hulika

Author Topic: DW 9000 pedal (IC and Elims too)  (Read 1715 times)

Offline brokensticks

DW 9000 pedal (IC and Elims too)
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »
hi Everyone,

recently i have been having a hard time tweaking my DW9000 single ped.
i remember the first time i used it, it was whoa! perfect! however, after not having been using it for quite a while(meaning i haven't been bringing it to rehearsals and togs and using the studio's not-so-well-oiled pedals) i seems that it was a bit 'powerful' or reactive to my footwork. anyhow, i also own a pair of IC powerglide double pedals and sometimes i just also couldn't get my sweet spot.

i know that IC, Elims and the DW900 has tons of adjustment possibilities (beater angle, footboard height, beater weight, spring tensions among many).
i guess what i'm trying to drive is, how does all of these:

1. footboard angle/height,
2. beater angle,
3. beater weight,
4. spring tension,
5. cam config (concentric, offset)

affect the dynamics of the pedal's reaction to your footwork/movement (i.e. how does beater angle affect the rebound of the pedal? or how does the spring tension affect your foot/feet stroke?)

or better yet, maybe you could share what configuration/setup do you have in adjusting your pedals (i.e. how tight are your springs, how high your footboard from the pedal plate etc)? and how does it affect your playing?

by the way, my DW 9000 is outfitted right now with an IC rubber beater, the DW101 beater is quite heavy for me.

Offline jckazs

Re: DW 9000 pedal (IC and Elims too)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:39:11 AM »
you probably just got accustomed to using the pedals in rehearsal studios / gigs, nagadapt yung ankle and foot muscles mo. Most likely, yung mga setting ng pedals na nagagamit mo mabigat. plus, dw9000 pedal mo. iba talaga yung feel nyan compared to the pedals we earthlings use :-)  suggestion - tweak mo yung pedal mo to your liking at dalin mo everytime me gig or practice (instead of adjusting your DW9000 in such a way that it feels as if you're playing a normal pedal). parang sticks din yan.

the beater angle dictates the feel of the pedal. pag malaki yung angle, mas mabigat yung feel pero mas malakas yung impact.
spring tension- yung feel and rebound
footboard height - position ng foot

Offline brokensticks

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
you probably just got accustomed to using the pedals in rehearsal studios / gigs, nagadapt yung ankle and foot muscles mo. Most likely, yung mga setting ng pedals na nagagamit mo mabigat. plus, dw9000 pedal mo. iba talaga yung feel nyan compared to the pedals we earthlings use :-)  suggestion - tweak mo yung pedal mo to your liking at dalin mo everytime me gig or practice (instead of adjusting your DW9000 in such a way that it feels as if you're playing a normal pedal). parang sticks din yan.

the beater angle dictates the feel of the pedal. pag malaki yung angle, mas mabigat yung feel pero mas malakas yung impact.
spring tension- yung feel and rebound
footboard height - position ng foot

thanks bro!

anyhow, the other Elims, Cobras owners/patronizers.. hoping to hear from you guys too. :)

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:06:36 AM »
yung settings na nakuha ko sa kaka-tweak:
1) beater angle is standard 45 degrees
2) footboard height, medyo hindi ako sure kung pano i-memeasure to e, basta "fairly high". maybe a bit higher than stock? i'm not sure.
3) springs ko 5 clicks away ata from the tightest position.

ganito setup ng pedal ko para sa maximum response at tamang rebound.

pinaka important settings para sakin yung sa spring. ilang beses ko ring tinest nang tinest to. kahit 1 click lang, malaking difference narin. 2nd most important would be the footboard height. i like mine fairly high since i like the rebound it gives me. balik agad sa paa pag mabilis na double stroke.

tinanggal ko rin pala yung toe stopper for doing heel-toe for double strokes, even though i only use heel-toe for my right foot.

anyway mga ginamit ko pang test ng settings:
1) normal single strokes RLRL
2) heel-toe double stroke on my right foot (pwede ring left foot kung kaya mo)
3) swivel technique na single stroke (or kung saan ka pinakamabilis na technique)
4) RRL (pwede mo rin dagdagan ng RLL etc it's your choice)

one more thing (kahit OT), you could try adjusting the connecting rod's length. yung hindi parallel yung legs mo sa isa't isa. try setting it at your natural sitting position. i find that this gives me perfect balance, which in turn gives me optimal speed. throne height din, very important. :) good luck sir.
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline brokensticks

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
thanks! :-D

Offline brokensticks

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:16:35 PM »
after much tweaking ang turning, and watching a dave weckl video (i think back to basics) from youtube, i think i have found the settings of my pedal right for me. man! just a third of a turn in the spring tension could make a huge difference. i also raised the footboard angle from the usual. as for the beater angle, it is around 45 degrees (maybe 40). the beater, an IC rubber beater. however, when i went back to the much heavier DW 101 beater, i felt it was much better (at least for me). but for now, im sticking with the IC rubber beater (since it is quite new) for now with the beater weight right up the beater head to increase weight. anyhow, maybe other drummers can share their settings too.