hulika

Author Topic: Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you...  (Read 114563 times)

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you...
« Reply #625 on: March 30, 2013, 02:42:13 AM »
ibanez guitars ... i do not like the shape, i find its tone really bland, and when i meet someone who is an ibanez fan, they usually are wankers.

80s Ibanezes (Ibani?) make more sense to me than these recent ones.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #626 on: March 30, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
ibanez guitars ... i do not like the shape, i find its tone really bland, and when i meet someone who is an ibanez fan, they usually are wankers.

The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez offsets looked really cool though.

Offline IncX

« Reply #627 on: March 30, 2013, 02:47:12 AM »

oh yah, the 80's ones were cool... especially the MIJ stuff that arent RG-shaped. i always associate ibanez with kupaw metal and self indulgent guitarists. thats just me though. i am obviously not a fan of steve vai

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #628 on: March 30, 2013, 02:48:06 AM »
The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez offsets looked really cool though.

They do AND they're in 24" but I didn't really like how the rest of the Jet King line felt. Dealbreaker sakin yung single pickup format though. The new Ibanez Roadcore line feels nice. Haven't tried them plugged in though. Sana the pickups are better. The model hearkens back to my favorite era for Ibanez. I honestly wish they stuck to the Ric-inspired originals lang din. Man, that original Roadstar was great.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #629 on: March 30, 2013, 03:19:02 AM »
They do AND they're in 24" but I didn't really like how the rest of the Jet King line felt. Dealbreaker sakin yung single pickup format though. The new Ibanez Roadcore line feels nice. Haven't tried them plugged in though. Sana the pickups are better. The model hearkens back to my favorite era for Ibanez. I honestly wish they stuck to the Ric-inspired originals lang din. Man, that original Roadstar was great.

Yeah, the scale length had vintage jag all over it. I've watched somewhere that ORL used .13's tuned in standard so he could punish the guitar while still staying in tune. He's one of the few guitar players out there with that single pick-up format on their signature guitar, which puts him in the ranks of Frederik Thordendal and vintage Eddie Van Halen LOL. I kid.
The Roadcore looks nice, somehow the aesthetics remind me of a tamed version of a Schecter Ultracure.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #630 on: March 30, 2013, 03:30:10 AM »
On that tangent, I don't like single-pickup guitars with no tone knob. >:C
Offset guitars for life.

Offline sheepsmellslikeseashells

« Reply #631 on: March 30, 2013, 03:38:32 AM »
First of all, what's with the aggression? I'd like to ask where you got the idea that I have that kind of amp. AFAIK, the title of the thread is "Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you.." - there were no indications that you had to own the stuff before posting here. That's taking my one sentence wildly out of context. And you even brought in FM55. I shudder at the thought.
I have nothing against your question earlier or any sort of aggression. In fact, it was an honest inquiry of what i thought i need to learn from you guys who, to my understanding of your remarks, had already experienced trying Dumble amps.

There's a saying, "you can not give what you do not have". Joey Puyat, despite owning several hundreds of thousands Pesos worth of home audio equipment, even told Arie Hipolito, "hindi mo malalaman ang totoong tunog ni Derek Trucks hangga't hindi mo pa siya mapapanood ng live". ...the reason why i asked about your reviews with the said amp is because, *again* to my understanding, you yourself had already tried Dumble amps based on what you said earlier. Now, it is already a given that Dumble amps are ridiculously overpriced boutique gear. But, to regard of it as 'crap' is something that should be based on first hand experiences by yourself. So, having said that & since you yourself said that you never/"don't have to" own one, i think it's just unfair to label such piece of gear as 'crap' if the only basis of your remark was the price tag. That's just plain nasty.

I thought of bringing in FM55's name because he only makes a remark/review based on his first hand experiences, be it favorable or not. I have nothing against him. Despite having already met him only twice, i don't really see anything wrong with his claims. In fact, I've learned a lot from him: what to do, what not to do, & to invest on the best possible gear you can afford. ...so, with regards to my inquiry on your remark, i'm equally coming from the same angle as i was when i'd listen to FM55.

I never said nor implied that I had experience using them. Looking at their ridiculous price tag and listening to youtube demos is enough to regard them with disdain although a lot of players seem to consider them the holy grail of amps. I disagree.
So, if what we're discussing here are all second hand information & sometimes even copy-pasted write-ups from other forums, then what are we arguing about, in the first place? Since, none of us both had either heard or (AT LEAST) personally seen a Dumble amp, anyway.

You're barking at the wrong tree.
In fact, based on your response, there NEVER really was a proverbial tree to bark at in the first place. ...but, at least, we still have this one:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:21:06 AM by sheepsmellslikeseashells »

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #632 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48:42 AM »
what type of elixir are you using? baka polyweb ang gamit mo hence the flat sound as it is "emulating" the tone of a used string. kung gusto mo brillo ang sound, go for the nanowebs.

I used nanowebs all the way. I really avoided polyweb.
So my observation is with the nanowebs.

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #633 on: March 30, 2013, 04:16:56 AM »
I have nothing against your question earlier or any sort of aggression. In fact, it was an honest inquiry of what i thought i need to learn from you guys who, to my understanding of your remarks, had already experienced trying Dumble amps.

Try working more on your understanding then, because I only said this:

Dumble amps and other ridiculously overpriced boutique crap.

in response of the question posed by the title of the thread: "Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you"

I'm a pretty straightforward person so take that statement at face value. Nothing more, nothing less.

However, I apologize, since I've never really subscribed to the philosophy that one has to hear and try out things first-hand before judging it. Call me plebeian, I neither have the time nor cash for that, especially the latter. I make do with that I have, but seek out facts as objectively as possible. No bias. No magic or other [gooey brown stuff]. Hence, sound demos of the actual thing. You may point out that the sound and tonal quality isn't preserved through those and you're probably right, still that doesn't change the fact that I didn't like what I've heard and I feel that it doesn't deserve its price tag. This isn't sourgraping since I desire some pretty expensive gear myself, like the Axe-FX. It's just a matter of preference.

Personally, I'd rather play a crappy guitar in a room full of people who could connect with that I do, than play alone in a room with all the best gear in the world (though that doesn't sound bad). The same may not apply to another. To each his own happy place, I guess.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #634 on: March 30, 2013, 04:41:04 AM »
Try working more on your understanding then, because I only said this:

in response of the question posed by the title of the thread: "Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you"

I'm a pretty straightforward person so take that statement at face value. Nothing more, nothing less.

However, I apologize, since I've never really subscribed to the philosophy that one has to hear and try out things first-hand before judging it. Call me plebeian, I neither have the time nor cash for that, especially the latter. I make do with that I have, but seek out facts as objectively as possible. No bias. No magic or other [gooey brown stuff]. Hence, sound demos of the actual thing. You may point out that the sound and tonal quality isn't preserved through those and you're probably right, still that doesn't change the fact that I didn't like what I've heard and I feel that it doesn't deserve its price tag. This isn't sourgraping since I desire some pretty expensive gear myself, like the Axe-FX. It's just a matter of preference.

Personally, I'd rather play a crappy guitar in a room full of people who could connect with that I do, than play alone in a room with all the best gear in the world (though that doesn't sound bad). The same may not apply to another. To each his own happy place, I guess.

So, if you take things at face value and not its actual live sound & feel, does it make you nothing more or nothing less credible?  I do agree with you that there are expensive things (quite a number) out there that are NOT worth it, but there are ALSO expensive things that really are worth it and sound GREAT.  But I only make that call after trying it out...

That being said, I also make gear purchases that I don't get to try or even see for that matter because I rely on some experts to make the choice for me.  Case in point, though I got to see my Gil Yaron being made, at every important step wherein Gil Yaron had to assess the character and sound of the guitar, I totally did not get to hear it.  But it still turns out to be one of the best sounding Les Paul replicas ever and it was worth the price tag.

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #635 on: March 30, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »
So, if you take things at face value and not its actual live sound & feel, does it make you nothing more or nothing less credible? 

By face value, I meant the essence of my first statement. It was a simple declaration, but apparently some people arrived at a fast conclusion that I owned/played the said amp. And I've never claimed to be an expert in terms of gear, I was merely giving an honest opinion based from the available samples I was able to analyze.
Granted the proper resources, it's common sense that trying out stuff itself would be the best approach to properly appraise an item (especially if you have an intention to buy it) and I completely agree with you on that one. It might even shed positive light on my opinion. It definitely would be fun.
But as I have said earlier, I can't really apply that to certain boutique stuff like the Dumble that I have no access to - again, this isn't a case of sour-graping. Curiosity led me to seek out how those stuff sounded like, so I went for the next best and accessible method (for me) and I was able to reach a personal vindication for my claim.
Listening to samples as objectively as I could, it didn't really impress me and the price tag offended me. Which is why I don't like it... and the next thing I knew, I was in this thread.

Again, I neither present nor strive for expert gear credibility. I cannot stress this enough. I'm just a guy speaking out his mind.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:30:40 AM by shoegazer »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #636 on: March 30, 2013, 05:52:17 AM »
By face value, I meant the essence of my first statement. It was a simple declaration, but apparently some people arrived at a fast conclusion that I owned/played the said amp. And I've never claimed to be an expert in terms of gear, I was merely giving an honest opinion based from the available samples I was able to analyze.
Granted the proper resources, it's common sense that trying out stuff itself would be the best approach to properly appraise an item (especially if you have an intention to buy it) and I completely agree with you on that one. It might even shed positive light on my opinion. It definitely would be fun.
But as I have said earlier, I can't really apply that to certain boutique stuff like the Dumble that I have no access to - again, this isn't a case of sour-graping. Curiosity led me to seek out how those stuff sounded like, so I went for the next best and accessible method (for me) and I was able to reach a personal vindication for my claim.
Listening to samples as objectively as I could, it didn't really impress me and the price tag offended me. Which is why I don't like it... and the next thing I knew, I was in this thread.

Again, I neither present nor strive for expert gear credibility. I cannot stress this enough. I'm just a guy speaking out his mind.

Very sound approach that I can understand.  Just a tip, though soundclips are not conclusive.  Not even a basis to write something off though.  Amps can do more than one setting for a clip. Way much more unlike guitars which more or less have one setting unless you have a responsive volume control on the guitar.

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #637 on: March 30, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »

shoegazer, I never assumed that you have played/owned a Dumble. Obviously, I was being sarcastic. I just find it unreasonable to judge an instrument without even trying or hearing it in person.

Offline elfenliedagain

« Reply #638 on: March 30, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
I don't like Tubescreamers. Glassy ain't mah thang  :-P

... I prefer the Boss SD-1.

BTW, slow clap kay sir Firemodel55  :cute:

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #639 on: March 30, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
shoegazer, I never assumed that you have played/owned a Dumble. Obviously, I was being sarcastic. I just find it unreasonable to judge an instrument without even trying or hearing it in person.

I am aware about your sarcasm - I've acknowledged that when I first replied to you. I felt your initial reply (which hinted aggression on my part) was quite uncalled for since I was just voicing out an opinion.

You have your standards and I have my own, it just so happens that I've come up to the conclusion that I don't need to play with a Dumble for me to proclaim that I dislike it - I've already given a myriad of my own reasons, not secondhand arguments stolen from youtube comments or other forums as you were trying to imply earlier, for clarity and validation of my claims.

Yes, you might find that unreasonable, but it is my personal belief that there are many factors out there aside from trying it out yourself that can determine whether a piece of gear is likable or not. A lot of people might not agree with me on this one, but I make do with this. However, I respect your decision to be as objective as possible by obtaining first-hand experience before passing judgement to an instrument. Just understand that not everyone out there are hardcore tone-hounds to go that far to judge legendary boutique items that are inaccessible through conventional means. IMHO, the internet provides a compromise.

That said, I found the Youtube video quite amusing, though. It seems like I've violated every rule they threw around LOL.

Before I forget, I'd like to extend my apologies to firemodel55. This is one of the cases where I agree to everything he had just said. 

I end my ramblings and further participation on the discussion regarding this matter with this. Take in to context what you like.

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #640 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
mesa v twin. naasar lang ako ginagamit pang blues nagtunog shredder tuloy lol.
zenduko drive = tunog ngongo
no pic, no advise...

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #641 on: September 05, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »
MT-2 ?  :-P
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #642 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »
Any V-shaped guitar
Any reverse head guitar
Gold hardware
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline ibbyboy02

« Reply #643 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
Guitars with no fret markers on fretboard.
e.g. Ibanez Iron Labels

Paradigm Shift

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #644 on: September 05, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
GY and JG custom guitars.

Hindi ko kasi afford kaya pilit kong ipinapasok sa kukote ko na ayaw ko sa kanila.   :eek:

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #645 on: September 05, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
Gold hardware

hahaha true
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #646 on: September 05, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »
Gold hardware

hahaha true

This one, depende sa gitara...  May LPs at semihollows na bagay ang gold hardware, IMHOU. 

Offline jannten

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #647 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
modulations(phaser,flanger,chorus)
pati delay nadin. :D
or dahil di ako marunong gumamit ng delay.

ewan ko. gusto ko clean/overdriven/fuzz lang.

''I want raw in your face sound'' - Marty Friedman - Megadeth

Offline paltic

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #648 on: September 05, 2013, 10:57:14 PM »
jazzmasters because of its stupid name and cellphones because of the lameass man-machine interdependence ...and  they have to be carried in everyone's pocket. how stupid is that?

oh yeah shoegaze as a genre instead of "effectsgaze" (its not counted, its not a gear)

ok. i retract everything

Offline dudeofdude

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #649 on: September 05, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
cellphones because of the lameass man-machine interdependence
THIS. i hate how it's now socially acceptable to have your face glued to a smartphone while talking to people, phones should be banned in inuman sessions!
hanggang ngayon hindi ko parin alam ang tunog ng ipis