hulika

Author Topic: Naaalala nyo paba noong MURA pa mag G.A.S????????  (Read 5132 times)

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Naaalala nyo paba noong MURA pa mag G.A.S????????
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 10:13:36 AM »
Kids, ha?

My 14" New Beats cost PhP650 and 20" Crash-Ride was 600 back in 1975. My 22" Medium Ride was 700 pesos in 1976. Finally, my 16" Thin Crash was 680 pesos in 1978. All were bought in Salongas Music in Rustan's Superstore Cubao. You must realize though that in 1976, 600 pesos was a LOT of money. My first two cymbals were bought with a years pay (100 a month) from a part time job. There were also no such thing as "sales". A cymbal in Salongas was the same price whether it just arrived, or if it had been languishing in the warehouse for years.

Back in the 70's there were few choices. You could buy cheap, sheet metal cymbals in Raon. But they were crap, and the edges would bend after only one hit. The only serious cymbal that was readily available in Manila were A. Zildjians. Paistes were only available in HK, and they cost double the price of A's. Sabian didn't even exist yet. All my Zildjians were A's because Zildijian USA (which was where practically all Manila stores got their Z's) did not make K's until 1981.

So stop complaining kids. Cymbal prices have not really risen beyond inflation, there is a much wider variety of models nowadays, and cut-price sales offer bargains that we in the 70's could only dream of.

tito tito!
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 12:58:44 AM »
Kids, ha?

My 14" New Beats cost PhP650 and 20" Crash-Ride was 600 back in 1975. My 22" Medium Ride was 700 pesos in 1976. Finally, my 16" Thin Crash was 680 pesos in 1978. All were bought in Salongas Music in Rustan's Superstore Cubao. You must realize though that in 1976, 600 pesos was a LOT of money. My first two cymbals were bought with a years pay (100 a month) from a part time job. There were also no such thing as "sales". A cymbal in Salongas was the same price whether it just arrived, or if it had been languishing in the warehouse for years.

Back in the 70's there were few choices. You could buy cheap, sheet metal cymbals in Raon. But they were crap, and the edges would bend after only one hit. The only serious cymbal that was readily available in Manila were A. Zildjians. Paistes were only available in HK, and they cost double the price of A's. Sabian didn't even exist yet. All my Zildjians were A's because Zildijian USA (which was where practically all Manila stores got their Z's) did not make K's until 1981.

So stop complaining kids. Cymbal prices have not really risen beyond inflation, there is a much wider variety of models nowadays, and cut-price sales offer bargains that we in the 70's could only dream of.

Sir tanong lang po! Anu ba entry level dati ng Zildjian nung time na yan? Excisting ba sila?

Grabe i can only imagine pano sila na uupdate ng gears back 1970's!
Nabasa ko sa 25th Anniv issue ng Modern Drummer nung 60's 70's daw ang inaabangan daw nila is the "Yearly" Drum catalogue! Grabe SOLB na daw sila sa ganun! Tapos ala pang Phil Music so mahirap mag mobilize ng mga Musikero!

Wow i'm so grateful now!

Salamat po sir Makinao sa reminiscing! Hehehe :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:03:30 AM by sandythedrummer »
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 02:14:15 AM »
Kids, ha?

WOW!  :-o Great story!  :lol:
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline makinao

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 02:24:12 AM »
Sir tanong lang po! Anu ba entry level dati ng Zildjian nung time na yan? Excisting ba sila?

There was no such thing as "entry level" models. They had the same types (as in heavy, medium and thin crashes; heavy, medium and light rides, etc) and sizes as now. There were some novelty models, like the flat top rides. But Zildjians were just Zildjians.

The most unusual Zildjian I saw in the 70's was a 30" (!) ride that belonged to Ed Sulit. Ndugu Leon Chancler played it in CCP when he came with Hubert Laws. I'm not sure if it was a US or Turkish Zildjian, but it was a monster.

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
There was no such thing as "entry level" models. They had the same types (as in heavy, medium and thin crashes; heavy, medium and light rides, etc) and sizes as now. There were some novelty models, like the flat top rides. But Zildjians were just Zildjians.

The most unusual Zildjian I saw in the 70's was a 30" (!) ride that belonged to Ed Sulit. Ndugu Leon Chancler played it in CCP when he came with Hubert Laws. I'm not sure if it was a US or Turkish Zildjian, but it was a monster.

Tell us more about it Sir!!!
Hahaha!!!
How much is the Drumstick then?
Is there a Local drum manufacturer then?
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline powercharge

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:08 PM »
Akala ko ako na matanda dito.

@makinao - I think you can share a lot for "us" younger drummers. Yup 600 is a lot of money in the 70's. You're lucky because you saw the evolution of drum gears. May Salonga na pala nun. May JB na ba nung 70's?

Tawagin niyo na akong Kuya...wag lang Tito  :lol:

Offline road dogg

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 10:22:32 PM »
ako panahon ko di pa nga lumalabas scimitar e, pero when it did grabe na ambisyon ko sa kanya - anyone remember also the Sto. Nino drum heads?

hehe those were the days
BLACK END rulz!

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »
nauna ang Amir bago yung Scimitar diba? anung year yun?
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline road dogg

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »
oo nga pala, naalala ko nga din yun, aha, good question... lets just say una ko sila nakita nung 1990... :-D
BLACK END rulz!

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »
I started playing drums in 1983 . My first cymbals were all A.Zildjian namely 10" splash i bought for P800, 16" Thin Crash P1,600, 14" New Beat P2,500 & 22" Meduim Ride P2,200. It was basically around 100 pesos per inch. I got them sa Salonga Cubao (Rustan's) & JB New Frontier(Cubao also).Dollar exchange rate then was $1=P7 yata im not exactly sure.  :-D
Arguing over the Internet is like joining the "SPECIAL OLYMPICS"...Becoz "Even If You Win You're Still A RETARD.!!!"