hulika

Author Topic: The Chick Corea thread  (Read 13760 times)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Chick Corea thread
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:45:04 PM »
I've dug his music for so long - he was my entry point to jazz and I've recently started listening to him again. Always fresh. Hoping to find some like-minded people out there who want to discuss the albums and the music!

From the bands (Circle, Return to Forever, Elektric Band, Akoustic Band, Origin), to the players in his bands (Airto, Flora Purim, Joe Farrell, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, Al DiMeola, Dave Weckl, John Pattitucci, Frank Gambale, Steve Gadd, Eddie Gomez, Bunny Brunel, Michael Brecker, Roy Haynes, Miroslav Vitous, Dave Holland, etc.) to the albums, to the tunes (Spain, Matrix, Windows, 500 Miles High, La Fiesta, You're Everything, etc.)

Everyone is welcome - well except Aya Yuson who says he hates Chick but that's his problem!! Aya is banned from posting on this thread :)

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Chick Corea thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
I have a two-disc album of Chick Corea with Return to Forever, and a dvd of his concert, but I seldom watch/listen to them. I was only interested with his drummers.
His music is quite far out and soooo advance! I must admit that Im not "intellectual" enough to grasp it; not yet :oops:

But I think I will be digging my drawers for his albums tonight :-D
So Be It.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »
napanood ko sa grammys one time....chick corea performing with the foo fighters..hehe... :-D :-D

favorite ko na RTF song ay ung "Song to the Pharoah Kings"  :-D :-D
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »
i have his'-- 'now he sings and now he sobs' n album, it's really frustrating pag nakikinig ako kay chick because he has this large vocabulary, an ordinary mind can't dig.. pero after trying to dig his later albums, na-gets ko n rin.. he's like a drummer for me, isa sa trait nya yung syncopated lines na nag li-linger sa utak mo.. similar appraoch na nagustuhan ko kay henderson and metheny, i like players who can justify a demented line, into something musical.. :-D

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »
I got my first taste of Chick Corea's music way back in high school - around 1977, I think.  :-) A classmate of mine, who was our resident 'jazz guru,' exposed us to Chick's music, along with Jeff Beck, McLaughlin, DiMeola and a lot more. It was a radical musical turning point, so to speak.

At the time, RTF had just reformatted. That was the 'MusicMagic' period, if I'm not mistaken.

From there, we worked our way backwards, listening to the older stuff like 'No Mystery,' 'Where Have I Known You Before?' and 'Light As A Feather.' Now, for someone who hasn't really been exposed to 'mainstream jazz,' all this hodgepodge of jazz/rock/Latin influences sure sounded Greek to me. Although I pretty much dug the rock side of things - thanks to his sidemen.

But even then, a few cuts left an indelible impression on me: 'Humpty Dumpty' from the 'Mad Hatter' album, mainly since it sounded so ... 'jazzy,' for lack of a better term. Joe Farrell's lines, Steve Gadd's sensitive drumming, and of course, Corea's bop lines made me listen more and more ...

The bop influence hit me even more with the release of 'Three Quartet,' which featured Michael Brecker. Wow!!! All I could say then was, "Man, THIS is jazz!!!"  :-)

All that quartal [gooey brown stuff] just left me dumbfounded.

As a sidelight, please bear in mind that all these happened during a time when records and cassette tapes were the sole sources of music.

Sadly, there was a quite a long lull from the 'death' of vinyl to the birth of the CD format. Along with that, at least in the local scene, there was also a dearth of jazz albums.

The only consolation we had at the time was when Ivory Records reissued some of the old jazz classics in cassette format, with artists like Coltrane/Miles, Wes, Monk, Bill Evans and quite a lot more.

But I digress.

Another major turning point, as far as Corea is concerned, was the birth of the Elektric Band, around 1986, if I'm not mistaken. And what a comeback! He had Carlos Rios and Scott Henderson on guitar, a very young (and sizzling) John Pattitucci brandishing his 6-string bass chops and Weckl (another monster, right Jim?  :-)) on drums.

Man!!! That album felt like a breath of fresh air. Jazz-rock-fusion at its best. None of the hauntingly eerie Gayle Moran vocals and all that leprechaun crap ...  :-)

Boy, this post is getting long. And I haven't even touched on the Akoustic Band..

More to follow ..

"No static at all ..."

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
Song to The Pharoah Kings, Earth Juice, Spain, No Mystery, Hymn to the 7th Galaxy,..

Duet with Bobby Mcferrin,  Wala na akong masabi.

With RTF I'd have to mention the Clarke-penned VULCAN WORLDS. 

Umuusok kasi.  :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »
ayus din rythm sect ni corea!hanep mag slap si patitucci.. tupank to the MAX! :-D

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »
It was with the Akoustic band that Chick ripped songs open.  And it was the first time I heard Weckl cut loose, approaching the drum role from a different view, in my opinion.

Anybody here who saw his Manila concert, recount naman (That was covered in Jingle Magazine, we less fortunate mortals had to be content with reading about it) :-D PICC Ba yun?
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
Spain!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »

Everyone is welcome - well except Aya Yuson who says he hates Chick but that's his problem!! Aya is banned from posting on this thread :)

why does Aya hate chick?

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »

why does Aya hate chick?
ang gusto ni bossing aya CHICKS kasi.. :-D

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:41:07 AM »

why does Aya hate chick?
ang gusto ni bossing aya CHICKS kasi.. :-D

TOOOOOOOOOMFACT!  :-D :-D :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 12:58:37 PM »
why does Aya hate chick?

Just not his cup of tea I guess. Every mention of Chick gets a violent reaction from him.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 11:57:35 AM »
Though I think his work with Origin seems restrained.
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline purplehaze

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:47:21 PM »
Saw him played twice (yes 2x) sa manila, if i can recall, both in the 80's (or early 90's) with david weckl, john patitucci.. totally floored by the set and 'aura' of the man...

considering his stature he is so humble and even went down on stage to invite all the people to come nearer the stage. Sadly very very few people watch him on both show.. BUT you should have seen the audience reaction... it was practically the entire jazz crowd and musicians watching him (saw a lot of local jazz musicians as audience) my friend told me later that if somebody exploded a bomb (i think it was the height of bomb scare in manila at that time) that night sa PICC manila's jazz scene will be wipe out, audience and musicians included..
both times he was with the electric band... with a saxophone player the last time (???)
because there was very few BUT VERY VERY appreciative audience, the tickets (lucky me) have to be discounted at the gate.....

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 02:42:49 PM »
they played here?!?  :cry: :cry: sayang nung mga panahon na un grunge pa pinapakinggan ko....kung ngaun nangyari un...im ther man! swerte mo sir!
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
Saw him played twice (yes 2x) sa manila, if i can recall, both in the 80's (or early 90's) with david weckl, john patitucci.. totally floored by the set and 'aura' of the man...

considering his stature he is so humble and even went down on stage to invite all the people to come nearer the stage. Sadly very very few people watch him on both show.. BUT you should have seen the audience reaction... it was practically the entire jazz crowd and musicians watching him (saw a lot of local jazz musicians as audience) my friend told me later that if somebody exploded a bomb (i think it was the height of bomb scare in manila at that time) that night sa PICC manila's jazz scene will be wipe out, audience and musicians included..
both times he was with the electric band... with a saxophone player the last time (???)
because there was very few BUT VERY VERY appreciative audience, the tickets (lucky me) have to be discounted at the gate.....

Yep that's the one i'm talking about, sa PICC. Akoustic Band. Thanks, sir purple. Sayang ano..

The sax player, Eric Marienthal Perhaps?

And it was also the same era when a then strange guitar player with cool hat and locks hiding his eyes was making a buzz with a group calling themselves GnR.. :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 03:55:54 AM »
I've dug his music for so long - he was my entry point to jazz and I've recently started listening to him again. Always fresh. Hoping to find some like-minded people out there who want to discuss the albums and the music!

From the bands (Circle, Return to Forever, Elektric Band, Akoustic Band, Origin), to the players in his bands (Airto, Flora Purim, Joe Farrell, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, Al DiMeola, Dave Weckl, John Pattitucci, Frank Gambale, Steve Gadd, Eddie Gomez, Bunny Brunel, Michael Brecker, Roy Haynes, Miroslav Vitous, Dave Holland, etc.) to the albums, to the tunes (Spain, Matrix, Windows, 500 Miles High, La Fiesta, You're Everything, etc.)

YO, i never said i hate Chick. All i said was i'm not a fan.

There's a difference.
 :-)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline foom

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »

There's a difference.
yun naman pala...
end is near. learn to swim.

Offline foom

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 06:51:37 PM »
ang lalim nya tumugtog.  sumali rin kaya ako sa scientology...
end is near. learn to swim.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 06:03:34 PM »
Yep that's the one i'm talking about, sa PICC. Akoustic Band. Thanks, sir purple. Sayang ano..

The sax player, Eric Marienthal Perhaps?...

the first one was at the PICC. it was just the three of them (akoustik band - corea, weckl, patitucci). the next one was at the music museum. he was with john patitucci, gary novak (drums), and bob berg (sax). chick was in a bad mood. he hated the piano he was using.  they played cuts from what was then their latest album, time warp, which up to now, i still don't understand... :-)
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 11:15:51 PM »

There's a difference.
yun naman pala...

peace na..hehe :-D

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 12:34:20 AM »
Chick Corea and Bela Fleck (with audio interview and live studio performance)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11598402

Dedicated to Aya...  :mrgreen:

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »
Hahahahahahaha!  :-D

Ayos ka talaga, Jim. Mwah.  :-D
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 09:02:34 AM »
the first one was at the PICC. it was just the three of them (akoustik band - corea, weckl, patitucci). the next one was at the music museum. he was with john patitucci, gary novak (drums), and bob berg (sax). chick was in a bad mood. he hated the piano he was using.  they played cuts from what was then their latest album, time warp, which up to now, i still don't understand... :-)

You have the memory of an elephant! I saw both the PICC (where I got the autographs of the Akoustic trio) and the (oddly sparsely populated) Music Museum gig. The only musicians I remembered from the Music Museum gig were Gary Bartz and Patitucci (who played upright bass all throughout, with an odd pa-kembot kembot pelvic motion that drove the females nuts). Couldn't remember the others, thanks for pointing them out. Was this Chick's post-Electrik band Origin?