hulika

Author Topic: FOR JAZZ Guitar players: Guitar setup.  (Read 14082 times)

Offline swinger

• Forum Fanatic
Re: FOR JAZZ Guitar players: Guitar setup.
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 03:47:19 AM »
maki-sabat nga mga senyor!

im using 10's, d addario EXL110 for my strat and tele and 11's d addario EXL120 for my semi-hollow.

I tried using 12's but its too stiff for me, but its nice for players who dont bend that much.

and it gives you a warmer and fatter tone.

tama ba mga senyor? :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »
maki-sabat nga mga senyor!

im using 10's, d addario EXL110 for my strat and tele and 11's d addario EXL120 for my semi-hollow.

I tried using 12's but its too stiff for me, but its nice for players who dont bend that much.

and it gives you a warmer and fatter tone.

tama ba mga senyor? :-D
are those roundwounds?

I'm planning to hit the music store to buy me a .10s Thomastik Infeld flatwound.... just curious.
....saw this in a site...... might help you guys...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thomastik-Infeld-BB112-Round-Jazz-BeBop-Guitar-Strings_W0QQitemZ300113926128QQihZ020QQcategoryZ41433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 08:36:05 PM »
......just wondering what strings you jazz guitar players are using?

I use 9s.

It really doesnt matter what guage, imho. I've tried 10s, and messed with cable wire 12s, which i found to be a pain in the ass to use. played with flatwounds too, and i';m glad to know that ron afiff dumped his flatwounds coz roundwounds have more ooph factor.

because of the deviant nature of jazz, any tool is valid. i dig my jazz with a strat, and i've seen jazhombie work his magic with the same  :wink:

heard sushi too.. he's right, any axe will do.. depende n lng sa mood mo kung gusto mo tele, strat,jazzbox,.. as long na nsa puso mo yung TOGS, lalabas din kahit anong guitar ang kapitan mo..

pero try ko nga yung sabi ni tyrone(fusion enigma).. musto bro.. nice clips! :-D

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 10:13:49 PM »
......just wondering what strings you jazz guitar players are using?

I use 9s.

It really doesnt matter what guage, imho. I've tried 10s, and messed with cable wire 12s, which i found to be a pain in the ass to use. played with flatwounds too, and i';m glad to know that ron afiff dumped his flatwounds coz roundwounds have more ooph factor.

because of the deviant nature of jazz, any tool is valid. i dig my jazz with a strat, and i've seen jazhombie work his magic with the same  :wink:

heard sushi too.. he's right, any axe will do.. depende n lng sa mood mo kung gusto mo tele, strat,jazzbox,.. as long na nsa puso mo yung TOGS, lalabas din kahit anong guitar ang kapitan mo..

pero try ko nga yung sabi ni tyrone(fusion enigma).. musto bro.. nice clips! :-D

uy thanks ng marami jazholdsworth este jazhombie. nice clips din. your legato technique is amazing. :-D

i use 0.014s. i love the tone pero sakit sa kamay.

14? wow how much b set ngyn try ko nga rin.. sa tele!hehe :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
eto squatter tip for Legato technique....

kuha ka ng 1950s na typewriter tapos itype mo word for word ang bible....old and new testament....after that yung fingers mo...super strong for legato.

you can also try opening a coconut husk by your bare hands....its in the fingers

hahahaha :lol:    ...just got bored.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 07:02:17 AM »

kuha ka ng 1950s na typewriter tapos itype mo word for word ang bible....old and new testament....after that yung fingers mo...super strong for legato.

you can also try opening a coconut husk by your bare hands....its in the fingers

:-D masubukan nga.. mas ok kung re-write cguro yung medical surgical book... hehe :-D

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »

:-D masubukan nga.. mas ok kung re-write cguro yung medical surgical book... hehe :-D

boss, try mo naka blind fold..heheheh..  :roll:
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
14? wow how much b set ngyn try ko nga rin.. sa tele!hehe :-D

actually hybrid yung gamit ko. ernie ball 0.014 and 0.020, fender 0.024 (wound),, and d'addaria 0.032, 0042 and 0.052. sorry cant remember how much they cost.

super fat ng tunog. here's a demo. http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5229655&q=hi  :-)

if you don't mind....can you tell us your setup? what guitar? what pickup position ....and all that good stuff...thank you po.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 11:13:47 PM »
sure phil. ibanez artcore afs75td lang po guitar ko. stock pickups. crystal scalarized by bamf (mejo nahihirapan ako i-control dynamics maybe its because of the scalirizer). i only use the neck pickup. high action (dont know the measurements though). strings as mentioned. dunlop jazz pick III. tone knob 0. volume knob around 7. nilagyan ko na lang reverb after recording.
ganda ng tunog.. perfect fat tone..  bili n nga ko tom..heheh :-D

Offline gisan925

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 01:27:27 AM »
sure phil. ibanez artcore afs75td lang po guitar ko. stock pickups. crystal scalarized by bamf (mejo nahihirapan ako i-control dynamics maybe its because of the scalirizer). i only use the neck pickup. high action (dont know the measurements though). strings as mentioned. dunlop jazz pick III. tone knob 0. volume knob around 7. nilagyan ko na lang reverb after recording.

it's in the tone control knob=0! I guess that is where the jazz tone starts in any guitar! ;-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 02:55:18 AM »

it's in the tone control knob=0! I guess that is where the jazz tone starts in any guitar! ;-D
....that would be ONE of the tones... yes. 

For my taste, I like a little bit of high end...the lows are cool. I'll look for a soundclip so you guys can understand what I'm saying. BTW jazhombie, I got the Gibson Flatwires....I can't wait for my luthier...I'll install it tomorrow.....it's .11s with .50s low E. I hope it has more top end. Any tips on the truss rod adjustments?

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 05:24:04 AM »

....that would be ONE of the tones... yes. 

For my taste, I like a little bit of high end...the lows are cool. I'll look for a soundclip so you guys can understand what I'm saying. BTW jazhombie, I got the Gibson Flatwires....I can't wait for my luthier...I'll install it tomorrow.....it's .11s with .50s low E. I hope it has more top end. Any tips on the truss rod adjustments?
wow, mapapakinggan ko n rin,.. im not an expert sa hollows, i'll jasu wait for ur soundclip!Goodluck! :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 08:17:57 AM »
installed the Gibson Fretwires last night....loved it... will make clips tonight....don't expect antyhing  spectacular.... I will try to capture the tone that I'm getting live.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »
here's a clip ....just threw a couple of chords and soloed over it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=462734&songID=5407845

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »

you got groove bro.  :-)
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2007, 07:47:27 PM »

thank your sir. I try.  :-D
wow, nice warm tones.. love it.. intayin ko pa order ko ng flats..
carlton talga yung feel.. ! :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »

thank your sir. I try.  :-D
wow, nice warm tones.. love it.. intayin ko pa order ko ng flats..
carlton talga yung feel.. ! :-D
thank you jazhombie..... I think the classic '57 pickups helped a lot too.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2007, 10:22:20 PM »
Hey phil!

Nice clip!

Definitely puts you in the smooth jazz ballpark.  :-)

Is this the 335? It sounds fat, but the brightness is still there. Not totally mushed-out.

Mind sharing your setup? Amp, guitar settings, etc.

So, whats your verdict on the flats? How do you find its playability? Can you still bend on them?

"No static at all ..."

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 09:01:04 AM »
kaya naman i-bend, prang pag bend lng sa nylon.db? :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »
Hey phil!

Nice clip!

Definitely puts you in the smooth jazz ballpark.  :-)

Is this the 335? It sounds fat, but the brightness is still there. Not totally mushed-out.

Mind sharing your setup? Amp, guitar settings, etc.

So, whats your verdict on the flats? How do you find its playability? Can you still bend on them?

thanks Deacon Blues...... yes it's the 335 ..it comes stock with classci 57s

The amp is a Carvin Nomad 1 x 12 (Celestion Vintage 30s) it's a tube amp with El84 tubes in it.
(EQ is at neutral ..... all at 5 or 12 o clock ...just added a bit of reverb 2.5)
With a nice tube Fender...it's gonna sound sooooo gooooood....melts in your mouth. :lol:

Pick : Jazz Dunlop III (reds).....if this matters  :lol:

Guitar setting: Lead tone ( neck pickup) ..... Rhythm tone( middle postion)

Neck volume: 7.5
Neck tone: 5
Bridge volume: 7.5
Neck Tone:  5.5

I installed the Gibby Flatwires .11s and adjusted the truss rod and intonation. I was expecting it to be really hard to bend.....it's not.  The Gibson Flatwires are easy to play. Of course it's a tad stiffer than those ordinary .10s ( I use Fender Bullets .10s in my strat)....you can easily bend it.

With overdrive....I tried it just for kicks....I can still get that smooth warm overdrive tone in the bridge. (similar when I had regular .10s installed).

The flatwires make the tone darker but doesn't sacrifice the highs. It still retains the brightness and doesn't get all muddied up)...I like the strings because when the time comes you need that high tone...it's there.

I'll try those Thomastik-Infelds soon ......I'm curious about the .10 flats for jazz they have ... and the .10s they have for blues.

....if you are a bit "iffy" about going to flats...try .11s .... you can still bend them and it's easy to play.

hindi ata bagay string bending pag pure unadulterated jazz tugtugan. smooth jazz, fusion, blues pwede.  :-D
true .... traditional jazz... walang bends....from what I heard so far.  :-D

kaya naman i-bend, prang pag bend lng sa nylon.db? :-D
yung string G .......I bend using 3 fingers..... well I usually bend with 3 fingers when I want to bend one whole step.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:40:41 AM by Phil »

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 10:22:13 PM »
I see.

Sounds like you've got a great setup right there.

You're lucky you've found the right brand and gauge of flats that seem perfect for your guitar - with very minimal adjusting to accommodate the new tension.

I'm sure the Thomastiks will play even better. Not too sure, but I think Benson uses these..

The Jazz IIIs sound ok, but wait 'til you try the thicker picks (i.e. 2mm or more) on them strings ..

"No static at all ..."

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »
 now i cn say.. that tone is in the wallet!!! :-Dhehehe :-D

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2007, 11:09:25 PM »
Noob question here.  In the electric guitar world, when you say "flats" does that refer to strings beyond a certain guage or the way the string is made?  I dip my feet in the guitar and bass pools without learning to swim well in either one of them, and in bass circles "flats" refer to flatwound strings which give a really deep, dark, ngo-ngo tone.

On my 335 clone I do two things to get that sound:  1) use Gibson Vintage Re-issue 10-46 sets or similar sets from other makes and set the tone knobs to zero, and 2) play through a bass rig (Ampeg SVT-350 with Traynor/Yorkville cab) with the tone set a bit left of center.  I arrived at "1" since they just felt right in the fingers and ended up with "2" because of "ka-kuriputan", having stumbled upon the bass rig long before I picked-up the 335 clone.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2007, 01:38:29 AM »
Hi Jaco!

Guitar-wise and bass-wise, flatwound strings are pretty much one and the same - referring to a certain process the strings are made. Flatwounds have a ribbon-like winding along the core string. It's like metal fettuccini rather than spaghetti wrapped around the core, producing a more mellow sound and feel smoother and silkier under the fingers.

Like bass strings, the guitar flats are also available in a variety of gauges, ranging from .010s to either .014 or even .015s.

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing to approximate that sound. But it's still a different experience to play a properly-setup guitar with a really good set of flats, as Phil narrated.
"No static at all ..."