (Mods kindly move na lang kung maling forum 'to)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:14:43 AM by Stratzkiboy »

Offline Odious

• Netizen Level
Re: Proper Jazz Guitar Instructor
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »
I currently finding an idea on how to play Allan holdsworth songs or style in my flute. :3 Any tips on what modes he might be using? I really really would love to learn how to do that kind of stuff.

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:42:25 AM by Stratzkiboy »

Offline musicismymedicine

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:31:05 PM »
where'd you find ur jazz instructor? i totally get what u mean by being sick of doing things repetitively ..it seems that at one point..all the licks/scales you've memorized doesnt do justice to a piece of muisc ur playing!it takes the creativity out of the equation..i find that scales/modes have their limitations.. i also want to know the "math/logic" behind jazz song structure..its so nice to listen to miles davis, charles mingus,jobim..but being able to play along and improvise is just plain frustrating...

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
pm sent :)

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
try check out Aya Yuson sir.
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC