hulika

Author Topic: TOP FIVE SOUL ALBUMS  (Read 3653 times)

Offline plasticsoul

TOP FIVE SOUL ALBUMS
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
To begin with, rock (n roll) does not have the monopoly of contribtuion that revolutionized and eventually shaped popular music. Jazz and blues have their share too. Equally important is the place of "soul" in music history. Soul was already psychedelic in its own way even before anybody became psychedelic during the mid 60s; and, revolutionary and very influential that it had produced some of the greatest artists of our time. As a tribute to soul, here's my list of top 5 soul albums:

What's Going On- Marvin Gaye
Deviating from his usual stuff back in the 60s, Marvin Gaye took a big step towards soul music as he sings "What's Going On" at the height of war in Vietnam and political turmoil in America. Smokey Robinson once said that "this is the greatest album of all time." True enough, this album has its place among the greatest music pieces ever made. This is why it has been voted as the number #6 greatest album of all time by the Rolling Stone magazine.

James Brown Live at the Apollo
If Fillmore East is famous for rock concerts, the Apollo Theater is known to be a venue for soul and blues performances. With this album, one can feel the electricity as Brown reached out for his audience, and his audience to him. Recorded on the night of October 24, 1962 and released sometime in 1963 amidst dipute with Brown's label, this album proves to be "the soul at its finest." Very raw and very soul. And, this was before the birth of the British invasion and American music during the mid 60s.

Innervisions- Stevie Wonder
At this point, Wonder was on a roll in making groundbreaking records. In this album, Wonder sings about drug abuse and its consequences (Too High), love's pain, agony and its difficulties (All Is Fair In Love) and the realization of a worse case of poverty in the city where he moves as compared to where he comes from (Living for the City).

The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic Rhythm and Blues Recording, 1952-1959- Ray Charles. This may be Charles' most prolific years as he had become equally important in the same level as Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley in American music. He combined gospel, rnb, jazz, blues and rnr into one musical piece. And, the result was just revolutionary. This must really be the birth of soul. Exceptional tracks: I Got A Woman; What I'd Say.

Al Green Greatest Hits
In the movie "Munich," in one scene, the Arabs and the Jews seemed to never agree on what music to listen. They were only in one room and had only one radio. Each time one tuned in to one station, the other tuned it to another. Finally, the station played "Let's Stay Together." Both agreed to listen. Even for just a while. To me, Green remains as a pioneer of soul. He made it groovier, happier, and sometimes more sad, but very moving. Before, this album served as an initiation to those who didn't know Green much. But after a while, RStone Magazine voted it in its Top 100 greatest albums of all time. And, I am not surprised.

Runner-ups: Talking Book-Stevie Wonder; Songs in the Key of Life-Stevie Wonder; Lady Soul- Aretha Franklin; I Never Loved A Man the Way I Love You-Aretha Franklin; Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul; Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music.

PS. Aretha Franklin had just been recently voted as the number #1 greatest singer of all time during the rock era by the Rolling Stone magazine.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:18:30 PM by plasticsoul »

Offline lance2dbeat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: TOP FIVE SOUL ALBUMS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
Sino Sikat - So Blue Album
Julianne - Grateful
Yosha - Baby Steps
Layag - Silangan
Mike's Apartment - Lovers Quarrel

:lol: