hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread  (Read 257635 times)

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #650 on: February 08, 2007, 10:31:54 PM »
BAMFx Mods? In the South? How?  :lol: :lol:

I really want to hear that Bakemono in action. :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #651 on: February 08, 2007, 10:45:09 PM »
BAMFx Mods? In the South? How?  :lol: :lol:

I really want to hear that Bakemono in action. :-D

now, that's a tough question! maybe if micsis decides to have a ds1 modded, then the bakemono will be heard there  :wink:

or, since my mom goes to san pedro periodically, you can drop the pedal off at our house/store there (with a loveletter and payment concealed inside) and i can beg for her (as the good son i am) to take it back to QC.

you won't even have to testdrive the bakemono before the mod. you'll NEVER revert to the stock ds1 ever ever again!!!  :-D
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #652 on: February 09, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
question: will it make my greco lp sound like a 59? (wishful thinking)

Offline silentspring

• Veteran Member
« Reply #653 on: February 09, 2007, 12:47:18 AM »
Ey guys, have you thought of putting all of the mods (scalarizer, Bakemono, sushi, etc.) in a website (aside form the forums of Philmusic  :lol:) for all to see (and hear) ?  Kahit Wikipedia entry lang pde na siguro!

Gustong gusto ko na kasi makita (at marinig!) tong mga to and so far the scalarizer pa lang ang nakikita ko kaso bad trip sobra busy at may kalayuan yung shop. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:48:38 AM by silentspring »

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #654 on: February 09, 2007, 12:57:49 AM »
Ey guys, have you thought of putting all of the mods (scalarizer, Bakemono, sushi, etc.) in a website (aside form the forums of Philmusic  :lol:) for all to see (and hear) ?  Kahit Wikipedia entry lang pde na siguro!

Gustong gusto ko na kasi makita (at marinig!) tong mga to and so far the scalarizer pa lang ang nakikita ko kaso bad trip sobra busy at may kalayuan yung shop. 

dont worry bro...everything is in the works..have patience..the BAMFx website will be up before you know it.
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #655 on: February 09, 2007, 01:14:53 AM »

hahahahah!

heck, even i don't know what a real '59 sounds like "in the wood"  :wink:

but, it would be best to give it a shot. if you don't like the end results, we can rip it out. you can ask vegetablejoe about his findings on his scalarized greco LP.

it made my greco strat ven more vintage and quacky

Ron Kirn

Offline stratboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #656 on: February 09, 2007, 01:21:19 AM »
may mapa-parkan ba ng sasakyan dun kela bamf? alam kong meron na dito sa 50+ pages pero paano ulit pmunta dun? from sto. domingo  :lol: slmat.
what would you guys suggest if i want to achieve a sound similar to billie joe's LP? yung punchy midrange tone, wont the metal-arizer be too.. umm, metaly? :?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #657 on: February 09, 2007, 01:23:10 AM »
may mapa-parkan ba ng sasakyan dun kela bamf? alam kong meron na dito sa 50+ pages pero paano ulit pmunta dun? from sto. domingo  :lol: slmat.
what would you guys suggest if i want to achieve a sound similar to billie joe's LP? yung punchy midrange tone, wont the metal-arizer be too.. umm, metaly? :?

malaki parking space kahit eroplano pa dalhin mo! hehehehe
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline silentspring

• Veteran Member
« Reply #658 on: February 09, 2007, 01:27:34 AM »
dont worry bro...everything is in the works..have patience..the BAMFx website will be up before you know it.

Ayos!   :-o

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #659 on: February 09, 2007, 01:29:12 AM »
dominant_chord -- thanks for helping me order the scalarizers.  let me know kung kailan puwedeng i-swap yung sobrang crystal sa metal kapag may stock na.  kung mahabol ng 2/25, sige.  kung hindi, sauli ko na lang yung sobrang crystal

bamf -- have you tried this on a bass guitar?  if so, anong effect?

• Veteran Member
« Reply #660 on: February 09, 2007, 01:33:29 AM »

its not too metal sounding, it has that midrange hump that everyone wants minus the shart treble sound...  its good for the genre you prefer.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #661 on: February 09, 2007, 01:34:14 AM »

stratboy talkin' les paul  :wink:

parking is more than adequate. my dad had a tree destroyed to accommodate vehicles in the courtyard. it'll fit a cessna or two  :wink:

here's another look at the two models:

crystal- vintage
metal- modern

although the "metal" name may imply "heavy metal", it is not all that can do. metal will add sparkle and clarity to your lp, and a sweet midrange. but (a huge BUT) the best way to know which is suited to your guitar is to try them. scalarizers like to choose the guitars themselves  :wink:

eg: i suggested to a customer who walked in with an old yamaha super rock n roller strat a metal scalarizer, as his guitar had a maple neck and ash body, parts equating (using conventional logic) that crystal may make it too bright.

we tried both.

and much to everybody's surprise, the crystal totally jived with it! weird, but, the scalarizer does not follow "conventional" logic, thus, the crack in the egg. he came home pleased, and i'm sure slet tight at night.

he scalarizer is a funny creature.

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #662 on: February 09, 2007, 01:37:20 AM »
dominant_chord -- thanks for helping me order the scalarizers.  let me know kung kailan puwedeng i-swap yung sobrang crystal sa metal kapag may stock na.  kung mahabol ng 2/25, sige.  kung hindi, sauli ko na lang yung sobrang crystal

for bamf:

yes, we tried it on a bass, it was Deacon Blues vintage tokai j-bass. it was mentioned here somewhere (it'll be a cumbersome search now!)

effect- a BIGGER sound! more pop, more sizzle, more presence, more body.

dominant_chord messed with it  :wink: he'll do a better review

Ron Kirn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #663 on: February 09, 2007, 01:38:04 AM »
dominant_chord -- thanks for helping me order the scalarizers.  let me know kung kailan puwedeng i-swap yung sobrang crystal sa metal kapag may stock na.  kung mahabol ng 2/25, sige.  kung hindi, sauli ko na lang yung sobrang crystal

bamf -- have you tried this on a bass guitar?  if so, anong effect?

sent you a PM

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #664 on: February 09, 2007, 01:39:18 AM »

for bamf:

yes, we tried it on a bass, it was Deacon Blues vintage tokai j-bass. it was mentioned here somewhere (it'll be a cumbersome search now!)

cool.  which did you use - metal or crystal?

• Veteran Member
« Reply #665 on: February 09, 2007, 01:57:25 AM »
dominant_chord -- thanks for helping me order the scalarizers.  let me know kung kailan puwedeng i-swap yung sobrang crystal sa metal kapag may stock na.  kung mahabol ng 2/25, sige.  kung hindi, sauli ko na lang yung sobrang crystal

bamf -- have you tried this on a bass guitar?  if so, anong effect?

for bamf:

cool.  which did you use - metal or crystal?

when it comes to basses im much of a funk bass fan ..more on slapping and at times bass soloing ala victor wooten( mangarap ba...)

i tried Tinnie's Tokai Jazz Bass and got the surprise of my life when  we had it equipped with a metal core. I'm very meticulous when it comes to the bass sound...it has to have enough sparkle and midrange punch for me to consider it as a good bass, and deacon_blues'  low note machine blew me away with its magnanimous sound. its was pefect for funk and jazz and actually everything in between...what made it more attractive in terms of tone was the power punch..the thump was powerful enough to knock u off ur feet. up to now i still want to have a bass that sounds like that...so far tinnie's bass passed my standards with flying colors...and a summa cum laude distinction for that matter.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #666 on: February 09, 2007, 05:33:38 AM »

Okay okay, stop there. The scalarizer is good, but it's not God. ;)

Just to give you an idea. I have a 335 copy with a crystal version of the unit and for some strange reason, I hear more of the wood in my guitar. Somehow the pickup-wood level ratio got balanced. If you're into that type of sound, then by all means try out a scalarizer unit of your choice. And like I always say, if you don't like it, it's just as easy to take it out. Simple. :)

BAMFwhores Anton and Elmo: Sorry I wasn't able to go there last Saturday - had a date with the significant bother. Pag hindi ko sinamahan yun, mapa-punk rock ako nun :D
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline feraskulio

« Reply #667 on: February 09, 2007, 11:06:50 AM »
Just had my two v's metalized last nyt. Kewl it bought out the vintage in the solid body v with gibson pup and gave a decent tone to the dean v.  Di na sya muddy sa low end khit mataas ang gain. Thanks BAMF!!!

Offline reckless boy

« Reply #668 on: February 09, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
gusto ko magpalagay pero nahihiya ako kasi hindi ako mashado magaling, nakakahiya pag nagpalagay pa ako eh bano naman ako :|

dude, this isn't even an issue.   :-) what's important is everyone will have a chance to have a greater-sounding guitar.

ambabait nilang lahat dun (i was there yesterday - and sirs Jobet, Elmo and Anton (?) were there, in addition to a handful of customers).  had my '51 squier scalarized - met and crystal.  bought an LP-type toggle switch so I can toggle between met, crystal, and crystal met.  pinabutasan ko na yun control plate para ma accommodate yun switch.  mejo nagkaproblema nung una lang dahil di magkasya sa cavity yun switch at dalawang scalarizer, so konting tabas here and there si sir BAMF and finally napagkasya.

results? good side: now i can hear this guitar when playing with the band (before, i hardly used this for rehearsals and gigs, as it tends to get drowned out by the other instruments).  no one has been able to successfully describe the effect here in almost 50 pages of replies, and 'sparkly' would just have to be an approximation.  though i haven't had the time to do a thorough examination, preliminaries showed a lot of promise.  basta, as everyone here says, you gotta test it for yourself.

bad side: one of the scalarizers (i don't know which one actually hehe, probably the met) seemed to be too bright and sharp for my tastes.  but that's just a personal preference.  plus there's a bit of a grounding issue that surfaced post installation, but that can easily be remedied.

overall, panalo.  salamat sir BAMF and all the dudes at BAMFx.  You guys rock, more power to you!

Sir Jobet, if there's anything i can help you with, please don't hesitate to call or PM.  Thanks ulet!!!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #669 on: February 09, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
Yes attorney ! There's a lot of legal help that BAMFx could use right now.

But on the fun side...would you like to join PIMP as Asst. Corporate Secretary ? :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #670 on: February 09, 2007, 12:15:05 PM »
hahahaha. naudlot na naman ako. will be there on monday instead. sana.....
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
« Reply #671 on: February 09, 2007, 12:18:30 PM »
had my guitar scalarized again,
bale switching metal/crystal.
parang panibagong set of pickups!
much more satisfied than ever! ^^

oo nga, xelalien... pas share kung papaano... di ko mapagana yung switch ko eh.  :oops:

oo nga.. pano pag switching? bubutasan gitara para sa toggle switch? o dun parin sa tone selector?  :?

patulong naman.. baka kasi papalagyan ko rin ng metal yung gitara kong may crystal na eh..  :? :mrgreen: :?

try this one using a pushpull pot selecting between metal/crystal. nga lang pahirapan bumili ng pushpull. i find this one as non intrusive. you can change the position of the scalarizer and jack/switch the to your own preference. your comments are highly appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:22:46 PM by sigjoys »
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline reckless boy

« Reply #672 on: February 09, 2007, 12:50:26 PM »

But on the fun side...would you like to join PIMP as Asst. Corporate Secretary ? :D

surely!  let me know when you want to meet or discuss anything.   :-D

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #673 on: February 09, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »

we're actually planning to have an incorporators meeting today or 2moro. is it possible for you to come over?
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline reckless boy

« Reply #674 on: February 09, 2007, 01:13:14 PM »

we're actually planning to have an incorporators meeting today or 2moro. is it possible for you to come over?

sorry sir, out ako today.  work til 7, tapos report for duty muna sa kumander hehehe.

i'll make myself available tomorrow, afternoon po sana dahil may gig kami bukas sa 6UG (9pm) at Sharky's (11pm).