hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread  (Read 256926 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #750 on: February 13, 2007, 11:37:37 AM »
@Al - Glad you finally took the "Nestea plunge."  Kita mo, naunaha mo pa ko?!  ;-)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #751 on: February 13, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »
Unaha pala 'to!  :-D
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #752 on: February 13, 2007, 12:51:57 PM »

Di naman sir aya... private joke po un para kay Al. ;-)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #753 on: February 13, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »
Al, I personally didn't hear and identify the differences right after they put it in. But after trying it out at home with a valve amp, there was something drastically different. I typically give up playing the guitar after 3 hours due to ear fatigue (I play with the channel volume at 10 and master at 5) but after installing the thing, I never experienced it again even after playing four 4 or 5 hours. It could be that the scalarizer really takes out some of the harsh elements, or alernatively, I just happen to quit playing way before the fatigue sets in, hehehe. :) Either way, it's a good thing.
i could actually hear a little difference between stock and scalarized (as well as series/parallel vs single). but between metal and crystal, i'm still pretty stumped. the crystal by itself was the last one we tested, so i opted for that one to stay for the moment.

sir aya is probably right. i'll have an easier time listening at lower volumes later tonight.

@Al - Glad you finally took the "Nestea plunge."  Kita mo, naunaha mo pa ko?!  ;-)
Hehehehe.

It wouldn't hurt to buy a sample or two, I guess.

Ang lapit ng bahay ni psychic_sushi dun sa pinagpapagawaan ko ng printer. And I had business in Diliman (yeah, I know, still a bit far according to some standards). So, ayun, I had a good opportunity to pay a visit.

I really like his home studio.

Besides, I don't want to be like that hypocrite around here. I don't want to either rant or rave about things I really don't know anything about like some spoiled kid who's barely into puberty.  :-D
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #754 on: February 13, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »
It doesn't alter the electronics actually, as it also affects the wood. It can be considered a passive device, as it does not have electronically circuitry. it sources its power from the woods resonance, and an itsy-bitsy bit from the pick ups. whereas, preamps (or most of them) have to be juiced by a a battery.

:-)

psychic_sushi -- if it works "with" the wood, then will the effect on tone change as the wood ages/changes over time?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #755 on: February 13, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
Al,

At the risk of sounding like tooting my own horn (or blowing my own [sausage] hahehehe), I did hear a marked difference between the stock and metal scalarized from the get-go. Your guitar is gorgeous aesthetically, and very ballsy sounding, stock.

When we connected the metal scalarizer, it sounded ballsy AND sparkly with a cutting midrange presence. Not really day and night difference as what happens when we scalarize [gooey brown stuff] guitars, but it was there. I was even kinda worried because if you already like your bill lawrence pickups to bits, you might opt to remove the scalarizer. Try disconnecting the scalarizer and listening again. I'm quite certain that the difference will not escape you.

BB,

I've given the pricing matter a lot of thought. A long time ago I guess, but maybe a better response to the matter is in order.

Keeley charges $70 for his mods. Arguably, I've already hit a spot where my DS-1 mods sound better than his. His only real advantage being Steve Vai and Satriani. But everyone I've talked to who has a keeley modded DS-1 found the bakemono and sushimods better. Heck, I have a local Keeley-modded DS-1 on my table right now, waiting to be Bakemonoéd. :D.

And from experience in my other businesses, buyers fall into that "you get what you pay for" trap.  Literally, if it's cheap, they think it's da [gooey brown stuff]. And they notice the thing and desire it more if it stings the wallet. Boston pedals are perfect examples of the contradiction to this flawed maxim. They have superior parts and better builds, and more features than the pedals they emulate, and at a fourth of the price to boot. But had they not been discussed extensively here at Philmusic, those items would still be thought of as da [gooey brown stuff] just like the many cheap-er pedals that preceded it.

Besides, to the Americans, USD$35-$40 is nothing. It's gasoline money. It's a night at a bar with friends. A cheap bar at that. It's two long taxi rides. How much would they pay for tone ?

My only promise to the Philmusic community : it will never be priced more than P1000. The pending price increase isn't even about greed. It's to prevent or at least minimize any black market exportation of the thing to the detriment of the legitimate international distributors. 

So there. For the Philippines, pricing will be only within the range of USD$15 to USD$20.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #756 on: February 13, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »
really, this thing is hard to explain, it is better felt. Al Librero just had his ultra-fantastic custom axe scalarized. (damn, that guitar was hot! Bill and Becky Lawrence loaded)
bamf, sushi and dominant chord,
it was nice meeting you guys.

it's a little too bad that i was already tired when i came in (nagkamali pa ako ng bahay na unang pinuntahan. hahaha). my hands were a bit shaky and my ears were struggling to evaluate the tones from the different configurations we tested. i could, however, some differences already. i'll comment on these gizmos in detail after i've spent enough time playing and listening through my own setup.

jobet, i'm sorry i couldn't take you up on that offer to lend me a pair of your specially-potted pickups. i actually have the perfect test guitar for it, but Jun and I have to be assemble it first. i'll ask Jun to start working on it. i'll come back for the pickups if they're still not in someone else's guitar by then. thanks again.

Al, I personally didn't hear and identify the differences right after they put it in. But after trying it out at home with a valve amp, there was something drastically different. I typically give up playing the guitar after 3 hours due to ear fatigue (I play with the channel volume at 10 and master at 5) but after installing the thing, I never experienced it again even after playing four 4 or 5 hours. It could be that the scalarizer really takes out some of the harsh elements, or alernatively, I just happen to quit playing way before the fatigue sets in, hehehe. :) Either way, it's a good thing.

... ummm... suggestion lang po... you might wanna try practising at a lower volume. That might help too.  :-)

I know, I know. I've been really particular about ear care but this amp just sings at those volumes. Haaay. I need an attenuator. Thanks AY!
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #757 on: February 13, 2007, 02:04:33 PM »
Al,

At the risk of sounding like tooting my own horn (or blowing my own [sausage] hahehehe), I did hear a marked difference between the stock and metal scalarized from the get-go. Your guitar is gorgeous aesthetically, and very ballsy sounding, stock.

When we connected the metal scalarizer, it sounded ballsy AND sparkly with a cutting midrange presence. Not really day and night difference as what happens when we scalarize [gooey brown stuff] guitars, but it was there. I was even kinda worried because if you already like your bill lawrence pickups to bits, you might opt to remove the scalarizer. Try disconnecting the scalarizer and listening again. I'm quite certain that the difference will not escape you.
I can't deny the fact that there is a difference between stock and scalarized. I was just too fatigued to fully grasp it. The crystal variant brought out a subtle added brightness (yes, a bit of sparkle as well) to the sound which I liked. I'll get back to the guitar later and listen more intently before I go about it in the forum in greater detail.

at the very least, i want to find a way to make the scalarizer switchable. it's gonna be tough without having to drill a new hole though, as you know.

by the way, have you tried wiring both scalarized and stock in parallel? naisip ko lang on the way home. hehehe.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #758 on: February 13, 2007, 02:07:54 PM »
I need push-pull pots for scalarizer switching.  How about the others?  May gusto ba umorder?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #759 on: February 14, 2007, 12:08:28 AM »
Stock and scalarized in parallel ? Well, if you do it with a wire, that configuration will bypass the scalarizer and turn it off.

But I guess a 10 ohm or so resistor in parallel with the scalarizer is the way to go. That way, about half of the signal coming in will be stock, direct from the pickups.

That's a great idea Al ! We'll try that sometime.

Skunky, I got a 500kohm push-pull sa audiophile paco. Baka meron pa.

Al,

I can't deny the fact that there is a difference between stock and scalarized. I was just too fatigued to fully grasp it. The crystal variant brought out a subtle added brightness (yes, a bit of sparkle as well) to the sound which I liked. I'll get back to the guitar later and listen more intently before I go about it in the forum in greater detail.

at the very least, i want to find a way to make the scalarizer switchable. it's gonna be tough without having to drill a new hole though, as you know.

by the way, have you tried wiring both scalarized and stock in parallel? naisip ko lang on the way home. hehehe.

Offline silentspring

• Veteran Member
« Reply #760 on: February 14, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »
....So there. For the Philippines, pricing will be only within the range of USD$15 to USD$20.

Sir BAMF, effective na po ba yung bagong pricing niyo ngayon ?  :oops:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #761 on: February 14, 2007, 01:04:10 AM »
Not yet. :D .

Offline Targa_midbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #762 on: February 14, 2007, 01:50:31 AM »
teka lang antayin moko bamf bago ka magtaas ng presyo, pinapalagpas ko lang valentines magpapascalarize din ako :lol: wala pa ako pera, valentine's eh :lol: :lol: :lol:
paano mapipigil ang isang damdamin
kung ang sinisigaw, ikaw ang lahat sa ahakin!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #763 on: February 14, 2007, 01:55:01 AM »
Sige lang po. It will take a while before packaging is finalized. :D

Offline Targa_midbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #764 on: February 14, 2007, 02:01:39 AM »
onga pala sir meron ako "denio metal rocker" and its absolutely useless. could you make it sound like a marshall or mesa or any good rock amp? pwede ba 'to i-mod?  :-D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #765 on: February 14, 2007, 02:08:49 AM »
Hey! Also got one of those. Hmmm...come to think of it, I haven't touched it yet.

Baka nga...could be a diamond in the raw !

Offline Targa_midbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #766 on: February 14, 2007, 02:12:07 AM »
ayus! i'll bring it along with my guitar pag nagpascalarize na. :-D thanks sir! :-)

Offline silentspring

• Veteran Member
« Reply #767 on: February 14, 2007, 02:45:32 AM »
Not yet. :D .

phew!  :-)  sana makapunta na ko sa Sabado!  :-D

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #768 on: February 14, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »
Have I mentioned how wonderful my Bamf'ed-up 62ri strat sounds to me?  :-D

Ewan ko kung nabanggit ko na dati ito: the guitar seems to get my amps to push more air. Pwede sya maging mahirap i-control pag mataas ang volume kasi biglang tumatalon yung notes especially double- or triple-stops. But, again, it forces me to focus on my playing technique. Pag nahanap mo na yung kiliti e mabilis naman ang payoff. The guitar is more responsive and dynamics are more dramatic.

Fafa, pahingi ng stickers! Kabit ko sa pedals!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:27:39 AM by micr0chimp »

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #769 on: February 14, 2007, 11:27:52 AM »

Di naman sir aya... private joke po un para kay Al. ;-)

Sir ka diyan. Aya lang. :-)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #770 on: February 14, 2007, 11:32:29 AM »
Uy! May BAMFx stickers na ba???!!! Ayus!  :-D

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #771 on: February 14, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »
wala pa nga daw e.  :x i want my stickers! hahahahaha!

and buttons! i want buttons for my bamf'ed guitars' straps!  :-D

Offline lowie82ph

• Netizen Level
« Reply #772 on: February 14, 2007, 11:48:22 AM »
saan pa po pwede i-avail yung scalarizer na malapit sa makati?  :-)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #773 on: February 14, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
saan pa po pwede i-avail yung scalarizer na malapit sa makati?  :-)

sa mga taga south contact nyo si micsis pero kung ok naman kaw makapunta ng qc... ang instructions nasa sig ni BAMF
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #774 on: February 14, 2007, 01:31:47 PM »
pwede pa ba pakabitan pa ng metal scalarizer ang guitar na may crystal scalarizer?