hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread  (Read 259094 times)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2007, 11:39:03 AM »
ah... so it does sort of act like a pickup by itself? it's the only other possible explanation i could come up with based on what i heard from peewee's soundclip. nagkaroon kasi ng kaunting faux acoustic character yung tunog.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
Only the acoustic scalarizer has a ceramic transducer, because the core must be fed with a guitar signal. On the crystal and metal-core scalarizers, this signal comes directly from the pickups.

Yep, the crystal core scalarizer, by default, introduces a sort of faux-acoustic effect. In person, it's more like a "3D" effect.  This is what is in Kulas's guitar.

The explanations are not in the realm of electronics, Bos Al. Try Scalar Physics :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:20:40 PM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2007, 12:21:35 PM »
au contrair, mon ami...

you'll be surprised at what it'll do to your tele. I too, was reluctant in the onset considering that i had great twang.

Think about... BIG TWANG!  :-D
hmmmm... maybe i'll drop by with the ectoplasm green frankenstrat one of these days. it hasnt been the same since i had the fretboard scalloped.

as for the teles, i like them the way they are.

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »
sir Al...napansin mo ba ung sound nya ....it has a tinge of acoustic tone in it. Peewee and I noticed the difference nung ginamit namn sa Cube amp nya..meron na parang acoustic sound. before the aria pups sounded very harsh. after we installed it even Kulas was convinced of the transformation. He decided to record it to compare the difference when recorded. ung slight volume drop happened when he changed positions na medyo malayo ng konti sa amp kaya un naging result.

Sir..try mo..wala naman mawawala eh...u can have it removed if you dont like the results. Knowing ur capabilities and knowledge better off than the other guy we all know...you yourself can judge well if this gizmo is really worth it.
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »
au contrair, mon ami...

you'll be surprised at what it'll do to your tele. I too, was reluctant in the onset considering that i had great twang.

Think about... BIG TWANG!  :-D
hmmmm... maybe i'll drop by with the ectoplasm green frankenstrat one of these days. it hasnt been the same since i had the fretboard scalloped.

as for the teles, i like them the way they are.

Ahhh your Seafoam Green Epi Strat...sister of my own Blackie. Bring it.

But bring a Tele or two, just in case. The scalarizer is very unobstrusive to install...with only 2 solder joints. And on Les Pauls and Tele's, installation is a mere 5 minutes.

Pareng Nathan, trust me...no matter how much you love your Tele's, you will love them even more !

BTW, update : Anton's Fender MIJ Tele is now double-scalarized, meaning it has both crystal and metal cores installed. Weee...pakinggan nyo na lang mamaya.

Hey guys ! I hear si you-know-who is going to Elegee's shop this 2 pm ! Guys with scalarized guitars, now's your chance to make him cry  and eat his superstrats for...mmm...merienda !

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »
Ahhh your Seafoam Green Epi Strat...sister of my own Blackie. Bring it.

But bring a Tele or two, just in case. The scalarizer is very unobstrusive to install...with only 2 solder joints. And on Les Pauls and Tele's, installation is a mere 5 minutes.

Pareng Nathan, trust me...no matter how much you love your Tele's, you will love them even more !
ayt. what time ka nasa pimp house? we have practice later. dalhin ko na din yung strat.

also, do you think its possible to hook it up to a knob or something? that way you can dial in how much it affects the sound.

you should have a demo guitar with a mini toggle so you can switch it in and out. para testers can actually sample the with and without sound without waiting for you to drop it in. 8-)

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:13 PM »
Hey Jobet...

i'll see you later tonight...I'll work on Haring_Ulan's strat later and I need ur help na rin.
Baka si u know who mag eendorse ng trem block kay Jon de la Cruz!!!

"Practice makes perfect."

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
I'll be there by 7 pm.

Yes, my RJ PRS is wired with a switch, although right now it switches between crystal and metal cores. Its a 5-second mod to have it switch between scalarized and bypass scalarized.

But again, trust me, you won't need that knob or that switch :D

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2007, 12:43:31 PM »
i heard kulas' clips... ok ang clarity ah. im guessing that was the crystal scalarizer. hehe

im still anxious to hear a before and after test of the metal scalarizer and an a/b test between both....

will this clear up a muddy les paul? hmm

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
A muddy Les Paul ?

Men ! I'll let Floyd Nikita, Phoenix Rising and Vegetable joe answer that ! :D . Oh yes, and Mahavishnu and Micsis as well !

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »
^^^ ill take that as a yes. haha. pag sweldohan na bamf, ill text you (i gt your num frm a post here) hehe may maipagyayabang na ako sa folks sa davao woot

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2007, 12:59:41 PM »
Sir..try mo..wala naman mawawala eh...u can have it removed if you dont like the results. Knowing ur capabilities and knowledge better off than the other guy we all know...you yourself can judge well if this gizmo is really worth it.
errr... thanks. i think.  :lol:

i'm pretty much in the same stance as nuts. i'm not really inclined to mess with my electrics again. i have all the clarity and sparkle i want. but i will probably bring in my acoustic guitar when time permits. if the scalarizer can make a decent recording instrument out of it, then great!

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
About 3 days ago, i went to bamf's place para ipa-mod yung wah ped ko and at the same time nakipag-deal ako kay boosted.

nung pag dating ko dun kina bamf, boosted was like saying... "langya ka bamf holdaper ka!" I didnt react that much kasi di ko alam yung nangyayari... yun pla kalalagay lng ng scalarizer dun sa ibby ni boosted.

so dedma parin ako. i was thinking, "eh ano nmn kinaganda yung tono eh mij yung ibby nya mahogany yung body tapos naka 10 pa yung strings". and at that point wala pa nmn kc akong point of comparison so sige wla lang.

the next day, nung kukunin ko na yung wah pedal ko kay bamf.  inaalok nya ako na lagyan ko daw ng scalarizer yung ibby ko. sceptical parin ako kc kuntento nko sa ibby ko, then deadlifted came in with his yamaha studio lord. first, tinest namin yung studio lord. panalo yung sustain, warm na mejo gloomy yung tunog (as expected from an LP).

tapos nilagyan namin nung crystal scalarizer and man... grabe! nagulat ako... wlang effects, recta sa amp, nakuhang lagyan ng scalarizer ng sparkling effect yung LP!

nung naisip ko tama si boosted, HOLDAPER SI BAMF!!! hahaha!
you have no choice but to want it! mapapagastos ka ng di oras! lalu na yung mga impulse buyer jan! MAG INGAT KAY BAMF! hehehe! idol ka bamf! :lol:

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2007, 02:38:02 PM »
^^^ thanks! hehe.

so what do you guys recommend for a classic rock player like me? i got a greco les paul and still have trouble choosing between the crystal and metal scalarizers...

kasi im always looking for that "bite" ng gibson sound. i hope the added clarity = more bite

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2007, 02:45:21 PM »
^^^ workhorse kasi gitara ko. at home, classic rock and blues...

pero sa band and gigs. we play hardcore songs. (layo no)....

haha.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
it'll be fine. just get ready to tweak your amp and pedals if necessary.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »
nung naisip ko tama si boosted, HOLDAPER SI BAMF!!! hahaha!
you have no choice but to want it! mapapagastos ka ng di oras! lalu na yung mga impulse buyer jan! MAG INGAT KAY BAMF! hehehe! idol ka bamf! :lol:

Nyahehehe ! Actually the closer model is Drug Pusher. Papatikim muna sa yo ng konti, pag nagustuhan mo, saka ka sisingilin nyaheheeh.

Mang jose...mang jose...

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »
Lalo na ngayon, bago na MO ko...

Ikakabit ko dalawang scalarizer na in parallel, tapos tatanggalin yung metal,test, tapos tatanggalin yung crystal, tapos test.

Ang ending...bibilhin mo pareho nyahahehehehehehe JOK !

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2007, 03:18:21 PM »
Did BAMF invent the Scalarizer?
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Review using: Esprit guitar, all mahogany chambered body, set neck rosewood fretboard, dual duncan designed humbuckers.

Originally i put a metal-s for both pickups and the result was clear overall sound, balanced lows and emphasized upper mids. When i split the coils, I noticed that they sounded like P-90s. Then i tried the classic crystal-s, same overall effect but less mids. Then put a crystal-s on the neck pickup and metal-s on the bridge. Great results-bell like tones in the neck and hot punchy in the bridge position.

Later veg-joe suggested connecting the two types in parallel affecting both pickups. So i did it and thats how the soon to be released duo-core scalarizers was conceptualized. Its like listening to two gutars in unison but distinctly yet in harmony. gulo ba? Basta ganun.

To fully appreciate having two types of scalarizers in a guitar, its best that you hear them function individually, to entune your ears to the character of each. Some would be happy with just the crystal-s or metal-s. Depends in your taste, type of music, type of guitar etc. The great thing is there is a scalarizer suited for you. Now there is even an acoustic version pa!

Another way to look at the effect of the scalarizer:

Its like using an equalizer to smoothen edges, increase frequencies that lack and remove annoying frequencies. In short, whatever you dont like about the tone of your guitar, it will fix. No need for an equalizer.
Save time and money on experimenting which pickup and hardware combination etc etc to install cause its just a never-ending quest. Imo, no pickup will ever be perfect for you. This device will help you reach the ultimate tone.

Its like a mic inside ur guitar that pickups the wood vibration hence the 'woody' effect. Unlike magnetic pickups that pickup the strings vibration (of course he vibration of the strings is also wood dependent. You 'hear' the wood and the strings at the same time hence the 3D effect and longer sustain.

In my tele:

Like Nathan, I also thought my tele was clear and punchy enough but I put in a crystal-s anyway. Result - Lalo pang luminaw but sans the high peaks. Now i dont need to rolldown the tone knob ever so often. Mas nagkapunch pa. Mas dinig ko yung wood tone ngayon.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 11:53:29 PM by micsis »
I'm standing on a ROCK and my name is on the ROLL

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
Did BAMF invent the Scalarizer?

yessir!
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2007, 11:36:11 PM »
kauuwi ko lang from the PIMP Studios. hahahaha grabe daming philmusicers na nagpascalarized!

everybody... let get scalarized!!!!
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline jayzZEe

« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2007, 12:25:24 AM »
lapit na...magpapascalarize nako.  :-D

Offline lawrence

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2007, 12:49:14 AM »
Jayzee: kailan ka bro? sabay tayo!! 8-)

Offline xjepoyx