hulika

Author Topic: ever heard of PLDT's wireless?  (Read 4847 times)

Offline FinkPloyd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
ever heard of PLDT's wireless?
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:00:04 PM »
yung NIC daw nya is worth 10k. pero no exact details yet.
any details out here?

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »
Are you referrinng to PLDT WeRoam? That service is based on a GPRS/EDGE card that fits in a laptop's PCMCIA slot. It picks up wireless Internet from Smart's GSM network.

Unless you're talking about something else...

Offline FinkPloyd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:25:16 PM »
that's the one sir! any reviews on the integrity of the service?
i'm really interested to avail this...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 03:10:15 PM »
I used to write a tech column in Business Day magazine ("Gadget Nation") and Entrepreneur Magazine ("Tech Talk"), and I reviewed WeRoam, actually got a test unit and put it through its paces but this was back in 2005. It works as advertised in the sense that you can get connected, check your mail etc. I wasn't that impressed with speed because SMART didn't deploy its EDGE widely enough at the time, it was limited only to certain "business corridors" - mainly Makat CBD, Ortigas Center, etc. - everwhere else you connected through GPRS which was at best dialup speeds.

However, the wireless broadband scene has changed a lot since then - SMART has more EDGE coverage nowadays, and 3G is now a reality with nationwide coverage. I heard they have a 3G card now for WeRoam.

The best thing I thought about the service was because it was a flat rate service (like DSL), you could stay connected remotely for hours without worrying about connect time charges.

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Re: ever heard of PLDT's wireless?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »
weroam 3G is fast for a wireless  :-D. the best part of it, you can watch youtube anywhere as long as you have a 3G signal.  :-D
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:30:33 AM »
Things have changed since my last post. PLDT as it turns out now uses HSDPA cards with WeRoam. Smart's 3G network is HSDPA enabled.

HSDPA allows for speeds up to 1.8 mbps (tests in Europe bring this up to 3.6 mbps). Plain old 3G is just 384 kbps (plenty fast for me though)

Globe's own HSDPA product is called Visibility.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline mojahista

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »
but the problem is, hindi pa ganun kaganda signal stability ng 3g, esp sa provinces. lalo na sa globe. even dito sa metro manila, madami pa rin spots na walang 3g signal :| :? :x :oops: :cry:

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:46:39 PM »
I don't have WeRoam but I use my 3G phone to connect my laptop to the net. I'm using Smart's 3G network and so far it's a wide 3G signal... in the sense that I don't encounter too many dead spots. In Metro Manila anyway.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom