hulika

Author Topic: First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines  (Read 120443 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2006, 02:18:39 PM »
Quote from: fretburner
how can EL34s sound like Fender Cleans?

Riveras can do that.  Moreso a friggin' expensive amp like a Herbert can do that too.

I also remember Boogies with EL84s that can nail Fender Clean, only that it would be better paired with Jensens than V30s.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2006, 04:25:28 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
Why would you want more gains in the second channel? Is it not enough? I would imagine that having more gain requirement would just have one go to channel 3 OR just crank up the volume to saturate the amp. I prefer natural saturation over gain, but thats me. $4K for the amp is a bit much but when I was shopping around for something that eventually brought me to the VH4S, there really wasn't anything that gave me the sound  that the Diezel could dish out. Oh well...I still think it is a bit much for an amp head but the MIDI capability had me sold - the less clutter on my pedal board, the better. Besides, its another tool in the box, I think, and the variety between my Mesa stuff does me plenty good. I wouldn't say the thing blew me away either...it was just different and nice; an amp head that I could use for a lot of tones across the board.

Yeah, abys. Midi capability was one of the perks that I look for in an amp. Less hassle with pedals.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

Riveras can do that.  Moreso a friggin' expensive amp like a Herbert can do that too.

I also remember Boogies with EL84s that can nail Fender Clean, only that it would be better paired with Jensens than V30s.

im not so sure about that...6L6 cleans are different from EL34 cleans... some would say soldanos have the best of both worlds - fender cleans and marshall crunch - but maybe they're just saying that it can get close to fender cleans... oh well... maybe someone would A/B it with a twin.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2006, 09:47:47 PM »
Fretburner,

I have to support Skunkyfunk on this... the EL34s in the rivera tbr1 really sound more fender than a lot of fenders on the clean channel.  Despite the fact that the Diezel Herbert has a circuit that is not really a copy of the classic circuits we know. It for some reason can sound very similar to fender and marshall but not exact because it adds its own Diezel mid which really sounds nice.  In the end, it really boils down to channel voicing.  The Rivera TBR1SL was the first amp that proved to me that you can get more fender than fender on EL34s.

If there is one thing the Herbert Diezel has proven, it can do things outside of the well accepted norms and conditions we have gotten used to amps.  I even dare to say that this is true amp modeling because of the variety of tones and tweaks available.  I dont mean it to be amp modeling in a POD or Line 6 way which is really preset timbres but rather dynamics with variable sonic palettes at your fingertips.

On channel 3 gain, I am happy with the amount of gain.  We did not get to try a high output humbucker.  If we did, I am sure that Skunky Funk would have found the gain sufficient.  On the other hand, the uberschall really has more gain but then i really dont know if you would have use for more gain.  I seldom get past 12 o clock on the Uberschall and it takes a really special guitar to handle the gain past 12 o clock.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2006, 10:44:26 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Fretburner,

I have to support Skunkyfunk on this... the EL34s in the rivera tbr1 really sound more fender than a lot of fenders on the clean channel.  Despite the fact that the Diezel Herbert has a circuit that is not really a copy of the classic circuits we know. It for some reason can sound very similar to fender and marshall but not exact because it adds its own Diezel mid which really sounds nice.  In the end, it really boils down to channel voicing.  The Rivera TBR1SL was the first amp that proved to me that you can get more fender than fender on EL34s.

why would you compare a rivera to some freak fender with EL34s? fender cleans are 6L6 cleans (if you read my post?).

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2006, 11:08:31 PM »
Fretburner,

For clarification, which freak Fender with EL34s are you referring to in your post?

Soldano SLO100s have sovtek 5881 and not 6L6s.  They use to have the Philips ... I forget the exact model before they switched to 5881. Soldano does not care what output tubes you put in the amp.  He claims that matched tubes are not even a factor in the circuit.  He says its up to you to install your preference but they prefer that you stick with sovtek 5881s as being the most reliable for the SLO100.  I dont usually argue with these guys because they made the amp and I just follow their recommendations. The SLO100s clean is NOT fender.  Its gain channel is not really marshall.  The Rivera TBR1SL with its stock EL34s sound more fender than a lot of fenders.  The TBR1SL was designed with EL34s in the circuit. And up to this point it time, remains to be my favorite clean channel followed by the Diezel and Vox AC30 in 2nd place.  I forget to mention that the TBR1SL has the best built in reverb in any amp I have tried.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2006, 11:15:10 PM »
6L6's are the same tube type as 5881's... 5881 number was just used because it used to be only available as a military tube...maybe there are differences in "current" or "voltage" with 6l6's but, so are all other 6l6 types naman are different with each other...

now for Fender with EL34's.. meron ba nun?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2006, 12:15:54 AM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn
6L6's are the same tube type as 5881's... 5881 number was just used because it used to be only available as a military tube...maybe there are differences in "current" or "voltage" with 6l6's but, so are all other 6l6 types naman are different with each other...

may switch ba ang fender para 5881/6l6gc to EL34?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2006, 12:19:28 AM »
Quote from: Phil

wala..pero maybe use Yellow Jacket tube converter..magkaiba yung pins ng EL's sa 6L6's e. not sure how it will sound though.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2006, 01:02:57 AM »

wala..pero maybe use Yellow Jacket tube converter..magkaiba yung pins ng EL's sa 6L6's e. not sure how it will sound though.
pero pareng Sonny...kahit na magfit....iba ang daloy ng kuryente para sa EL34 compared to 5881. para bang 110 switch to 220 ba.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2006, 07:44:37 AM »

pero pareng Sonny...kahit na magfit....iba ang daloy ng kuryente para sa EL34 compared to 5881. para bang 110 switch to 220 ba.

..eto link ng THD yellow jackets...its a good read.
http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/yellow_jacket.htm

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2006, 09:01:07 AM »
Fretburner,

For clarification, which freak Fender with EL34s are you referring to in your post?

uh...dude... i dunno what "your precious" has done to you... but you this:

"The Rivera TBR1SL was the first amp that proved to me that you can get more fender than fender on EL34s."

and yes, 5881s are sturdier 6L6s... they are smaller tubes originally military spec tubes.

and of course, Vox AC30s are the benchmark for EL84 cleans.

so most tonefreaks usually just categorize: fender (6L6) cleans, EL34 cleans and EL84 cleans.

so if your $4100 herbert (perhaps catapulted to fame by richie sambora) would have fender cleans despite having EL34s, maybe you should A/B it with a Twin?

just a suggestion.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2006, 10:18:02 AM »
that would be an interesting test. the twin is one of the most fenderish clean i have heard so far. maybe you can ask someone to record the test and post it so we can also compare.
Surf's Up!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »
wow very nice amp you got there oasgomez, it just blew my amp away.. i just love the full, scooped-mid metal sound it can produce :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2006, 01:17:09 PM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
wow very nice amp you got there oasgomez, it just blew my amp away.. i just love the full, scooped-mid metal sound it can produce :)
I definetly DO NOT agree.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »

i was being sarcastic hehe :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »

i was being sarcastic hehe :)
olrayts. :wink:

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »
Sir Phil,

Just wondering, what to you is a great sound?

Have you A/Bed a Diezel Herbert versus a Carvin Legacy?

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 08:10:42 PM »
Venus Isle,

I never implied that the Diezel Herbert will blow your amp away.  I just raised its positive points and I have qualified that nothing by Marshall, Peavey or Fender can touch it as a personal preference/opinion.  So, like I said, until you try a Diezel Herbert dont assume it will blow your amp away.  I am just saying it does in my experience and it might if you try it.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2006, 08:23:07 PM »
Quote from: stratman1
MOre gain? Really? Hmmm... wonder, wonder. I agree with your # 2 gripe, $4.1K. That's a lot of dough.

tcha..kamahal na pala ng Diesel ngayon. ano to per gallon?

pa korni epek lang.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2006, 08:49:31 PM »
i hope you'll forgive me for pointing this out, but...

Venus Isle,

I never implied that the Diezel Herbert will blow your amp away. I just raised its positive points and I have qualified that nothing by Marshall, Peavey or Fender can touch it as a personal preference/opinion. So, like I said, until you try a Diezel Herbert dont assume it will blow your amp away.

now that's cool and all... up until the last sentence of the very same paragraph:

I am just saying it does in my experience and it might if you try it.

so, ano ba talaga?

don't get me wrong. i'm impressed with how Mark Seal demo'ed that amp. kaso halos lahat nalalabuan sa mga sinasabi mo e. and that's putting it mildly.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline vinCe-uv7bk

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2006, 10:46:50 PM »
he really ment for you to try it. Oasgomez is trying to stress out that Not all high price/known amps sound good. Based on his experience he is just trying to help us out so that we dnt waste our money on "branded" expensive amps. A big factor also would be the listeners taste. He usualy holds a tone party thing with arie. seriously he's a generous guy. In a way he would let people try out his high end toys for people to understand and get the feel of these high end amps. He is not boasting or showing off that he's rich or has alot of toys but simply he just wants to share his amps. honestly the vox amp 2x12 and the mesa boogie at aries place is actualy Oasgomez amps. its been with arie for over a year already. so peace na mnga tao LOL alah na gulo hOkeh?  :lol:

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2006, 10:57:10 PM »
.....doesn't james hetfield use a diezel nowadays?
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2006, 11:30:48 PM »
Quote from: vinCe-uv7bk
he really ment for you to try it. Oasgomez is trying to stress out that Not all high price/known amps sound good. Based on his experience he is just trying to help us out so that we dnt waste our money on "branded" expensive amps. A big factor also would be the listeners taste. He usualy holds a tone party thing with arie. seriously he's a generous guy. In a way he would let people try out his high end toys for people to understand and get the feel of these high end amps. He is not boasting or showing off that he's rich or has alot of toys but simply he just wants to share his amps. honestly the vox amp 2x12 and the mesa boogie at aries place is actualy Oasgomez amps. its been with arie for over a year already. so peace na mnga tao LOL alah na gulo hOkeh?  :lol:

Wala naman sanang problem Vince. maybe just a problem of articulation on Mr.Gomez side. Nandon na tayo na he is voicing out his opinions, but you can do it naman without sounding like youre bragging. take it this way, youre eating your favorite hamburger tapos I came along and say: "Vince, ano ba yang hamburger na kinakain mo,thats [gooey brown stuff] man!?"
pero in your opinion naman your burger is quite good tasting, how would you take that?

I am sure he is a cool and kind guy in person, but it seems pag nasa forums/internet na sya, nagtratransform sya into something else. para syang Jekyll & Hyde( not the overdrive ha) hehe.

Offline vinCe-uv7bk

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2006, 11:42:20 PM »
sabagay your also right hay sana ala na gulo party nalng tayo lahat  :lol: