hulika

Author Topic: Steve Smith, past or present..  (Read 2306 times)

Offline toybitz

Steve Smith, past or present..
« on: September 28, 2007, 01:49:20 AM »
I kinda love the old Steve before he went to learn from Freddie.

...Journey and the old Vital Info days...

ngayon kasi, IMHO, para na siyang makina.

sarap panoorin yes. pero, hindi na ako namomove eh.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: Steve Smith, past or present..
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 02:26:36 AM »
Whether old-school Steve or modern-day Steve, I just love Steve Smith.  He's simply one of the best all-around drummers ever.  He's a huge inspiration.

In my opinion, I think he has reached this very high level of mastery which is attainable only by a handful of special drummers.  He's so good, he must be capable of choosing to play either like a robot or as a very human drummer with an oh-so good sense of feel, depending on the musical situation.  I admire his sense of history, as reflected on his instructional video.  The fact that he's so devoted to his craft and so open to learning and further developing his talents and skills, he's just gonna keep on getting better and better.

I love his playing with Journey.  I was able to watch a vintage concert video of Journey (circa 1981 or 1983), and wow, he was already awesome back in the day.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:30:23 AM by drumster »

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »
i like steve smith dun sa Frank Gambale concert with class with ric fierabracci

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:33:02 AM »
I kinda love the old Steve before he went to learn from Freddie.

...Journey and the old Vital Info days...

ngayon kasi, IMHO, para na siyang makina.

sarap panoorin yes. pero, hindi na ako namomove eh.

I have to dis agree with this....

I think Steve has improved a lot...

And I think that he still is as tastey as he was years ago....

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:41:39 AM »
I have to dis agree with this....

I think Steve has improved a lot...

And I think that he still is as tastey as he was years ago....

improvement wasn't my concern Bro. of course, he has way much better technique after the lessons and continues to as the man is dedicated to the instrument, but imo,...nagbago yun feel. kinda like.. a robot playing.

In my opinion, I think he has reached this very high level of mastery which is attainable only by a handful of special drummers.  He's so good, he must be capable of choosing to play either like a robot or as a very human drummer with an oh-so good sense of feel,

but since then, I could only see and hear his robot side.

but I have no gripes. I am very amused and inspired as well.

but I feel, he was more "emotional" in the old days..and I prefer that.

contrary to Steve...is Dave Weckl.  Who developed more emotion after his Gruber training.  So that I was a huge fan of Dave before and even a bigger fan nowadays.

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:21:59 AM »
I guess with a band like Journey, whose style of rock music is powerful, spirited and full of emotions, Steve needs to really lay out the feel-good factor and the proper emotions for the songs.

Steve admitted on one interview that he used to be a jazz snob during his younger years.  It's cool that for a jazzer, he was able to pull it off.  And I recall him mentioning in the interview that his stint with Journey was a great learning experience for him.

Offline stiknstone

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »
I love steve smith especially when it comes to hi-hat!.. :-o

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »
ang nagbago kay steve smith yung tunog,though syempre nag improved din talaga yung chops nya. personally mas gusto ko yung tunog nya dati yung video nyang part 1&2.

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »
steve's ride and snare licks... are so... so... evil!!!!

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »
improvement wasn't my concern Bro. of course, he has way much better technique after the lessons and continues to as the man is dedicated to the instrument, but imo,...nagbago yun feel. kinda like.. a robot playing.

His feel has not changed a bit but now he does more complicated stuff pero ganun parin ang pakiramdam...

I have old and new Steve Smith recordings he is still as tastey today as he was before just judge his playing within the context of what type of music he is playing in....

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 11:15:36 PM »
His feel has not changed a bit but now he does more complicated stuff pero ganun parin ang pakiramdam...

I have old and new Steve Smith recordings he is still as tastey today as he was before just judge his playing within the context of what type of music he is playing in....

dude, meron din ako...magkaiba lang tayo brother.

iba na yun dating sa akin ni Steve eh.

In my own way, I can tell there's a difference in his feel.  kun playing ang paguusapan, of course malaki binago. mas magaling siya ngayon. Natatakot ako sa technique niya.

I guess with a band like Journey, whose style of rock music is powerful, spirited and full of emotions, Steve needs to really lay out the feel-good factor and the proper emotions for the songs.

Steve admitted on one interview that he used to be a jazz snob during his younger years.  It's cool that for a jazzer, he was able to pull it off.  And I recall him mentioning in the interview that his stint with Journey was a great learning experience for him.

I love Vitalive so much Drumster...sobrang ganda.  it stayed for weeks in my player nun dumating yun cd sakin couple of years ago.  don't you just wish there's a video of that?