hulika

Author Topic: "PAF-like" PUPS  (Read 2200 times)

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
"PAF-like" PUPS
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
im thinking of switching PUPS for my LP from alnico II's to a PAF clone. However, even PAF's have varied readings as they are handwound, and thus, some may sound different from one another (im thinking PAF tones in reference to page, clapo,green tones btw). im wondering which among the sought after PUPs are closest to a PAF.im thinking wolftone,WB,BK but what do you guys think? thank you in advance :-D

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "PAF-like" PUPS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
there used to be some literature on best PAF reproduction shootout in vintage guitar magazine, and fralins won. that was before the boutique pickup manufacturer explosion. nowadays, competition is tight among wolftone and bk.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/reviews_hb.asp
http://www.flyingvintage.com/gcmag/PAF.html

i only have the gibson PAF reissue, but they're not bad at all. theyre just picky with matching tonewoods. i prefer low output HBs from 7.5-8k, they produce nice woody tones

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
Since you are already using alnico II's, imo, you're already in the ballpark, and good to go...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
just to put this out there...

i've heard some of those boutiques but the VH1s on the Burny LPs i've owned are, IMO, as advertised -- the best MIJ PAF clones.  they're around 8.1k, iirc. not sure about the magnet used but they can get those tones you mentioned.

so to amplify vjoe's point... you can get in the neighborhood w/o having to limit your options to boutique.  in fact, i remember the Classic 57s faring very well in that HB shootout, better than some boutiques.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:47:30 PM by deltaslim »

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »
Since you are already using alnico II's, imo, you're already in the ballpark, and good to go...
+1
the A2P is very PAF-sounding already.

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:10:58 PM »
+1
the A2P is very PAF-sounding already.

yeah i noticed too,but there are audible diffenrences tonewise, the APHII being slightly hotter,is a bit dark to my ears ( somthing that i liked most of the time, until i geared towards a paradigm shift to my approach on tone) the wolftone brought clearer notes and pronounced bloom when i put a pair on :-D

i wonder what the timbucker sounds-very intresting

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »
i prefer playing at breakup levels now, but i tried dr v's on the savage channel of the my voodoo hex and the wolftone dr v's are very quiet, considering they were not waxed

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
i have this one on order:

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/2008/07/throbak-vintage.html

very, very expensive PAF-replica. but i couldn't help it. it is made with the same winding machines that made the original 50s PAF, NOS PE wire, sand cast alnico magnets(the ones used in the 50s), DMC covers. i'm still on the waiting list. 3-4 weeks wait pa :-(

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:04:55 AM »
Hook up a set of DR V's. I sold my set to a forum member and I think he loves em. Im all out though .. but they are affordable and pretty good.

Offline rasj76

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 04:54:53 AM »
i have this one on order:

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/2008/07/throbak-vintage.html

very, very expensive PAF-replica. but i couldn't help it. it is made with the same winding machines that made the original 50s PAF, NOS PE wire, sand cast alnico magnets(the ones used in the 50s), DMC covers. i'm still on the waiting list. 3-4 weeks wait pa :-(

Niiiice!!!! :evil: :-)

I've been GASsing for one as a result of hanging out too much at the LPF. :lol:

i've exchanged emails with jon but i'm still undecided if i should pull the trigger. it's friggin expensive and i'm still enjoying the WCR GW's installed on my R8.

tell us what you think when it arrives. :-)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »
other stuff i tried and liked

Eden vintage alnico II Pafs
Belcat Alnico 5 pAfs
Guitarheads hexbuckers
Guitarheads super alnicos
Bedez 8.00USD pafs lol

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »
i've tried a couple too. i've always liked the more open-less "ipit" sound you get from the lower output buckers.

if i were to rank them from "more open-less ipit" to more middy (and modern-ish):
Skatterbrane alnico II - di ko alam yung output readings but it is pretty bell like sa clarity. got a set in the burny custom.
SD antiquity - pretty close to the skatterbranes (yung difference might actually be due to other factors like the guitars they were mounted on) and i'd say the best bang for the buck sa PAF clones (or any vintage style pickup for that matter). yung seth lover sounds almost identical but has a bit more clang and clarity.
Gibson burstbucker - di ko alam kung ano yung nasubukan ko (number 2 and 3 yata)
SD APII - warm and woody. tip: yung pang neck nito, actually sounds very good and PAF-ish sa bridge position (you can pair it up with a seth lover sa neck and it would balance nicely)
Burny late 80s-early90s VH1 - i've read that these got wound hotter after the first few years they were out. burny made these from '84 to '96. the older, early-80s sets would probably rank higher than this. the ones i sampled sounded a similar to a burny L8000 that was on a Burny LP custom i tried earlier this year.
Dimarzio Virtual PAF - ties with the SD'59 (from what i remember)
SD '59 -  sound pretty aggressive when dirty pero for clean tones, these do actually sound a bit less ipit than the APII to my ears. got one on the Edwards' neck position, thinking about swapping out the JB in the bridge for a bridge position '59 too.
Gibson '57/'57+ - i sampled this set almost 10 years ago so my memory of them is foggy at best but i remember thinking they sounded a bit muffled (and this was back when i was into high gain sounds and liked high output buckers :lol:)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:22:11 AM by nathanmanansala »

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »
you might want to consider the magnets in the pups as well :) They range from A2's to A3's to A4's to A5's :) makes the choice even more confusing hehe :)
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline juzaen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 02:28:48 AM »
 :-D Dr. Vintage set....
MY TOYS: 2001 Gibson 1958 Reissue, MesaBoogie subway blues, Springfield armory XDM 40sw, CZ SP01 shadow and MY GLOCK 23 40sw

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »
you might want to consider the magnets in the pups as well :) They range from A2's to A3's to A4's to A5's :) makes the choice even more confusing hehe :)

true that! hehe

@nathan-i agree with the open less ipit thing low output pups give...and you can actually hear the notes!

@juzaen and miks-yep yep dr v's are indeed good, allows me to really crank an amp and rely on natural tube overdrive, and i love the aged nickel cover :-D