hulika

Author Topic: Then and Now  (Read 33937 times)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: God gave me a D80, and then there was light....
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 03:33:21 AM »

nice subject.. and i love the bokeh!!!  :wink:

Thank kabsat. Im drinking one right now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:37:10 PM by pallas »
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: God gave me a D80, The devil made me do something else...
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 01:07:25 AM »

Havin fun out of the box :-D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline palmmuteboi

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 09:17:43 AM »
hi sir pallas.. i would like to give my opinion lang sir sana ok lang. im not a pro pero wala lang just my humble opinion. :) peace tau kapatid..

i agree with the previous comment mejo soft nga po some images. and yung sa son mo po na photo, gamit mo po dun 85mm 1.4? still slow?hmnn.. anu po settings nagamit nio po? shutter speed and aperture?

and btw nakakagas yang sb900 mu ahahaha demn....
Like us : facebook.com/Guitarispa
Subscribe : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuCgSf6rTrXcF7Z5eORMVYA

Offline tronixx42

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
lupit ng sb900 nyo sir, ako wa pa speedlight lang budget :lol:

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »
hi sir pallas.. i would like to give my opinion lang sir sana ok lang. im not a pro pero wala lang just my humble opinion. :) peace tau kapatid..

i agree with the previous comment mejo soft nga po some images. and yung sa son mo po na photo, gamit mo po dun 85mm 1.4? still slow?hmnn.. anu po settings nagamit nio po? shutter speed and aperture?

and btw nakakagas yang sb900 mu ahahaha demn....

Pag indoors tsaka di sila gumagalaw ok sya. But indoors with a kid and just trying to catch the moment...mahirap. Bump the iso or pop flash.

But if outdoors the lens is a rockstar.

At sb900 pinag-isipan kayang maigi....guitar gas or photo gas?

The SB900 won tsaka at least natuwa si kumander nung kinunan ko sya ng mga off flash portraits.
There is a very steep learning curve though coz wala akong alam sa flash photography.

The fun never ends. Thanks sa comments.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »
lupit ng sb900 nyo sir, ako wa pa speedlight lang budget :lol:

Ipon ipon lang, 4 months and walking on worn out shoes :lol:

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:22 PM »
Pag indoors tsaka di sila gumagalaw ok sya. But indoors with a kid and just trying to catch the moment...mahirap. Bump the iso or pop flash.

But if outdoors the lens is a rockstar.

At sb900 pinag-isipan kayang maigi....guitar gas or photo gas?

The SB900 won tsaka at least natuwa si kumander nung kinunan ko sya ng mga off flash portraits.
There is a very steep learning curve though coz wala akong alam sa flash photography.

The fun never ends. Thanks sa comments.
wag matakot to bump up your ISO hehe  :-D

Offline ihopethisnamecounts

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »
if i may add mga sirs..

f/1.4 has a very narrow DOF (around 1 inch on a subject 6 feet away) so sobrang daling mawala sa focus plane yung subject (like slight movements ng subject or kahit ng camera).. as for the focus tracking, i've had successes in shooting running pirates using the 85mm f/1.4 so i don't think slow sya (i have a d90 though but i think d80 is not that far off)..

IMHO, the cause of the "soft focus" in most of the pics is the slow shutter speed and not the focus.. yan din kasi napansin ko sa mga soft-focused shots ko, kadalasan mabagal ang shutter speed.. i agree dun sa rule of thumb na 1/focal length, actually the higher the better.. may mga noise reduction softwares naman e in case na-crank up masyado yung ISO..  :-D

also, you may be seeing more successes with the 50mm kasi 1/50 ang lumalabas na minimum shutter speed, compared to the 1/85 ng 85mm..

BTW, nice shots and congrats sa sb900! :)
"Whether I'm wrong or right, please keep my life in sight and never take Your eyes off me..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
if i may add mga sirs..

f/1.4 has a very narrow DOF (around 1 inch on a subject 6 feet away) so sobrang daling mawala sa focus plane yung subject (like slight movements ng subject or kahit ng camera).. as for the focus tracking, i've had successes in shooting running pirates using the 85mm f/1.4 so i don't think slow sya (i have a d90 though but i think d80 is not that far off)..

IMHO, the cause of the "soft focus" in most of the pics is the slow shutter speed and not the focus.. yan din kasi napansin ko sa mga soft-focused shots ko, kadalasan mabagal ang shutter speed.. i agree dun sa rule of thumb na 1/focal length, actually the higher the better.. may mga noise reduction softwares naman e in case na-crank up masyado yung ISO..  :-D

also, you may be seeing more successes with the 50mm kasi 1/50 ang lumalabas na minimum shutter speed, compared to the 1/85 ng 85mm..

BTW, nice shots and congrats sa sb900! :)

The lens mabilis sya pag outdoors at sufficient light. Mrs. on a joyride sa swing no problem only if i hadnt had my 2 year old jr. locked on my feet i would have had a better shot.

meron rin akong manual 50mm 1.4. now that is a joy to use pero masisiraan ka rin ng ulo pag 2 year old kinukunan mo.

Here are some shots with the 50.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »
With the 85 1.4.

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »
Here is the lens with the ISO jacked up.

Group shot f2.8 at the rest wide open.

ser, medyo soft yata yung mga shots. out of focus ba or mabagal lang yung shutter?
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 02:25:59 AM »
@kawal...D80 cannot do indoors with my skills and without a strobe tapos galaw pa ng galaw yung mga rawkers.....la talaga.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:28:20 AM by pallas »

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »
^paps, if you have an 85mm f1.4 auto-focusing on a D80, then you have THE perfect setup for low-light photography. i gotta be honest, that duo is my dream setup.
these are my tips for lowlight photography, based on your setup:

1. set your D80 to shutter speed priority mode.
2. set it to ISO 800.
3. set the shutter speed to 1/125. this will automatically set your lens to a wider aperture. if it does not get as wide as f1.4, then set the shutter speed faster. this way, you have less or almost no chance of getting a blurred shot. mabilis eh.
4. kung medyo madilim naman ang 1/125 na speed, you may slow down the shutter by a step until you get ample light on your shot.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2009, 03:42:29 AM »
^paps, if you have an 85mm f1.4 auto-focusing on a D80, then you have THE perfect setup for low-light photography. i gotta be honest, that duo is my dream setup.
these are my tips for lowlight photography, based on your setup:

1. set your D80 to shutter speed priority mode.
2. set it to ISO 800.
3. set the shutter speed to 1/125. this will automatically set your lens to a wider aperture. if it does not get as wide as f1.4, then set the shutter speed faster. this way, you have less or almost no chance of getting a blurred shot. mabilis eh.
4. kung medyo madilim naman ang 1/125 na speed, you may slow down the shutter by a step until you get ample light on your shot.

D80 focus isnt that fast. Mas mabilis pa focus motor drive ng nikon f90X.

With that said ill try your pointers bro.

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »
Bought a lightstand tsaka shoot thru umbrella and got everything under P2K.
Now i need another flash to do cross lighting. So much fun :-D

sir, tutok niyo po yung flash sa may center ng umbrella para mas spread pa yung ilaw  :-)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: God gave me a D80 and then there was light....
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »
Yun nga pre di ko matutok dahil parang di ko ma-adjust para tumama sa centro.
Kung may isa pa akong flash san ko sya ilalagay?

Thanks sa tip pre :-D

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »

hehe ma-adjust niyo rin po yan.

isa pang flash? usually rim light na po para magkaroon talaga ng separation from the background yung subject.  :-)

Offline ihopethisnamecounts

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »

i think may mga umbrella mounts na angled yung slots to align with the flash.. try mo sir isaksak from the other side.. kung hindi man, what you could do is place the umbrella as farther away from the flash head as possible. then set the flash zoom to it's widest setting.. if your flash is mounted on a receiver via the hotshoe, you might consider attaching it via other means instead (like yung mga ports sa gilid ng flash) para di masyado mataas yung flash from the mount, although usually di naman ganun kalaki ang difference..

as for the flash placement, maraming pwedeng gawin depende sa gusto mong shot.. pwedeng on-camera or malapit sa camera for fill light.. or sa mejo likod/gilid ng subject for rim light.. or you could light the background (the wall or the counter or both).. or aim it at the ceiling to give a good spread of light in the whole scene..
"Whether I'm wrong or right, please keep my life in sight and never take Your eyes off me..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2010, 02:34:22 AM »
From the pic wala na talaga syang play para tumama yung flash sa gitna....did i buy the wrong light stand head?
May iba pa sigurong light stand head na FULLY ADJUSTABLE?

Thanks sa comments guys....keep em coming.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:36:32 AM by pallas »

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 03:42:25 AM »

bro, you can try putting a simple reflector sa opposite side nung flash para kahit papaano mag-cross-light na rin. you'd probably be able to put highlight on the elements on the RIGHT SIDE of the picture like the side of the nostrils, the jaw-line, the ears and the hair. use the white side of an illustration board or a styrofoam sheet.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2010, 03:21:00 AM »
Kawal pre....mismo.

Like a mirror of some sort to reflect some light back on the other side of the face.

Also planning on getting a tri-grip diffuser...oks ba sya?

Offline roan

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »
Sir ilan po actuation limit ng d80? thanks

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »
^ang alam ko 50k and shutter reliability nya.

pallas, ano yung tri-grip diffuser? di pa ako masyadong familiar sa lighting equipment eh. nasira nga yung flash ko eh. badtrip.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2010, 02:44:23 PM »
Handheld reflector yun pre na parang payong pero parang triangle ang hugis.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: It might be my last day on earth.....
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »

Its the most expensive thing i bought personally for myself to date.

Thomas the tank engine silver plated VINTAGE 1968 :-o

.......kidding :lol:

Nanginginig pa nga tuhod ko nung lumabas ako sa shop.
Still cant believe i bought it. My head is still spinning as im typing.

La akong DSLR ngayon so wag nyo akong kulitin sa pics at review for now.
I was torn between getting a d700 and this but the lens won hands down.

As usual the shop i bought it badtrip. La ka man lang konting pamigay at medyo
suplado kasi siguro di nila masyadong alam english.
But i demanded to see two units at least pinagbigyan nila ako.

Pag pinatay ako ni misis automatic kay junior na ito.

Oh and there is no return policy :|......100k wasted :x
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:25:53 PM by pallas »