hulika

Author Topic: The PRS Thread...  (Read 492218 times)

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The PRS Thread...
« Reply #2925 on: July 07, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »
Finally...they did a Paul Reed Smith! (not sure if you watch this youtube channel though)  :-D

Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2926 on: July 07, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
Finally...they did a Paul Reed Smith! (not sure if you watch this youtube channel though)  :-D

the time he played Stellar, I remember Mike was also playing a PRS on that album and their concert "Morning view sessions!" Mike's PRS was a hollow body though but it sounded exactly the same.

BTT: I heared "hiyaw" on this one. I definitely heard it!  :lol:
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline bhadz

« Reply #2927 on: July 07, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
sir ask lang po about prs. new lang po kasi sa brand na yan.
okey po ba ang prs se singlecut? magkano napo ba ang value nya ngayon pag second hand? korea made po tnx

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2928 on: July 10, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »
Yes sir. Beveled thick maple cap with flamed maple veneer.

Initial impression on feel of the se2 vs. the dgt. Construction is at par with the us counterpart. I just felt the finish on the neck is better on the dgt (nitro). Haven't plugged it in yet coz we were having a drinking session on the roofdeck that time.

The owner wants to change the pickups of the se2 to bkp. Any suggestions?

Ask Skybox about his Custom SE.
Personally I think the stock pickups are fine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pickup swaps are always hit or miss. If you like the sound of the stock pickups, better not to mess with it. If you don't like it then go ahead and check out aftermarket options. Just keep in mind that there is no real science on this so you better be ready for anything.

I have three Nitro-finished Gibson Les Pauls and I don't feel bothered about PRS's Poly finish. I think even the Maryland-made PRSs are not finished in Nitro, right?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline jeba_03

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2929 on: July 10, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
Pickup swaps are always hit or miss. If you like the sound of the stock pickups, better not to mess with it. If you don't like it then go ahead and check out aftermarket options. Just keep in mind that there is no real science on this so you better be ready for anything.

I have three Nitro-finished Gibson Les Pauls and I don't feel bothered about PRS's Poly finish. I think even the Maryland-made PRSs are not finished in Nitro, right?
Yes most are poly i believe. The dgt of the owner had nitro finish though. I don't know if it was stock but i like the feel of the used neck vs. the new one.

My les pauls have different finishes. One has matte, another has nitro and one with partially sanded nitro which i use the most.

Will try to a/b the guitars next weekend's session. Your inputs are much appreciated and well noted. Personally, i don't change guitar pickups. I just convert them to 50s wiring when possible.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:26:25 PM by jeba_03 »
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BM

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2930 on: July 10, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
Yes most are poly i believe. The dgt of the owner had nitro finish though. I don't know if it was stock but i like the feel of the used neck vs. the new one.

My les pauls have different finishes. One has matte, another has nitro and one with partially sanded nitro which i use the most.

Will try to a/b the guitars next weekend's session. Your inputs are much appreciated and well noted. Personally, i don't change guitar pickups. I just convert them to 50s wiring when possible.

That's odd. Even the Artist Package on the DGT does not include Nitro. Must be a very special guitar indeed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:33:19 PM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2931 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
Yes sir. Beveled thick maple cap with flamed maple veneer.

Initial impression on feel of the se2 vs. the dgt. Construction is at par with the us counterpart. I just felt the finish on the neck is better on the dgt (nitro). Haven't plugged it in yet coz we were having a drinking session on the roofdeck that time.

The owner wants to change the pickups of the se2 to bkp. Any suggestions?

Like what others say, if you're happy with the stock pickups, then stick with them. But BKP would be a welcome upgrade if you ask me. I had nailbombs alnico set on my Classic Premium Plus awhile back, and I loved it.

That's odd. Even the Artist Package on the DGT does not include Nitro. Must be a very special guitar indeed.

PRS had some run of nitros although they have been using poly and V12 finishes, to quote them on their website:

"most of our instruments have been finished with a polyester basecoat and acrylic urethane topcoat. We feel acrylic urethane looks and feels the close to the old nitrocellulose finishes but avoided the issue of future finish checking. Several PRS models, including our Sunburst, Satin, Modern Eagles, and DGT models use a nitrocellulose finish in order to provide the classic feel and tone of vintage instruments.

In 2010, PRS Guitars introduced its new V12 finish. This finish was developed over 12 years, and it is intended as a midpoint between nitro and acrylic with a classic feel all its own. V12 is extremely thin to allow the guitar to resonate, but it is still incredibly durable with no risk of reacting to leather or guitar stands in a negative way."

Here's some of the nitro finish they made over the uears
1. Modern Eagle
2. DGTs so there goes Jeba_03 mate's guitar until the V12 was introduced in 2010
3. Some Private stocks
4. The Siggy Limited PS
5. CE Satin Nitro
6. 2009 Smokeburst McCarty
7. Even the Ted's

Other than feeling the finish if its Nitro or not, they came with "Nitro" Case candies as well.

N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2932 on: July 10, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »
Like what others say, if you're happy with the stock pickups, then stick with them. But BKP would be a welcome upgrade if you ask me. I had nailbombs alnico set on my Classic Premium Plus awhile back, and I loved it.

PRS had some run of nitros although they have been using poly and V12 finishes, to quote them on their website:

"most of our instruments have been finished with a polyester basecoat and acrylic urethane topcoat. We feel acrylic urethane looks and feels the close to the old nitrocellulose finishes but avoided the issue of future finish checking. Several PRS models, including our Sunburst, Satin, Modern Eagles, and DGT models use a nitrocellulose finish in order to provide the classic feel and tone of vintage instruments.

In 2010, PRS Guitars introduced its new V12 finish. This finish was developed over 12 years, and it is intended as a midpoint between nitro and acrylic with a classic feel all its own. V12 is extremely thin to allow the guitar to resonate, but it is still incredibly durable with no risk of reacting to leather or guitar stands in a negative way."

Here's some of the nitro finish they made over the uears
1. Modern Eagle
2. DGTs so there goes Jeba_03 mate's guitar until the V12 was introduced in 2010
3. Some Private stocks
4. The Siggy Limited PS
5. CE Satin Nitro
6. 2009 Smokeburst McCarty
7. Even the Ted's

Other than feeling the finish if its Nitro or not, they came with "Nitro" Case candies as well.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Aside from the lack of that sweet nitro smell I really couldnt notice a significant difference between Nitro on my Les Pauls and the V12 on rnodern's PRSs. His 1989 CE seems to have a much thinner finish though.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2933 on: July 11, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing. Aside from the lack of that sweet nitro smell I really couldnt notice a significant difference between Nitro on my Les Pauls and the V12 on rnodern's PRSs. His 1989 CE seems to have a much thinner finish though.

Ditto.

The V12s and pre V12 finish on PRSi are far cry from Gibson USA and RIs. I yet to compare them with the nitro finished PRS though, might be close, but not quite.

The early V12s were such a mess that some blokes complain of finish chipping. I'd rather go for finish checking and cracks than chipping. I have a nasty chip on my Ted DC, on the neck binding side, it shows the natural wood from the finish. And of course it does not affect tone at all  :-D
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2934 on: July 12, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:54:32 PM by faceless »
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2935 on: July 12, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »
Introducing the new McSoapie 594

Comes in DC or SC

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/news/story/introducing_the_mccarty_594_soapbar_models

I have recently fallen in love with the sound of P90's and find it hard to replicate the tones and even the volume knob roll-off characteristics of P90's on humbucker-loaded guitars. And yeah I can live with the hum too haha. It somehow fits right in between Strat tones and full fat LP tones.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2936 on: July 13, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »
I have recently fallen in love with the sound of P90's and find it hard to replicate the tones and even the volume knob roll-off characteristics of P90's on humbucker-loaded guitars. And yeah I can live with the hum too haha. It somehow fits right in between Strat tones and full fat LP tones.

I totally agree. It has a distinct grit and bite. I had an R6 not too long ago, but for the life of me, sold it and regretted doing so.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2937 on: August 07, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
I'm in the market for a PRS 408. I'm contemplating whether if I should buy from Japan or just go local though choices are limited (currently in NZ).
What do you guys think?
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2938 on: August 07, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
Trampas Green Fade, out.

Faded Gray Black, in.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:49:42 PM by faceless »
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2939 on: August 09, 2017, 04:54:57 PM »
Vernon Reid PRS S2 Vela

http://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/s2/s2_vr_vela

the cult of personality...
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2940 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:23 AM »
^Pang Glamour Boys! :-D

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2941 on: August 11, 2017, 02:38:50 AM »

I don't dig the aesthetics of these that much. Maybe a goldtop of these can work.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2942 on: August 11, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »
I don't dig the aesthetics of these that much. Maybe a goldtop of these can work.

Agree. And ang galing how they pulled off the H-P90 combo in the SE Chris Robertson. Somehow hindi sha masakit sa mata. Probably due to the black P90 cover blending into the Kentucky Blueburst.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2943 on: August 11, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
Agree. And ang galing how they pulled off the H-P90 combo in the SE Chris Robertson. Somehow hindi sha masakit sa mata. Probably due to the black P90 cover blending into the Kentucky Blueburst.

Dude's got a mean PS in Northern Lights.

And he plays his SE models on gigs as well.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2944 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
Loving that P90-H combo model! A good alternative to the Gibson LP BFG!  :drool:

Addendum:

Haha Not a new model pala sya. I didn't know. Too bad they're only available in Europe. but man, I'm really digging them! With 57/08s pa! My fave Hunbuckers!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:52:36 PM by curiousdcat »

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2945 on: August 14, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »
Loving that P90-H combo model! A good alternative to the Gibson LP BFG!  :drool:

Addendum:

Haha Not a new model pala sya. I didn't know. Too bad they're only available in Europe. but man, I'm really digging them! With 57/08s pa! My fave Hunbuckers!

That, and a PRS USA adjustable wraparound bridge, a far cry from earlier reiterations of SE's, equipped with adjustable bridges.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2946 on: August 14, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
That, and a PRS USA adjustable wraparound bridge, a far cry from earlier reiterations of SE's, equipped with adjustable bridges.

Not sure if it got the 2017 headstock makeover too though.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2947 on: August 15, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
Not sure if it got the 2017 headstock makeover too though.

That could be awesome, but all those I've seen online sport the old SE headstock. Since they are limited production and EU exclusive, they prolly didn't made before PRS decided to go with the sig logo.
N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline faceless

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2948 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:10 PM »
DC245, out

SC58, in

N4 | ME2 | MC58 | R8

Offline nogi

« Reply #2949 on: September 23, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »

2012 PRS Single Cut SC58 Stripped Made In USA