hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread  (Read 257723 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2007, 05:09:45 AM »
Parang the Prestige. Oi BAMF when you bump into a device that can multiply my pedals, cables and guitars, I'm getting one. :D

The source is even older than the eighties. Think turn of the twentieth century. Nikola Tesla.

yeah, maganda naman yung nagagawang effect nung "scalarizer" eh. pero no offense, BAMF...

palitan mo naman yung pangalan oh, hehe. it sounds like a device found in 80's sci-fi movies eh, hehe. plus medyo mahirap bigkasin, hehe. baka pwede mong pangalanan in the lines of the sonic stomp or sonic maximizer. maybe we can call it a "sonic expander" since it expands the sonic characteristics of guitars... in short, we can name it...

"the sexpander!!!"

"makes your guitars real woody!"
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2007, 05:15:22 AM »
whew... all that talk about smoking this and smoking that makes me wanna roll a blunt...

Haven't smoked one for quite some time. pass it on.

Ano ba yan. Away na naman.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2007, 05:58:51 AM »
@BAMF, a few honest questions:

1) How do you thing ageing would impact the performance of your device?
2) Any plans of patenting it?
3) Would a post-signal chain device using a different configuration of the same component be viable? I'm interested in its potential as a post-modeller device.
4) If putting it in the guitar ("in contact with the wood") has any effect on the tone, as you suggested in the other thread, wouldn't that mean that its performance in an XLR box is compromised?

1- Gets better with time
2- yes, KitC is referring me to a lawyer specializing in patents
3- Not yet fully explored although the results with an off-instrument unit were not that fantastic.
4- For some reason, yes, the most optimal position is inside the instrument, in contact with the wood.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2007, 06:09:24 AM »
Sorry kung telegraphic na ko sumagot ha. Just got home from a recording session @ PIMP with jepoy, chito and deacon_blues.

My RJ PRS has a DPDT switch that selects between metal and crystal scalarizers.

to all users who have used or those who had their guitars scalarizzled:

will you guys please describe the tone?

im curious... but im not a curiosity buyer so ill need a little convincing rather than hearing "gumanda ang tunog" etc.

if anyone could fix some descriptions to what the mod does to the sound (or provide soundclips if possible), it would be a GREAT help for me and for those who are having second thoughts of buying the little gizmo.

dalawa palang klase na mods available nh? hmm

bamf: is it possible to make an internal switch para makakapili ka between two types? i dont know if this is possible. but if it can be done, consider me a sure buyer of 2 scalarizers

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2007, 06:13:59 AM »
Jobet...sumisigaw na ang Dubai chapter...humihingi na ng scalarizer...they are being deprived of this wonder..what shud we do?!?hehehehe

PM me na lang or email me at jobet_claudio@yahoo.com . We can arrange for international payment and shipping.

Nga lang, the shipping costs (specially pag EMS) costs much more than the unit itself. So I suggest buy 10 at a time na lang and resell at a profit there hehehe. Visit www.philpost.gov.ph for EMS International shipping rates.

For local shipping, visit www.xendexpress.com .
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:55:52 AM by BAMF »

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2007, 06:14:42 AM »
I've read all about it, now I've got to hear it!

I'll try to visit the shop next week, but if ever it's out of stock due to this Saturday's Tone Challenge (baka dumami ang skeptics-turned advocates :)  ), how long does it usually take to produce one ? Or puwedeng magpareserve ? I'm from Parañaque kasi e, so Banawe is quite far, para lang hindi ako umuwing luhaan if I go home w/o this device.   

Thanks all.   :)

I believe  we have brother micsis distributing this for our southern philmusicians. His gear was also scalarized he can do a demo for you if you like.pwede reservations depende na lng sa availability. we're still scouting for virgin goats's blood..hehehehe
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2007, 06:27:40 AM »
hay, i hope this thread doesn't go ugly...

uu nga! may fun spoiler na naman! ayun oh!

Ugly? It's all about beauty, my friend. I dunno who his guitar is named after, but my Akane is named after...

Akane Sakura. The hottest, retired, Jap AV idol there ever was  :mrgreen:

we can all be happy :) i've got her photo book, who wants? will email it to the buyers of the scalarizer  :-D

If she's hot...check her out.....named my guitar after her...Mihiro Taniguchi..the next best thing to a beautiful morning.....

"Practice makes perfect."

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2007, 06:41:14 AM »
Update - It's confirmed. The metal scalarizer is PERFECT for funk bass.

That grating, buzzing sound normally produced as a bass is slapped and plucked disappeared and in its place ensued a harmonically-related, musical noise. Mahirap paliwanag. But at least that's the findings.

I'll let Deacon_Blues comment on it for himself. We replaced the crystal scalarizer on his bass with a metal-core one.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2007, 06:56:44 AM »
BAMF -- pasensya na pre, but nalilito pa rin ako.  what exactly is this gizmo... in layman's terms please.  is it a replacement of something?  is it an add-on?  are you going to need to open up the guitar and do something intrusive?  if it's an easy fix, i'm intrigued about what it can do especially with your feedback on how it helps get the funk bass sound.  puwedeng umorder?  and how much?

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »
what the SCALARIZER has done to my Ibanez RGR470 DW with stock pick-ups tone.

first we tried to hear the natural sound of the guitar on a Fender Stage 112 amp...
-the sound is quite ok, except when i use my neck pu... sabog yung tuog (masyadong ma bass)
-then we tried the metal scalarizer, nag balance yung tunog nung neck pu.. nabawasan yung low freq nya and mas naging detailed yung      tunog ng bawat strings...
-then we tried the cristal scalarizer, much bright yung tunog nya kesa sa metal scalarizer...
-i preffer to use the metal scalarizer... more mids on the tone., mas nagustuhan ng tenga ko epekto nito.

was planning to buy an EMG pick-ups for my ax, pero not this time muna....
i know that this PU has a lot to do with with my tone pero just think of the price range,
yung nagawa ng SCALARIZER sa tone ko... yun yung hinahanap ko kung bakit sana ko magpapalit ng pick-ups

a much clear and balance tone for a very cheap price :)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:33:35 AM by chito_eoi »

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2007, 07:40:09 AM »
pasencia na BAMF... i-reveal ko na... di ko talaga mapigil

HEY GUYS... WATCH OUT FOR THE ACOUSTIC SCALARIZER!!!!

when you go to Bamf's place... try to bring an acoustic guitar with you, then try to listen what a scalarizer can do to your acoustic guitar

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2007, 09:25:31 AM »
from what i've read so far, it seems like all the people who've had their guitars scalarized, needed a tele in the first place.

:-D :-D :-D

puff... puff... pass...

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2007, 09:33:12 AM »
whhoooooo ang aga nito...

puff puff puff (deep breath for 30 sec) then dahan dahan exhale..... whose next?

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
A client used my bamf'ed strat on last nights session. Nice.  :-D The recorded track was clearer and 'sonically cleaner' (whatever that means, ahehehe). Papunta na ako sa studio to add my own guitar track to the song so I'm a bit excited. Pag sinipag ako subukan ko tapusin yung track, re-learn it, remove the scalarizer, then re-track my parts again to compare.

Sigurado gagamitin ko yung gitara sa gig namin on the 3rd sa Freedom. Shameless plugs rock!  :lol:

Pimp fafas, feel free to swing by later kung gusto nyo checkout yung recorded clips. Text lang kayo para siguradong nandun pa ako!

Offline Valve

• Veteran Member
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2007, 09:54:23 AM »
ok.. microchimp's praises are enough..

BAMF, lagyan mo yung 12'ver ko!!  :-)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:55:54 AM by Valve »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2007, 10:02:19 AM »
Trust me, it's easier to just say what it does than what it exactly is. I tried explaining it to KitC, who is a fellow ECE and I still had a hard time and looking back on how I explained it, it was still in bits and pieces. Di bale, that's not important. We are musicians, so let's just be pragmatic about it. If it works, it works ! Ganun na lang.

It's a small tootsie-roll candy shaped device. An add-on small enough to fit into the cavities of most (if not all) electric guitars. You remove the wire connecting the pickup selector switch and volume control and replace that with this instead. Think of it as a wire replacement. Nothing else needs to be touched inside the guitar, just those two solder joints. And of course, you may order. That's the idea...that the Pinoy musician (first) have superior sounding instruments for far less cost than it takes to replace pickups, trem blocks, hard tails etc.

BAMF -- pasensya na pre, but nalilito pa rin ako.  what exactly is this gizmo... in layman's terms please.  is it a replacement of something?  is it an add-on?  are you going to need to open up the guitar and do something intrusive?  if it's an easy fix, i'm intrigued about what it can do especially with your feedback on how it helps get the funk bass sound.  puwedeng umorder?  and how much?

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2007, 10:04:18 AM »
Sa 12-string! Wehehehehe.  :-D

Parang ok kakalabasan nun a...magkasama yung effect ng paglagay sa bass at sa gitara! Monster!!!  :evil:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2007, 10:05:21 AM »
With pleasure Fafa Valve ! Just say when !

ok.. microchimp's praises are enough..

BAMF, lagyan mo yung 12'ver ko!!  :-)

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2007, 10:13:42 AM »
BAMF,

i'll be bringing over my scalarized vol. box for your inspection tonight...

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2007, 10:14:29 AM »
Trust me, it's easier to just say what it does than what it exactly is. I tried explaining it to KitC, who is a fellow ECE and I still had a hard time and looking back on how I explained it, it was still in bits and pieces. Di bale, that's not important. We are musicians, so let's just be pragmatic about it. If it works, it works ! Ganun na lang.

It's a small tootsie-roll candy shaped device. An add-on small enough to fit into the cavities of most (if not all) electric guitars. You remove the wire connecting the pickup selector switch and volume control and replace that with this instead. Think of it as a wire replacement. Nothing else needs to be touched inside the guitar, just those two solder joints. And of course, you may order. That's the idea...that the Pinoy musician (first) have superior sounding instruments for far less cost than it takes to replace pickups, trem blocks, hard tails etc.

ah... mukhang simple lang naman palang ikabit.  now i really want to try it out.  can i get 10?  how much pala?  i have a relative who will be going to manila in feb so puwede niyang i-uwi dito.  i'll pm you with details.

Offline Valve

• Veteran Member
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »
ayus! iwanan ko ke Kit sa sabado.  :-)

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
BAMF,

I am so game. I want that in my MIJ Squier. Can I visit you during office hours?
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
hay, i hope this thread doesn't go ugly...

uu nga! may fun spoiler na naman! ayun oh!

Ugly? It's all about beauty, my friend. I dunno who his guitar is named after, but my Akane is named after...

Akane Sakura. The hottest, retired, Jap AV idol there ever was  :mrgreen:

we can all be happy :) i've got her photo book, who wants? will email it to the buyers of the scalarizer  :-D

If she's hot...check her out.....named my guitar after her...Mihiro Taniguchi..the next best thing to a beautiful morning.....

dami nyan dito sa Korean market....mapapa salonpas ang leeg mo.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »
BAMF,

I am so game. I want that in my MIJ Squier. Can I visit you during office hours?

Yes attorney ! Please do visit ! Para you'll know din where the new PIMP hive is, and we can get the ball rolling on our SEC registration and stuff.

Ngapala, my clinic hours are 2-9 pm :D. Can't help it, I'm nocturnal.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:26:16 AM by BAMF »

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
from what i've read so far, it seems like all the people who've had their guitars scalarized, needed a tele in the first place.

:-D :-D :-D

puff... puff... pass...

au contrair, mon ami...

you'll be surprised at what it'll do to your tele. I too, was reluctant in the onset considering that i had great twang.

Think about... BIG TWANG!  :-D
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn