hulika

Author Topic: Help! Mics and placement  (Read 1974 times)

Offline TheHunter

Help! Mics and placement
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:52:13 PM »
I have to record a drums what mics should I use and please suggest the placement. Drums is pretty basic, like one tom, one cymbals, snare, hihat and kick. I did my net browsing but I still can't figure it out what mic to use for the kick.

I owned these mics:

Condensers:
2 - MSH-1
2 - CAD M177
1 - MXL603
1 - MXL2001

Dynamic:
1 - SM58
1 - Sennheiser e935

Suggestion please!
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Help! Mics and placement
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:18:40 AM »
Based on what you have...

Try to mic your kit with only 4 mics.

a. 1 condenser just above the crash and hihats pointing towards the snare
b. 1 condenser around 2 feet away from the ride and 1 feet above the floor tom and pointing towards the snare also
c. use your SM58 mic inside the bass drum for the kick
d. another condenser mic around 1 1/2 feet away from the hole of your bass drum.

try this... :)

wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:38:19 PM »
may nakalimutan ka sam.

get a string then sukatin yung lenght from the mic to the snare. the same length ng string dapat yung from the snare to the other mic na mas mababa. :D

and pede din na wala na yung condenser dun sa tapat ng kick. mejo minimalistic lang :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:53:02 PM by xjepoyx »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:27:45 AM »
@Hawk, salamat! for your suggestion. BTW yung SM58 I did tried putting inside the bass drum last time at live but didn't work what I get was hum and feedback. I didn't tried in studio though. Any tip on how to position the SM58 inside the bass drums? The mic D is interesting I thought this might pick the up the punch.

@jepoy, yung string I remember that from my previous net reading. Thanks for reminding me.

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:50:21 AM »
yee NP sir, how do you mic your kick? as in pinapasok mo lang ba sa loob? if not mas ok... use a stand or goose neck if you have one..
yung hum na naririnig mo yung bass drum mismo un na nagreresonate, madalas nangyayari when one is using a mounted mic clip or just putting the mic inside the drum itself.

tutok mo lang sa beater, pag di parin OK yung tunog medyo i tilt mo lang hanggang makuha mo ung tunog na gusto mo..

kung itutuloy mo ung my condenser sa labas, pagawa ka ng reverse phase cable para dun sa sm58 baka magkaron ka ng phase issue

hope this helps :D yee!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:58:45 AM by moHaWk »
wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 11:40:32 PM »
Thanks! I will try and see what happen.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:18:58 PM »
kung itutuloy mo ung my condenser sa labas, pagawa ka ng reverse phase cable para dun sa sm58 baka magkaron ka ng phase issue

Check if your mixer or preamp has a phase reverse switch. If so, then the cable is not exactly needed.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 11:53:10 PM »
Check if your mixer or preamp has a phase reverse switch. If so, then the cable is not exactly needed.
Hmmm this is interesting I never tried the phase reverse. My mixer doesn't have phase reverse but my ART preamp does.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 11:57:35 PM »
The young Padawan is now a Jedi!

Yield!!! :D
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 12:09:08 AM »
Hmmm this is interesting I never tried the phase reverse. My mixer doesn't have phase reverse but my ART preamp does.

Only use the phase reverse if you are using 2 mics on a single source. Usually, when you mic the top and bottom of a snare, the bottom mic is usually phase reversed. Same with miking a kick drum, the mic at the pedal side is phase reversed.

Sometimes when using 2 mics on a common source (like in overhead miking of a drum set), it pays to check for phase cancellations by inverting the phase on one mic to see if certain frequencies get canceled out. Always use the 3:1 rule... the distance between 2 mics that are recording a common source should be 3 or more times the distance of the mic/s from the source.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 12:22:34 AM »
Only use the phase reverse if you are using 2 mics on a single source. Usually, when you mic the top and bottom of a snare, the bottom mic is usually phase reversed. Same with miking a kick drum, the mic at the pedal side is phase reversed.

Sometimes when using 2 mics on a common source (like in overhead miking of a drum set), it pays to check for phase cancellations by inverting the phase on one mic to see if certain frequencies get canceled out. Always use the 3:1 rule... the distance between 2 mics that are recording a common source should be 3 or more times the distance of the mic/s from the source.

Thanks @Kit! that's a lot of info here